ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:43 PM   #1
4950cycle
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 06 EX 250, 75 CB 125 S, 2011 Fang Bobber

Old Ninjette lover almost grounded

Just looking for some input. My Dad is 72 and really likes riding his 06 Ninja. But he's getting to decreped to balance and shift . I wonder if I could extend his riding days by making his Ninja 250 a trike ? Has anybody ever heard of a Ninjette trike? and if so it couldn't be tooo tooo heavy to destroy most of the performance. Just looking for some thoughts on this idea.
4950cycle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Have your father considered a higher displacement bike with a sidecar?

I would say is a better alternative than modifying a Ninjette to become a tricycle.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:56 PM   #3
4950cycle
ninjette.org member

Hmmm..

Really loves everything about the Kaw 250 though he does. I'd like to kick the Ninja trike idea around a bit longer before moving on. And sidecar rigs are such slugs too. Thanks for the reply at any rate.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:11 PM   #4
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4950cycle View Post
Really loves everything about the Kaw 250 though he does. I'd like to kick the Ninja trike idea around a bit longer before moving on. And sidecar rigs are such slugs too. Thanks for the reply at any rate.
Everything he loves about the two fiddy would probably go out the window if it were to be made into a trike... Just my

Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:24 PM   #5
4950cycle
ninjette.org member

Rebel

Boy, you guys really don't think this is a good idea. Even if the Ninja only gained about 50 or 60 lbs. ? They are making that klunky 450 Rebel into trikes. I figured the Ninjette is such a superior machine it would make a fine little trike if not to heavy.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:30 PM   #6
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
What does your dad want?

Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
.......And sidecar rigs are such slugs too. Thanks for the reply at any rate.
You are welcome.

I have had sidecars and they have different handling but are not inferior in performance.

They don't need to be fancy: a light frame with a platform for carrying boxes and other loads would stabilize the bike.

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transal...body-done.html

Moving on:

A quick Google search returned this Ninja 500 that was modified to become a traditional trike:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245158

IMHO the engine should have enough power for your project, if the weight gain is not brutal.

The MC-95-250 Reverse Trike has a water cooled 250 cc engine that delivers only 13HP (so, the Ninjette's engine should do better):

http://www.roketa.com/product/1/0/47108.shtml

Link to original page on YouTube.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DIY sidecar.jpg (121.7 KB, 7 views)

Last futzed with by Motofool; December 24th, 2012 at 10:00 AM.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

He needs a Ural. They look like fun!

http://www.imz-ural.com/2012-ural-t/
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:29 PM   #9
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

So awesome. Nice you're looking up ideas for your Dad. Another approach is to take him to a gym that caters to seniors. We have a place here that has physio people that help seniors work on specific abilities. Sounds like just some balance issues and leg strength, resistance training will help with both of those things and build bone mass.
Keep us posted on what he thinks of these ideas
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:57 PM   #10
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Boy, you guys really don't think this is a good idea. Even if the Ninja only gained about 50 or 60 lbs. ? They are making that klunky 450 Rebel into trikes. I figured the Ninjette is such a superior machine it would make a fine little trike if not to heavy.
Well, I'm biased coz I don't like trikes at all... But if you like it and it works for your dad, why the hell not... Alternatively look into what firehorse said, sounds interesting to me. Either way, good luck!!!

Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:17 PM   #11
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
It sounds like a terrible idea. Everything good about the ninja would basically go out the window. You're better off getting something that was engineered to be a trike in the first place.

Old December 24th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #12
Z300
Ninja noobie

Name: NOOBIE

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Quote:
get a three wheeled scoot scoot which is also auto , seeing as your dad is having shifting problems too the sidecar might resolve the balance issue but what about the shifting problem
Z300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Sounds like an excuse to get a can-am to me.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Does he only have bad balance while coming to a stop or something? Or even while riding? Ive seen a member on a another forum who was paralized from the waist down had little training wheels that would come down when he pushed a button when coming to a stop. When he started moving again he hit the button and they came back up. He had it on a 650.

Edit - i noticed you said shifting too, that same individual had a thing made on his left control to shift as well since he obviously couldnt.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #15
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Your best bet I assume would be to take the rear end off a quad bike, fabricate a mounting adaptor bracket for the wheels, fit a sprocket with the same teething and find a way of marrying that to the swingarm, then you would need to find a way of modifying the suspension to deal with the added weight.

Once that is done you will find the bike is a lot slower due to a half extra wheel friction, and the extra weight so you will want to re-jet it, fit a performance air filter, fit at least a slip on and that will make it slightly less slow.

Your farther will find it strange to ride, and perhaps if he's getting on a bit he may not like it as much as he will have to re-learn how to ride something new, and that's very hard when you're over a certain age.

The resale value of the bike will be lower as it won't appeal to young starter riders and will be far too slow for the older riders.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #16
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Might be big and pricey but get him a gold wing trike.

Comes with all the options he needs.

Old December 24th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #17
lolibater

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R, 2011 Sprint GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Sounds like an excuse to get a can-am to me.
True dat.

Old December 26th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #18
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

I was riding the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer. Stopped up on top of Mount Mitchel and this couple rides in, he's on a Honda CBR ( Ithink) but she was riding a Burgmann that had "outriggers" on each side of the bike. The looked very lightwieght (so minimal proformance loss), inexpensive (not cheap) and well done. I talked with the male rider and he said they were ideal for anyone that was uncomfortable with two wheels and you could lean in the turns. I didn't take a real close look at them but I wish I'd asked more questions and gotten some pics. They were made of tubing, had shocks with a smaller wheel (like a trailer tire - maybe 12"-15" outside diameter). If you could find these and adapt them to the 250, they'd be an ideal solution to what your looking for.

Here... found a pic
The Burgman USA website

An other solution would be an MP3 motorcycle/scooter
AT 500ccs it's pertty potent.

Here's a link...
Piaggio MP3 500

I've test ridden a Spyder and been on the back of a trike and I don't think a true "Trike" is the way to go (IMO). They tend to feel like your getting thrown off the bike. Both of these options allow the lean in the turns of true motocycling and would be what I would be looking for when and if I can't do two wheels in the future. Being 62, that might not be to far off... sure hope not.

A search of cycle trader shows used ones starting at $3000. Reviews say not to think of it as a scooter dispite the step through styling (like the Burgman).

Good luck keeping your dad one two (or more) wheels! Give him my best.
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #19
4950cycle
ninjette.org member

Thank you

Thanks for all the feedback. And thank you Firehorse for the concern. The side car idea did look more viable once i saw the pic. Three wheel scoot idea he will not do due to only fags and chumps road scooters in his erra. lol (I'm a scoot fan myself) But the Quad rearend is most likely the route I will go. And I have ideas for getting rid of some makeup weight if you know what I mean. Center stand can go, Rear fender can go with not one ill effect, Use light aluminum spoked rims and tires in rear (not big heavy fancy mags like most newer trikes have), And no more weight on the stock Ninja shock than with two wheels. Since all added weight will be what racers call unsprung weight. See.. I do my home work ! And keep the feedback comeing. I will post pics of my creation once done. Got the marrying of the swingarm system done already. Firehorses idea would be the best idea yet if I could get the stubborn old sot to listen to anyone

Old December 26th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #20
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

I edit my post with additional info/pics. But I agree with FireHorse! That would be the best way to go. They have Yoga (Yoga's not for whimps ) classes that specialize in balance and those type things. I'm seriously working on my physical conditioning as I don't want to give up riding... (when I go... I hope to just ride off into the Sunset!! )

Old December 26th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #21
4950cycle
ninjette.org member

BTW, Who said I'm a trike lover ? Personally I think they don't do "anything" well. Their not near as fun or handle as well as a two wheeler, Slower (due to weight), And don't have the atributes of a car either. They are just the lesser of the evils I have to choose from IMHO. BTW good posts Old Guy.

Old December 26th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #22
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Old December 26th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #23
80MPHdownhill
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Yes, please.

R6.
80MPHdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #24
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

subscribed wanna see how this pans out

Old December 26th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #25
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

There is a place by me that will add 'training wheels' to any bike..looks like a trike but it keeps the rear wheel of bike. Think it's called 'instant trike' or something like that.

Here is the site, http://www.cyclestuffinc.com/ , I know its not local to you but they seem to offer kits so they maybe can ship that to you?

Edit: They seem to have a kit for a ninja 500, I bet that could be made to work for you!

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #26
4950cycle
ninjette.org member

No add ons

No EsrTek, Thanks for the thought you put into it. But those add ons up the weight considerably I would think. And technically you have 4 wheels with it. Just to much weight ! AND, I notice their not that pretty either

Old December 27th, 2012, 11:10 AM   #27
ahenthus
ninjette.org member

Name: Claude

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 1994 HD Sportster, 1975 Yamaha XS650B and many works in progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
So awesome. Nice you're looking up ideas for your Dad. Another approach is to take him to a gym that caters to seniors. We have a place here that has physio people that help seniors work on specific abilities. Sounds like just some balance issues and leg strength, resistance training will help with both of those things and build bone mass.
Keep us posted on what he thinks of these ideas
I agree with Ms T. I'm 65 and really enjoy my Ninjette and my other bikes. I can't imagine not riding and figure I'll still be riding well into my eighties. It's very important to stay in shape when you get older. Right now I need to step up my workouts a little because I can tell when I've been slacking, and lately I have been slacking. I wanted to do a few rides up in the mountains (Dragon, etc) this year but settled for riding the back roads closer to home instead. I'm retired so I don't have a regular schedule and can ride just about anytime I get the urge. I'm still in my twenties as far as attitude goes except with the judgement that comes with the extra decades. It's really a great place to be. Good luck with your dad.
ahenthus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #28
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
......The side car idea did look more viable once i saw the pic. .........
More info about sidecars:

http://www.cyclesidecar.com/buzz/faq.html

If you install a universal mount, the rig can be uninstalled in about ˝ hour with a couple of common wrenches.

If you guys have a dog........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aerodynamic-Motorcycle-Sidecar.jpg (101.7 KB, 12 views)

Old December 27th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #29
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahenthus View Post
I agree with Ms T. I'm 65 and really enjoy my Ninjette and my other bikes. I can't imagine not riding and figure I'll still be riding well into my eighties. It's very important to stay in shape when you get older. Right now I need to step up my workouts a little because I can tell when I've been slacking, and lately I have been slacking. I wanted to do a few rides up in the mountains (Dragon, etc) this year but settled for riding the back roads closer to home instead. I'm retired so I don't have a regular schedule and can ride just about anytime I get the urge. I'm still in my twenties as far as attitude goes except with the judgement that comes with the extra decades. It's really a great place to be. Good luck with your dad.
Claude,

Where in SC do you live. We need to "hook up" for a couple of rides next year!

Old December 27th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #30
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
More info about sidecars:

http://www.cyclesidecar.com/buzz/faq.html

If you install a universal mount, the rig can be uninstalled in about ˝ hour with a couple of common wrenches.

If you guys have a dog........
You know, looking at that, it appears that it might be artiriculated (????) !!! What is it. I didn't see it on the weblink you supplied. That would make for an interesting ride.

Old December 27th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #31
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy on a '08 View Post
You know, looking at that, it appears that it might be artiriculated (????) !!! What is it. I didn't see it on the weblink you supplied. That would make for an interesting ride.
Yes, it is a flexible concept introduced during the last century, ......that works !!!

Check these out:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/flexit.htm

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525279

Maybe this concept, with a limited range of lean, could suit the OP dilemma.
If the senior rider looses balance, the sidecar would prevent a fall on either side; however, the Ninjette could be leaned as usual (up to certain angle, allowed by the locks (rubber locks for soft flex-rigid transition)).

Old December 27th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #32
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Yes, it is a flexible concept introduced during the last century, ......that works !!!

Check these out:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/flexit.htm

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525279

Maybe this concept, with a limited range of lean, could suit the OP dilemma.
If the senior rider looses balance, the sidecar would prevent a fall on either side; however, the Ninjette could be leaned as usual (up to certain angle, allowed by the locks).

allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #33
ahenthus
ninjette.org member

Name: Claude

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 1994 HD Sportster, 1975 Yamaha XS650B and many works in progress.

I'm in Laurens, south of Greenville.
ahenthus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #34
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahenthus View Post
I'm in Laurens, south of Greenville.
Not to far from Charlotte. Do you go up to the blue ridge north of Asheville. Do any of the roads around Lake James, Morganton, Little Switzerland? Proably a little further than The Dragon for you but a lot more fun (less traffic).

Let's stay in touch. Always looking for someone to ride with.

Old December 28th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #35
4950cycle
ninjette.org member

Had to figure out what wheels to go with today on the 2 wheel rearend. I was going with spoked M/C rims to keep the weight down. But it will take just to much modification and machine shop work to get them to work. I guess we will go cast aluminum rims like everyone else has on their Scooter & other three wheel rigs. Tons of figuring and cyfering. When your buiding something like this you have to make sure the part you build or work on today won't get in the way of what you plan to build or adapt tomorrow.

Old December 28th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #36
lgk

let me know if you need help with visualization.
i'm pretty good at sketching things out digitally.

Old December 28th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #37
4950cycle
ninjette.org member

Thank you LGK

Old December 28th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #38
lgk

you're welcome John.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:14 PM   #39
4950cycle
ninjette.org member

Well, I've got it (the trike) mostly built and on the road. Wow, what a wild ride. I got it built so far with about a 55-65 lbs. gain in total weight. Not anything near the gain of the big heavy trikes. And most important to me was the fact that its not ruined as far as being sporty as was suggested by one of you. It still hauls ass if your smart enough to use the cams as intended for sport riding. No, you can't carve the twisteez with it . But you can hot rod around sliding it sideways (once you relearn how to ride it) and Churp the wheels in three gears as you speed shift up through the gears while up on the cams as said. A lot of people think it looks cool as hell and bug the crap out of me about it. I will post a pic when I get a chance if anyone is interested . Sorry, can't answer a lot of tech qestions about it as it took a lot of R & D and time to get it ironed out. And I will be most likely selling them. But as of right this second I'm not selling anything. Thanks for all the input and different ideas as to how to go about getting Dad back on a bike. PS. He's not use to the way a trike handles so it spooks him when he rides it. Might be the end of his riding days I'm sorry to say. Hey, I tried ? Boy did I try !

Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:18 PM   #40
lgk

Definitely interested in pics.