ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 20th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #1
DirtyBoy
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Slow inaccurate gas guage

On the past few fill-ups I have noticed that although I fill the tank all the way to the top, the gauge reads that it 1/16th low. Also the guage takes a long time to show a reading. If it's just idleing it will show that thats its empty until I start riding it for a little bit. Any ideas? TIA
49T sprkt/ EK gold chain/ Galfer pads and SS lines/120 frt 150 rr Pilot Powers/ GSX-R can/Desnorkled/ Raised needles/ Slider spools/ Cowl/ LED rear signals/ Fender eliminator/ Tinted lights / Emu seat
DirtyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #2
chess
Ninjette Afficionado!

Name: chess

Motorcycle(s): Red...the sexiest color.

I just filled up for the first time today. It showed nearly empty, but it only took 3 gallons to fill it.

After a bit of reading on here and elsewhere, it looks like the gas gauge is crap, but it's at least conservative (ie, it won't let you run out of gas).

I plan to just use the trip odometer and fill up at about 200 miles...maybe 250 when I trust the mileage a bit more. I figure it's a more accurate measure anyway.
chess is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Wade
ninjette.org member

Name: Wade

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 Ninja 250

Gas guages are all crap on bikes i have just lernt that 5L gets me 180+ km so i just fill up then to make sure i never run out lasts me about 1.5 weeks. Just reset the tripometre every time you fill up.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #4
DirtyBoy
ninjette.org member

I always reset the trip meter whenever I refuel, so I won't have any issues running out of gas. Anyone know what needs to be replaced? Although not necessary I would like th gauge to work as it should.
49T sprkt/ EK gold chain/ Galfer pads and SS lines/120 frt 150 rr Pilot Powers/ GSX-R can/Desnorkled/ Raised needles/ Slider spools/ Cowl/ LED rear signals/ Fender eliminator/ Tinted lights / Emu seat

Old April 21st, 2009, 12:30 AM   #5
Wade
ninjette.org member

Im not sure its possible to get an accurate Gas guage on bikes..

Old April 21st, 2009, 07:15 AM   #6
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

The ironic thing is that Kawasaki added the gas gauge to the Ninja in response to American customer's requests. And what we got was no better than what the Ninja came with before. A gas gauge that doesn't work is no better than not having one at all.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Mo1981
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ebony Ninja 250R

I personally would rather have the temp gauge. The only thing that's accurate about my gas gauge is that the gas cap vent always starts whistling right at half a tank, lol...
Posted via Mobile Device
Mo1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2009, 08:39 AM   #8
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Take a look at any motorcycle that's more than a few years old. They don't have fuel gauges.

Motorcycles used to have a fuel petcock with three settings: off, main, and reserve. (Some had a prime in case the carbs were dry.) Two sections of hose or pipe fed into the bottom of the tank to siphon gas to the carbs. If the gasoline level fell below the higher main pipe, you turned the switch to reserve and could use the bottom inch or so of the fuel in the tank.

You tracked your fuel level by setting the tripmeter to zero every time you fueled up. "Oh, it's been 150 miles since the last fuel stop; guess I better buy more..."

If you ran out of fuel in the middle of nowhere, you could flip to reserve and ride another 30 or 40 miles. Now, if your gauge breaks and you aren't careful, if you run out of fuel you're screwed.

IMHO the old method was a lot better!

Old April 21st, 2009, 11:24 PM   #9
Wade
ninjette.org member

Im kinda new to riding (like 10 months total) and i was taught the "old school" way and not to bother using the guage and ive never had problems but i fill up every 180km's which is 5L worth on my bike. Even tho it has a 13 Litre tank i feel better safe than sorry.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:54 AM   #10
xTKx
Finally!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 09 Red 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo1981 View Post
I personally would rather have the temp gauge. The only thing that's accurate about my gas gauge is that the gas cap vent always starts whistling right at half a tank, lol...
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL, same here! The first time I filled up I was like what in the world is that?! That's when I quickly discovered what that goofy noise was!

Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:58 AM   #11
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
Take a look at any motorcycle that's more than a few years old. They don't have fuel gauges.

Motorcycles used to have a fuel petcock with three settings: off, main, and reserve. (Some had a prime in case the carbs were dry.) Two sections of hose or pipe fed into the bottom of the tank to siphon gas to the carbs. If the gasoline level fell below the higher main pipe, you turned the switch to reserve and could use the bottom inch or so of the fuel in the tank.

You tracked your fuel level by setting the tripmeter to zero every time you fueled up. "Oh, it's been 150 miles since the last fuel stop; guess I better buy more..."

If you ran out of fuel in the middle of nowhere, you could flip to reserve and ride another 30 or 40 miles. Now, if your gauge breaks and you aren't careful, if you run out of fuel you're screwed.

IMHO the old method was a lot better!
I would much prefer the old method with a reserve setting on the petcock to an inaccurate and useless gas gauge. The lack of a decent petcock also makes draining the carbs for storage more of a PITA than it should be.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:07 AM   #12
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
The lack of a decent petcock also makes draining the carbs for storage more of a PITA than it should be.
how's that?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:32 AM   #13
1hardryder4life
ninjette.org member

Name: TBoz

Motorcycle(s): Nothing

I use the trip meter anyway, filling up at about 200 miles or a bit over that. Id rather have the fuel meter replaced by a temp gauge and a clock. Oh well.
1hardryder4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:48 AM   #14
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Hmmm I think someone should do a DIY on swapping our crappy gas gauge for the temp gauge from a FI bike
Posted via Mobile Device
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:53 AM   #15
kkim

can't... the temp gauge runs from the computer on the FI bikes, or so I was told when I asked. Added a Daytona water temp gauge instead. Now I have a water temp gauge, a clock and a useless fuel gauge. Truth be told, mine is not that inaccurate, but I always use the trip meter anyway.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 09:57 AM   #16
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Oh man that's unfortunate. Let's start a petition and get kawi to change it back
Posted via Mobile Device

Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:05 AM   #17
kkim

now, I was looking to see if the water temp gauge from the pregens might work, but never got around ordering one off ebay to play with and installed the Daytona instead, so for me it's a non issue.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:17 AM   #18
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Are you possibly hinting that someone should try this? Hmmm
Posted via Mobile Device

Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:24 AM   #19
kkim

I have no idea of the physical sizing and the mounting, but it is a mechanical gauge and the motors and cooling systems are pretty much carry overs. I have a feeling it might work. Only way would be to have a cheap gauge to play with to find out.

There are drawbacks. You lose the fuel gauge and the new gens have no reserve. One miscalculation and you're stranded on the side of the road. I was looking at putting in a fuel petcock from the pregens (again i don't know if it will fit) but the other drawback there is that our side panels don't have a cutout so we can reach the reserve lever if we run out of gas w/o taking off the side panel. If it's not one thing it's another.

I came to the conclusion it was just easier to add a water temp gauge and keep the fuel gauge.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM   #20
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
how's that?
No "off" position. If it had one I'd just run the carbs dry before storing it, like I've always done on my bikes. I have to drain the bowls manually on my '08 and it's just extra work.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:16 PM   #21
1hardryder4life
ninjette.org member

Cant you just remove the fuel line flowing from the tank (or "petcock") to the carb, plug it, then run them dry?

Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:35 PM   #22
kkim

all it takes is pulling the 2 hoses off the petcock and running the bike. no fuel will flow at that point.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:50 PM   #23
1hardryder4life
ninjette.org member

thats whats iz thinking

Old April 22nd, 2009, 01:16 PM   #24
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

It's still more work than just flipping a switch and letting it die. I guess I'm just inherently lazy, but if it ain't broke...

Old April 22nd, 2009, 03:52 PM   #25
Rocketman
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r special edition

Kelly do you have a dash shot of your bike for this thread...? I wouldnt mind looking at your setup if you dont mind...
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:19 PM   #26
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
It's still more work than just flipping a switch and letting it die. I guess I'm just inherently lazy, but if it ain't broke...
...and manually draining the float bowls is less work? Seems to me, I'm the more lazy one here.

truth is, your way is a better way to completely empty the bowls. if let to run down till it dies with my method, there would still a bit of gas that would be left at the very bottom of the float bowl which could spoil and rot during hibernation.

Still, I use my method to store emergency gasoline generators and have not had a problem starting them up after a year of storage.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 07:20 PM   #27
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Kelly do you have a dash shot of your bike for this thread...? I wouldnt mind looking at your setup if you dont mind...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9827

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:35 AM   #28
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
...and manually draining the float bowls is less work? Seems to me, I'm the more lazy one here.
Turning a screw is harder work than just flipping a switch. Just going to the toolbox to look for the screwdriver usually tires me out.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:09 AM   #29
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

*Knock on wood* I'm getting really accurate readings.

To date, on my last fill up i brought it to Full and i've done 53km to have it indicate 7/8 full.

Conversion: that's ~30 miles for 1/2 a gallon. Can't wait to see what i get once break in is done. So no problems on my '09. As far as slow, when i turn it on it take about a minute for the needle to reach full.

Last futzed with by 250Rocket; April 23rd, 2009 at 10:44 AM.
250Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #30
DirtyBoy
ninjette.org member

So I take it no one knows how to fix the gauge or what to check for?