ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #1
alexmack
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

New rider, new experiences....new close calls and new discouragements to quit

Hi all. Well to introduce myself I am 18 years old and from BC Canada. I recently purchased a US import 2008 250R ninja and well, I have NEVER rode a motorcycle before, yet even drive stick. Well I rode around my backyard a bit with it to get started and I felt i really could not get a feel of the bike restricting myself to my backyard so I took it on the rode. The first problem i enountered was shifting gears. Do you click down to go up in gears? I will click down into first and then try to click down more but it feels it will not click down :/ clutch is in and everything. I know i will learn this eventually but this is so discouraging as i dont want to screw up and hurt myself, although i know dropping the bike is almost deemed to happen to a newbie. (god forbid)
Well i had a very close call today. I was coming out of a parking lot and i was in a stand still with clutch in waiting for a opening in traffic, and well there was a open gap so i went and as i was looking for that sweet spot for the clutch to start engaging the engine it took off on me and i death gripped the throttle and started flying for the bar infront of me but instincts kicked in and i swerved into the street beside. After that i was so rattled and paranoid i just went home and turned her off for the day.
So now here I am, worried about my 2800 investment being ripped to shreds before i even learn it, and starting to worry about my only means of transportation =/.
So I am accepting advice from anyone thatcan givve me any possible tips or guidelines to follow from!
Thanks
alexmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #2
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

One click down to get to first, then while moving click UP to get to gears 2 thru 6

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Take the MSF. you should also stay off the street until you do.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #4
krolinked
Nerd

Find a large empy parking lot to practice start/stopping and get a true feel for the clutch and how it engages.

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #5
krolinked
Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rPanda View Post
Take the MSF. you should also stay off the street until you do.
This is the best thing to do if your able.

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #6
alexmack
ninjette.org newbie

MSF is not an option as there is no time with work. An empty parking lot will have to do.. if i can find one..

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

To be blunt, you have no business on a motorcyle in traffic if you don't know how to shift. Take the MSF. It could literally save your life.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #8
alexmack
ninjette.org newbie

Like I said, MSF is not an option because of work.

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

So - getting injured and missing work would then be a valid option? This isn't something to dabble in, you are taking real-life risks here. Knowing what you're doing isn't optional.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #10
alexmack
ninjette.org newbie

Well, empty parking lot it is.

Old October 17th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #11
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Start of by watching videos on youtube if you don't have a local MSF course. Otherwise sign up and don't ride until then!
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #12
ninjaone
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): CBR

Sorry but what work do you have that training is not an option? You have time to post on a forum therefore you have time to get properly trained. This isn't a joke, and you have almost got yourself killed or seriously injured already.

MSF is not an option but there are several safety classes in the BC area:

http://www.proride.net/training_info.htm

http://jibc.ca/programs-courses/scho...cycle-training

If you don't have time for a full course then try to get some one on one time with an instructor to learn the basics, can't imagine they would charge much more then 20$ an hour to help you out.

Again, this is not a joke, and I seriously recommend you take the bus until you get some basic training.
ninjaone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #13
alexmack
ninjette.org newbie

There are 1 week courses that go on in my area, however taking a week off work to take a motorcycle course is not a viable excuse....

How did you guys learn?

Old October 17th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

MSF.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #15
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

basically everyone here learned from the msf course...which is the best advice anyone can give
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #16
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Saw this vid somewhere here in the forums when I lurked...

This guy sums it up. I watched his other vids...while taking the MSF a while back

As ninjaone said - msf alternative safety classes ftw! I'd imagine it'll be similar in Canada.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
You should probably just quit
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #18
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

Do you know anyone that rides? Ask them for some one on one. You're not allowed holidays where you work? Not allowed to switch shifts with someone for a week? If you're serious about learning to ride you can find the time.

Can you teach yourself to ride? Sure, if you can do it in a safe enviroment(no traffic, no obstuctions) and aren't endangering yourself or others. Start practicing starting out, shifting, stopping quickly, figure 8's to get familar turning both ways, but until you become comfortable with accellerating/shifting up to traffic speeds; stay out of traffic. Stay safe, good luck. But really a MSF would be your best option.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #19
KillerLeaf
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nelson

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Hi Alex,

This is actually my first post on the forums (I usually lurk). I'm a new rider (about a month or so) and I've taken a MSF-like course. I recommend you look at Pacific Riding School in Surrey if you're in the lower mainland. They have course schedules that can work with YOUR schedule. Daytime, night time, custom schedules, whatever! I took their 1 week class a month ago and there are a lot of things you don't learn by just riding around in the parking lot. So saying it doesn't work around your schedule is not an excuse!

You need to learn throttle/clutch control. I drive stick so maybe this sort of thing comes more natural to me (even though clutching/shifting is reversed, feet vs hands). Even so you have to practice it on your bike. Not having any clutch control can be pretty dangerous if you're riding with traffic.

I live in Vancouver so if you're in the area I could show you some pointers I learned in the course (probably in an empty parking lot). Feel free to PM me. But I really recommend you take a course.

I haven't ridden in the last week or so because of the rain. I have summer gloves and I'm waiting for my shipment from Revzilla for my winter gloves. Rain + wind + cold + summer gloves = no fun. Thankfully I'll have them soon!
KillerLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #20
Orleanne
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): None :/

Normally a lurker but my wtf senses are tingling.

Is this post serious or a troll ? This info linked here http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...rcycle-licence

Seems to imply you must have allready taken some form of bike knowledge test etc ? And that you will be riding with a qualified instructer (I think it just means a biker over 25).

So lets be honest, this is a troll... Or if it's not your riding ilegally and are a complete ****ing moron putting other people at risk as well as yourself.
Orleanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 03:16 AM   #21
NinjetteNewfie
ninjette.org member

Name: Melissa

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Check around with different companies, someone offers the course with flexible hours. When I did the course it was four hours in a classroom on a Thursday evening and twelve hours on the bike Saturday. Do it before you get hurt or worse.

Old October 18th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #22
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmack View Post
There are 1 week courses that go on in my area, however taking a week off work to take a motorcycle course is not a viable excuse....

How did you guys learn?
MSF.

The MSF is not an all day 9-5 for a week course. It's generally a 6pm-10pm, because everyone else works too.

Every last person I took the MSF with in April worked, but was able to complete the course.

Besides, they usually offer a weekend version as well.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #23
bbonds007
The Bonds

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 06 Yellow Ninja

If you tried to go on the road without even knowing how to go into second gear, your priorities are totally screwed up man. Do you even have a permit/license? Do you even have a helmet!

MSF & ATGATT or GTFO, imo
bbonds007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #24
kcaja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

This is a troll but,
Quit before you hurt yourself and your bike. Get somebody to teach you how, at least.
kcaja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #25
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Don't worry about hurting yourself. Worry about killing yourself. Seek help! MSF is a must. If you can find someone who can take you to a paring lot and teach you is second best. After you learn to ride, think about suing your school's English dept. for not teaching you grammar and writing skills.

Old October 18th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #26
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I'm not going to respond as if this were a troll because I haven't seen anyone mention Positive Neutral finder or shift/hour-swaps yet.

Quote:
MSF is not an option as there is no time with work. An empty parking lot will have to do.. if i can find one..
Regardless, shifting really isn't something anyone should be "figuring out." All the information is in the user manual, but it isn't a replacement for real training.

I arranged with other employees to make time to take the MSF without losing hours. You should find a way to make it happen. My boss stayed over an hour each day and I made it up by coming in early for him on other days. I also could have swapped shifts with other people to work completely different days. It's important enough to make it work if you can any way you can.

I took a three day weekday course because it was cheaper. The weekend course was condensed into two longer days.

What is tripping you up isn't just the fact that neutral is between 1st and 2nd, it's also the positive neutral finder. Because neutral is between 1st and second, it takes a "half shift" to get to it, which may be hard to do without being able to feel through your boots and such. The positive neutral finder assists in getting there from a stop, where you are generally coming to a stop in 1st gear. It prevents you from shifting up or down while the bike is not moving, so a solid lift from first gear will go into 2nd gear with no careful half-shift or anything else required.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #27
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Like I said, MSF is not an option because of work.
Be sure to sign your organ donor card, lots of people out there who use their brains can use good organs.

Frankly, you're setting yourself up for disaster, both financially and physically. If you're not willing to do what it takes to take a rider education course then you don't have what it takes to become a safe rider and have no business on a motorcycle. All you're likely to accomplish is to hurt yourself and/or someone else and make the rest of us look bad.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #28
ninjaone
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): CBR

To all those people saying "MSF" keep in mind that MSF does not have a presence outside the United States. The OP is from Canada and they have their own set of safety programs. It seems like the BC programs are all about one week long, but several options have flexible schedules.

