ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old May 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #1
mz_twee
ninjette.org member

Name: twee

Motorcycle(s): 09 black 250

too short to ride...

hey everybody!!! i really need help from yall...i read so many infos on the net on lowering the 08+ ninja 250s n how short chicks under 5' can ride n that gave me so much confidence but i just sat on one today that was already lowered by 2'' at the dealer n feet was still dangling by a inch n so my confidence went downhill from there...im 4'9 with inseam of 25/26...just wondering is there any possible ways of dropping it by 3'' more? i know thats alot but im so determined...ive read low pro tires n shaved seat but dont know whats the total on how low that is cuz there so many people with diff opinions on them topics so any help would be great...thanx
mz_twee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

mz_twee! Glad to have you aboard...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Welcome and good luck in getting your bike.
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #4
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #5
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Check out the Daytona Ladystar GTX boots. I've worn them for years (two different pairs) and they're comfortable, waterproof, and have about an inch of rise in the soles. That paired with lowering the bike and getting a thinner seat (make sure to make it *narrower*, too, not just shorter) can make a huge difference

(I'm 5'1" with a 28" inseam, so I know where you're coming from!)

Welcome!

Old May 10th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #6
24hr
ninjette.org member

Name: nd

Motorcycle(s): Current: SV650s (previous in the order: Ex500, GSXR750, YZF600R, 250R)

hm, consult with a bike shop or a fabrication shop. I'm sure they can do something to help you.
24hr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #7
mz_twee
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
Check out the Daytona Ladystar GTX boots. I've worn them for years (two different pairs) and they're comfortable, waterproof, and have about an inch of rise in the soles. That paired with lowering the bike and getting a thinner seat (make sure to make it *narrower*, too, not just shorter) can make a huge difference

(I'm 5'1" with a 28" inseam, so I know where you're coming from!)

Welcome!
i think u missed out on the part where i said the bike i sat on was already lowered by 2'' n im still dangling n im outta luck with the boots cuz my shoe size is 2-3 in kids...but thanx

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #8
kkim

Aloha and welcome, twee.

if the new gen is just too tall for you, try sitting on a pre 08 ninja 250 as they seem to fit a smaller rider a bit better.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #9
24hr
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Current: SV650s (previous in the order: Ex500, GSXR750, YZF600R, 250R)

I checked on ebay and they have 3" lowering links for the 250r. On top of that you can adjust the rear mono shock setting to get another inch out of it. Then you can also make the seat foam thinner and get thick sole boots. With all these suggestions I believe you will be fine, besides you only need to have half of both feet on the ground. Many riders only have one foot on the ground on bigger bikes.

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:30 AM   #10
mz_twee
ninjette.org member

yea i know the older 250s are a lil shorter but they ugly...im really picky n i was like whoa when i saw the new ones so im really determined to get it

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #11
mz_twee
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr View Post
I checked on ebay and they have 3" lowering links for the 250r. On top of that you can adjust the rear mono shock setting to get another inch out of it. Then you can also make the seat foam thinner and get thick sole boots. With all these suggestions I believe you will be fine, besides you only need to have half of both feet on the ground. Many riders only have one foot on the ground on bigger bikes.
yea ive read up on that but most saying that its not so safe when u lower it more than 2 usually cuz of the rubbing of the tires n going through bumps

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #12
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz_twee View Post
yea i know the older 250s are a lil shorter but they ugly...im really picky n i was like whoa when i saw the new ones so im really determined to get it
learn to ride a bike first, then after you've mastered it, you'll most likely find you don't really need to touch the ground with both feet. the pregens are a great way to get introduced to riding. besides, once you're on the bike having fun, you can't really see the bike anyway.

yes, extreme lowering can lead to tire/fender interference problems.

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #13
24hr
ninjette.org member

Quote:
yea ive read up on that but most saying that its not so safe when u lower it more than 2 usually cuz of the rubbing of the tires n going through bumps
well those are common suggestion most people will recommend. If you are still not comfortable then meet with a bike fabrication shop and see what kind of adjustment they can do for you and at the same time address all your concerns. If you have the money to make the modifications anything is possible.

Old May 11th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #14
mz_twee
ninjette.org member

ive read that too lolz...i read everything pretty much on the net so far...i think thats the best option yet....to build confidence in riding cuz plenty upgrade to way bigger bikes regardless of height issues...but im so impatient that i just wanna buy it n ride it...thats what i do with everything since imma quick learner...i go for it n learn it quicker than most...no bs...i bought my type-s n didnt know how to ride stick but drove it off that day anyways without stalling ever...even had to pick my neice from school too...i just knew to step on clutch n switch gear...really nervous tho but i was determined to get my type-s no matter what...n so thats my mentality with everything i want...determination n ill get it

Old May 11th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #15
mz_twee
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr View Post
well those are common suggestion most people will recommend. If you are still not comfortable then meet with a bike fabrication shop and see what kind of adjustment they can do for you and at the same time address all your concerns. If you have the money to make the modifications anything is possible.
i think imma do that cuz the dealer guy today was kinda slow...seems like i knew way more than him...he just suggested i would be wasting my $ cuz with all that fixing...bills probably more than the bike itself...which got me thinking...dam...

Old May 11th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #16
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

1)
2) Have you taken a MSF BRC (Basic Rider Course)?
3) The reason I ask is because that is something every rider should do, especially for those who never been on a motorcycle, as it is a great way to see if your mind is in it as much as your heart is.
4) Most BRCs use old 250 cruisers, which offer a lower seat height than that of the 08+ Ninja 250. I personally have a 30" inseam and I rode on a Honda Rebel and not only was I able to flat foot the pavement, but I also had bent knees. However, I wasn't even on one of the motorcycles that had the shortest seat height.

I know that not all BRCs have the same inventory, but through my years of knowing and speaking with other riders it seems that most courses regardless of their location tend to have close to the same inventory as every other course. If you are concerned I would definitely go down to your nearest MSF location and try speaking with a Rider Coach about it. I would also do all this before even thinking about purchasing something.

Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

Old May 11th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #17
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
im outta luck with the boots cuz my shoe size is 2-3 in kids...but thanx
A Youth size 3 shoe is approximately a Euro size 35, or around a women's size 5, right? The Daytonas go down to size 35 -- with thick socks, you could probably make it work. The extra inch would really make a big difference.

Old May 11th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #18
Green Streak
Ninjette Owner

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, a puddle of Ninja ZX6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMOCAN View Post
1)
2) Have you taken a MSF BRC (Basic Rider Course)?
3) The reason I ask is because that is something every rider should do...
Welcome! It sounds like you are pretty determined, but I agree with Ammocan, taking the course is the best thing for you to do first. It should help your confidence and ensure that it is something that you really enjoy, before purchasing it. And what you learn should help you to be a safer rider.

Old May 11th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #19
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #20
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder blue 2009 kawasaki 250r, 2010 Dark Stealth Ducati Monster 696.

vnranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #21
mz_twee
ninjette.org member

well i dont fit size 5 woman shoes...its way too big on me...since my feets narrow too...even some size 3 is big on me...im planning to get the msf classes cuz i know confidence in riding wouldnt even matter if i cant reach the ground...thanx much yall

Old June 30th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #22
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Welcome to the 250 party.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2011, 11:54 PM   #23
GetBusyLiving
I'm Fun Size not short.

Name: G-Hop

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250r

They can lower the 250's up to 4" but you also need to keep in mind your ground clearance will diminish at the same time. The side stand will have to be cut as well to accommodate the lowering links. Just something to think about. Good luck in your class!!!!
GetBusyLiving is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:14 AM   #24
Suave
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducducgooseit View Post
Welcome to the 250 party.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwQbPgouUYo

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:09 AM   #25
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetBusyLiving View Post
They can lower the 250's up to 4"
not w/o serious problems. max you should lower the 250 is 1.5-2"

Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:03 AM   #26
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Personally, I'm short for my Ninja 650, but I wouldn't lower it, even if I could find a reliable lowering kit. It changes the suspension and cornering clearance too much. To be totally honest, I'm 100% comfortable 1-footing it at stops and doing regular riding on the big bike, but I'm less comfortable all-around on the taller bike than I am my "Lil Ninj" because of the knowledge that I can't flat foot both sides. Plus on a windy day, greasy spot at an intersection, etc, there are many times when having 2 feet planted would be a plus.
So yes, being a short rider is doable, but there are a few obstacles to overcome. Granted I'm 5'6", 120 pounds, but even that is a bit short for my Big Ninj.
Good luck! Welcome aboard!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:13 PM   #27
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Hi and welcome from another vertically challenged woman.

Try the youth boots some of them have a higher sole, especially motocross boots. Nice to have the extra safety in the shins/ankle.

I'm with all the people mentioning taking the course

And if your heart is set on a Ninja, pay attention to the feathering the clutch info...control while going slow. You'll love it. Once you master the slow control and adjust to the weight of the bike, you can lean at stop light no problem.

Just remember you have to be cautious of where cars have dumped slippery oil or when sand or gravel has built up - you need to be conscious of that foot being stable

If you have money to burn - look at the smaller Aprilia , I had both feet firmly on the ground!
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:00 PM   #28
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

The 2011 Aprilia RS125 is not street legal in the USA.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 01:01 AM   #29
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
The new aprilia RS4 125 (4 stroke version) is street legal though but only has about 15 hp. Specs show the seat height as over 32 inches though which is higher than the 250. i haven't sat on one yet though, so maybe a thin saddle?
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #30
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Same in Canada but if you have money floating around, the street legal version is another $1500. Some of the so-called fixes to make it street legal can be undone - some bits of course need to stay on, kinda need the lights etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
The new aprilia RS4 125 (4 stroke version) is street legal though but only has about 15 hp. Specs show the seat height as over 32 inches though which is higher than the 250. i haven't sat on one yet though, so maybe a thin saddle?
I sat on the Max Biaggi version with running shoes and was flat footed at 5'2". (200hp version , priced to match)
Must have been a skinny seat if it's 32". I'm not flat foot on my ninja - one flat one barely.
Here it is with specs:
http://www.gearheadcanada.com/new_ve...94&pov=1789142
It was by far the most comfy bike I sat on, the other was the 2011 BMW gs650. Different style but it was like it was made for me. Lowered height is 30.1 but again must be the shape of the seat ??
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #31
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
Have you ever seen one in person? I personally thought the pre-gens were pretty hideous when I first started looking at bikes and saw pictures (no offense to all of you who ride one ) but I took the MSF course this past weekend and they had a pre-gen there that I used and it actually looks pretty good. I definitely still prefer the newer body styling but seeing a picture of a pre-gen versus seeing it in person is like night and day.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote