ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 7th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

First time using boots, weird?

I just purchased some joe rocket touring boots, I realize they are on the cheaper side in terms of boots.

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Rocket-Bal...pr_product_top

I wear a size 9.5 shoe, I however read the comments saying that the sizes run small so I ordered the 10 opposed to the 9. I would say, I probably should have gone with the 9. Seems too roomy in there for my liking.

Now, first time riding with them, as a disclaimer I just went around town, probably a 10 minute ride. At first the boots seemed terrible, shifting seems okay when going up or down, but if I had to switch, (say I was upshifting from 1st and I was now in 4th then I suddenly needed to engine brake down to 3rd there would be some difficulties quickly pulling my foot out of the shifter and putting it above it to down shift.)

Also, backing up with my boots or basically any time I was on my bike it felt weird. It was odd maneuvering my feet from the pegs onto the ground and vice versa.

I must say, things started bad but got better, and eventually became somewhat okay. I'm not sure if this is the same experience everyone else had, or is my boot being slightly too big a huge issue? Or is it just the boot I bought it crappy? I think after a while I will get used to it, but I only get a few days to return them.

Keep in mind, I don't own a single pair of boots so I am not used to them in general, also I usually use DC skate shoes. So maybe that's part of my getting used to them problem,?

Old July 7th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
"felt weird" is not very descriptive of any problems.

you should not keep your foot under the shifter anyway. maybe the shift lever needs to be adjusted higher to give you more room

Old July 7th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
"felt weird" is not very descriptive of any problems.

you should not keep your foot under the shifter anyway. maybe the shift lever needs to be adjusted higher to give you more room
I guess it just felt like it was clunky, hard to move and in the way a lot. I didn't know I could adjust the lever, I'll have to search out how to. Thanks!

Old July 7th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I started with waterproof Joe Rocket boots and it felt weired any time I didn't use them.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 03:41 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
I guess it just felt like it was clunky, hard to move and in the way a lot. I didn't know I could adjust the lever, I'll have to search out how to. Thanks!
imagine sliding across the pavement at 50mph wearing those boots. now imagine the same thing wearing your tennis shoes. maybe it will help you understand why your feet are supposed to feel big and clunky and relatively hard to move compared to wearing flip flops or tennis shoes.

Old July 7th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
imagine sliding across the pavement at 50mph wearing those boots. now imagine the same thing wearing your tennis shoes. maybe it will help you understand why your feet are supposed to feel big and clunky and relatively hard to move compared to wearing flip flops or tennis shoes.
Thanks man, I know the importance of boots (that's why I bought em!) I'm just glad that this is relatively normal. I'm going to look into adjusting the clutch lever and hopefully I'll get used to them.

I was initially worried that maybe this lack of foot movement would hinder my ability to quickly access the shifter and brake.

I remember when I first put on my new helmet it felt big and gompy, hard to turn my neck in, etc. But after a while I got used to it and prefer it to my smaller helmet.

My main concern now is that hopefully the boot will conform to my foot better, either that or I should buy some thermal socks or something to help make the difference.

Old July 7th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
The boots will feel better after 2 main things;

They break in
You get used to them
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i break them in with water and lots of walking

Old July 7th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #9
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

I'm going to return them for a smaller size I think. They seems too big even when I'm walking, my mom said they looked way too big, so I just contacted the seller to see if I can exchange from a size 10 to size 9.

:/ i'll probably have to pay shipping which I can only guess will be like 20-30$... ugh..... not to mention I won't have boots until august..

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 7th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
There is no substitute for proper fitting gear.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 04:17 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Are there no gear stores within driving distance? I like shopping online as much as the next guy (and please go through the links in my sig, and suggest ones I should add if they're not there!), but when it comes to things that have to fit, I really like to try them on in person. Probably because I'm too lazy to return things through the mail, so I rarely do that even if an item isn't exactly what I wanted. Not smart, I realize.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 05:08 PM   #12
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Are there no gear stores within driving distance? I like shopping online as much as the next guy (and please go through the links in my sig, and suggest ones I should add if they're not there!), but when it comes to things that have to fit, I really like to try them on in person. Probably because I'm too lazy to return things through the mail, so I rarely do that even if an item isn't exactly what I wanted. Not smart, I realize.
There is only 2 stores within driving distance that I know of. And they are both about 40 minutes away, one of them has limited inventory, the other has incredibly high prices... I live over by cape cod. All the good bike shops around me went out of business
I had to call around places to ask about how much adjusting my valves would cost and I couldn't get a good price from anyone within 50 miles...It's crazy, I hate it here.

Old July 7th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
There is only 2 stores within driving distance that I know of. And they are both about 40 minutes away, one of them has limited inventory, the other has incredibly high prices... I live over by cape cod. All the good bike shops around me went out of business
I had to call around places to ask about how much adjusting my valves would cost and I couldn't get a good price from anyone within 50 miles...It's crazy, I hate it here.
sounds like a good excuse for a long drive on your favorite bike

Old July 7th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #14
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
I must say, things started bad but got better, and eventually became somewhat okay. I'm not sure if this is the same experience everyone else had, or is my boot being slightly too big a huge issue? Or is it just the boot I bought it crappy? I think after a while I will get used to it, but I only get a few days to return them.

Keep in mind, I don't own a single pair of boots so I am not used to them in general, also I usually use DC skate shoes. So maybe that's part of my getting used to them problem,?
In addition to simply getting used to them, things will certainly improve as you break them in. Those are good looking boots!
Brother Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #15
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
sounds like a good excuse for a long drive on your favorite bike
That's one way of looking at it!

Old July 7th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #16
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
If new boots don't feel weird they aren't new
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #17
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

I have 2 pairs of boots - pair of WP Dainese and a pair of Sidi Vertigos. Anytime I switch from one to the other after wearing a pair for a long time, they feel weird and take some getting used to. It's just an adjustment and they'll feel normal after a few rides, then not wearing them will feel off.

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #18
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
It does take some time getting use to, but here is something to think about as well... "lower end boots" versus "higher end boots" will fit a lot differently comfort wise too. Besides trying them in store, you could also check your local Craigslist, a lot of people find steals on there.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #19
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I won't ride without a good pair of road boots. About a year or two ago I had to pick up my moto from the shop while I was wearing ordinary work shoes - my feet felt vulnerable and naked, not much better than riding in a pair of socks!

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #20
Linkin
Down Under

Name: Linkin

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ZXR250C Ninja

My first set of boots were too big. Gave them to my old man and ordered the next size down. Much better.
Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 06:17 PM   #21
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Wear some snow board boots or roller blades for a day ridding your bike. After that you will feel like you can tap dance stairway to heaven in your sport boots!

I went for a ride with flip flops the other night to experience squid level Jedi
Just through the complex and to the dumpster. DCs are only a little bit safer.

The difference between sneakers and sandals - sandals leave a stub, dc sneakers leave a stub with bones and tendons hanging off.

Icon super duty boots are super comfy for walking and ridding, but offer less protection than legitimate sport ridding boots.

That's what I typically wear
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #22
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

NVM. Learn to read all of thread before posting.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 08:09 PM   #23
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Just a message for OP (even though it was already said in a different way), when I first tried my A stars smx plus's on the bike it felt like I couldn't feel the shifter or the rear brake at all. I was pissed and confused, but when you wear them day in and day out on the bike and then one day you go out and wear sneakers it feels terrible and awkward.

It's really a combination of breaking them in and ultimately getting a feel for them.

Last futzed with by Brian; July 30th, 2014 at 10:08 PM.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #24
ninjakuma
Stunts Extraodinar

Name: Ninjakuma

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250

I don't have a pair of racing boots yet, I just wear my stunt boots when I ride. However, I must say when I started wearing boots in general most other shoes felt inadequate. Boots are the only way to go. Boots boots boots

Boots