ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 15th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #1
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Got a bike! Now what?!

I finally picked me up a 250! It's a blue 2008 with 2500 miles on.. I picked it up for a pretty good price, but it needs a few things done to it! Where to start??

1. The right side fairing is trashed. (She laid it down once and dropped it once) I'm going to have to replace it. I've been looking on eBay for an used one. There's a couple of green ones, but not blue!

2. The turn signals are out of it. The black pieces that hold them are there and the wire, but the light and lens are gone. Can I buy just the lens and bulb or do I have to buy the whole assembly?

3. The chick I bought it from was pretty short so she had it lowered. She said she took it somewhere, 'and they used some wrenches and lowered it..' She pointed to something under the seat and said she thought it had something to do with it. But it is pretty low. The rear tire has rubbed a hole in the lining above it. It doesn't rub with me on it, but it's close. How do I raise it back up????

4. She said it sat for a year ( which I believe from the build up of dust on it). It fired right up fine, but after it warmed up, I cranked the throttle and it bogged down for a bit then caught up. One time it completely stalled. This was while it was in neutral. Or if I slowly turned the throttle, like 2-3000 rpm it was like bogging down, then it was fine. It didn't do it when I was taking off in first gear. It was fine. I'm thinking maybe the carb needs cleaned?

5. The rear brake is really weak. It has pad left, but when you hit the rear brake, the piston just barely moves. It's almost like it needs bled. I might try that to see if it works. Just seems like no pressure. Any ideas?

6. She said someone told her she may need to pull a link out of the chain? Why would you need to do this? It has grease on it, but there is a little rust on the sides. Replace or relube?

It needs a few things, but it gives me something to do while I get my gear together!
Any other suggestions or recommendations?
dwright0723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Gunna need a new fairing or to get it to someone with serious talent with fiberglass. But a new one is gunna be faster and cheaper

Get some flush mounts or flush mounts are easy to make from the stock parts from other bikes. Maybe someone has a set of stockers from a race build.

Raise it back up! Either via the adjustable links or stock bones. I will have a set for sale soon. Put the stock shock preload on position 2 or 3 then adjust for your comfort.

You can try some seafoam but since you have time..... might as well take em off and clean em up, shim the needles and desnorkle.

Bleed them and check for glazing.

Just clean and lube the chain, adjust to proper slack. If it will not adjust to proper slack and your can't pull it back any farther, then yea, a line or two may be removed.

Change all fluids, pull the fairings off and check every bolt/nut/screw you can get a tool on. Then spit shine.

Oh! Gratz too.

EDIT: I might be able to help you out fixin' stuff since you are relatively close. I work for beer and pizza. lol
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #3
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

^^ What he said ^^

and congratz on the new bike.

Old June 16th, 2013, 05:39 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
IMHO, just suck it up and get a new fairing piece. It's going to be hell trying to get a glass job to look like anything but a disaster. False economy.

Definitely raise it back up BUT don't do just one end at a time, because that will affect the bike's handling (and not necessarily in a good way). The "thing she pointed to under the seat" is, assuming she was pointing at the right thing, a lowering link. It alters the suspension geometry on the back end, allowing the bike to sit lower. Some are adjustable, some are not. If adjustable you may be able to raise it back up using those pieces. If not you'll need a stock link (also sometimes called "dog bones" because that's what they look like).

To do this you're going to need to support the bike so you can take the shock linkage apart.

On the front end you simply loosen all the fork tube clamps and slide the forks back down to stock position. However, given that the stock handle bars are still on the bike, she may never have lowered the front (on a Ninjette, unlike many other bikes, the handlebars cover the top of the fork tubes which makes it pretty much impossible to lower the front end unless you also add risers or switch to clipons). If that's true, the altered handling with the rear lowered and the front not might possibly have contributed to her accident.

I agree about the carbs… sea foam or other good carb cleaner should do you fine for now. You'll get better performance if you do take out the carbs and do as csmith suggested. You'll get MUCH better performance (assuming you've got the money) if you also install an AreaP full exhaust and jet kit. If you're going to pull the carbs anyway, might as well do it up right! (Seriously, the Area P was by far the best thing I ever did for my bike.)

