Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 22nd, 2011, 03:35 PM   #81
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i think we can all agree "A" is an idiot and is talking out of his ass with little or no real experience on the subject. sounds like nemesis pegged it with crashing out in the first session.
I don't know what Nemesis said and I don't care to know.
Whatever he said have nothing to do with proving anything I said being incorrect nor fiction.

I have never crashed on the track, a few time I ran wide and held the bike upright in the grass, but never once went down, damage myself nor my bike. After 4 years, 6-9 track events per year, I got tired of the prep work and cost of track riding, when there are plenty of nice roads just out from my driveway.

Quote:
to think that street riding is safer in ANY way than riding on a track is absolutely preposterous. what's even more ridiculous is all of this is coming from a guy who barely wears gear on the street, and advocates people not wearing helmets if they dont feel like it.
I never said street riding is safer than track or vice versa, maybe you read something incorrectly, but don't acuse me of saying anything of such sort.

do you know how mch gear I wear when I ride?

have you ever ridden with me?

have you got any pictures of me while I'm riding?

If people do not feel like wearing helmet when they ride aggressively that's totally up to them, but not all riding require wearing a helmet.

Quote:
"A", stop being a fool and a troll. what was the last constructive or beneficial thing you posted to this site? its been a LONG time since i've seen you post anything but hateful trolling and bad advice. why dont you stop spending money on new bikes and spend some time riding them to their limit once in awhile. or maybe its that you dont understand how to tell where a bikes limits are? maybe you crashed a few times long ago and now you dont push anything? because when you arent pushing anything, im sure the street would probably feel much safer. especially when you are in the middle of nowhere and there is no traffic around (another thing you posted)

honestly, "A", stfu.

i know i will get bashed for being such a dick publicly, but you have warranted it.
You get bashed only because you deserve it, your assumptions are baseless and inaccurate.

I like my life filled with many options.. I like to purchase cheap bikes, ride them and flip them to make a profit.

All these wrong assumptions about me personally just shows that you are the fool and immature.

You should stop being a fool and pretend that you know anything about me.

You should stop being a troll and contribute to the thread topic instead of stocking my previous post just to hold a grudge against me, stop living in the past and grow up.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2011, 04:10 PM   #82
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Any way we can all agree to get this thread:

Some people are happy to make trackdays their sole motorcycling outlet. Some people aren't. Neither are wrong. What's to bicker about?

(EDIT: didn't even see the pun until I looked at the finished post with the pic. My apologies. )

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM   #83
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
*cough*

Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM   #84
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Guys - take it to PM's. Next non TOS-compliant post in this thread gets a 2-week ban.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM   #85
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

This one doesn't count alex i was typing it as you posted the above ^^

"I can't gymkhana"

Nemesis great quote from that first time track rider. Couldn't have explained my first track day feelings any better. If "A" actually went to track ever in his life, he would know that all the things he listed as inconveniencing parts about it (ofcourse most of them are bs) are actually worth it. Even if they were all accurate points, which they're not.

I mean how ignorant can you be that you tell someone who has been on track and loved it that it's an inconvenient way of riding...

Oh and "A" you do realize that I've learned in those "2 hours" (Which is bs cause I rode every session that day with no problems) more than I could in 2 years of street riding right? Since you probably never tracked or did but crashed in first session and got scared and sweared to never do it again, you don't realize how much of a vast learning experience it is.

In any case, why the hell wouldn't you just state your opinion "I prefer street riding to track" and end it there? Stop the trolling please.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2011, 05:44 PM   #86
Alex
ninjette.org dude

See you in two weeks. Anyone else?

Old December 22nd, 2011, 09:05 PM   #87
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
Nemesis great quote from that first time track rider. Couldn't have explained my first track day feelings any better. If "A" actually went to track ever in his life, he would know that all the things he listed as inconveniencing parts about it (ofcourse most of them are bs) are actually worth it. Even if they were all accurate points, which they're not.
Since you (and whom ever Nemesis was quoting) are new to track riding, the loading and unloading of bikes is just something you've limited experience with and have not gotten tired of them.

You probably have never gone through the inconvenience of seeing your friend get taken out by another rider who might have been similar to you, who was unsure about their riding skills and just want to practice going fast.

You probably never have to tell your friend's relatives that he's not coming home and they need to decide quickly whether or not he's donaing his organs.

Quote:
I mean how ignorant can you be that you tell someone who has been on track and loved it that it's an inconvenient way of riding...
Again, assumption of my personality is unnecessary.

I did not say such thing, you are reading into my writing and reaching for ideas that I did not express.
I stated facts about track riding that you have to go through everytime you ride at the track and compared with facts about street riding.

Quote:
Oh and "A" you do realize that I've learned in those "2 hours" (Which is bs cause I rode every session that day with no problems) more than I could in 2 years of street riding right? Since you probably never tracked or did but crashed in first session and got scared and sweared to never do it again, you don't realize how much of a vast learning experience it is.
Good for you that you rode every sessions in your first track event, maybe you have not been riding hard or fast enough to really tested to your physical limits.

Do you realize why they only allow beginner track riders to get on 20-25 minutes per session?

Have you ever experience the physical stress that comes with riding at triple digit speed for extended amount of time repeatedly?

Quote:
In any case, why the hell wouldn't you just state your opinion "I prefer street riding to track" and end it there? Stop the trolling please.
My oponion is never a simple one, I use critical thinking and compare my experience to give an reasonable conclusion.
They may not be what you want to hear but facts are often not pleasing to the ear.

You admited yourself that you are not good at slow speed maneuvers, yet you want to ride fast on the track where majority of traffic is moving fast. Combine that with testosterone and different riding skill levels of multiple riders, the outcome of the combination is someting no one can predict. Sometimes they can be dangerous, more dangerous that you ever imagined maybe.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2011, 10:41 PM   #88
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

Another legitimate thread torpedoed by trolling...
Posted via Mobile Device
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:55 PM   #89
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Well, that was a painful way to get some info...

I'm considering buying a track-only bike. No ins, no trailer since rental MC trailers here are cheap for the occasional TD.

BUT...I was advised by my all-knowing guru to make my future track bike street legal so I would always know its condition and be aware of any issues before they become problems on a track day. Something to think about for people who may only be able to go to the track once in a while.

The easy parts of track prep don't take much time and my guru said that his wired down bits are always wired down even on his street bikes.

I would really miss street riding because it's how I learn to become one with the bike, going slow will make me go faster if I want to at a track. Smooth in one place will make you smooth in the other.

On the streets, it's zen riding. Relaxed, learning all different maneuvers without pressure, scenery, the feel of the air in my face/visor.. The workout it gives me when it's not all smooth like a track. The constant awareness that I need in traffic can only help me when I get to the track. The split second timing I need on the street may help me on the track.

When I do get to the track, sorry to disappoint but I won't be there for the speed. If I want speed, I will hop on a little plane or maybe go drag racing, I'm all about the corners, I want to lean the way I can't (shouldn't) on the streets. I want to have the feeling of finding the perfect line at the perfect speed, to feel the suspension even out at the right time and shoot me out of the turn like a (slowish) bullet. I want to experience a long controlled drift. Short little drifts get my blood going but in a parking lot, there's just no succession of different challenges lined up. Parking lots are very cool for testing yourself against yourself. No competition, just you and the bike trying to find that perfect balance.

Sometimes we all need to take a breath and enjoy the art of motorcycling for it's own virtues.

Keep the bike for both and store it at work, my humble opinion. Don't do any mods you can't easily reverse for the street.

Save some track money by buying some motorcycle mags, and reading them on the way to work on public transportation. It will cut you car insurance, gas and maintenance. Use the car for necessity rides and use the bike for track and pleasure-only rides.
My two cents, good topic!
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:02 AM   #90
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
When I do get to the track, sorry to disappoint but I won't be there for the speed. If I want speed, I will hop on a little plane or maybe go drag racing, I'm all about the corners, I want to lean the way I can't (shouldn't) on the streets. I want to have the feeling of finding the perfect line at the perfect speed, to feel the suspension even out at the right time and shoot me out of the turn like a (slowish) bullet. I want to experience a long controlled drift. Short little drifts get my blood going but in a parking lot, there's just no succession of different challenges lined up.
Well said That's why I go to the track a lot because I love the feeling of getting my lines just right and at just the right speed. We have a local track out here that is small and full on corners which is perfect for the 250.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:08 AM   #91
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
Well said That's why I go to the track a lot because I love the feeling of getting my lines just right and at just the right speed. We have a local track out here that is small and full on corners which is perfect for the 250.
Awesome! When can I visit? LOL! Need to wrangle up a passport but that sounds like my kinda track day.

I always remind people that are newbie like me but only talk about speed:
The SECOND mouse gets the cheese. Finesse is good.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:18 AM   #92
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
The SECOND mouse gets the cheese.

Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:34 AM   #93
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Awesome! When can I visit? LOL! Need to wrangle up a passport but that sounds like my kinda track day.

I always remind people that are newbie like me but only talk about speed:
The SECOND mouse gets the cheese. Finesse is good.
Anytime you want! But you might want to wait for the snow to leave its like a 1ft deep out here, which means I don't get to touch my bike for a couple weeks. IMI out here is a great track for 250s, on the longest straight you can only get up to about 70 on the 250 and as a bonus don't have to prep your bike to go on the track (so long as its in good condition). Another track out here, HPR, you do have to prep the bike but its a great track with some nice technical turns. Even has a mini corkscrew like turn

Old December 23rd, 2011, 12:50 AM   #94
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Anytime you want! But you might want to wait for the snow to leave its like a 1ft deep out here, which means I don't get to touch my bike for a couple weeks. IMI out here is a great track for 250s, on the longest straight you can only get up to about 70 on the 250 and as a bonus don't have to prep your bike to go on the track (so long as its in good condition). Another track out here, HPR, you do have to prep the bike but its a great track with some nice technical turns. Even has a mini corkscrew like turn
Sounds brilliant!
We have no snow atm but freezing rain right now, Bike stays covered. After I get to ride a few more times, it's going into the shop for a once-over and hibernation. Our snow is late this year but unfortunately it will come and ruin my new riding life for a couple months at least.

Long term forecast is saying that it will be floating around the freezing mark at least until Jan 4th so I still have a few more rides left.

My closest track is Shannonville, maybe an hour away but so far I've met three people that go there and one of my instructors from my course told me I should go there on women's nights, the instructors from the daytime hang around so there's lots of info to be gained if I just keep my ears perked.

There's a more professional track to the north and one just north of Toronto. I think that one is trying to get the Superbike races. If I go Quebec direction, there's one that also has ice racing in the winter. I had hoped to do that this winter but things happen so maybe next year.

We just got a new dirt track near me. Haven't tried it yet but I will in the summer since all the track guys tell me that they learned a lot from being on dirtbikes too. It will strengthen up my core more for sure.

I will definitely drop you a note when I manage to get a southern track tour going. Thanks!

Old December 23rd, 2011, 01:16 AM   #95
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Sounds brilliant!
We have no snow atm but freezing rain right now, Bike stays covered. After I get to ride a few more times, it's going into the shop for a once-over and hibernation. Our snow is late this year but unfortunately it will come and ruin my new riding life for a couple months at least.

Long term forecast is saying that it will be floating around the freezing mark at least until Jan 4th so I still have a few more rides left.

My closest track is Shannonville, maybe an hour away but so far I've met three people that go there and one of my instructors from my course told me I should go there on women's nights, the instructors from the daytime hang around so there's lots of info to be gained if I just keep my ears perked.

There's a more professional track to the north and one just north of Toronto. I think that one is trying to get the Superbike races. If I go Quebec direction, there's one that also has ice racing in the winter. I had hoped to do that this winter but things happen so maybe next year.

We just got a new dirt track near me. Haven't tried it yet but I will in the summer since all the track guys tell me that they learned a lot from being on dirtbikes too. It will strengthen up my core more for sure.

I will definitely drop you a note when I manage to get a southern track tour going. Thanks!
Cool, let me know there are plenty of fun tracks and beautiful mountain roads out here to keep the avid motorcyclist entertained!

Ice racing huh? Sounds fun and different. I haven't tried doing dirt biking, but I watch dirt bikers while I wait at IMI sometimes (there is a dirt track on the complex as well). When I see them jump into the air it is an awesome sight.

I have that itch to go to the track again especially since I added more power to the bike, but gotta wait till it warms up some more.

Old December 25th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #96
Hopmix
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 11 CBR250R

don't you also have to consider performance. Tires. Track body work, Suspension, brakes, ect.. Thats where the cost is. I just picked up a 600 and am tracking my 250. Im looking at dropping nearly 4 grand and I already have all my engine mods. everything else is in handling.
Hopmix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #97
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopmix View Post
don't you also have to consider performance. Tires. Track body work, Suspension, brakes, ect.. Thats where the cost is. I just picked up a 600 and am tracking my 250. Im looking at dropping nearly 4 grand and I already have all my engine mods. everything else is in handling.
Around here you can go to the track as a complete newbie before you decide if you want to go whole-hog. All you NEED to do is wire down some bits that might come off like bolts and such. (A good idea anytime when you think about it), tape over all the 'glass' on the lights, change the coolant to water and you are good to go.

Some people take off their mirrors so I guess it depends on the track and if it is a private rental/lessons etc. The fairings are pretty easy to take off/put on. Tires? Again it's probably up to personal choice. If you want to race, many track give good deals from the tire people there but if you're just going for a bit of fun, lots of people have no trouble getting a big lean on the stock cheapies.

My suspension is already hard as a rock and I've just never gotten around to changing it so I guess I'm good there. I think the dealer thought I weighed a lot more than I do. I bought my jacket and pants in a large size so I could wear clothing under them so I look pretty chubby. I think I just got used to having it that way since I'd never ridden a motorcycle before.

And if you want to 'officially' race in the ninja 250 class, you'll have to put it back to nearly stock since many mods aren't allowed, just the basics, rearsets, tires etc .http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/157/54...50-Racing.aspx

I think there's quite a few people on here that race, they should be able to give you all the info you need for set-ups at different tracks. Another idea might be to tag along at someone else's trackday and see what exactly you need to do and which companies/techs are there to help you out and advise you. Worth their weight in gold from what I've heard.

So as you can see by this over-long reply...No, I don't have to consider performance because I'm a newbie and just want to see what my little ninja does all by itself. I should say what WE do! LOL! If I'm 20th out of 20 riders, my big goofy grin will be number 1.

Old December 26th, 2011, 10:59 PM   #98
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopmix View Post
Oops, I'm a plank. I just saw that you will most likely not be going to the ninja race series since you own the new CBR.
No matter, everything else still applies. I almost bought one of those. Sweet bike.

Old December 26th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #99
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Cool, let me know there are plenty of fun tracks and beautiful mountain roads out here to keep the avid motorcyclist entertained!

Ice racing huh? Sounds fun and different. I haven't tried doing dirt biking, but I watch dirt bikers while I wait at IMI sometimes (there is a dirt track on the complex as well). When I see them jump into the air it is an awesome sight.

I have that itch to go to the track again especially since I added more power to the bike, but gotta wait till it warms up some more.
I will, breathtaking beauty there.

Here's what you can do on ice. Need KoldKutter studs on your tires though. They work just fine with a ninja too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKCjk...eature=related

Old December 30th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #100
Jiggyfly
ninjette.org member

Name: Shon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki ninja 250

A great friend of mine, & fellow long time CCS team mate once said, "if it was easy, everyone would do it!"

Bike prep, sprocket changes, suspension changes, loading, tire warmers, generator, set up 3 canopies, gas, etc, etc, etc......****, by the time you actually throw a leg over the bike.....that's the easy part!

I've been racing since 1997, (yes, I'm old!), and I still ride on the street.
I've had a dedicated race bike (or 3 at a time) since I started. But I love motorcycles.....period. I've road raced, ice raced, hare scramble, MX....stunted on mini's.....rode a Harley bagger to Sturgis. I attend AMA, WSBK, & motogp rounds. I rode an EX500 from Wisconsin to Indy for Motogp. Point being.....I, personally, will never limit my riding to one discipline. With that said, I will also always road race. I think the more you ride, in any form.....the better you'll be, period. If I was ever limited to one form, it'd be road racing, no doubt.

Get a dedicated track bike.....you won't regret it.
I'll be the guy that throws my hand up & says that there's better street bikes than a 250......but it makes a better than excellent race bike! (& I've raced no less than 12 different bikes in my "career")
Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #101
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Since you (and whom ever Nemesis was quoting) are new to track riding, the loading and unloading of bikes is just something you've limited experience with and have not gotten tired of them.

You probably have never gone through the inconvenience of seeing your friend get taken out by another rider who might have been similar to you, who was unsure about their riding skills and just want to practice going fast.

You probably never have to tell your friend's relatives that he's not coming home and they need to decide quickly whether or not he's donaing his organs.
This post right here reeks of FEAR!

To those reading this guy's post don't be like this guy. Don't let fear get the best of you. Because FEAR can be the death of you. AND WHAT I MEAN BY THAT IS IF YOU LET YOUR FEAR GET IN THE WAY of cornering, leaning the bike, counter steering, looking through the turn, rolling on the throttle, the will to never give up, to get back up when you've fallen, to dream of being THAT good, etc. it can & will result in devastating results. Because by not doing the above you will target fixate, you will unsettle your bike, you will run wide, lowside, highside, break bones, hurt others & yourself, & potentially end your life sooner than you'd want. This is purely my opinion and experiences on the streets breaking bones left & right because I was that guy in FEAR.

Understand every time you place your leg over your motorcycle, you are basically forfeiting your life so to speak. So why FEAR?

And by no means am I saying go out there and split lanes like a maniac and got WOT on the streets. I'm just saying don't be like this guy.

Quote:
I stated facts about track riding that you have to go through everytime you ride at the track and compared with facts about street riding.
Facts?
This guy's experience has zero credibility.

Quote:
Good for you that you rode every sessions in your first track event, maybe you have not been riding hard or fast enough to really tested to your physical limits.

Do you realize why they only allow beginner track riders to get on 20-25 minutes per session?

Have you ever experience the physical stress that comes with riding at triple digit speed for extended amount of time repeatedly?

Um, experts/intermediate/novice riders all ride for 20 minutes here in California. Some trackdays do 30 minutes sessions while others do no sessions (open sessions).

Quote:
My oponion is never a simple one, I use critical thinking and compare my experience to give an reasonable conclusion.
They may not be what you want to hear but facts are often not pleasing to the ear.

You admited yourself that you are not good at slow speed maneuvers, yet you want to ride fast on the track where majority of traffic is moving fast. Combine that with testosterone and different riding skill levels of multiple riders, the outcome of the combination is someting no one can predict. Sometimes they can be dangerous, more dangerous that you ever imagined maybe.

Old December 31st, 2011, 02:52 AM   #102
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
This post right here reeks of FEAR!

To those rea.....blah blah
Perhaps you should put the person your post is about on your ignore list? Less chance of going so far off topic and into personal issues maybe?

Track bike only or no? Miss it or no? Discuss.

Old December 31st, 2011, 09:57 AM   #103
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Perhaps you should put the person your post is about on your ignore list? Less chance of going so far off topic and into personal issues maybe?

Track bike only or no? Miss it or no? Discuss.
Perhaps you fail to understand that my post is in regards to "track bike only or no", or rather why one would go all track and not miss the streets. Kinda have to read in between the lines but no blame to the noob.

Old December 31st, 2011, 08:02 PM   #104
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

To help get this thread on topic i will talk about my experience with both street and track riding and why i will continue to ride street.

The track :

Going to the track is an amazing experience and every rider should go at least once. It is the only place to test your limits and the bikes limits. Every thing about the track makes it fun. Prepping everything the night before with the guys is fun, its like the night before Christmas, Talk **** eat talk about bikes fun times. The people at the track are some of the nicest people you will meet. Think about the people you meet riding around on the streets your local riding place and up the motorcycle obsession factor by 12. People willing to help with bikes and with tips for riding better. The brotherhood of bikers and comrade at the track is something everyone should experience. The riding is as epic as it could be. The only Limitation at the track is you. If you are with a good ORG you will be safe and looked after. The corner workers and control riders keep everyone in check, As a new rider running in the novice group you do not have to worry about close passes or out of control riders, the jerks will be black flagged and bounced. If a person is looking unsafe and unsure and all over the place the control riders jump in and take will take you around the track for a few laps helping you with lines and picking up your speed. 99% of the riders know its a track day and not a race day and act as such. You learn so much about how to handle your motorcycle. Do not be scared to go, i was and it was a mistake to be.

Street riding
I continue to ride street and will continue to do so. I love riding the mountain and coastal roads. Living in California there is so much beauty around us to explore and enjoy and for me the best way to do that is on two wheels. I DO NOT try to get my thrill in, Spirited riding sure, but not anything like i do at the track. I never was this kind of street rider and i never will be. To not be able to enjoy a good Saturday afternoon riding around on the bike would kill me. Some people may not be able to ride with out seeking the "Thrill" aspect and that is ok if it works for them. For me i can and will. Hell even just running around doing errands on the bike makes it better.

The most dangerous part of street riding for me is commuting. So many cars during the commute, all in a hurry either before work or on the way home. It where a seasoned street rider will shine. This type of riding takes a different set of skills then track riding. More clutch work, dragging the back brakes, quick fast decisions with no set up time. The only way to learn that skill set is time and experience. I have been riding full time street for a year and a half now (17k miles bikes 3k miles in my truck) and every day i see some idiot do something new that blows my mind.

Trying to argue which is best seems kind of silly. People ride for different reasons. I thought when i started again i would be a knee dragging canyon carver and i hated that. Sport touring turned out to be what i liked to do. I never thought i would go to a track and ride yet next thing i know i am dragging knee around buttonwillow (Awesome experience when you first get that knee down and you did it the right way!). The only person that can tell you 100% is YOU.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2011, 09:29 PM   #105
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

That's a great response Jeff
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2012, 11:25 AM   #106
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Used to only trackride after my addiction started. Now I do both. But given a choice I would track it every time.
No better teacher than the racetrack.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2012, 12:28 PM   #107
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Have been riding street less and less. We've had a pretty tough year in South Florida with the fallen riders. 3 fatals in 2 weeks on the same spot. 3 or 4 hit "kill" and runs. A couple of guys they just found on the side of the road, and about a week ago one of the regular track guys hit a guard rail and lost both his legs

I definitely DO NOT ride on the highway anytime other 1 - 4 am.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #108
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Sorry to bump an old thread but I started this thread 9 months ago. I thought it would be fun to come back and write a follow up...

I DID go track only.
I cancelled my registration, my insurance. Took off all my street stuff off and got race fairings.

Since the time I posted this thread, I've been on 9 more track days.
I crashed on my 4th, got back up, repaired it and kept going.

Did I save money? No. Not that it was ever the mission.

Did I have a blast and learn a lot? Heck yes.

Do I miss street riding? Heck no. It gets REALLY hard when I don't go for a month (like after my crash I didn't go for a month and a half cause of repair costs). But I've set up a schedule back then and followed it religiously.

So all in all I'm extremely happy with my decision. To each his own ofcourse.

I might still get a street bike in the future. But I don't know if it would be a daily commuter. Infact I might give in and turn that into pure track bike too
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #109
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I feel you Gurk.. Slammed about 10 track days in myself this season with 2 more days to go in Sept. Between days 6-9 (about 2 months), my bike never saw the outside of the garage and I didn't even have the urge to tear the tape off the lights and such. You can definitely get your riding fix from the track by it sure does do a number on the wallet aye....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2012, 04:31 AM   #110
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I definately can't go track only. I think having a dedicated track bike is a great idea, I just can't get to the track but once every two months or so due to financial reasons (less if I bin it) and I really have to have a weekly ride even if it is only for an hour or so.

I will say that the more track time you spend, the less you think going fast on the street is a good idea or even cool at all.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote