ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 27th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #1
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Name: Dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Just watched twist of the wrist 2

And it was definitely alot more than I could process, so I will watch it a few more times, but I will say I learned alot, and it cleared up on some things that MSF didn't mention or wasn't so clear about. First and foremost is the smooth rolling on of the throttle throughout the turn, my MSF instructors on said to roll on the throttle so I always rolled on and kept it at a single point throughout the turn thinking that's what it meant. Another thing I learned was that I was way to tense on the bike, something I even did in MSF class that the instructors never corrected me on or mentioned anything about. The last thing I picked up was positioning my body and using my legs, another thing they don't even mention in MSF. I'm pretty sure there are many more things I missed, but for now I think I'm gonna go practice these 3 things and then watch it again and pickup something new. Overall I think its a much watch for everyone, I think I may even get the book!
DennyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #2
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyV View Post
Overall I think its a much watch for everyone, I think I may even get the book!
Definitely get the book! It's handy to have as a reference. I learn something new every time I read it or refer to it. I actually take it to the track with me every time I go, just in case I come across something I have a question about. Glad you watched it!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #3
blackoutt
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6, 08 250R

I love that movie, and the book's pretty good too! Definitely too much to think about all at once at first. Pick one thing, perfect it, then move on to the next, then combine them and perfect them together, then add another. You'll see your skills progress quickly.

Old June 27th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I also watched it last week and since then I've been planning to get the book but it's sadly not Kindled yet and I've resolved no more physical books (I donated 3 full size book shelves last year; they're my weakness).
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #5
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

The information from the movie is excellent! I always suggest it to my friends who also ride.

Old June 27th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

anywhere i can watch it online without buying the dvd?

Old June 27th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
There's a Korean subbed clip of it here that might give you a good idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWH_QiXw5n4
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2012, 01:04 AM   #8
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

That video changed my riding habits soooo much.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2012, 11:36 PM   #9
Renner
Ignoring Jiggles

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '06 Ninja 250R (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
anywhere i can watch it online without buying the dvd?
I have a copy in my dropbox.com folder...if you want the link pm me and you can DL it to your PC
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:38 PM   #10
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

awesome resource! i learned alot and still go back and watch more.
bought the book as well and have read.
last week i let my 9 yr old son watch after buying him a 50cc pocketbike... i was gonna shut it off after the countersteering and throttle control portion cuz thats what i wnted him to work on... he told me to leave it on as i got a shower and when i came bac ready to take him to ride he was still watching intently over an hour into it.
we went to the lot and i set up trashcan track and he started ripping around it and stopping every couple laps to tell me a diff technique he learned from the vid! he wound up lapping the course faster and faster, with good body position, throttle control, corner speed, and much more! he even scraped his pegs a couple times his lean angle was over so much!
kids are really like little sponges absorbing all kinds of info.
trying to get him out for his first real minimoto race this weekend

Old July 3rd, 2012, 03:42 AM   #11
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Coming from a teacher of 9 year olds, right on dad!!

Old July 5th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #12
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyV View Post
And it was definitely alot more than I could process, so I will watch it a few more times, but I will say I learned alot, and it cleared up on some things that MSF didn't mention or wasn't so clear about. First and foremost is the smooth rolling on of the throttle throughout the turn, my MSF instructors on said to roll on the throttle so I always rolled on and kept it at a single point throughout the turn thinking that's what it meant. Another thing I learned was that I was way to tense on the bike, something I even did in MSF class that the instructors never corrected me on or mentioned anything about. The last thing I picked up was positioning my body and using my legs, another thing they don't even mention in MSF. I'm pretty sure there are many more things I missed, but for now I think I'm gonna go practice these 3 things and then watch it again and pickup something new. Overall I think its a much watch for everyone, I think I may even get the book!
Great I know a few people in that movie

I think it is a good point you make about watching it a few times in order to be able to absorb the info, there is a LOT there!

It's often a good idea to pick one section at a time, watch it, practice it and then move on. It's how the school is run, one thing at a time.

If you have any questions about any of the techniques within the movie just let me know and I'll do my best to answer!

Misti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaol1n Monk View Post
awesome resource! i learned alot and still go back and watch more.
bought the book as well and have read.
last week i let my 9 yr old son watch after buying him a 50cc pocketbike... i was gonna shut it off after the countersteering and throttle control portion cuz thats what i wnted him to work on... he told me to leave it on as i got a shower and when i came bac ready to take him to ride he was still watching intently over an hour into it.
we went to the lot and i set up trashcan track and he started ripping around it and stopping every couple laps to tell me a diff technique he learned from the vid! he wound up lapping the course faster and faster, with good body position, throttle control, corner speed, and much more! he even scraped his pegs a couple times his lean angle was over so much!
kids are really like little sponges absorbing all kinds of info.
trying to get him out for his first real minimoto race this weekend
Awesome! I coach some of the young kids and am always amazed at how fast they soak up all the info, even the technical stuff that we often think they are too young for. Kids are amazing! Then they start riding faster than me

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #13
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Misti! Welcome back!!! We've missed you.

Old July 6th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #14
jboyd12
ninjette.org member

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250 Special Edition

I just watched it too! It was a little long, so I was really captured by it in the beginning but by the end my boyfriend and I were too distracted, and not learning much. But overall, definitely a good movie and really informative. I learned a lot.
jboyd12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #15
Shaol1n Monk
shaol1n ninja stuntman

Name: Jae

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Anniversary "Yoshiko" 2007 Honda CBR600RR "Katsumi"(SOLD) 2010 Ninja ZX-2R "JADE" (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboyd12 View Post
I just watched it too! It was a little long, so I was really captured by it in the beginning but by the end my boyfriend and I were too distracted, and not learning much. But overall, definitely a good movie and really informative. I learned a lot.
i think it really is meant to be watched in sections, like the book is meant to be read in chapters and each technique applied and practiced. i know its way too much info to take in at once. it IS long, i usually watch a couple sections then shut it off too.

Old July 6th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #16
MaximumHP
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I just picked up a copy of this DVD myself the other day, hope to watch it this weekend. I think I will take your advice and watch it a section at a time to not pollute my mind with too much info all at once.
MaximumHP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #17
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximumHP View Post
I just picked up a copy of this DVD myself the other day, hope to watch it this weekend. I think I will take your advice and watch it a section at a time to not pollute my mind with too much info all at once.
That's honestly probably the best advice anyone can give about the movie. The information density is so high there is no way you will pick everything up after watching the movie all the way through the first, second, third, or even fourth time. Watching a section then practicing on that section would probably help solidify good technique and proper habits before moving on and conquering the next.

Good luck and best wishes! Really is an amazing video!

Old July 17th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #18
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

I agree it's overload if you watch the entire thing. One topic that I picked out to work on was anchoring myself to the bike using my legs and core. I already knew it helped a lot in turns, which I started practicing a while ago, but I didn't think about doing it while braking. I started practicing that yesterday and I already am feeling a lot better about it. The bike is squirming less since I'm not transferring all the weight through my wrists and into the bars anymore.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #19
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Book and DVD is a great combo pack. I first watched the movie all the way through and it felt like my brain was going to melt. So much information is presented.

Pick a section and work those skills is my current philosophy.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #20
675Raisinator
ninjette.org member

Name: Zander the Expander

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki 250 (Track scooter) 2012 Triumph Daytona 675

doesnt make any sense right ?
675Raisinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2012, 07:48 PM   #21
Mbomb
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Ex-250r

pretty good stuff in there. dealers should include a copy when you buy
Mbomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:55 AM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
TOTWII - 1:34 minutes to watch, a lifetime to perfect. When you think your good enough, watch it again.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:50 AM   #23
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaol1n Monk View Post
i think it really is meant to be watched in sections, like the book is meant to be read in chapters and each technique applied and practiced. i know its way too much info to take in at once. it IS long, i usually watch a couple sections then shut it off too.
Absolutely! The teaching method at the California Superbike School is "one thing at a time" so using that same philosophy with the info from the video is really helpful. Watch it in sections, pick out something to work on, try it, practice it then move on. Then do it all again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Prower View Post
I agree it's overload if you watch the entire thing. One topic that I picked out to work on was anchoring myself to the bike using my legs and core. I already knew it helped a lot in turns, which I started practicing a while ago, but I didn't think about doing it while braking. I started practicing that yesterday and I already am feeling a lot better about it. The bike is squirming less since I'm not transferring all the weight through my wrists and into the bars anymore.
Excellent! It really does help a lot with cornering to have your body anchored to the bike so that you can remain stable. A stable lower body means that you can keep excess weight off your arms.

Good for you to notice that it also helps with braking and that the bike squirms less. When I'm riding I pinch the tank with both knees while under braking so that my body doesn't slid forward and put excess weight on the wrists and handlebars, then when I tip the bike into the turn I just let that inside knee fall out.

What about setting up your body position? When do you do that? Do you move your body to the side of the upcoming turn BEFORE you start your braking, during or as you are turning the bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
TOTWII - 1:34 minutes to watch, a lifetime to perfect. When you think your good enough, watch it again.
Absolutely!!! The cool thing about all the skills in the Twist DVD (and Superbike School) is that you don't really ever "perfect" them. You can keep working on them over and over again and as your speed or skill improves in one area you can revisit the next area and work on that. For example, as your throttle control improves at the exit of one corner you entry speed into the next will be higher so you may have to alter your reference points and work on your visual skills to help you utilize that extra speed and carry it through the corner.

I was recently at the Ridge Motorsports Park for the first time and was working with a student who had done 6 track days there. He was amazed that I was able to ride with him (at his fairly quick pace) during my first session on the track and he asked me how I was able to do it. I told him I was simply doing the Superbike School drills. I work on finding RP's and my Throttle Control and turning the bike quickly and my two step etc......the stuff works

Misti

Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:05 PM   #24
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
What about setting up your body position? When do you do that? Do you move your body to the side of the upcoming turn BEFORE you start your braking, during or as you are turning the bike?
When I do move my body around I try to get set before the turn. Ill see which way it's going and generally how sharp it looks and I'll shift over if needed. Then when I'm closer towards the turn I'm done moving and slowing and then I just try to look through and turn in.

Two things I am trying now: First, like the dvd showed, trying to quickly turn in, instead of making huge turns. I feel a lot more at ease not worry about overshooting lanes or slowing down excessively. Second, I am actively thinking about continuously rolling on through the corner, and rolling on while standing the bike up as opposed to standing up and then rolling on. I noticed I am a bit quicker, and I can feel the bike lifting and feeling more stable. It's very rewarding!!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #25
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Prower View Post
When I do move my body around I try to get set before the turn. Ill see which way it's going and generally how sharp it looks and I'll shift over if needed. Then when I'm closer towards the turn I'm done moving and slowing and then I just try to look through and turn in.

Two things I am trying now: First, like the dvd showed, trying to quickly turn in, instead of making huge turns. I feel a lot more at ease not worry about overshooting lanes or slowing down excessively. Second, I am actively thinking about continuously rolling on through the corner, and rolling on while standing the bike up as opposed to standing up and then rolling on. I noticed I am a bit quicker, and I can feel the bike lifting and feeling more stable. It's very rewarding!!
Sounds good. You want to have your body position set up before you get to the turn so that you are not trying to do too much all at turn entry. I tend to set up well before the turn and if there are two right hand turns in a row I don't bother moving into the middle of the seat and back over again, I just stay off to the right.

Quick turns will really help you feel more confident knowing that you can get the bike to change direction when you want it too, and good throttle control will, as you described, help the bike feel more stable

Glad you are noticing some improvements, keep it up and if you have any questions about the techniques in the DVD or book, just ask!

Misti

Old September 8th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #26
JA-Moo
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): many kawasaki 2 stroke triples and a 250R now. Well no more 250R, 2013 300 now

I typed out a out line of the main points and keep it with me, just a page. Very handy to have.
JA-Moo is offline   Reply With Quote