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
You'll get MUCH better performance (assuming you've got the money) if you also install an AreaP full exhaust and jet kit. If you're going to pull the carbs anyway, might as well do it up right! (Seriously, the Area P was by far the best thing I ever did for my bike.)
no doubt there but don't loose sight of your current goal with shiny bits. GEAR UP! I have seen it before, new rider gets bike and it begins..... other things suffer like gear, time, family, money, ect.. ect.. lol

Old June 16th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #6
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Get some flush mounts or flush mounts are easy to make from the stock parts from other bikes. Maybe someone has a set of stockers from a race build. Actually I just found the lens of $7 a piece and the bulbs for $3 a piece on www.kawasakipartshouse.com . Seems like it would be the cheapest way to go.

Raise it back up! Either via the adjustable links or stock bones. I will have a set for sale soon. Put the stock shock preload on position 2 or 3 then adjust for your comfort. Alright, I'll have to do some digging around the site plus google to figure out what those are and what they look like. Well I know what the shock looks like but not the links or the stock bones. Learning experience !

You can try some seafoam but since you have time..... might as well take em off and clean em up, shim the needles and desnorkle. Hmm.. I can do the seafoam, I can clean carbs, but you lost me with shimming the needles and desnorkle . Maybe I need to dig through the tech section!

Just clean and lube the chain, adjust to proper slack. If it will not adjust to proper slack and your can't pull it back any farther, then yea, a line or two may be removed. How do you figure out what the proper slack is?

Change all fluids, pull the fairings off and check every bolt/nut/screw you can get a tool on. Then spit shine. Will cleaning it with the fairings off hurt anything or do I need to put them back on before I clean. I'm sure the inside and outside needs cleaned.. Tons of dust built up on this thing..

Oh! Gratz too.
Thanks!
EDIT: I might be able to help you out fixin' stuff since you are relatively close. I work for beer and pizza. lol
Hell come on up! I'm always down with pizza and beer! Can you said Marion's?! It shouldn't be too bad once I figure out what's what. I think its just enough to keep me occupied till I can get all of my gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post
^^ What he said ^^

and congratz on the new bike.
Thanks!!!

Old June 16th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #7
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

congrats! i picked mines up 2weeks ago only driven it twice but im looking forward to riding again. I got lucky and found a red nose i was looking for got it used for $100 still looking for a right side fairing in red :/ seems like its going to be hard to find.
rcruz17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #8
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Definitely raise it back up BUT don't do just one end at a time, because that will affect the bike's handling (and not necessarily in a good way). The "thing she pointed to under the seat" is, assuming she was pointing at the right thing, a lowering link. It alters the suspension geometry on the back end, allowing the bike to sit lower. Some are adjustable, some are not. If adjustable you may be able to raise it back up using those pieces. If not you'll need a stock link (also sometimes called "dog bones" because that's what they look like). What she pointed to was a round metal pole that was about 3inches in diameter. at the bottom of it was a round thing with a rigid top. I'll take a pic later. Probably has nothing to do with it...

To do this you're going to need to support the bike so you can take the shock linkage apart. Ughh... I bought a motorcycle jack last year to help me life a transmission into a FWD car by myself and sold it last December.

On the front end you simply loosen all the fork tube clamps and slide the forks back down to stock position. However, given that the stock handle bars are still on the bike, she may never have lowered the front (on a Ninjette, unlike many other bikes, the handlebars cover the top of the fork tubes which makes it pretty much impossible to lower the front end unless you also add risers or switch to clipons). If that's true, the altered handling with the rear lowered and the front not might possibly have contributed to her accident. That would suck if thats what caused her to crash! I don't see risers under where the bar mounts..

I agree about the carbs… sea foam or other good carb cleaner should do you fine for now. You'll get better performance if you do take out the carbs and do as csmith suggested. You'll get MUCH better performance (assuming you've got the money) if you also install an AreaP full exhaust and jet kit. If you're going to pull the carbs anyway, might as well do it up right! (Seriously, the Area P was by far the best thing I ever did for my bike.)
Jet kit I could probably do. Full exhaust, maybe down the road!
Quote:
no doubt there but don't loose sight of your current goal with shiny bits. GEAR UP! I have seen it before, new rider gets bike and it begins..... other things suffer like gear, time, family, money, ect.. ect.. lol
^^^ This.. Gear is eating me up now Not riding it till I get everything.

Old June 16th, 2013, 07:45 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

We can make a play date Darryl. lol PM me your schedule for the next few weeks and we can work something out.

Until then, you can research ask questions, give the bike a good look through and cleaning.

I play it safe when washing the bike with the fairings off and use the hose with my finger over the opening to control water pressure when I need more than just water flow. With the fairings on, I use the wife's spray attachment, it's pretty good pressure but not as much as the car wash or pressure washer. BUT... nothing beats a good hand washing with a soft cloth, rinse and wax. Remember, no tire shine playa.

If we can get together soon, I will answer all your questions as we go through your issues and hopefully I will not find any new ones. I will keep an eye out for a fairing for you too.

Welcome to the happy world of bike ownership.

Old June 16th, 2013, 07:47 AM   #10
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcruz17 View Post
congrats! i picked mines up 2weeks ago only driven it twice but im looking forward to riding again. I got lucky and found a red nose i was looking for got it used for $100 still looking for a right side fairing in red :/ seems like its going to be hard to find.
Thanks! There were some on eBay.. I thought I saw a red one on there. They were only like $80.. I found some at http://www.kawasakipartshouse.com also for $239..

Old June 16th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #11
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nice job Chris!!

Darryl, congrats on the bike! You're in good hands with Chris. Just don't make fun of his KY accent.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

You'ins aint gunna be makin' fun of a right fine southern gentleman are yous? Yes sir, I gots me a strong southern draw, quick hillbilly whit and redneck way of doin' stuff. But I aint havin' it any udder ways, ya hear.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 16th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #13
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Nice job Chris!!

Darryl, congrats on the bike! You're in good hands with Chris. Just don't make fun of his KY accent.
Quote:
You'ins aint gunna be makin' fun of a right fine southern gentleman are yous? Yes sir, I gots me a strong southern draw, quick hillbilly whit and redneck way of doin' stuff. But I aint havin' it any udder ways, ya hear.
Hehehehehe no worries. I just moved back up here after being in NC for 6 years.. I'm used to it! I miss the south.. Can't wait till I graduate to head back down there somewhere.. Until then, I brought some apple pie back to savor the memories Oh and thanks!!

Old June 16th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I know what you mean. I just got back from a trip to Lexington, KY. I had such a blast chatting with locals and checking out the town. I wish everyone was as pleasant and welcoming as people in Lexington. I really want to move south after college.

Old June 16th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright0723 View Post
Hehehehehe no worries. I just moved back up here after being in NC for 6 years.. I'm used to it! I miss the south.. Can't wait till I graduate to head back down there somewhere.. Until then, I brought some moon pies back to savor the memories Oh and thanks!!
I be fixin' it up for ya.

Old June 16th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #16
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I know what you mean. I just got back from a trip to Lexington, KY. I had such a blast chatting with locals and checking out the town. I wish everyone was as pleasant and welcoming as people in Lexington. I really want to move south after college.
Where are you going to college?

Quote:
I be fixin' it up for ya.
Hahahaha moonpies... the peanut butter ones are awesome!

I just figured out what that 'thing' was the chick was pointing to under the seat.. It is the shock lol. I just pulled the right side fairing and could see it a lot better. The preload is set on 2.

I'm guessing these are the dog bones?

And what is this rubber hose hanging down? Looks like it goes into the top left of the tank... Ventilation?

Old June 16th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #17
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Those are the aftermarket dog bones. They are at the lowest setting now. You can raise to the "3rd hole" until you got the stock pieces back, for some much needed clearance. Probably want someone to sit on the bike as you do this, to relieve the pressure.

The hose is ventilation/overflow. (I honestly don't remember if it was fuel tank or airbox)

If she gave you the stock tool kit, there is a spanner wrench for adjusting the shock to your preference.

Old June 16th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #18
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
No, those are actually on the highest setting. Longer dogbones = lower rear, shorter dogbones = higher rear.

dwright0723, I go to school at Ohio Northern University, but when I'm at school, I only bring my cage. So the motorcycle and I are a good ways from you. We're in between Cleveland and Akron for the summers.

Old June 16th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #19
NinjaMechanic1
Young Gun

Name: Evan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Passion Red Kawasaki Ninja 250

One the subject of the fairing, make sure you get the right color. 2008 is Candy Plasma Blue as opposed to 09 (and i think 10) Candy Thunder Blue. Plasma blue is the best looking though, good choice on the bike!
NinjaMechanic1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #20
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

I did not know that, was just trying to decipher the picture and the fact that components were rubbing.

Old June 16th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
No biggie!

The rear tire is rubbing because the bike is lowered. Temporarily you can try adding preload to get the bike to use less of the shock's travel, but it might make the ride a little hard.

Old June 16th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #22
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
dwright0723, I go to school at Ohio Northern University, but when I'm at school, I only bring my cage. So the motorcycle and I are a good ways from you. We're in between Cleveland and Akron for the summers.
Ahh nice.. I'm at OSU... Killing my piggy bank..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaMechanic1 View Post
One the subject of the fairing, make sure you get the right color. 2008 is Candy Plasma Blue as opposed to 09 (and i think 10) Candy Thunder Blue. Plasma blue is the best looking though, good choice on the bike!
Ahh good call! Thanks!

Quote:
I did not know that, was just trying to decipher the picture and the fact that components were rubbing.
Whoops lol I dropped it to the bottom hole before I read this. Now it's rubbing without any weight on it

Quote:
No biggie!

The rear tire is rubbing because the bike is lowered. Temporarily you can try adding preload to get the bike to use less of the shock's travel, but it might make the ride a little hard.
Eh.. I'll just wait till I get the stock ones.. It was a pain to move them. Don't want to move them again just to have to move them again

Got the right side fairing off. Guess I'll keep it in case i need the heat shield off of it. Then I bled the brakes and that fixed that problem! How the hell do you get that much air in the lines?! Like the first 3 times I opened the bleeder I got air!
I went and picked up some Rotella T6 5w-40, a fram filter, and plug earlier.. Should I run some Seafoam through the oil before I change it?
I think i'll try to get the carbs removed after that.. I'm having fun and learning..

Old June 17th, 2013, 12:13 AM   #23
JanqeD
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r SE

Quote:
No, those are actually on the highest setting. Longer dogbones = lower rear, shorter dogbones = higher rear.

ONU Polar Bears? I lived at Lakeview then enlisted in the Air Force in Lima been there for 18 years. Nice bike though OP some elbow grease and youll be on your way! Oh and gear of course.
JanqeD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 03:48 AM   #24
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

valve adjust?

Taker your time and go through the bike. While you have fairings off pull the tank and valve cover and check valve lash settings. I have a pre gen which I am told is easier to set.

Someone on here will have an 08+ and be able to advise on properly setting valves, synching carbs etc.

Change fluids(coolant, oil/filter) and you're good to go!

Old June 17th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Got the right side fairing off. Guess I'll keep it in case i need the heat shield off of it. Then I bled the brakes and that fixed that problem! How the hell do you get that much air in the lines?! Like the first 3 times I opened the bleeder I got air!
I went and picked up some Rotella T6 5w-40, a fram filter, and plug earlier.. Should I run some Seafoam through the oil before I change it?
I think i'll try to get the carbs removed after that.. I'm having fun and learning..
It's not my thing to run seafoam in the oil of a motorized vehicle without just cause. I understand some people do, just not me. If the oil is contaminated and cannot be cleaned within a few normal changes and the contamination is not being caused by another problem then I would consider seafoam in the oil.

And yea, I keep all fairing parts, even the broken bits. My friend Kevin is a miracle worker with fairings. Like I was saying in a pm to you, if you would have had all the pieces to your current fairing, there would be a good chance he could put it back together. Yep, he is that good. I have been trying to get him to make molds for ninja's as a side job but he wont. He likes to sculpt the broken areas by hand and likes the variety of the different fairings on different bikes.

You can buy new heat shielding at pep boys and cut it to the shape you need.

Old June 17th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #26
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Whoops lol I dropped it to the bottom hole before I read this. Now it's rubbing without any weight on it

Eh.. I'll just wait till I get the stock ones.. It was a pain to move them. Don't want to move them again just to have to move them again
Sorry again

Old June 17th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #27
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Got a bike! Now what!
Father: go to college
Unregistered: so I graduate and ask Now What!
Father: Get a job
Unregistered: so I get a job and ask Now What!
Father: I don't know, get married

I can't be the only one who thought of the scene
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #28
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I can't be the only one who thought of the scene
Yes you can.

Old June 17th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #29
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanqeD View Post
ONU Polar Bears? I lived at Lakeview then enlisted in the Air Force in Lima been there for 18 years.
Yes, that ONU! Good to see another Polar Bear on here. If you ever (within the next 2 years) would like a tour of the newer buildings on campus, let me know.

Old June 17th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #30
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
Taker your time and go through the bike. While you have fairings off pull the tank and valve cover and check valve lash settings. I have a pre gen which I am told is easier to set.

Someone on here will have an 08+ and be able to advise on properly setting valves, synching carbs etc.

Change fluids(coolant, oil/filter) and you're good to go!
Hmmm I'll have to Youtube how to do that!

Quote:
Sorry again
No problem buddy! I'm having fun with it. At least now I know!

I pulled the seat and tank today to get to the carb, and in my fuel line, it looked looks like there is a ziptie in there. Is that in there to keep it from collapsing or is it not supposed to be there?

Also there was a nipple on the edge of the unit that the fuel gauge is connect to on the bottom of the fuel tank that wasn't connected to anything. Is that supposed to be like that?

Last futzed with by dwright0723; June 17th, 2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Forgot something!

Old June 17th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
I pulled the seat and tank today to get to the carb, and in my fuel line, it looked looks like there is a ziptie in there. Is that in there to keep it from collapsing or is it not supposed to be there?
Pull that out to inspect how clean it is. That is your inline fuel filter and should be there or in the carb where you pulled the hose from. When you put it back together, put the filter back into the carb, then slip the line over like it came off.

Quote:
Also there was a nipple on the edge of the unit that the fuel gauge is connect to on the bottom of the fuel tank that wasn't connected to anything. Is that supposed to be like that?
Yes, sir. Nothing connects there.

Old June 17th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #32
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Pull that out to inspect how clean it is. That is your inline fuel filter and should be there or in the carb where you pulled the hose from. When you put it back together, put the filter back into the carb, then slip the line over like it came off.
Yes, sir. Nothing connects there.
Gotcha! Thanks! I'll yank the carb tomorrow and clean it. I think I'll hold off on the jet kit for a bit. I've spent about all I can this week on the bike + taxes+ plugs/oil/filter+ helmet+ insurance+ dog bones. Gotta get the rest of my gear. Can't wait to start getting paychecks from my new job. I should have done all this before I decided to quit my good full time job to go to college.....

Old June 18th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #33
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

I pulled carbs and they were actually really clean inside.. No build up at all. I guess the plugs look ok.. Maybe a little rich?

Air filter looked like crap though. definitely going to replace that. What else would cause it to bog down around 2-3000 rpm when giving it lots of gas or rolling on very slowly... It only seems to do it while it was in neutral. It was fine when I rode it. It did sputter a little bit when I first test drive it, but I figured that was because it was cold. It didn't do it anymore beyond the initial first minute or so. Maybe the gas is crap?

Old June 21st, 2013, 11:58 PM   #34
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Got everything back together and fired it back up.. It seems like it's fine if you moderately twist on the throttle, but it still bogs down if you crank the throttle hard. Also if you moderately give it throttle, it's fine till about 4000 rpm, then it starts bog down and sputter. If you give it more throttle while this is happening, it stalls out. Could it be getting too much fuel?

Old June 22nd, 2013, 03:23 AM   #35
Swurvin
ninjette.org newbie

Name: JT

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Hey Im from DAYTON too!!! haha north of down town actually

man i saw that thing on craigslist... i hope you didnt pay much for that... it looked trashed to me I was thinking about buyiung it... I wish i would have known you were in the market I just put my 2009 blue 250 on craigslist... bought it with mismatched tank and fender, its all blue and looking sexy! haha

good deal on the purchse though!

your bog down problem mine did the same thing, I changed the plugs in it and ran seafoam, then 100 miles later changed the plugs again along with an air filter... runs great now! if you're not letting it warm up enough it will bog down and stall, I know i let mine idle in the drive way for 5 minutes or longer than take it easy on it and it will still bog down till its completely warmed up... then once shes fully warmed up it runs flawless!!!
Swurvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 03:24 AM   #36
Swurvin
ninjette.org newbie

Name: JT

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

check your ilde postion adjustment... i know mine was idling at 2000 rpm then once I adjusted it down to 1200-1400 rpm and that seemed to help alot
Swurvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:29 PM   #37
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurvin View Post
Hey Im from DAYTON too!!! haha north of down town actually
Nice. I'm from the Harrison Township area.

man i saw that thing on craigslist... i hope you didnt pay much for that... it looked trashed to me I was thinking about buyiung it... I wish i would have known you were in the market I just put my 2009 blue 250 on craigslist... bought it with mismatched tank and fender, its all blue and looking sexy! haha

good deal on the purchse though!
Hahaha it's not that bad. That right side was just one piece.. Then the turn signals. As long as this issue I'm having is minor, i'll have around $2300-2400 in it.

your bog down problem mine did the same thing, I changed the plugs in it and ran seafoam, then 100 miles later changed the plugs again along with an air filter... runs great now! if you're not letting it warm up enough it will bog down and stall, I know i let mine idle in the drive way for 5 minutes or longer than take it easy on it and it will still bog down till its completely warmed up... then once shes fully warmed up it runs flawless!!!
I've changed the plugs, dumped 3/4th of a bottle of sea foam in there with less than 1/2 tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swurvin View Post
check your ilde postion adjustment... i know mine was idling at 2000 rpm then once I adjusted it down to 1200-1400 rpm and that seemed to help alot
mine is idling at about 1300.. just barely above the 1 line.

I'm wondering if maybe it just needs to be ran It doesn't seem to be hanging at 4000 as bad, and if you hold it there it'll eventually finishing moving up through the rpms. It still sputters or stalls when getting on the gas hard. I'm wondering if maybe it's dumping in too much fuel...

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #38
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Think I figured out my issue with the the bogging.. I adjusted my idle from 1300ish rpm to 14-1500 ish. Not sure if it was the problem or if I just masked it. .... One more question! Putting it all back together, I am at the part where I'm bolting my fairings back on. I am on the last bolt, but instead of having a bolt for the fairing, I have a counter-sunk phillips head screw . Anyone have any idea where I stole this screw from?

Old June 27th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #39
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Think I figured out my issue with the the bogging.. I adjusted my idle from 1300ish rpm to 14-1500 ish. Not sure if it was the problem or if I just masked it. .... One more question! Putting it all back together, I am at the part where I'm bolting my fairings back on. I am on the last bolt, but instead of having a bolt for the fairing, I have a counter-sunk phillips head screw . Anyone have any idea where I stole this screw from?
Never seen a countersink screw on the bike at all so a pic of it would help clearify what your talking about.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #40
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Never seen a countersink screw on the bike at all so a pic of it would help clearify what your talking about.