ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old August 26th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #1
jmisto
ninjette.org member

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

To Lower or Not to Lower, that is the question.

I've ordered adjustable lowering links but they're coming from Singapore so I've had plenty of time to ride before they actually arrive. I've gone back and forth between lowering the bike. I've bought some nice boots which have added a little height and I can ALMOST flat foot the bike with them on. I also got a Corbin seat which seems to sit a bit lower.

However, we live in a hilly area and every 'almost-mishap' I've had has been due to me not being able to touch the ground easily.
I think 1 inch would make a world of difference for me. How much will that affect the handling? Would I even notice it being a new rider? My husband would slowly and semi-secretly put it back to stock height as I get more confidence.

I'm 5'3 with a 27.5 in inseam.

Sorry, I think I posted in the wrong category. Please move if necessary!
jmisto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #2
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I don't see any harm in lowering the bike. As a new rider, I doubt you are scraping pegs anyway. Once you gain more confidence you can always set the height back to stock if you want.

After three years and 15k miles I still find myself putting both feet on the ground sometimes at stops.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's a preference. Lowering it an inch might be just the right amount to add confidence without affecting ground clearance too much. It gets bad when folks get overboard, lowering the rear 2 inches or even more, and soon the tire rubs up against the undertail, causing some surprising damage if it rubs through. If you do lower it at all, consider upping the preload just a bit on the rear shock.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #4
rawbert625
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): the cool ones

I also thought about lowering mine as well but I decided not to. I'm 5'5 with a 29" inseam and I'm on the ball of my feet. I thought it would be an issue but it really isn't.

The only trouble I have is backing up the bike because I can't get enough grip with my feet. However whenever that happens I just hop off my bike and push it like that.
rawbert625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #5
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

why don't leave the bike like it is and lower the seat instead?
http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...-seat-mod.html
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #6
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

My other bike is lowered. Bought it that way. When I did the undertail , I noticed this

So since we don't "give rides" I doubt this will ever happen again. But to be safe, I'm going to try to stiffen the rear end or go back to stock height.
Just something to think about
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #7
jmisto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
why don't leave the bike like it is and lower the seat instead?
http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...-seat-mod.html
The bike has a Corbin seat that sits me quite a bit lower than the stock seat. I'm thinking I'll lower it just a tad and slowly put it back to stock height as I gain confidence. I'm not lowering it by much and I won't have lots of weight on the bike.

Old August 27th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I just don't understand why everyone is soooooo against lowering a bike if the rider is new or simply wants better footing. There is a rider that is a part of my group where the others (with a passion) talked them out of the lowering the bike and guess what.... it was dropped at a stop light 3 days later. They lowered it that weekend. Ugggg.....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #9
jmisto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I just don't understand why everyone is soooooo against lowering a bike if the rider is new or simply wants better footing. There is a rider that is a part of my group where the others (with a passion) talked them out of the lowering the bike and guess what.... it was dropped at a stop light 3 days later. They lowered it that weekend. Ugggg.....
I have a few friends who are dead-set against it but really have no reason other than handling. Like someone said above, it's not like I'm going to be dragging foot pegs as a new rider!

Old August 27th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #10
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i have a 28" inseam and i basically put a little weight on the opposite peg and rear brake so the bike is easier to balance while tip toeing my left foot.

since you live in a hilly area...
i recommend you take this approach since you will have to use the rear brake a lot and wont be able to flat foot.

i'm not against lowering bikes, but don't need it.
its a matter of learning balance.

Old August 27th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #11
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Lower it a little (not too much!!) so you get more comfortable riding and stopping at lights.

When you get to the point that you want more ground clearance and/or you are comfortable stopping with either your toes or just the left foot (right foot still on the rear brake) then you should think about raising it back up to the stock height.

I have mine raised for fun-ness, but I'm lucky enough to have longer legs. I can see why it would be a pain to have short legs.

That said, can you talk to corbin and send the seat to have it modified to be even shorter? If every little bit helps, that might be something to look into
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #12
NinjetteNewfie
ninjette.org member

Name: Melissa

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

I'm also 5'3 and used a Vortex link in my first 250, as I moved up from a 125 and was sketchy on how confident I would be on the "bigger" 250. That bike was wrote off after only five months (crazy cager) so when I got my current 250 I didn't bother with the link as I had the confidence of being able to handle the bike at stop lights etc.