Also to those who want to teach this guy personally, be aware that learning from "friends and family" over a certified training course has an even *worse* record then just being self taught according to the Hurt Report.

From Hurt Report findings:

"The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents."

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...dy-summary.htm

From Proficient Motorcycling:

Training/Risk (Lower Number means less Risk):
Professional Training / 0.46
School/Club Course / 0.50
Self-taught / 0.90
Taught by friends/family / 1.56

Self taught riders are twice as likely to crash as trained riders, and "taught by friends and family" increases the likelihood of a crash by 3x.

The smart thing to do is take a training course.
ninjaone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #29
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
when i was a little kid i watched "the secret life of alex mack" like every god damn day (my sisters favourite show)

Old October 18th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #30
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I learned to ride when I was 5 years old on a 50cc Honda trailbike. I never took no stinkin' MSF course, and I haven't crashed on the street yet. 17k miles now

Maybe you should trade you ninja for a dirt bike and learn to ride in the dirt.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
[threadjack]
Hey ninjamunky85, check out http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...=117023&page=2. I drive right through there on my way to Mid-O. Come has some fun!
[/threadjack]
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #32
rjones91
Pro Newbie

Name: Shanii

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Honda CBR 250r......2007 Ninja 250R (sold)

I won't lie...after I took and passed the MSF course I was still confused. Call it corny but these videos by this guy (as well as getting out and practicing) helped me learn how to ride.

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/10151-...t-a-motorcycle
rjones91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #33
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Learned the basics through the MSF. 2 day course, 8am-3:00pm.

I agree that this is probably a troll though. Too much just doesn't make sense..

Old October 18th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #34
Ausoi
ninjette.org member

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2008 (Black) Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I may sound like an ass, but IMO MSF isn't a must. The only way to learn is to practice.. MSF is just that.. with some advice here and there. Your experience may be different but mine was that it was a waste of $$$. To be fair you should know about shifting before you start to ride any motorcycle. If you don't want to take the MSF than go ****ing read on how to ride than spend a lot of time practicing in a safe environment. End of thread.
Ausoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #35
alexmack
ninjette.org newbie

lol definatly not a "troll", and honestly I focus so much on grammar at part time school i really dont care when im on the internet hah. (another reason why msf (MSA in BC) is not an option, however i will look into their optional scheduling. Dad has rode motorcycles for about 60 years so Ive been getting some 1 on 1 and shifting + clutch control is coming more naturally now. To the Vancouver resident, I live in white rock, close to south surrey, if we could arrange something that would be amazing actually.
cheers guyz
p.s. Dayym some of you guys are harsh. but i get your point. I was taking a big risk and have taken a long hard thought about how I am going to do this.
P.s.s. quitting is for pussies!

Old October 19th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #36
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
There is a peek of the right kinda attitude. Personal attention from an experienced rider. Where there is a will, there is a way. My father taught me to ride as well. Sure it wasn't the best, sure it wasn't the MSF but it was enough to keep me alive. And through practice over many seasons of riding, I got better.

Good luck, be humble and be safe.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #37
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

reality is harsh....

read the owners manual, from beginning to end.
get training and gear.
practice until natural.

Old October 19th, 2012, 08:48 AM   #38
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
lol definatly not a "troll"...........
P.s.s. quitting is for pussies!
Some reading won't hurt:

http://msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?spl...gename=Library

http://msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?spl...rCourse%20Info

Low speed, clear space in front of your bike and high attention level are your friends.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #39
Coolbpf
Limp Noodle

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, Fastest Red money can buy

I learned at a school parking lot, I would recommend something of that nature. REMEMBER, 1 Click down, 5 clicks up. Be smooth and use your throttle sparingly, she may be a 250 but she'll get away from you if you jerk the throttle haha Good luck man!
Coolbpf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #40
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausoi View Post
I may sound like an ass, but IMO MSF isn't a must.
In several US states it actually is a must. In fact, it is mandatory. In Texas, no MSF, no license to ride, no license means no motorcycle insurance, no insurance means no ability to title and/or register a bike.

Personally? I think it should be mandatory in all 50 states. I'd also like to see tiered licensing like most of the rest of the world uses, but that's a whole 'nother conversation...
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote