ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 14th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #1
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

How long does the exhaust end can usually last?

I have noticed that the cap on the rear of exhaust system on my 2012 250R has started to gain visible rust. I loosened the 5 screws holding it in place and
took a look underneath. I could see rust more or less all over the end of the
end can that had been hidden under the cap.
The bike was bought spring 2012 and has about 20000 miles (32000 km) on the odometer. I guess it's hard to prevent the rust when it's already there, though I will soak it in WD-40 ..
Anyone that knows how long the stock end can usually last? I live close to Trondheim on the norwegian cost, probably having a climate closer to New York than southern California, to give an indication..
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2015, 08:33 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Time will vary on usage, maintenance, storage and the amount of TLC given.

If you live near the coast or in an area where much salt is used to treat roads, then it will rust unless you're OCD about keeping it washed and waxed. I figure most riders do not wash their bike after every ride and keep it garaged to protect it from the elements. So goes the need to buy more chrome.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2015, 09:21 AM   #3
Norway
ninjette.org member

Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Time will vary on usage, maintenance, storage and the amount of TLC given.

If you live near the coast or in an area where much salt is used to treat roads, then it will rust unless you're OCD about keeping it washed and waxed. I figure most riders do not wash their bike after every ride and keep it garaged to protect it from the elements. So goes the need to buy more chrome.
I haven't washed it every week, but almost, I guess. When that is said, I used it more than 6 months a year, and sometimes on roads that were salted.
I also used it for my daily commute in temperatures down to 1-2 degrees C
(just above the freezing point of water). No wonder the exhaust system corrodes.
weather conditions: http://www.yr.no/place/Norway/Sør-Tr...tatistics.html

Old July 14th, 2015, 10:47 AM   #4
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Mine has a good deal of rust but I crashed on that side and it acted like a slider so when I rode through winter with all the salt on the roads it started rusting. I never really cared since it's an unimportant piece to me and I intend to replace it down the road anyway. Just make sure everything important is rust free though

things should rust at around the same rate as cars in the same area, maybe a tad quicker

Old July 14th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway View Post
........... Anyone that knows how long the stock end can usually last? I live close to Trondheim on the norwegian cost, probably having a climate closer to New York than southern California, to give an indication..
Every time that you start your engine, water vapor generated by the combustion condensates over the cold parts such like the end cap.
If the trips are short enough for the exhaust pipe not to reach normal operation temperature, that condensed water remains inside the pipe.

Any steel that is not covered by galvanized or paint or chrome does quickly oxidize in presence of water.
The edges of the cap are good candidates because are normally uncovered by paint or zinc (galvanized).

Try to find a rust remover that is available in your country and apply it over the rusted areas.
This chemical transforms rust into a black protective coat.
WD-40 will only remove water temporarily.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2015, 03:04 AM   #6
Norway
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Every time that you start your engine, water vapor generated by the combustion condensates over the cold parts such like the end cap.
If the trips are short enough for the exhaust pipe not to reach normal operation temperature, that condensed water remains inside the pipe.

Any steel that is not covered by galvanized or paint or chrome does quickly oxidize in presence of water.
The edges of the cap are good candidates because are normally uncovered by paint or zinc (galvanized).

Try to find a rust remover that is available in your country and apply it over the rusted areas.
This chemical transforms rust into a black protective coat.
WD-40 will only remove water temporarily.
Thanks for the advice.

The vast majority of my trips were 40 km, or about 25 miles, since the bike
is used for commuting. They take around 40 minutes, typically.
I applied some tectyl rust prevention ( http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/tectyl ) but may try some rust remover instead, as you suggest. Maybe I should wait for a while, since
the mixture of WD 40 and Tectyl might disturb the useful properties of the rust remover.

I would off course expect the original exhaust to rust, but I'm surprised that it
has happened this fast. I could see signs of rust on the end cap, but after loosening the 5 screws, I found the part of the silencer hidden under it, in a
seemingly much worse condition.