ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:57 PM   #1
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

First long distance trip

This Sunday I'm going to be leaving for a weeklong trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains on the ninjette, covering over 1,000 miles. Our plan is to ride the length of the parkway, camping at various places along the route. This is my first long distance motorcycle trip, so I'm getting paranoid about having everything in order and wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions of what else to bring.

Here's what I have so far:

Left Saddle Bag
• Clothes (packed in garbage bag for waterproofing)
• Towel
• extra garbage bag to hold dirty clothes

Right Saddle Bag
• 20 degree sleeping bag in waterproof compression sack
• Twin size air mattress w/ pump

Tail Bag
• First Aid kit
• Rain Gear
• Multi-tool and Knife
• Flashlights (Torch and headlamp)
• 550 cord
• Duct tape wrapped around golf pencil
• Notepad
• Food (mostly snacks for quick stops. We'll eat out and buy camp food while we're down there)
• Toiletry items (Soap, Toothpaste/brush, medicines, fingernail clippers, bug spray)

Tank Bag
• Snacks
• Water
• Maps
• Cell phone charger
• Clear visor (I'll have smoked on my helmet most of the time)

Another rider in our group (with a bigger bike) will be carrying our tents, so I don't have to worry about that.

Also, any general maintenance on the bike that should be checked before I leave to make sure she runs smoothly the whole time. I've checked and replaced all the fluids (except oil, which has about 500 miles on it now), and just put on some new tires. Anything else you guys can think of?
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

From the riding skills sticky:

Quote:
Riding Long Distances: Thread 1, Thread 2, Thread 3, Thread 4, Thread 5

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:06 PM   #3
kirk595x
ninjette.org guru

Name: Robbie

Motorcycle(s): 03' Ninja 250ex

I would strongly suggest grip warmers if you dont have them already. The cheap route is Cycle Gear. I bought mine for $20 and they're inserts. They have a set with grips for $40..it's a cleaner look. Do you have a 12v outlet? And perhaps a small portable compressor? I know it's only 1,000 miles but theres some things that will make life alot more bearable when things or elements get bad.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:43 PM   #4
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

toilet paper just in case
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:44 AM   #5
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

You shouldn't need heated grips this time of year down there. And I'd also suggest the tool kit that came with your bike if by chance you still have it. When are you going?
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:14 PM   #6
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Hey, you're doing the reverse trip of mine! I just passed the Blue Ridge Mountains and went through OH. If we'd have timed it better, we could have high-fived as we passed!

Anyway: I would def. take a tire-repair kit. I haven't had to use mine yet, but it puts my mind at ease. Also really helpful: a small-sized 'de-bugger' spray. Your visor gets NASTY quick when doing a lot of miles in the mountains, and that stuff makes it a lot easier to keep your visibility up.

Although you certainly won't needed heated elements, definitely take a thick base layer, and glove/boot warmers if you have them. In DC, we're gonna be in the 60s this weekend, which just goes to show how unpredictable the weather can be. Add some altitude and early mornings, and a little extra insulation will keep you much more comfortable.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:23 PM   #7
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Name: pimpybra

Motorcycle(s): Yellow 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk595x View Post
I would strongly suggest grip warmers if you dont have them already. The cheap route is Cycle Gear. I bought mine for $20 and they're inserts. They have a set with grips for $40..it's a cleaner look. Do you have a 12v outlet? And perhaps a small portable compressor? I know it's only 1,000 miles but theres some things that will make life alot more bearable when things or elements get bad.
I got a set of grip warmers from ebay for like $4. They're just the thin 'sheets' held on with 1" heat shrink tubing, but I put them over my grips, and they get PLENTY hot. Been VERY happy with them.
pimpybra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 04:03 PM   #8
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
From the riding skills sticky:
Gah! Alex, I thought I looked there but alas, you come with great info as usual. Thank you, sir!

I've considered grip warmers and thought about picking some up from Iron Pony today but their cheapest set was $30. A little steep, when I've heard great things from the ebay cheapos. I may go that route but it'll have to wait till I get back.

TP is a definite must-bring and I can't believe I forgot it! Thanks!

I do still have the tool kit, and it will be coming with me as well. Safely tucked under the seat.

I still need to pick up a tire repair kit! Maybe I can find one at walmart or an Autozone in the next couple days. Would you recommend the kind with the CO2 or the battery powered inflater?
I do have some Bugslide that works wonders on my visor though! Good suggestion!

Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:47 PM   #9
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpybra View Post
I got a set of grip warmers from ebay for like $4. They're just the thin 'sheets' held on with 1" heat shrink tubing, but I put them over my grips, and they get PLENTY hot. Been VERY happy with them.
link?

Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:01 PM   #10
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickt0mmy View Post
Gah! Alex, I thought I looked there but alas, you come with great info as usual. Thank you, sir!

I've considered grip warmers and thought about picking some up from Iron Pony today but their cheapest set was $30. A little steep, when I've heard great things from the ebay cheapos. I may go that route but it'll have to wait till I get back.

TP is a definite must-bring and I can't believe I forgot it! Thanks!

I do still have the tool kit, and it will be coming with me as well. Safely tucked under the seat.

I still need to pick up a tire repair kit! Maybe I can find one at walmart or an Autozone in the next couple days. Would you recommend the kind with the CO2 or the battery powered inflater?
I do have some Bugslide that works wonders on my visor though! Good suggestion!
Baby wipes are much more versatile, they don't disintegrate if they get wet & if you don't have access to a shower use one or 2 each for personal hygene:
face & neck
arms & hands,
legs & feet,
chest & pits,
back sack & crack
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:28 PM   #11
slickt0mmy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Baby wipes are much more versatile, they don't disintegrate if they get wet & if you don't have access to a shower use one or 2 each for personal hygene:
face & neck
arms & hands,
legs & feet,
chest & pits,
back sack & crack
Haha that is very true, and I actually picked some up today at the store. I remember going through the police academy, we had PT in the mornings and class started just 10 minutes afterward. Baby wipes were a godsend for not smelling like crap all day.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:28 PM   #12
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickt0mmy View Post
If you have a ton of space, the powered inflator might be more helpful and versatile (could use in your garage as well). However, since space is always at an absolute premium for me, I have a kit with the cartridges. You should be able to get decent pressure with just a couple cartridges (enough to get you to a gas station), so that's a major space saver. My whole repair kit fits in a little bag the size of my fist.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:21 PM   #13
pimpybra
ninjette.org member

Name: pimpybra

Motorcycle(s): Yellow 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplante View Post
link?
Pretty much something like these. I bought them months ago, and the only problem is that it came from China and took a few weeks to get here.

I've heard mixed results, and when I tried the warmers under the grip, they didn't warm enough. Over the grip (and then also inside my handlebar mitts), they are plenty hot.
pimpybra is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #14
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Sounds like an amazing trip. I'm starting to plan/pack for a long distance ride cross country so your list is actually helping me out a bit.

I think you've got most of everything. Only thing I can think of is maybe zip-ties and a few extra ziplock bags. Always comes in handy. Also, if you didnt already know, dont wipe up the bugs w/ your glove. Smearing is worse.

For tire repair kit, there are a few versions. I like the plugs over the patches and I also got one of those small pumps that plug into the bike's 12v battery. Much easier than pumping and reusable over CO2 canisters.
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Mo...=pd_sbs_auto_1

How many miles do you think you'll be riding each day? If it exceeds 200+, I'd get a crampbuster to relax your throttle wrist. Oh, dont forget a small bottle of chain wax.
http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-...in+lube+bottle
Check that chain lube and make sure the formulation is ok for motorcycle chains. I remember someone mentioning the aerosol version changed formulation and is now not usable.

Edit: Just checked. This one isnt good. Find the dupont chain saver version instead. Also can be found in the bottle form for easy travel.

http://www.crampbuster.com/
Crampbuster. I have the narrow one. Works very well on those long rides on the freeway. I wouldnt use them on twisties obviously.

Old May 24th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #15
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

Some suggestions

Weather this time of year still unpredictable. Don't know how you are for funds but renting a cabin for a sapce in a cabin (sleeps) four might be less of a headache than carrying and inflatable bed. I've done Ohio to Daytona and a couple other places 2K trips and if I have to camp I take the following on my Ninja.

Kelty Crestone One Man Tent
Thermorest 4' inflatable mattress (folds up maybe 7" long by 4" around)
Take a pillow cover with you. Put your clothes in it at night and it will make a great pillow.

Ninja pretty builit proof minimal tools like the factory tool kit should do it. Best tool is cell phone.

Unless you have spoons and know how to use them getting a flat is a bitch. Get a cheap plug kit like at Walmart and several C02 cylinders. Lighter and less space taken up than an air pump. I have an air compressor on my BME touring bike but it's a heck of a lot bigger platform with more storage available for things like compressors.

Hard wire a cigarette or accesory plug. Put a male plug on what ever you carry. Good to charge cell phone and use GPS.

Carry a good Northeastern USA map. Nothing fails you with a paper map should something happen to GPS.

Finally Aerostitch sells a cheap throttle lock that works amazingly well. Piece of plastic that is slit and you slide over grip. When you get to speed simply push it against your brake lever and it holds your speed. Used one all the way down and back to Daytona (2K0, Watkins Glen and Indy GP.

Make sure your ties have good tread (easiest way to combat flats) and that they have the proper tire pressure. Check chain tension and lube.

Now swing your leg over and get out of here Wardie

Old May 24th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #16
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
face & neck
arms & hands,
legs & feet,
chest & pits,
back sack & crack
Make sure you get the order right.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #17
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Gel seat pad, cause after just 200 miles my prostate felt like it was in my throat. Worst seat ever!
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote