ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old June 4th, 2016, 10:14 AM   #41
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Kevlar is better than regular women's jeans.

I found my leathers at Moto GP in Indy a few years back, a lot of manufacturers were there and I could try them on. I did pay over 800 for the set but it has saved me.
As for looks, I don't care if it looks bad as long as it protects me. I don't do my hair before I wear a helmet and my undies are clean just in case.
Again fir and protection before looks.
Barnacle Bills can make adjustments to leathers. So, if you find something and it's a little to big he can fix it for a price. He can also let it out a little if you need that too.
My gear is mens gear, I tried on everything and finally found a good fit.
I wore textile until I got leathers.

Old June 4th, 2016, 10:28 AM   #42
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I just found this:

Link to original page on YouTube.

ZeroGravity360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #43
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
Date is from 5 years ago.

But, again it's all in the testing.

I can tell you a jacket I made will protect you and say things like, it's made of a new material that will absorb all the impact and I tested it with a hammer... But if I don't have the correct testing methods how can you truly trust the product?

You wouldn't use a parachute with standard shoe strings, but why not? Because it has been proven they will not hold up. There are reasons we have ASTM standards and CE and UL testing facilities, the numbers after the letter really do mean something. Would you buy cheap tires or use just any oil? You shouldn't because you must use the right oil or the engine could fail and good tires so you know they will last.

Again it's your skin., do what you want. I made my decision long ago..

Here is a small breakdown to consider
ER visit $200.00 ( copay)
Days wages (@12.00 an hr) $96.00
Medical expenses for minor treatment $500.00

$796.00 total
Good gear could save you this just using it once.

Imagine if it was a week off work and a few days in the hospital. New job? Now unemployed.

Old June 4th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #44
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Sweat is cheaper than skin.

Also, a crap ton less painful.

Hydrate hydrate hydrate!

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 4th, 2016, 11:52 AM   #45
ZeroGravity360

Here is what I'm not understanding. Is leather with no armor better than Kevlar material with armor? Leather is good for abrasion but not so much impact, such as a car hitting you and you go flying into another object... I know everyone has an opinion but not even sure which are opinions and which are facts because I don't think there is a one item fixes all in this case.

Old June 4th, 2016, 12:16 PM   #46
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
You need both good leather and armor.

It is all in the testing and material used. Some leathers are thin and cheaply made and some Kevlar is cheaply made with poor lining materials so, you must look at what standard it is tested with and approval ratings.

Cheap gear can be good gear if it is made well and they use good materials. I personally would not wear leather with no armor.

Armor is good for the impact leather/Kevlar for the slide.
I know it can be confusing, spend the time and effort in research. Be cautious of reviews, some companies have employees make good reviews to counter the bad. Look for the facts, ask the manufacturer questions about the ratings and testing. CE will also give you information about the test they perform. CE can also tell you what to look out for.

Old June 4th, 2016, 04:24 PM   #47
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Have heard other coaches say that too, they normally mean during the range drills only. The msf is a lot of sitting and waiting your turn in line. When it's 98 degrees and 89% humidity 4 hours into the drills on the range at noon... You can't finish the day if your passed out from overheating.
No, they said this when we were talking about ATGATT and to wear mesh or textile or Kevlar instead
motodancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #48
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

I asked the Gogo founder, and she said:

The term "denier" probably wouldn't apply to our product as that is a term most frequently used with a fabric called "Cordura". What you want to look at is the abrasion resistance of the fabric that is being used in the garment. For us, we are using a proprietary abrasion resistant fabric that we developed specifically for our Kevlar Leggings and also a layer of Kevlar fabric, so with our product, you get two entire layers of abrasion resistant fabric so in a sense, you get 200% protection over all the other products out there for your legs. You can look at the cover of our facebook page and see a pair of the leggings that were in an actual crash and the testimonial from the customer who crashed in them. We also just got a report from a customer in Ireland today who said the following: "I high sided, came out over the bars and landed on my head and shoulder. I slid on my right knee along gravel. Lucky for me I was knocked out cold! I was lucky to escape with bruising and a concussion. I can't thank you enough for making such fab leggings, without a doubt they saved my legs from serious damage and road burn." Arlene

So yeah.. maybe I'll just use what I have right now
motodancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #49
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
They are meant to be used as an undergarment under textile or leather pants. They are handy for adding extra armor.

I wouldn't consider them abrasion protection at all. It would be a good barrier under textiles for protecting your skin from an abrasion burn in a crash though.

Old June 4th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #50
ZeroGravity360

I give up lol. I'm just getting external armor for right now and wearing them over my jeans. This search is exhausting b

Old June 4th, 2016, 08:19 PM   #51
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
I give up lol. I'm just getting external armor for right now and wearing them over my jeans. This search is exhausting b
Don't give up. Just do your research, it's your skin and your life that is on the line.

