ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

The 10 Worst People at Trackdays

http://sowega710.kinja.com/the-10-wo...ays-1677098969

Quote:
At best, I'm a mediocre racer. With that being said, I've been doing trackdays for more than ten years, and control riding/coaching for the last five. As trackdays grow in popularity, and the paddocks swell, a few unsavory personalities tend to show up. The next time you're setting up your pit before the rider's meeting, take a second to promise yourself that you won't be one of these guys.

The Unsolicited Advice Guy

"Hey, you should really try this line. Hey, I see that you're a little slow through this turn. Try this. It's cool if you want to follow me next session. Make sure you trailbraking to the apex." The Advice Guy means well, but there's nothing to guarantee that he's any faster or better than you are, so be careful. In addition to presiding over trackdays, you'll also find him blowing up Facebook groups and forums with his insight on why your body position is the worst thing this side of the Taliban.

The "Let Me Tell You Why You're Wrong" Guy

This person asks your opinion about something, then launches into a diatribe on why your opinion is, in fact, total ****. He's probably related to the Advice Guy. Mr. LMTYWYW has incredible opinions that he has formulated in years and years of running mid-pack novice laptimes and reading internet forums. He's totally cool with you not agreeing with his choice of tire brand. . .if you're cool with being so wrong.

The Alien

This guy shows up on a 99 R6 with mismatched bodywork and five year old tires and whips everybody's ass. He's usually a nice guy; in fact, he's usually a really cool guy, but it's hard to like him because he's so annoyingly fast. Maybe he used to race, maybe he's a control rider for another organization, or maybe he's been genetically engineered to be a MotoGP-caliber rider. Any way you look at it, this guy is the worst.

The Mountain Champion

"Yeah, I'm always way ahead of my Sunday morning group when we go up to Blood Mountain/Deal's Gap/Mulholland/whatever." You get to hear about how fast he is while you're setting up, while walking to and from the rider's meeting, and then again at lunch. More often than not, he's the guy crowding other riders on the parade/sighting laps, chomping at the bit to really show everyone what's up. . .that is, until he figures out that being fast on the street and being fast on the track are often two very different things. Watch out for him tiptoeing around early in the day, then crashing his face off when a girl on a CBR250 passes him.

Little Miss Excuses

"My bike isn't running right."

"I think my pads are glazed.."

"There are some guys riding like assholes out there, so I'm going to take it easy today."

"My suspension guy missed the setup for this track. I'm getting a refund this week."

"I pulled something at the gym this week. I don't even know why I'm riding."

"It's too hot."

There's no shame in not feeling it, or not wanting to push your limits. But, please, spare me the litany of reasons why you haven't set any lap records today.

The Full Metal Jacket Control Rider

My man is knowledgeable, smooth, and fast. He's probably a great communicator and coach, but should probably ease up on the Red Bull. He control rides like he's the racetrack's traffic cop. The FMJCR is really into his (weekend) job, and that's commendable. He sometimes forgets, however, that, while goal #1 is Safety, goal #1A is Fun. In his mind, his neon vest is like a silver star on his leathers, and he's happy to be the sheriff in these parts. . . and woe to the unlucky soul that passes him without prior authorization.

Dedicated Streetbike Guy

"This is my only transportation to and from work, so I can't crash." He rode the bike to the track. While, in some small way, this is admirable in a very crazy/cool way, the inevitable result is that he wants to push his bike under your canopy (which probably already has 2 bikes underneath), use your tools, and drink your water/Gatorade. And, if he jinxes himself and DOES crash his only ride, guess who gets to transport it (and him) home?

Bad Luck Bobby

While you're setting up your pit, he parks next to you, and wheels out a bike that looks like it was previously owned by Alvaro Bautista and Ruben Xaus. You share a joke about its condition, and then you see that what you thought was a really cool design on his leathers is actually a collection of scuffs, tire marks, and obviously homemade repairs. Look, there's nothing wrong with having a bike that looks a little worse for wear, and there's certainly nothing wrong with track riding on a budget. In fact, I admire those guys (especially when they're also The Alien), but, if it looks like they've crashed a lot, logic tells you that they'll probably crash again.

The Racer

Let's go ahead and get it out there: not all racers are "The Racer" at track days. The titular club racer is the guy who turns every session into a sprint race, and doesn't have much patience for whatever "rules" the track or organization may employ. He's there to win, and you better never find yourself between him and a race-pace laptime. The Racer is usually miserable at trackdays because, at some point, he realizes that no one is racing with him, and he's riding like an asshole for no reason at all.

The Color Commentator

This person didn't bring a bike, nor leathers, nor really anything other than an odd desire to give you a running commentary of what's going on out on the track and/or tell you how fast they would be if they were riding. "Yeah, you guys are really pussyfooting around out there. Makes me wish I'd brought my 'busa out here to show y'all what's up." "Why is everybody going so slow? Man, I'd just grab a handful of gas and ROLL." The most frustrating thing about the Color Commentator is that he's probably the guy who has to duck-walk his bike through stoplight intersections. I like to offer them my 250 for a session so they can show me how it's done, but they always decline. It's a shame; I really want to go faster on it, and I'm sure they could show me how, you know?

Afterword

Full disclosure: At one time or another, I've been an example of almost all of these. We've all been trackday bad citizens at some point; this is just a small breakdown of behavior we can all easily avoid. The absolute worst guy you can be, however, is the one who isn't having fun. If you're frustrated, scared, or any combination thereof, talk to a control rider, and see if he/she can get you back in the right mindset.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old January 2nd, 2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

@sowega is on this site, right?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:00 PM   #3
sowega
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 899, 748, 250, 250, 70

That's me. Good to see the article is resonating with people.

Cheers,
E

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:01 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
lol

Quote:
The Full Metal Jacket Control Rider

My man is knowledgeable, smooth, and fast. He's probably a great communicator and coach, but should probably ease up on the Red Bull. He control rides like he's the racetrack's traffic cop. The FMJCR is really into his (weekend) job, and that's commendable. He sometimes forgets, however, that, while goal #1 is Safety, goal #1A is Fun. In his mind, his neon vest is like a silver star on his leathers, and he's happy to be the sheriff in these parts. . . and woe to the unlucky soul that passes him without prior authorization.
Guilty.... as charged, literally. hahahahhahahaha

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207097

Naw... just kidding, pass me, I could care less... most likely you are not my focus and fun trumps all!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:01 PM   #5
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

You forgot one...

The rich guy

This guy shows up at the track with 8 bikes in the back of a custom painted trailer complete with $3000 of tires, and snap-on tools. Bikes are slathered in sponsor stickers that rich guy bought, and not earned. Inbetween racing rich guy can be found under his awning telling stories about how he payed $40K for "insert racers name here" race bike that he has in his garage. When rich guy races, he brings out his most expensive bike, runs two laps, and then files complaints against the other riders for made up offenses that caused him to not make a good lap time. Rich guy always leaves early.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:11 PM   #6
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowega View Post
That's me. Good to see the article is resonating with people.

Cheers,
E
Ah, figured you were probably on here with all those Ninja 250 pics in the article. Haha

SportbikeTrackGear.com shared it on their Facebook. That's were I found it and thought I should share it here.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:23 PM   #7
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I just saw this and was just going to post it. Good thing for the search function.

Who else looked at the pictures and had to do a double check at the similarity of the red/black ninjette to the #511 red racer? @csmith12 was the first thing I thought about. WHEN DID HE GET OUT THERE FOR THAT PHOTO?!?!?!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:25 PM   #8
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Great article!

Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:28 PM   #9
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

Talking The Kid

You forgot The Kid. The 14 year old that shows up with his Dad or Mom with a clapped out RS-125 and proceeds to smoke everybody. The Kid may grow up to be The Alien, or may get bored and go rock climbing or BASE jumping, or fly a wingsuit when he gets old enough.

But he just might be the next Moto GP champion.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:28 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Who else looked at the pictures and had to do a double check at the similarity of the red/black ninjette to the #511 red racer? @csmith12 was the first thing I thought about. WHEN DID HE GET OUT THERE FOR THAT PHOTO?!?!?!
Not sure if that is a complement or not?!?!?!?!?

Old January 2nd, 2015, 04:55 PM   #11
sowega
ninjette.org guru

Thanks, guys. It just made the front page of Jalopnik. Thanks to all of you who shared it with your friends!

Cheers,
E

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old January 2nd, 2015, 06:53 PM   #12
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
You forgot one...

The rich guy
The rich guy also rides in a way that causes a collision that he gets the better end on then complains about the scratch on his bike while the other rider is headed to a hospital later that day...yes this really happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast1075 View Post
You forgot The Kid. The 14 year old that shows up with his Dad or Mom with a clapped out RS-125 and proceeds to smoke everybody. The Kid may grow up to be The Alien, or may get bored and go rock climbing or BASE jumping, or fly a wingsuit when he gets old enough.

Yeah, the kid is the single most impressive rider out there. No fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I'd go with compliment, though you did openly admit to being the full metal jacket coach that you are

overall a great read, hoping to be the alien someday
edit: A 10 best people to be at a trackday would be a good writeup as well

Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:10 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Lol, neither. Just an observation. I glanced at pictures in the article while reading and saw a red/black ninjette racebike on stands in the paddock and did a double take because I really really thought that was your bike. But I didn't recognize the bikes you were with from your 1000 places thread, so I was wondering how/when you got there for the photo to be taken!

Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:12 PM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
The rich guy also rides in a way that causes a collision that he gets the better end on then complains about the scratch on his bike while the other rider is headed to a hospital later that day...yes this really happened
The little arrogant dude on the black R1 who came back the second day after wrecking his R6 and then borrowed our power chord without asking while we were charging Chris's truck because he let the battery die?

Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:14 PM   #15
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
This was an awesome read.
As for our @csmith12, none of them are him. He is the Samaritan:
The guy who is overly modest and will do everything he can to make sure you have a great learning experience. He is the one the street bike guy uses (but is happy to help) and the one that makes the others stop and think about what they are really doing. Bad luck guy does better when the samaritan is with him on the track. The alien is his friend who came to the track because he was asked to join him for pit side BBQ. The Samaritan congrats the kid on great riding.

Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:25 PM   #16
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
The little arrogant dude on the black R1 who came back the second day after wrecking his R6 and then borrowed our power chord without asking while we were charging Chris's truck because he let the battery die?
actually no, there was a guy day3 at jennings who showed up on a 999 duc and proceeded to ride awfully eventually causing a wreck

he fits the bill too though, the really funny thing about that kid was that he "borrowed" the power cord to run tire warmers in novice

Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:29 PM   #17
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
right? It's Novice.

meh, his gear. If it makes him happy, more power to him. It was a damn cool looking R1, though. I wouldn't have minded taking that thing for a spin.

If my confidence hadn't been so shaken from my little incident, I would have taken the Rsizzle for a spin in N, with Chris's blessing of course.

Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:26 PM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Ya'lls....

I have a level of respect for the r6/r1 guy. How many riders would have not returned on the next day?

Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:29 PM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Lol, neither. Just an observation.
Just pulling your chain yo. You can take the r6 anytime. And I did have to do a double take on the red and black bike. lol

Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:34 PM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I'd go with compliment, though you did openly admit to being the full metal jacket coach that you are

edit: A 10 best people to be at a trackday would be a good writeup as well
I am pretty sure reality doesn't match the full metal description.

And I will for sure pull up a chair for the 10 Best list too.

Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:48 PM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
How many riders would have not returned on the next day?
Apparently not me! I'm stupid enough to get back on it after a crash.

Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:52 PM   #22
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Ya'lls....

I have a level of respect for the r6/r1 guy. How many riders would have not returned on the next day?
Assuming no injury and they let me back on the track I'd ride again, his r6 was sick though which is a shame. I loved the orange & blue paint scheme, I'll probably do something similar on a future bike of mine when I go to paint it for track use

Old January 2nd, 2015, 09:12 PM   #23
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Do the Gulf Livery from the GT500! love that one. It's a classic.

Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:30 PM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Apparently not me! I'm stupid enough to get back on it after a crash.
Better you shake off the jitters with full safety staff 2mins away than on the street. I still will never forget your dad's face when I told him it was you that went down. Litterally 3 seconds later, he was calm, cool and collected. I think he didn't want you to see him sweat, but I seen a little bit of "concerned father" come through.

@sowega - Are you sure I didn't inspire the FMJCR? It's ok if I did, I gots thick skin and will laugh about it with ya. I noticed that you viewed the Jennings thread (FMJ role playing) that I linked above, and on the same day... you published your article.

Last futzed with by csmith12; January 3rd, 2015 at 12:35 AM.

Old January 3rd, 2015, 12:35 AM   #25
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
loved this article.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2015, 10:06 AM   #26
the big mike
ninjette.org sage

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, Fazer8

what is 'The Alien' you guys mention?

Old January 3rd, 2015, 10:18 AM   #27
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the big mike View Post
what is 'The Alien' you guys mention?
Quote:
The Alien

This guy shows up on a 99 R6 with mismatched bodywork and five year old tires and whips everybody's ass. He's usually a nice guy; in fact, he's usually a really cool guy, but it's hard to like him because he's so annoyingly fast. Maybe he used to race, maybe he's a control rider for another organization, or maybe he's been genetically engineered to be a MotoGP-caliber rider. Any way you look at it, this guy is the worst.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tldr.achievement.jpg (6.3 KB, 161 views)

Old January 3rd, 2015, 10:28 AM   #28
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I just realized that there's something missing

the rossi wannabe at a first track day. I guess this is just a combination of "the mountain champion", "the rich guy", and "the racer" which usually results in a first track day crash

Old January 3rd, 2015, 10:56 AM   #29
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Better you shake off the jitters with full safety staff 2mins away than on the street...
I completely agree with this. I wish I could of done this vs waiting a week for parts, then getting on the street.

Chris you're an exception to all rules. When you need to be competitive you are and when you need to work on you, you do. But, 99% of the time you help others and put their needs before your own. You are one of the very few that believes in full mind and body discipline. You have great control and a lot to teach.
You should give yourself an achievement award for most abused...we abuse and use you and you take it. Or, track whore you go track to track whoring around and spreading your knowledge while helping others.... and having fun, your charge is a smile...

That's enough butter from me....

Old January 6th, 2015, 09:53 AM   #30
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:

We had two of those in WMRRA. Nothing like getting smoked by a ten year old.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2015, 10:15 AM   #31
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:

Grrrr! those kids piss me off so much. i think its weight advantage. plus they're too dumb to be scared yet.

Old January 6th, 2015, 10:24 AM   #32
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Grrrr! those kids piss me off so much. i think its weight advantage. plus they're too dumb to be scared yet.

Some of those kids can ride brah! But yea... after they hit the ground a few times, they slow up a bit.

Old January 6th, 2015, 10:24 AM   #33
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
LOL, this.........

I tried to get a tow from 'the kid' at one even and promptly decided it was going to hurt way too much lol
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2015, 10:27 AM   #34
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Lemme tell ya's this.

I let a kid catch me during a race one time. I rolled off on the back straight.... NEVAR AGAIN! He was like a scab that just kept hanging on for the remainder of the race. I won, barely...

Old January 6th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #35
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
haha. dont get me wrong, i love those little assholes. they're just frustrating to see them barely trying and doing everything right seemingly effortlessly

Old January 6th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #36
green_bread
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R & CBR250R

MotoAmerica's Facebook page shared the article this morning. Pretty cool. :-)
green_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2015, 06:31 AM   #37
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

The Keith Code guy.

Don't forget the twist of he wrist guy'

He's the one who has read the books and wants to challenge the coaches on points during the presentations.

^I like it when you get coaches or experienced racers that then ask him to explain WHY and he's got no idea except -Coz Keith Code said it!
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 12:38 PM   #38
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Great article

I could probably do a similar one about the 10 worst students at a riding school We see all types.

Nice read.
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 03:00 PM   #39
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
^ I would read and enjoy that writeup

Old February 3rd, 2015, 09:26 AM   #40
sowega
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Great article

I could probably do a similar one about the 10 worst students at a riding school We see all types.

Nice read.

The next article will be more about the realities of instructing.