ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:59 AM   #1
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Utility trailer for hauling bikes

here's what's up

Sold truck, getting crossover suv... need trailer to haul bikes, primarily dirt bikes as that is what I will use it for the most.

Been looking at trailers and for primary use a single axle 6x12' open utility would be more than enough but they are not the best trailer for towing for a few reasons. I don't have much experience towing but been reading up and it all makes sense what people say and kind enforces what I was thinking to begin with.

Really like the 6x12' tandem axle open UT's. found nice one for $2300 vs $1600 for single axle. 6x12 tandem would be a little over kill for bikes but would be nice to have for other things if they ever came up. More stable towing, easier to maneuver. Cost little more... not much.

same place has 6x16' tandem on sale for like $2250... they typically don't even carry the 6x12's because the 6x16' is such a better seller even without the sales price. More trailer for cheaper? sounds like a deal? but then my crossover suv isn't exactly a beast so I don't want to use up half of my towing cap in just trailer weight alone and again putting a dirt bike on a 16' tandem trailer seems silly.

THEN... there are enclosed trailers... 6x12' for a little more than the tandem axle open UT. Could probably find a decent enclosed for under $3k.

I have always liked enclosed but again, not sure how much extra weight will be if much at all? and or how a small enclosed single axle trailer tows with a medium sized vehicle?

Right now I am leaning towards the 6x12' open tandem, or a 6x12' enclosed....

any people out there tow a lot? any input? @csmith12 I feel like you will have some input here as you haul your bikes around a good bit.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:20 AM   #2
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Name: Garrett

Motorcycle(s): ZX-3R (ok, ex300)

an enclosed trailer is going to be quite a bit heavier.. I'm not sure I'd recommend pulling one with a crossover unless it's really small.. how many bikes will you need to haul at one time?
GHill762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:24 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
What you can pull starts with what your driving. Whatcha got or gunna git? Tongue weight will be your limit.

I also bought a crossover, 2010 GMC Acadia V6 that pulls a 16x6 single axle open utility (converted boat trailer) with 3 bikes without even breaking a sweat and still gets decent gas mileage considering...

You know that I upgraded to a 16x6 enclosed and the Acadia has to grunt a lil bit to pull the hills of KY when fully track loaded, 3 bikes and a lot of gear and paddock stuff. The gas milage has really sucked with it hooked to the back.

My old hauler setup was a Dodge Durango with a 22ft tandem axle open car trailer. It was pretty awesome, could easily haul 6 bikes + stuff but yea, was WAY.... overkill for a couple of bikes. It came in handy when I needed to haul a car though. hahahahah The maintenance was higher too, tires, bearings and what not and 10mpg really hurt.

Here are the important things to me, considering my long drives to locations with bikes;

It must be quiet! - All the stuff that rattles and bangs around must go in the trailer and not in the truck.
It must smell good! - All smelly stuff goes in the trailer. Gas cans, gear bags and anything else that has body odor or is smelly.
If it's dirty or oily, it goes in the trailer! - Simple enough.
I need my space! - 16ft is actually about the perfect amount of space. Room enough to have some extra for a friend but not small enough to make a real difference in price, handling, mileage or maintenance. Anything smaller and you may find yourself stacking stuff or loading stuff in the back of the truck/SUV that you may not want. You seen my track day item list, it still can get cramped in my trailer when fully loaded.

Overall, there is this final thought. If you have the extra space you will use it. you may not know what your gunna use it for right now, but you will. For example; you are planning to load a dirt bike on the trailer. When in reality... you will have the bike, riding gear, tents, chairs, camping gear, gas/oil, tools, parts and the list goes on and on. hahahahhahaha

Feel me?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:24 AM   #4
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15

I just got this 3 rail trailer, yep, as it sits it's a 1 application trailer, but I will be making a deck for it.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:53 AM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
eventually I'm going to get a 16ft enclosed trailer but for now I'm sticking with uhaul trailers this season and a harbor freight trailer next season if I can't get my hands on a nice enclosed trailer. IMO enclosed is infinitely better as it adds more storage space for more than just a bike. You can store gas cans, extra oil, your race suit/gloves/boots (I'd keep the helmet in the cabin with me) a canopy, some folding chairs, extra parts, etc in an enclosed trailer and it gives you a dedicated place for your track bike(s) when you aren't using it.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:57 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
we are getting a dodge journey, v6 awd. max tow is listed at 2500lbs and I figure tongue is between 250 and 350lbs.

