ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 6th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #1
slow_2k10
ninjette.org member

Name: martin

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

which size needle goes where?

ok so i shimmed my needles again and well this time i didnt keep track of which needle came form which cylinder

my question is ...does the longer needle go in left cylinder or in the right cylinder

lleft being the one on clutch side and right on brake side

bike runs fine i just want to make sure i did it right
slow_2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #2
kkim

I think they are the same length, but have different tapers. they part number is lightly engraved on the needles themselves.

as for which needle goes into which carb....
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9467
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #3
slow_2k10
ninjette.org member

thanks kelly you sir are a savior i pulled one needle today to confirm that it was the right part number for that side..and...............TIS WAS RIGHT!

lol

Old September 7th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
This brings up another question for the carb guru's along the same lines as the topic question.

Stock the carbs come with needles tapered differently for each carb. Do you recommend having both needles of the same taper or is the engine designed for this?

Thanks in advance.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #5
kkim

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe there were others that installed the needles reversed and the bike ran like crap when they started it up. Can't say for sure though as when they went to switch the needles, they may have done something else to correct a mistake that was really causing their problem.

That your bike was running nice and smooth should have been indication that you had things correct. Glad you took the time to check and have peace of mind.

btw, how do you like the result of shimming?

Old September 7th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #6
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
This brings up another question for the carb guru's along the same lines as the topic question.

Stock the carbs come with needles tapered differently for each carb. Do you recommend having both needles of the same taper or is the engine designed for this?

Thanks in advance.
Rick,

I think the pregens have matching needles, unlike the newgens. I think it has something to do w/ emissions control that the factory needed to do to hit a target level which was one of the (major?) factors that prompted the redesign of the bike. Keep in mind the two carbs in the newgen are identical except for those needles and the mixture screw settings.

while matching needles may be desirable, if you're going to go through all that trouble (you'll need to buy a needle... which one??, switch it in, readjust the mixture screws), IMHO you would be better off installing aftermarket needles from one of the aftermarket jet kit companies which would afford you proven R&D that they have done, plus an easy, wider range of adjustability through the clip grooves in them.

Old September 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Thanks KKim. Great explanation.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #8
slow_2k10
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post

Thanks in advance.

i have good knowledge on the carb needles they have different tapers but are componsated by different mixture adjustments, hence the reason for when u get aftermarket needles u need to mess a good amount with the mixture screws because they werent equal to begin with much less setup for tyhe new needles