Old June 4th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #52
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
It's really simple to me. I watch racing. They crash a lot and usually walk away. Sometimes they have broken bones.
I ride in the city and on the highway. In addition to 30 grit asphalt; there is a ton of road furniture to bump into. I want to walk away or maybe only have a broken bone.
Armoured, perforated leathers & the rest of the kit. If it's the only thing they wear then it's what I'll wear. If you want a look: get them custom made.

Quoted from anonymous: Put on your gear. Get in the back of a van. When the van gets to the fastest speed you ride at: jump out. How's your gear doing? Did you walk away ready to ride?
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #53
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Quote:
Have you tried on Alpinestars or Dainese gear? Both make high quality protective leather gear and have women's lines. Neither are cheap, but if you ever wipe out, it's worth it.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2016, 10:08 PM   #54
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
It is hard to get a decent pair of pants that both fit properly and dont make you look like you weigh 100 more lbs then you actually do.. :-/ I do like go go gear and I have read many reviews online. I originally wanted to get kevlar jeans with armor, but they only make them in mens sizing, I dont think I could fit leather pants on the market and getting a custom pair is completely out of the question for me. I guess i just have to keep searching... It's just exhausting, I have been looking for a few months and nothing fits what I want. Some jeans are made really nice, but no armor. Some pants have armor but look like you just put on a trash bag and cut leg holes :-/
I suspect anything that has armor in it will be at least somewhat bulky... I know my jacket is. Unfortunate. Do the best you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
It's stories like hers that make me such a supporter of ATGATT. As I ready myself to have my own bike, I think about the great times I had with my ex on the back of his Ninja 1000. Many a time we went out on a hot day with only jeans/sneakers/hoody to go with our helmets and gloves (at least our helmets fit properly).
Jeans and tennis shoes- yeah. Never a second thought about it! There are days I think I'm lucky I survived my younger days. I was passengering with a skilled rider, which was probably the biggest (only?) thing in my favor.

I'm sorry that your ex pushed you out of his life.

I'm hoping that as more women take up riding, which seems to be happening over the last few years, clothing manufacturers will start making good gear for us.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2016, 12:16 AM   #55
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I suspect anything that has armor in it will be at least somewhat bulky... I know my jacket is. Unfortunate. Do the best you can.

Jeans and tennis shoes- yeah. Never a second thought about it! There are days I think I'm lucky I survived my younger days. I was passengering with a skilled rider, which was probably the biggest (only?) thing in my favor.

I'm hoping that as more women take up riding, which seems to be happening over the last few years, clothing manufacturers will start making good gear for us.
If this post seems a little all over the map, I apologize, I just got home from work and am a bit drunk

Thank you for the "i'm sorry". It still hurts aned I still think about him every day but I have found my peace. Part of that is getting my own bike so I can enjoy the rides on my own since I can't with him anymore.

I think more than enough women have taken up riding in the last several years. Unfortunatley it seems that the big push is for them to get on cruisers not sportbikes. So companies that make gear for the sport bike rider have no incentive to make better gear for the few women that use their product. I think GoGoGear's heart is in the right place but that they can do much much better in proving their gear to be safe and worth it. Hell, they were on Shark Tank and got the deal, what is the guy running it doing?
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2016, 03:48 AM   #56
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
Have you tried on Alpinestars or Dainese gear? Both make high quality protective leather gear and have women's lines. Neither are cheap, but if you ever wipe out, it's worth it.
unfortunately I cannot for their biggest sizes because they are made for the European market. I looooooooooooooooove Dainese gear but just can't fit it

Old June 5th, 2016, 03:53 AM   #57
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post

My jacket has armor too but it's made to fit a bigger busted woman with a smaller waist. It has straps to make the waist smaller. I don't mind some bulk with pants, I just want them tight ish and skinny at the bottom so I can fit them inside my boots since they are full length. I tried pants that go over the boots and they are just really uncomfortable.

Old June 5th, 2016, 06:20 AM   #58
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
unfortunately I cannot for their biggest sizes because they are made for the European market. I looooooooooooooooove Dainese gear but just can't fit it
You are looking in the wrong place. Dainese has a size guide for special sizes. Just convert inches to cm, gear is suppose to fit right to keep it from moving during an accident.
www.dainese.com/us_en/size-chart-motorbike-woman

Old June 5th, 2016, 06:51 AM   #59
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
A* also has larger sizes. You could call Ducati of Indy and see if they could get a few in from to try on.

Old June 5th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #60
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Just had another thought that may be applicable here.

If your gunna raise the bar to include premium brands and their associated costs. And... since style seems to rank high on the list. Let me point you at the customization options that Spartan Leathers will do.

First off, you can submit your sizing and they will build a suit or jacket to fit you perfectly
Second, if you want it in particular colors, no problem
Third, if you want specifics in the design pattern or inner/outer materials, no problem
Forth, want upgraded armor... they will sew it in custom

Also, iirc... there is a reseller near ya'lls in IN. A few of my local group members actually drove up to somewhere near Greencastle to be measured by a Spartan employee for their custom made suits. Give them a call to see if they can do anything for you that will be within your get budget. While getting custom made gear is expensive, you shouldn't end up with a ONE crash gear item.

Basically, $$$$ is your only limit with them.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #61
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
You are looking in the wrong place. Dainese has a size guide for special sizes. Just convert inches to cm, gear is suppose to fit right to keep it from moving during an accident.
www.dainese.com/us_en/size-chart-motorbike-woman
WOW! okay it looks like i am perfect for their 54 (biggest size) my main problem is the bust and the hips, but I will get a good sports bra, and maybe try to loose a few inches in the hips and should fit perfectly. The problem is finding a dealer who sells a 54, i looked at motorcycle super store and they do not and niether does revzilla

Old June 5th, 2016, 11:27 AM   #62
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
And note: proper leathers will last you for YEARS and can be resized and redyed, zippers replaced etc. A little care and maintenance and they can last a lifetime even if you put on a few pounds.
Most the off the rack you will be replacing every year or three and nowhere near the protection the leathers offer.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2016, 11:33 AM   #63
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
And note: proper leathers will last you for YEARS and can be resized and redyed, zippers replaced etc. A little care and maintenance and they can last a lifetime even if you put on a few pounds.
Most the off the rack you will be replacing every year or three and nowhere near the protection the leathers offer.
Thank you every one! my whole focus has shifted now to getting leathers rather than textile. I'll just have to save up a couple months, I'll try to get the pants first so at least then i have protection on the legs! then ill get a leather top, I really want CE armor in them.

Old June 5th, 2016, 12:21 PM   #64
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
WOW! okay it looks like i am perfect for their 54 (biggest size) my main problem is the bust and the hips, but I will get a good sports bra, and maybe try to loose a few inches in the hips and should fit perfectly. The problem is finding a dealer who sells a 54, i looked at motorcycle super store and they do not and niether does revzilla
Call Ducati in Indy, the guys there are very helpful and nice.

Old June 5th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #65
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Thank you every one! my whole focus has shifted now to getting leathers rather than textile. I'll just have to save up a couple months, I'll try to get the pants first so at least then i have protection on the legs! then ill get a leather top, I really want CE armor in them.
Check cycle gear... House brand costs less than $300 and works fine 4 me; it's even all perforated (feels like you have a/c in your fruit of the looms at speed)

Old June 5th, 2016, 12:51 PM   #66
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Check cycle gear... House brand costs less than $300 and works fine 4 me; it's even all perforated (feels like you have a/c in your fruit of the looms at speed)
I've got a pair of the Bilt leather pants for day in day out street use. Perfectly adequate with decent CE armor protection in the right places.

Old June 5th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #67
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
I've got a pair of the Bilt leather pants for day in day out street use. Perfectly adequate with decent CE armor protection in the right places.
I got the sedici cause they said it was a bit better than bilt, ive kown folks that have worn either for years and been happy, and one guy that went back to the bargain bin from alpine stars cause he says the quality wasn't worth the price like it used to be. I did check the stitching before I paid my money though

Old June 5th, 2016, 01:33 PM   #68
ZeroGravity360

http://www.cyclegear.com/search/go?p...20brand%3abilt

not women gear, but really cheap... I wish they have a women's version!

Old June 5th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #69
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
What's wrong with wearing mens?
I wear mens leathers (textile was mens jacket women's pants), my gloves are women's and boots are women's.

Old June 5th, 2016, 01:53 PM   #70
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
What's wrong with wearing mens?
I wear mens leathers (textile was mens jacket women's pants), my gloves are women's and boots are women's.
the over all shape is differnt, there is no tapering at the waist or extra room for the bust and hips

Old June 5th, 2016, 01:57 PM   #71
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Guess I am lucky I don't have the same issues. I just have issues with length, I am only 5'. The Japanese brands seem to fit well for me too.

Old June 5th, 2016, 02:00 PM   #72
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Guess I am lucky I don't have the same issues. I just have issues with length, I am only 5'. The Japanese brands seem to fit well for me too.
yeah with a 44" bust but a 38-41 inch waist its hard lol

Old June 5th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #73
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
I considered duct tape for my bust but a sports bra and underarmor helps me squeeze in my jacket....

Old June 5th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #74
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
That's where I'm running into problems while trying to find gear. I'm just over 5' and every pair of pants I find where the length would fit my inseam....well let's just say I don't have a 26 inch waist.

Old June 5th, 2016, 03:47 PM   #75
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
That's where I'm running into problems while trying to find gear. I'm just over 5' and every pair of pants I find where the length would fit my inseam....well let's just say I don't have a 26 inch waist.
RS Taichi has short lengths with normal waist.

Old June 5th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #76
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
RS Taichi has short lengths with normal waist.
Thanks I'll check them out.