ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old April 1st, 2013, 04:07 PM   #121
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
:facepalm:

The tires need to be changed. Stop posting pics of them in multiple threads, step away from the keyboard, and put on tires that don't look like this:

|..........................................|
\........................................../
.\_________________________/

You've already crashed on them once, and if you're unable to feel why they are performing so poorly, it very possibly won't be the last time.
I know. New rear is going on tomorrow and front will be in on wednesday. Im just posting because I am wondering if it might have contributed to the crash.
SwagenGTI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 04:13 PM   #122
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's certainly possible. Not because the sides aren't broken in, but because the profile is so warped that the bike would feel quite strange at a particular lean angle, to the point of having more limited traction.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 04:23 PM   #123
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Why do you have car tires on your bike?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 05:11 PM   #124
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I don't wanna kick a rider when they're down but how many more f*cking threads before people realize a motorcycle is not a car where you can just sorta start going and learning by yourself? Sure there's people who do it but why take the friggin risk?

Glad you learned your lesson without any serious consequence....

I guess old thread. Consider I said this a month ago.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 05:15 PM   #125
rickthefix
Crashing sux

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 07 EX250, 04 ZX6R, 96 Vulcan EN500, 79 XS650-SF, 80 TS185

Wink

I was really good in practice (did figure 8's like they were nothing) but when we finally got tested, I did poor on everything; still passed but I was the first one to go for each test, did not get to practice much before hand.

Anyways, I have been wondering. Here is my rear tire
"end quote"

The BRC is a means to give you the tools to go practice even more. And the last exercise before skills eval WAS your practice on 3 of the 4 tests.
Most RC's I teach with like to choose one of the most consistent & skilled riders to go first, so take that as a compliment!

And GET NEW TIRES!
rickthefix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 05:17 PM   #126
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Why do you have car tires on your bike?
I guess the previous owner just never rode it properly. He obviously put on a lot of miles; he said he would visit his son (about 3 hours back and forth) in another town so I guess that would explain why just the centers are worn down (high way miles).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthefix View Post
The BRC is a means to give you the tools to go practice even more. And the last exercise before skills eval WAS your practice on 3 of the 4 tests.
Most RC's I teach with like to choose one of the most consistent & skilled riders to go first, so take that as a compliment!

And GET NEW TIRES!
I did fine on the braking part but thats about it. Everyone went too slow around the corner, all but two messed up on the figure 8. I think the pressure of being graded is what got to me, and being first. We practiced the figure 8 a bit before the test but the corner judgement test was practiced the day before :/ Definitely gave me ideas on how to test my self on my own time though so thats a good point.

Old April 8th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #127
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Question, so i dont have to make a new thread. I cleaned my chain last night after riding with wd-40 got it nice and clean. Waited a bit and sprayed some motul chain lube on it; its nice and sticky. let it dry over night and checked it today (havent taken it for a ride yet) and there is black sticky gunk everywhere. Some dripped off the chain onto the floor, but it is all over the sprocket and chain. Maybe I sprayed too much? When I rotate the wheel I can hear it sticking and squishing. Is it supposed to be like this or do I need to clean it off and spray again and somehow do something different?

Old April 8th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #128
pomartin
ninjette.org member

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (FI)

never clean chain with wd40.
Use something else
pomartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2013, 04:24 AM   #129
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

I think you applied too much lube, and it absorbed a bunch of the old grease that was on the chain.

Clean it off with kerosene, then atf then apply a light coat of chain lube. Any extra will "fly off", so there's no need or advantage to overapply it.

Old April 9th, 2013, 04:58 AM   #130
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwagenGTI View Post
Question, so i dont have to make a new thread. I cleaned my chain last night after riding with wd-40 got it nice and clean. Waited a bit and sprayed some motul chain lube on it; its nice and sticky. let it dry over night and checked it today (havent taken it for a ride yet) and there is black sticky gunk everywhere. Some dripped off the chain onto the floor, but it is all over the sprocket and chain. Maybe I sprayed too much? When I rotate the wheel I can hear it sticking and squishing. Is it supposed to be like this or do I need to clean it off and spray again and somehow do something different?
If you solve that problem, get a patent and sell it. Maybe you put a bit much on there but those guys have been trying to make an anti-drip/fling version of chain lube like... forever. Also, better to have to much than to little, have a nice little ride then come back and clean up the messy areas. Cleaning up dirty rears is part of owning a bike, just like changing dirty diapers on babies.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #131
Red250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Glad you're okay as well. I did almost the exact same thing. About 3-4 months after buying mine i panicked and grabbed the front brake too hard. Was only going about 15-20mph. Ended up scraping up the right side, losing the blinker, and snapping the rear brake bracket in two. Bike started up fine but i was pissed. Now I'm on my 6th summer with the bike. Haven't even had a close call since. Learn from your own mistakes. One of the best ways to learn unfortunately. Right next to learning from other peoples mistakes. And yes i just noticed this thread lol
Red250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #132
ninja_thresh_hold
ninjette.org *********

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (忍者 250r; sold!) 2001 zx6r

Another tip, since your a new rider: if some cager decides to slam on their brakes in front of you, DO NOT slam on your foot brake lol( yes, I did this, and it was my first(and hopefully last wreck of mine lol ) it made my rear end swing out from under me and did about 4-500$ in damage lol

Old April 9th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #133
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
If you solve that problem, get a patent and sell it. Maybe you put a bit much on there but those guys have been trying to make an anti-drip/fling version of chain lube like... forever. Also, better to have to much than to little, have a nice little ride then come back and clean up the messy areas. Cleaning up dirty rears is part of owning a bike, just like changing dirty diapers on babies.
ok so the black stuff is normal then? I just cleaned everything off with kerosene this time and resprayed, aiming for mostly just the o-rings. Hopefully its enough, but not too much

Old April 9th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #134
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yea, it's normal if you like to use a lot of lube. (queue up the jokes on that one, hahahahha)

I am not sure what brand your using but I get this stuff.

I can be generous and not have to deal with too much cleanup after the ride.

Hmmm... o ring chains are sealed when in good shape. Your not really lubing the chain to oil the links, your really extending the life of the chain via a protective layer against the elements. Preventing rust and so on.... So only put enough on to coat it, any more than that just ends up on your wheels. lol
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #135
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

I am using motul chain lube