The 6.5x12' open tandem weights around 1250lbs I think, the 6.5x16'er is closer to 1500lbs. So that would leave me with less than 1k of towing capability. Main reason I want the 6x12'er I would have close to 1k left to load onto the trailer.

I am leaning towards the smaller better quality tandem, just seems like it will be more than enough and probably more durable than a cheap enclosed trailer, I don't need an enclosed... would be nice for rainy days though and it does appeal to my lazy side

Edit: when I finally go see the trailers in person I think that will help to. IF the 6x16' doesn't look all that big I will probably get it.

for got to add, It would be 4 bikes at one time at most. probably generally 2 at a time and 2 dirtbikes at that. so only around 450lbs of bike, + other goodies I would be well under weight. Even with all 4 bikes I would barely clip 1000lbs

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:00 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
eventually I'm going to get a 16ft enclosed trailer but for now I'm sticking with uhaul trailers this season and a harbor freight trailer next season if I can't get my hands on a nice enclosed trailer. IMO enclosed is infinitely better as it adds more storage space for more than just a bike. You can store gas cans, extra oil, your race suit/gloves/boots (I'd keep the helmet in the cabin with me) a canopy, some folding chairs, extra parts, etc in an enclosed trailer and it gives you a dedicated place for your track bike(s) when you aren't using it.
^^^ true, I also use my enclosed for storage trailer while not in use and it's already loaded when time to go. As far as the little stray stuff on an open trailer, just install a big lock box. It will give you a place for oil, straps and what nots. I put 2 of them on my open trailer, very handy.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:01 AM   #8
GHill762
ninjette.org member

you have to consider braking too, and wheelbase.. a jeep wrangler can pull things, getting them stopped is another story.. I was told by a jeep salesman it can actually lift the rear of the wrangler up under heavy braking with a trailer.. so being able to pull something "without breaking a sweat" doesn't tell the whole story.. realistically, an open trailer with a few dirt bikes on it shouldn't be a problem..

Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:04 AM   #9
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post

I just got this 3 rail trailer, yep, as it sits it's a 1 application trailer, but I will be making a deck for it.
that's a lot to be pulling with a jetta.. be careful with that..

Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:04 AM   #10
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHill762 View Post
you have to consider braking too, and wheelbase.. a jeep wrangler can pull things, getting them stopped is another story.. I was told by a jeep salesman it can actually lift the rear of the wrangler up under heavy braking with a trailer.. so being able to pull something "without breaking a sweat" doesn't tell the whole story.. realistically, an open trailer with a few dirt bikes on it shouldn't be a problem..
valid point, the tandem open UT comes with brakes probably not so much on the budget enclosed trailer

Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:25 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Indeed good addition GHill762, braking is of utmost importance. My Acadia has no problems stopping either of my trailers fully loaded and neither has trailer brakes. My Durango is a different story while pulling the car hauler with 6 bikes. The front liked to lock up and slide in the wet. That trailer should have it's own electric brakes to be considered more "fool proof" but is manageable enough if you know what you're doing.

Now... when hauling, your driving habits need to change. It's common sense stuff really, more following distance and such. If you have to lift the wheels to stop, the problem isn't really with the brakes if ya know what I mean. Sure there are emergencies and all but vehicles pulling trailers are not known for their ability to stop on a dime.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:33 AM   #12
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
If you have to lift the wheels to stop, the problem isn't really with the brakes if ya know what I mean.
I say that not out of personal experience, but from word of mouth from the dealer - he said he had it happen to him once.. and he was still trying to sell me one... but that was a deal breaker for me since I have to pull trailers, campers, boats, etc.. and I would have probably had to use a trailer twice as much actually considering it doesn't have a bed..

Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:55 AM   #13
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
It's a diesel.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:56 AM   #14
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
It was no problem at all, plenty of brakes, just enough power to get moving. Maintaining the speed limit was no problem in the flat, mountains I lost some speed, but still made all of the climbs on I-75 with no real issue. I still got 33 MPG avg at 75 mph ( it's a diesel).

I'm getting a tune, and helper bags in the back, then I will have 0 issues.
I'm also looking into trailer brakes just to be safe.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:06 AM   #15
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
It's a diesel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
It was no problem at all, plenty of brakes, just enough power to get moving. Maintaining the speed limit was no problem in the flat, mountains I lost some speed, but still made all of the climbs on I-75 with no real issue. I still got 33 MPG avg at 75 mph ( it's a diesel).

I'm getting a tune, and helper bags in the back, then I will have 0 issues.
I'm also looking into trailer brakes just to be safe.
it's not the power I was concerned with, but the weight ratio.. that's a lot of weight compared to the weight of that little car.. like I said, just be careful..

Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:06 AM   #16
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

I use a 5x8' utility trailer that my brother got from tractor supply on sale for 500$. Its a lot smaller than what you are looking at but very economical. Dirt bikes don't really need an enclosed trailer do they?

It is a perfect size for utility, motorcycles, camping, lawn equipment.

Very light and affordable- Ours has steel webbing for the deck where as the one I linked has wood. I use a couple sheets of diamond plate under the street bikes when I move them.

I have used it to easily haul 2 sport bikes side by side, 3 dirt bikes (2 forward one back ward), a snowmobile and tons of scrap metal and other odd junk( Piano, Refrigerator, 3 phase industrial planer, 3 55 gal drums of fuel)

the same trailer http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...25-lb-capacity

As far as storage. I usually install a shelf in front above the hitch area that holds gas cans and a tool box. A used truck tool box that locks or even those weather tight plastic bins with the hinge and padlock work. I bolt it all down and seal the holes with silicone.

I stuff my ridding gear, boots, camping stuff in there.
The coolers go in the tow vehicle with clothing and whatnot

I haven't been ridding dirt bikes or atvs in a couple years so I have gotten rid of my trailers
Usually converted boat trailers because they are long and light- add a deck, tool box, salt/rock guard and perfect bike hauler for a budget.

My chevy silverado with an 8 foot bed can carry two bikes(dirt or sport bikes) and I still have the tool box.
My brother has a bed topper that is 6.5x7 that can carry 2 quads or 4 dirt bikes packed carefully and you have the entire compartment of the bed for storage(short bed dodge)
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:10 AM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

If you're only ever going to haul 1 or 2 dirt bikes or smaller bikes, you could go this route. I know one rider that hauls her ninja 250 on the back of her jeep like this.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:16 AM   #18
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If you're only ever going to haul 1 or 2 dirt bikes or smaller bikes, you could go this route. I know one rider that hauls her ninja 250 on the back of her jeep like this.

that's nice... what's something like that cost?

Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:17 AM   #19
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ yeah thought about that. but I would put a trailer to use for other things as well sooner or later.

don't need an enclosed trailer for dirt bikes.... but when you roll up people know you mean business

I am generally the kind of person who would rather spend $2k on something nice and reliable vs $500 on something of questionable quality especially something I would be towing being my new vehicle with my goodies on board.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:20 AM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
that's nice... what's something like that cost?
Cheap one's start @ $99 and go up as much as you wanna spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
^ yeah thought about that. but I would put a trailer to use for other things as well sooner or later.

don't need and enclosed trailer for dirt bikes.... but when you roll up people know you mean business

I am generally the kind of person who would rather spend $2k on something nice and reliable vs $500 on something of questionable quality especially something I would be towing being my new vehicle with my goodies on board.
We think a lot alike.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:29 AM   #21
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I love my 7x16 enclosed trailer with A/C. I used to go the cheap route and pull a utility trailer with a GMC Sonoma 4cyl. Then I found the comfort of my F-250 with a roomy 7x16. Now i can bring all my tools to the track.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:51 PM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Jeep with a hitch mount rack with ninja 250 on it, like I was talkin' bout.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181643

Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:20 PM   #23
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.........any input?.......
Don't forget to make some room in the trailer for the loading ramp, ..... unless you use something like this:

http://www.rampfree.com/

Last futzed with by Motofool; May 24th, 2014 at 08:35 AM.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:34 PM   #24
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Jeep with a hitch mount rack with ninja 250 on it, like I was talkin' bout.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=181643
seems like a lot of weight to have directly on the tow hitch mechanism? IDK?

Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:53 PM   #25
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
buy a trailer from hans. he builds them by hand.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:46 PM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
seems like a lot of weight to have directly on the tow hitch mechanism? IDK?
Naw, think abou it... If your gunna roll up to a 1500lb enclosed trailer and then load 3 bikes in it, how much weight is on the hitch? Yep, more than a single ninja 250.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:53 PM   #27
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ yeah, i guess, the bikes would be up front enough that the weight would be on the hitch.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:17 PM   #28
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

You need to be careful with the jeep.We have a 2012 wrangler the hitch is the weak point it is attached to the weak crossmember and it flexes with 1 Honda crf230l on it. it also likes to wag the tail. I tried airbags but found adding weight to the front is what stabilized it. I really miss our pickup but the jeep tows easily behind our class A rv.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:00 PM   #29
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:

those really mess with handling. i work out with a guy with a similar set up and i asked him about it. he stated that it feels unstable going up hills.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2014, 11:33 PM   #30
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

Here is my Track bike trailer-

And the epic build thread I'm constantly updating-
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...=179693&page=3

As I do ALOT of travelling (the two tracks are 350 & 550km away, so its always a 1000-1200km return trip.) I need a light, low narrow 1-2 bike trailer built right for high speed towing, so self building is the only way to get what I want.
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #31
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Thumbs up

Your trailer project = art

I've made some "custom " home built trailers

Usually involves a sawzaw, boat trailer, used truck tool box, PT lumber and different metal scraps.

The craftsman ship of your trailer is top notch.

Old May 24th, 2014, 07:03 AM   #32
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufitt View Post
Here is my Track bike trailer-

And the epic build thread I'm constantly updating-
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showth...=179693&page=3

As I do ALOT of travelling (the two tracks are 350 & 550km away, so its always a 1000-1200km return trip.) I need a light, low narrow 1-2 bike trailer built right for high speed towing, so self building is the only way to get what I want.

Old May 24th, 2014, 07:05 AM   #33
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
those really mess with handling. i work out with a guy with a similar set up and i asked him about it. he stated that it feels unstable going up hills.
My experience w the hitch carriers
On a full size SUV or pickup truck- hardly know its there

On a jeep - it's like ridding a bicycle w a fat friend standing on your back pegs

Also- people never have accessory tail lights behind the hitch carrier

Bad idea - extra lights are a NEED

Getting rear ended through your motorcycle sucks , and you can be partially responsible if you have obscured tail lights

Old May 24th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #34
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Just throwing more ideas:
These are easy to fold up and stand up for storage requiring minimal space.

http://www.kendonusa.com/trailers.html

Old May 24th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #35
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

This is what I made...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old May 24th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #36
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Just throwing more ideas:
These are easy to fold up and stand up for storage requiring minimal space.

http://www.kendonusa.com/trailers.html

I have the Kendon Dirt Bike trailer with the upgraded axle for street bikes. Love it to death
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #37
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
I have the Kendon Dirt Bike trailer with the upgraded axle for street bikes. Love it to death
Talk to me about the upgraded axle; I have a 2013 3-rail dirtbike one, and it is supposed to be rated for 1500 lbs (they then estimate 3 dirtbikes, 2 sportbikes, or 1 heavy-weight touring bike). Is this already the upgraded axle, or is there something else available?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #38
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Talk to me about the upgraded axle; I have a 2013 3-rail dirtbike one, and it is supposed to be rated for 1500 lbs (they then estimate 3 dirtbikes, 2 sportbikes, or 1 heavy-weight touring bike). Is this already the upgraded axle, or is there something else available?
That's the upgraded axle From what I understand almost all the 3 rails have it because it makes the trailer way more versatile for not much more cost.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2014, 07:02 PM   #39
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
those kendon's seem pretty pricey for what ya get.... no?

Old May 24th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #40
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
So. One of those little single rail moto-specifc trailers. Think I'd be okay hauling that with say... my little Scion tC?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote