ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old December 6th, 2012, 09:37 PM   #41
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Aren't filtering and splitting the same thing?
It is, but for a moment the discussion turned towards whether lane splitting is a gift of God or a trap set by the devil, rather than the "how to" I intended it to be
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #42
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
I've spent a lot of time riding in LA (my job is in Santa Monica), and at first lane splitting/filtering scared the living beejezus out of me. Now I do it pretty regularly. Here's my approaches, such as they are:
1. Have plenty of room. Okay, you're lane splitting sure -- but if car on the left is hugging right and vice versa then just come to a stop behind them and wait (or 'change lanes' to the next row over if safe); don't push your way through.
2. Only do it when reasonable. I've seen people split to go 65 in 55 traffic -- at these higher speeds it's more likely unexpected 'holes' will open up with unexpected lane changes. My basic rule is I won't do anything if general traffic is above somewhere between 35-45; often less.
3. Be extremely careful when 'merging' into a lane split -- never seen or heard of it happening, but I can imagine pulling in front of another bike lane splitting and bad things (tm) happening.
4. If you're filtering up to a light and it turns green... stay in the lane split and move forward with traffic/at the same rate you were heading. Usually a car to one side or the other will actually back off and let you in; otherwise you can just stay in the split to the next light.

I actually feel 'safest' when splitting/filtering, as strange as it is (Well, except for riding 'traffic free'). Car on either side means it is very unlikely either will do an unexpected lane change into you nor is it likely you'll get rear ended waiting at the light.
Great stuff Yakaru, thanks!

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #43
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
I see them as different.

Filtering - Moving to the front during a stop, such as a light, then merging back when able to move again
Splitting - Riding between lanes at any time

The main difference to me is, are the cars ahead of me at a complete stop or not.

Some good stuff in this thread.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #44
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
3. Be extremely careful when 'merging' into a lane split -- never seen or heard of it happening, but I can imagine pulling in front of another bike lane splitting and bad things (tm) happening.

I have had several people do it to me, and I'm ashamed to say I have done it once. No damage any of the times.... Just some clenched Butt cheeks and racing hearts. Probably around 10 times but I don't keep count. People can't drive round here

Old December 7th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #45
2012Rider
Waiting for Jiggles

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VulZ0...ature=youtu.be
This is how I do it, however this is probably like my third time ever doing it.
Also is there any way I can direct link the video to be played on this post, or does it always have to be link to video.
2012Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #46
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Man, wish I had a helmet camera today -- each and every 'rule' I went over had an example occur except for the bike-already-in-lane. Maybe if I get one for Christmas I can put up a youtube video with my own personal hints and tricks (and then get comments declaring I'm a.) horrible at it and b.) horrible for doing it).
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #47
beazy411
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Alright I'm back! Here ya go, enjoy!

Link to original page on YouTube.

That poor dude on the scooter had no chance at all. The offending driver not only didn't see him, but also the car in front as well. This is actually one of the few things that I am scared of while on the bike. When I'm in the truck, I don't really care since there is alot of metal between me and them (and my hitch which stays installed).
beazy411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #48
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
Well **** you shouldn't ever leave the house either, you could be hit by lightning or a rabid dog might attack you.
@Jiggles
Or some dumb a$$ girl could turn in front of you and break your leg.

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #49
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

FWIW, I dont filter up at stop lights. I sit in traffic like the rest of the cagers and I think they notice.... well they'd sure notice if they thought I was "cutting" in line or working my way to the front. I've even sat in traffic in the rain getting wet when I could have run ahead down the side of the road. My thinking is that I'll earn some "cager cred" by acting like every other vehicle on the road.

I try so hard not to do things that might anger the cagers that I feel awkward about pulling through a redlight that won't change. I know I'm permitted to do this by law, but most cagers don't know that. (there's a printed copy of the red light running law under my seat just in case some good old boy cop tags me)

I feel it's my mission to show the regular folks that not all people on sport bikes do wheelies at 80mph while lane splitting.

That said, be smart when you stop at a red light an always leave an escape path, even if that means pointing the bike a little diagonally as you come to a stop.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 7th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #50
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
not much traffic in sumter SC i'm guessing?

Old December 7th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #51
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
FWIW, I dont filter up at stop lights. I sit in traffic like the rest of the cagers and I think they notice.... well they'd sure notice if they thought I was "cutting" in line or working my way to the front. I've even sat in traffic in the rain getting wet when I could have run ahead down the side of the road. My thinking is that I'll earn some "cager cred" by acting like every other vehicle on the road.

I try so hard not to do things that might anger the cagers that I feel awkward about pulling through a redlight that won't change. I know I'm permitted to do this by law, but most cagers don't know that. (there's a printed copy of the red light running law under my seat just in case some good old boy cop tags me)

I feel it's my mission to show the regular folks that not all people on sport bikes do wheelies at 80mph while lane splitting.

That said, be smart when you stop at a red light an always leave an escape path, even if that means pointing the bike a little diagonally as you come to a stop.
Just to be clear, I am in SoCal where it is a) legal, b) very common practice and c) dare I say accepted and almost expected by cagers. I know that when I am in the car, I always expect a bike to filter thru and that was even before I started riding.

Also, it is certainly not only the sportbikes that filter. Case in point, I just came back from a quick 20 miles ride; was stopped at a light but not comfortable filtering as I noticed a Porsche and a M3 at the front of the line and did not want to chance that they have a "thing" going. So I sit in #3 spot and a Harley rider comes thru and splits the cars.

Old December 7th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #52
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
here's what annoys me:

the people who are whole-heartedly against lane splitting saying that its dangerous ... don't have any experience lane splitting.

how do they know what is dangerous about it? seems like assumption to me. most of the world lane splits safely without incident every minute of every day and everyone around them thinks nothing about it. hell it makes traffic lighter than if bikes didn't split. so what's the problem. if you are at a mcdonalds, you dont walk up to the drive through and stand in line with cars because those angry car drivers might get mad at you for taking less time than them. so what is the difference?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #53
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
not much traffic in sumter SC i'm guessing?
Yep! You should try it some time! There isn't much traffic at 5:30 am on the way to work.

Old December 7th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #54
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
On the east coast people are just nuts. If you lane split. They will get all pissed off like you cheated or stole something from them. Its like you butted in line and now they want to kill you.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #55
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

That's just sad. As if there aren't enough things to get mad about already; bike goes where I can't go with 4 wheels? How dare you Ima run you down!

Around here lane splitting and filtering are such a thing that I started noticing freeway signs that show scrolling word messages with "share the road, watch for motorcycles" a while back.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #56
Ryephile
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 :: Pearl White

Some great advice here. It seems the best advice is to only split when cars are running side-by-side and away from any intersection so they're less likely to lane-lunge and also unable to react to getting pissed that you "took cuts". It's a war zone out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
On the east coast people are just nuts. If you lane split. They will get all pissed off like you cheated or stole something from them. Its like you butted in line and now they want to kill you.
No doubt.
Ryephile is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #57
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
You're being very assumptions on my opinion, and to label an entire group of people such as car drivers into the "ignorant" bin is indicative of narrow vision on a subject that is perhaps more multi-faceted than you'll give credence to, so you reject and mock opposition to perpetuate the ego, place pathetic words in peoples mouths and resort to mockery.

But while we're at it, it also seems your understanding of a novel spans little over the belief that they are typically long, however I would tend to agree with you as novels are generally fictitious.

It's unquestionable that lane splitting is dangerous, as you are not in control of the situation, you are at the mercy of the car drivers that are all in a position to hit you, you're coming at them from behind, they're not looking out for you and they "dependent on location where lane splitting is practised" are not expecting you. But it's a trade off, if you accept that their is more risk and it's work it to you than by all means go for it, you have made an informed choice, well done.

Can someone please tell me it's safer than sitting in traffic now? I need a laugh.
Although I don't agree with your assessment, I thought your post was well worded and intelligent.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #58
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if my understanding of the 'oppositions argument' is correct, it is that it is illegal to lane split because cars aren't used to it because it's illegal.

Old December 10th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #59
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

My 2 pennies worth

Like Josh when I rode in the UK I didn't lane split it was illegal then but I was also lucky to ride in smaller towns where there was minimal traffic most of the time so not really an issue.

But here however is a different story if you are trying to navigate your way round Bangkok its the only way to get through, It is also very much expected by car drivers that there will be motorcyclists trying to get to the front at lights ,even the worst drivers (Taxi drivers) will even try to move a little to allow you through to save his mirrors.
Also it is law that if a car hits a motorcycle here its the cars fault until proven otherwise,that said never take for granted coz that would be plain stupid.

I agree with Alex first long and informative post it is solely your responsibility to make sure you are aware of all possible dangers hidden or otherwise and drive and act accordingly.

Bottom line is what ever you decide be careful and ride safe

Old December 10th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #60
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I have an awesome video that shows all the dangers of lane splitting and how to split correctly, editing now!
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #61
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by loz944 View Post
My 2 pennies worth

Like Josh when I rode in the UK I didn't lane split it was illegal then but I was also lucky to ride in smaller towns where there was minimal traffic most of the time so not really an issue
What party of the UK were you in?

It's legal in England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland, always has been. I think the IoM allow it (would be weird for somewhere with a tourist industry that relies on bikers to specifically ban it, but allow the TT & GP)
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #62
Z300
Ninja noobie

Name: NOOBIE

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Quote:
I have an awesome video that shows all the dangers of lane splitting and how to split correctly, editing now!
In SUPER SLOW MO! I hope
Z300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #63
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:

That's sort of the case here. It's illegal but it's the attitude that drivers have towards bikers. Easier to just chill in line, play tunes in my head, rev the engine for little kids in back seats etc.

If you stop like people are taught in class, you won't be hit from behind - angle, spacing, to the correct side and scanning rear view while stopped, keep it in gear and use your escape route - the one that you already figured out before you stopped. Tap your brakes when it's really busy, a flashing light helps when those texters only look up once in a while. If you're an ego sort of person, then it's a good time to show off how beautiful your bike is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Yep. It will never be legal here. Too polite. Courtesy dictates that everyone take turns and everyone plays fair. We already have ALL the advantages of speed, acceleration and agility so no need to rub it in the cagers nose.

And where I live, people just seem to open their doors any ol time to fix their jacket, change drivers whatever and no one would ever expect someone to appear there. I'd be doored on the first lane split.

Nah, better for some of us to just chill and enjoy the ride. A driver that sees you once very clearly is less likely to forget that you're there.

Ride safe
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #64
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Split it up and split it out

AFM #676

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #65
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old December 11th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #66
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Split it up and split it out

Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy, but even at my age / experience, if I were the cager, you'd startle the snot out of me splitting by at 55. I'd rather take the extra time than not make it home 'cuz some cager drifted into me while he was txting. I can kinda see the point of splitting at red lights or when traffic is stopped (or like 5mph), but at a workable road speed, it just seems to be looking for trouble.

To each his own.

Hey, that slo-mo effect was great... slow motion during that 34mph lane split was perfect, I might have missed it if you hadn't slowed it down for me! <ducking>

Old December 11th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #67
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy, but even at my age / experience, if I were the cager, you'd startle the snot out of me splitting by at 55. I'd rather take the extra time than not make it home 'cuz some cager drifted into me while he was txting. I can kinda see the point of splitting at red lights or when traffic is stopped (or like 5mph), but at a workable road speed, it just seems to be looking for trouble.

To each his own.

Hey, that slo-mo effect was great... slow motion during that 34mph lane split was perfect, I might have missed it if you hadn't slowed it down for me! <ducking>
Cagers around here are quite used to it and you learn to read a cages demeanor when you are splitting. You can see the cages that are distracted and generally it's best not to split past them. I'm also not zipping by these guys at high speed with a loud bike. When that happens to me whether I'm in a car or on a bike it does startle me. Stupid gixxer going down the highway at 14k rpms with his gay ass yoshi pipe, **** that guy he is a dick.

And the normal speeds of these highways are 80+ I used to split at 90 on my 250 but I don't really do that anymore
AFM #676

Old December 12th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #68
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMagnum View Post
While I appreciate the general discussion on whether lane splitting is a good thing, can we please focus his thread on the questions in my original post?

Thanks guys!
One of your questions was what to do when traffic starts moving again, and at that point, the discussion of lane splitting becomes relevant.
Quote:
Filtering is moving between two rows, or on the outside, of stopped traffic.

Splitting is moving between any traffic, so technically, it includes filtering, but generally when someone talks about splitting it is in reference to moving between lanes of moving traffic.

OCmagnum, I need to get to work right now, but I'll try to post my answers to your questions when I get home.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #69
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
not an "old fuddy duddy", just completely inexperienced in an area of riding the rest of the world is comfortable with and uses every day. it's ok, we can't all be skilled in everything.

not to beat a dead horse but i'm tired of reading about how im putting my life in danger by splitting... spoken by someone who has no experience splitting and who lives in an area where the activity is banned. yeah, makes perfect sense.

it reminds me of another segment of people who frequently inform me how i'm "going to die" simply because i ride a motorcycle... people who think motorcycles == death are practicing the same illogical behavior you are. ignorance + assumption == 'urgonnadie!' ... in other words, subject does not understand the skills and assumes it operates by 'luck' and therefore assumes that 'luck' is going to run out.

Old December 12th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #70
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
One of your questions was what to do when traffic starts moving again, and at that point, the discussion of lane splitting becomes relevant.
Thanks; no argument there. I meant to refocus the discussion on the technical aspects of how to do it, rather than:

Poster A: You know you should never lanesplit, it is evil!
Poster B: You are just too much of a girl to lane split!
Poster A: Am not!
Poster B: Are too!
Poster A: You are an idiot!
Poster B: Well then you are a girly idiot!
WWIII is launched.....

Obviously an over-exaggeration, but you get the point.....

Old December 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #71
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I lane split. I've done it for 20,000 miles. It's dangerous if you are not paying attention. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous if you are not paying attention. Slicing ham is dangerous if you are not paying attention.

Either you accept the risk and learn how to read traffic, or you sit in line with everyone else. If it's not legal, don't do it. If it's legal, you have the choice. Preaching that it's a life threatening activity to a group that rides on two wheels is like telling the gang task force that they have a dangerous job.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:02 PM   #72
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Thanks; no argument there. I meant to refocus the discussion on the technical aspects of how to do it, rather than:

Poster A: You know you should never lanesplit, it is evil!
Poster B: You are just too much of a girl to lane split!
Poster A: Am not!
Poster B: Are too!
Poster A: You are an idiot!
Poster B: Well then you are a girly idiot!
WWIII is launched.....

Obviously an over-exaggeration, but you get the point.....
Maybe they were concerned that your question implied certain things and they wanted to offer their advice, experience and expertise. Don't be offended, it's a discussion forum.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2012, 06:52 AM   #73
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
Maybe they were concerned that your question implied certain things and they wanted to offer their advice, experience and expertise. Don't be offended, it's a discussion forum.
Not offended at all, just prefer to have the discussion stayed focused.

Old December 13th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #74
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Not offended at all, just prefer to have the discussion stayed focused.
You're not going to find that on an internet forum. You're lucky this has stayed somewhat on topic so far. Haha.

There's no real technique to lane splitting. Like Alex has said, it's situational. When you lane split, you have the responsibility to react to what comes your way. You need to learn how to read traffic and what drivers will do. That will be the defining factor if you survive lane splitting or not. Being able to maneuver your bike is only something you can figure out on your own. If you have your M1, you shouldn't have any problems with skills to lane split. The question is, are you mentally capable of doing it without freaking out and causing an accident or being a victim?

Old December 13th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #75
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
maybe a better approach would be to have everyone who lane splits offer close call stories and what they did wrong...

when i was new to splitting one time about 2.5 years ago i think, i was splitting and i wanted to make a lane change to the right and get out of the split area (my exit was coming up) so i came up to a gap of cars.
i came up with my signal doing maybe +5 on the brakes slowing into the gap, quickly turned my head to make sure there wasn't a car merging into the same spot from the other side... turn my head back and see both lanes stopped suddenly. i had maybe 6 feet to drop 15mph... probably not going to happen, so i cranked the bars as hard as i could to the left then just as quickly to the right and jumped across the lane into between 2&3 almost hitting the guy in front and getting rear ended at the same time... somehow i managed to swing the bike over and get it back up in time and split the gap without incident but it sure scared the hell out of me.

outside of being grateful to the MSF for that quick-weave lesson, it taught me a lot about vision and what is important and what isn't important. why did i turn my head? i knew where the two important cars to my right were but i didn't know what was to the right of the car behind. but guess what that doesn't matter in this situation. knowing that it doesn't matter means you can ignore it for a second if you have to. in traffic if you are moving forward, you need your attention forward. circumstances change instantly and if you aren't looking forward to see that, you won't respond to it and you'll smash into something. so how do you change lanes without looking? turning your head 45d to the side is good, you can see forward and to the side a bit, but don't take away your forward view. what i do is i try to identify where i want to change ahead of time, when you can see the entire traffic situation around where you are going to change lanes while you are still looking forward... thats the key point, looking forward and extrapolating. always assume if there is a gap with a car next to it that can fit, they are going to want to take that gap. what took me awhile to understand is how tiny you are on a bike... if someone wants to surprise you and change lanes from the far right into the lane you are going into... who cares? you should be going sideways very slowly and cautiously and as they come over you will see them and you can react accordingly... i can't come close to count how many times ignorant cars have forced me out of lanes but like i said it doesn't matter because you are tiny and you are already splitting. just take a different exit. as you are going down, if you are going the right speed there is usually 3 or 4 different possible exits to a confrontation with a car. knowing where they are at all times is your best defense. don't let yourself get into the situation where someone can run into you. what i mean by that is dont make it easy... if someone is going to do something stupid and take out a bunch of cars in the process there isn't a whole lot you can do to prevent that outside of good driving trying to get out of it. but most of the time people wont change lanes into another car. they change lanes into gaps. they go into the faster lane. people hate being stopped. if someone quickchanges into you, chances are you wont respond in time... you'll get hit and depending on how hard/fast the bike will either instantly fall and go under the car or you'll bounce off... its important that if you bounce off, you control the bike. don't let something bad turn into something worse. if you are still on the bike, you haven't finished crashing so don't crash into something else. its best to just not get in the spot where they will quickchange. its obvious to see. eyes on the cars around them, actually kinda paying attention... straight back, hands high on the wheel ready to turn. maybe even a hand on the blinker. shifty eyes always looking to the side

i know @Kevin2109 has a good lane splitting story. story time!

Old December 13th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #76
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 1986 Goldwing, 1996 CR500, 2011 Ninja 250, 2009 Harley Heritage Softail, 1941 Suzuki Gerbil 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Slicing ham is dangerous if you are not paying attention.
Quote:
You're not going to find that on an internet forum. You're lucky this has stayed somewhat on topic so far. Haha.
I'd like to explore this ham slicing issue. I'm a skilled ham slicer so I don't see the danger of getting my fingers close to a knife....

Old December 13th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #77
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The question is, are you mentally capable of doing it without freaking out and causing an accident or being a victim?
Bingo, I think you just hit the nail on the head. I have no problem technically filtering, but it can get intimidating in packed traffic when the cars start moving again. Hence my question for best practices what to when the light turns green while you are filtering.

I don' feel ready to split traffic at any substantial speed at this point in my riding career and only filter when I don't see anything that I expect could spook me (e.g. I suspect the two cars in the front to be the Johnny Racer type, etc.).

So I would agree with you that a lot of it is mental confidence level.

Old December 13th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #78
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
maybe a better approach would be to have everyone who lane splits offer close call stories and what they did wrong...

when i was new to splitting one time about 2.5 years ago i think, i was splitting and i wanted to make a lane change to the right and get out of the split area (my exit was coming up) so i came up to a gap of cars.
i came up with my signal doing maybe +5 on the brakes slowing into the gap, quickly turned my head to make sure there wasn't a car merging into the same spot from the other side... turn my head back and see both lanes stopped suddenly. i had maybe 6 feet to drop 15mph... probably not going to happen, so i cranked the bars as hard as i could to the left then just as quickly to the right and jumped across the lane into between 2&3 almost hitting the guy in front and getting rear ended at the same time... somehow i managed to swing the bike over and get it back up in time and split the gap without incident but it sure scared the hell out of me.

outside of being grateful to the MSF for that quick-weave lesson, it taught me a lot about vision and what is important and what isn't important. why did i turn my head? i knew where the two important cars to my right were but i didn't know what was to the right of the car behind. but guess what that doesn't matter in this situation. knowing that it doesn't matter means you can ignore it for a second if you have to. in traffic if you are moving forward, you need your attention forward. circumstances change instantly and if you aren't looking forward to see that, you won't respond to it and you'll smash into something. so how do you change lanes without looking? turning your head 45d to the side is good, you can see forward and to the side a bit, but don't take away your forward view. what i do is i try to identify where i want to change ahead of time, when you can see the entire traffic situation around where you are going to change lanes while you are still looking forward... thats the key point, looking forward and extrapolating. always assume if there is a gap with a car next to it that can fit, they are going to want to take that gap. what took me awhile to understand is how tiny you are on a bike... if someone wants to surprise you and change lanes from the far right into the lane you are going into... who cares? you should be going sideways very slowly and cautiously and as they come over you will see them and you can react accordingly... i can't come close to count how many times ignorant cars have forced me out of lanes but like i said it doesn't matter because you are tiny and you are already splitting. just take a different exit. as you are going down, if you are going the right speed there is usually 3 or 4 different possible exits to a confrontation with a car. knowing where they are at all times is your best defense. don't let yourself get into the situation where someone can run into you. what i mean by that is dont make it easy... if someone is going to do something stupid and take out a bunch of cars in the process there isn't a whole lot you can do to prevent that outside of good driving trying to get out of it. but most of the time people wont change lanes into another car. they change lanes into gaps. they go into the faster lane. people hate being stopped. if someone quickchanges into you, chances are you wont respond in time... you'll get hit and depending on how hard/fast the bike will either instantly fall and go under the car or you'll bounce off... its important that if you bounce off, you control the bike. don't let something bad turn into something worse. if you are still on the bike, you haven't finished crashing so don't crash into something else. its best to just not get in the spot where they will quickchange. its obvious to see. eyes on the cars around them, actually kinda paying attention... straight back, hands high on the wheel ready to turn. maybe even a hand on the blinker. shifty eyes always looking to the side

i know @Kevin2109 has a good lane splitting story. story time!
another awesome post, thanks Alex. Exactly the kind of stuff I am after. And great suggestion to hear stories of close calls as a learning experience.

Thanks for taking the time!

Old December 13th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #79
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
one other thing... just always signal and go into a lane split very slowly... some bikes fly through and if you jump infront of them they will smack right into you... i've seen it before. peek out into the split lane with your mirror first and make sure noone is coming up the center before you gobble it up. don't make assumptions when it comes to other bikes. other bikes are the most danger you can face lane splitting because they are so unpredictable. its best to keep distance from them. don't tailgate another splitter, you are putting both bikes in danger. if you see someone come up behind you, just merge back into a lane and let them pass you. especially those god damn cruisers with ape-hangers splitting... worst splitters ever. i've had two of them throw their bikes at me! (one was even a honda 250 cruiser with ape-hangers... i know)

Old December 13th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #80
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
My close call, I was new to splitting and splitting probably too fast in nearly dead stopped traffic on the freeway. Well one guy decides he is going to change lanes, except traffic isn't moving so he ended up blocking my split. I hit the brakes but wasn't slowing fast enough so I pressed harder and harder and harder until my back end lifted a couple feet in the air and then slammed back down when I finally did stop about 2 feet from his car.

That is how I learned that the ninja 250 can do stoppies with the stock brakes and IRC roadloser tires.
AFM #676