The only trouble I have is backing up the bike because I can't get enough grip with my feet. However whenever that happens I just hop off my bike and push it like that.[/QUOTE]

Ditto

Old August 27th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #13
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

There is nothing wrong with lowering the bike... and as long as you don't go overboard it will not be noticeable in the performance, especially as noted... for a beginner who is not going to be cornerning hard to begin with.
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #14
Timr
needs a bigger shed

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2x2009 ninja 250's, 1x2011 250 ninja, 1x1990 yamaha fzr 250 1x2006 yamaha R6 1x atomic quad, 1xZZR250

also remember when you put lowering links on its a good idea to lower the front (raise the forks through the tripple clamps) as well otherwise it will affect the balance and handeling a lot, but that might be a bit of a problem without some clip ons. but as long as its done right there isnt any problem with lowering a bike and if you started to get close to scraping pegs there is always adjustable rearsets for that.
Timr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #15
jmisto
ninjette.org member

So my links came in today and I lowered it about 1 inch. I love it when I'm stopped or when I'm starting off but the ride seems spongy and bouncy now. I also feel like I have to get reacquainted with leans because I feel like I'm going to tip over in the turns. It's nothing I can't live with, and maybe I'll get used to it. I only rode for 15 miles or so.

If I still hate it in 2 weeks, I'm going back stock.

Old August 27th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Are you sure you got everything installed and properly torqued to spec? Not to be insulting, just checking.

Old August 27th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #17
jmisto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Are you sure you got everything installed and properly torqued to spec? Not to be insulting, just checking.
Not insulted but yes. Everything is correct.

Old August 27th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #18
Timr
needs a bigger shed

Motorcycle(s): 2x2009 ninja 250's, 1x2011 250 ninja, 1x1990 yamaha fzr 250 1x2006 yamaha R6 1x atomic quad, 1xZZR250

did you adjust the front? thats prety much how you would expect iy to react otherwise and the front will feel like it about to slide out on you when playing in the corners

Old August 27th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #19
jmisto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timr View Post
did you adjust the front? thats prety much how you would expect iy to react otherwise and the front will feel like it about to slide out on you when playing in the corners
I can't do this without clip-on handlebars though, right? Sorry I'm being a stupid girl; but I'm not VERY mechanically inclined. If that is the case, I'm just going to go back to stock if I don't get used to it. I'm going to tighten up the spring a bit more and maybe raise it a tiny bit.

I'm going to give it some time. I like the handlebars where they are.. in fact, I've got some clip-ons listed on Ebay that I hated.

Old August 27th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #20
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmisto View Post
I can't do this without clip-on handlebars though, right? Sorry I'm being a stupid girl; but I'm not VERY mechanically inclined. If that is the case, I'm just going to go back to stock if I don't get used to it. I'm going to tighten up the spring a bit more and maybe raise it a tiny bit.

I'm going to give it some time. I like the handlebars where they are.. in fact, I've got some clip-ons listed on Ebay that I hated.
You can use stock handlebars, you just have to place an insert under them to compensate for more fork coming up over upper triple after lowering.
An example.
I think it might be a good idea to do this to keep the handling as close to normal as possible. But the handlebars will be higher relative to the seat.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #21
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Jessica, when you change your suspension geometry go in little steps, don't do to many at once, 1 inch was way to much for the first time.
Here you have a good description about what's happening when you change it: http://www.wilbers.de/en/fahrwerksgeometrie.php

Good luck for you and have a safe ride.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #22
Timr
needs a bigger shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
You can use stock handlebars, you just have to place an insert under them to compensate for more fork coming up over upper triple after lowering.
An example.
I think it might be a good idea to do this to keep the handling as close to normal as possible. But the handlebars will be higher relative to the seat.
+1 this is probably the best way to keep it feeling as "normal" as possible but if you go this route make sure you get some longer bolts because the last thing you want is them not having enough purchase and a bar coming loose.
also be carfull to check all your wireing, brake and clutch lines ect are not stretched as this can be a problem as well when moving the handel bar further away from stock position.
sorry, not trying to turn you off doing stuff, just making sure you can do if safely.

Old August 28th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #23
Timr
needs a bigger shed

so i typed reply then clicked new posts and found this thread... maybe he will sell you the risers!

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111576

Old August 28th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #24
jmisto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
so i typed reply then clicked new posts and found this thread... maybe he will sell you the risers!

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111576
Thanks! I hope to hear back from him!

Old August 29th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #25
silverhana
ninjette.org member

Name: angie

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250

I lowered mine just so that I could plant my feet on the ground instead of struggling to balance/hold the bike up. It definitely helps, the only downside is that, since it's so low, I have to go over bumps really slowly and or stand up so that it doesn't hit the bottom ><!!
silverhana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #26
Evee
Master of Shadows

Name: IamMe

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I got a pair of 3 inch 'hidden heel' sneakers and can finally flat foot. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable you feel stopping uphill/downhill, it was a torture even for my 5'7.
Evee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #27
jmisto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evee View Post
I got a pair of 3 inch 'hidden heel' sneakers and can finally flat foot. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable you feel stopping uphill/downhill, it was a torture even for my 5'7.
I initially had the bike lowered about 2.5 inches and HATED it. The handling was awful and the suspension was very bouncy. I did not want too fool with lowering the front end as I only wanted to temporarily lower the bike while I gained confidence.

The lowering links I purchased were adjustable so I re-adjusted them so that the bike would only sit 1 inch lower. I purchased some riding boots that gave me about a 1.5inch lift and I'm good to go now. My husband is supposed to be slowly adjusting the suspension without telling me so that I'm eventually back up to stock height.

Old September 14th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #28
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Be happy that you're too short instead of too tall. I'm 6'2 and this bike is so tiny for me.

Old September 17th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #29
phorensic
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R, 2000 XR650R

I laugh whenever I see threads about lowering a street bike, especially the Ninjette. I'm 5'6" with a 26" inseam. I started riding on a YZ250 that was so tall I had to find a rock to put my foot on when I stopped, or I had to slide completely off the side of the seat to barely tippy toe in full motocross boots. Yeah, I dropped the bike a lot the first few rides, then I got used to it and gained a lot of balance.

After my YZ250 I bought my Ninja 250 and it was like a lowrider to me. I could put both feet down anywhere, walk it in between cars, etc. It was like the bike was made for me, so comfortable at low speeds or stopped.

Now I have a plated XR650R also that I ride on the street and that thing is a BEAST. Even though I can *barely* tippy toe it while hanging completely off the side of the seat, I still don't have problems splitting lanes, stopping in off camber situations, or whatever else requires getting a foot down. It's all about balance. If I can ride an XR650R on the street at 5'6" with a 26" inseam, there should be no reason to lower a little Ninja 250
phorensic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 11:09 AM   #30
rabies
time is running out....

Name: jesse

Motorcycle(s): pregen ninjari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
... It gets bad when folks get overboard, lowering the rear 2 inches or even more, and soon the tire rubs up against the undertail...
what undertail? ......

Old September 17th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #31
Evee
Master of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorensic View Post
I laugh whenever I see threads about lowering a street bike, especially the Ninjette.

Yeah, I dropped the bike a lot the first few rides, then I got used to it and gained a lot of balance.

there should be no reason to lower a little Ninja 250

...congratulations, you've just read a "why-I'm-such-a-badass" post.
Didn't you answer your own [rhetorical] question there? I personally don't find 'dropping the bike a few times' being worth getting used to its stock height, call it 'part of learning experience' or whatever else. Why ignore the alternatives, even as a temporary workaround? :/

Old September 17th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #32
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabies View Post
what undertail? ......
Whatever that stock plastic piece is called up and under the seat. The aftermarket ones are called undertails, I guess the stock ones are: Black plastic under seat area that keeps stuff from falling out.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old September 17th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #33
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Whatever that stock plastic piece is called up and under the seat. The aftermarket ones are called undertails, I guess the stock ones are: Black plastic under seat area that keeps stuff from falling out.
he took his off. It was a jest

Old September 17th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #34
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Ah, bueno.

Old September 17th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #35
phorensic
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R, 2000 XR650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evee View Post
...congratulations, you've just read a "why-I'm-such-a-badass" post.
Didn't you answer your own [rhetorical] question there? I personally don't find 'dropping the bike a few times' being worth getting used to its stock height, call it 'part of learning experience' or whatever else. Why ignore the alternatives, even as a temporary workaround? :/
I dropped a bike with a 39" seat height on uneven dirt trails a few times. I found it very hard, after that experience, to drop a bike with a 30" seat height on flat roads. Most people are taller than me and I don't see why they would ever want to lower a Ninja 250 even if it was their first two wheeled ride ever. I'm trying to put things into perspective. If someone was taller than me and they felt like they had to lower a Ninja 250 to feel comfortable and be safe, how would they EVER be able to ride a dirt bike for example? Maybe I should have said, "Oh, you think your Ninja 250 is tall? Swing your leg over my XR650R and then tell me your 250 is too tall. PFFFFFF!"
phorensic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 11:57 AM   #36
Evee
Master of Shadows

Quote:
I dropped a bike with a 39" seat height on uneven dirt trails a few times. I found it very hard, after that experience, to drop a bike with a 30" seat height on flat roads. Most people are taller than me and I don't see why they would ever want to lower a Ninja 250 even if it was their first two wheeled ride ever. I'm trying to put things into perspective. If someone was taller than me and they felt like they had to lower a Ninja 250 to feel comfortable and be safe, how would they EVER be able to ride a dirt bike for example? Maybe I should have said, "Oh, you think your Ninja 250 is tall? Swing your leg over my XR650R and then tell me your 250 is too tall. PFFFFFF!"
Comparison is not an actual solution to the issue. Stopping uphill/downhill was a huge problem for me as a newbie-rider, barely touching the ground. And if someone kindly offered me to try a dirt bike to see that it 'could be much worse', I would just kindly stab them in the eye. -__-

Old September 17th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #37
jmisto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I laugh whenever I see threads about lowering a street bike, especially the Ninjette. I'm 5'6" with a 26" inseam. I started riding on a YZ250 that was so tall I had to find a rock to put my foot on when I stopped, or I had to slide completely off the side of the seat to barely tippy toe in full motocross boots. Yeah, I dropped the bike a lot the first few rides, then I got used to it and gained a lot of balance.

After my YZ250 I bought my Ninja 250 and it was like a lowrider to me. I could put both feet down anywhere, walk it in between cars, etc. It was like the bike was made for me, so comfortable at low speeds or stopped.

Now I have a plated XR650R also that I ride on the street and that thing is a BEAST. Even though I can *barely* tippy toe it while hanging completely off the side of the seat, I still don't have problems splitting lanes, stopping in off camber situations, or whatever else requires getting a foot down. It's all about balance. If I can ride an XR650R on the street at 5'6" with a 26" inseam, there should be no reason to lower a little Ninja 250
Wow. You are so awesome.

I'm honored to have given you a good laugh.

Old September 17th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #38
rabies
time is running out....

Name: jesse

Motorcycle(s): pregen ninjari

Quote:
i was jus teasing. i hav none of it. since my bike will be lower along with the front. wont matter how low there wont be anythng for the tire to rub on. not that id lower it that much though. jus about 2474inches as all... teehee

Old September 18th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #39
Timr
needs a bigger shed

any way how are you finding the bike now you have had time to get used to it? or did you put it back to standard in the end?

Old September 18th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #40
jmisto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
any way how are you finding the bike now you have had time to get used to it? or did you put it back to standard in the end?
I initially had the bike lowered about 2.5 inches and HATED it. The handling was awful and the suspension was very bouncy. I did not want too fool with lowering the front end as I only wanted to temporarily lower the bike while I gained confidence.

The lowering links I purchased were adjustable so I re-adjusted them so that the bike would only sit 1 inch lower. I purchased some riding boots that gave me about a 1.5inch lift and I'm good to go now. My husband is supposed to be slowly adjusting the suspension without telling me so that I'm eventually back up to stock height. It's probably close to stock now.

I've put 900 miles on the bike in about 4 weeks. I'm feeling much more confident but still practicing a lot. I love the little bike but I used to ride 2up with my husband on his Concours and we'd do some 1000 mile trips. That won't be happening on the Ninja. I'll definitely want something else. (I'll be keeping my Ninja though!)