Old December 9th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Developing confidence

Those of you who own a copy of Twist of the Wrist II are no doubt familiar with its quirky writing style. One of its features are sidebar comments by road racer Doug Chandler, which provide an alternate view of the points being made in the main text.

I was just perusing my copy and this one caught my eye:

“Racing carries over to street. The high speeds of racing make the street easier. You have more control because you adapted to higher speeds. You don’t go into panic mode as easily.” — D.C.

Now, I'm not a racer and at my age (54) I'm not likely to take it up. I've never even been on the track on a bike, though I do intend to rectify that next year.

I have, however, had a season or two's worth of track experience in cars... mostly prepped sedans, but also a Spec Racer and a Formula Vee. So I do know first-hand what going fast at a track does for you as the operator of a motor vehicle.

I came out of that experience a better driver, for exactly the reason that Chandler cites. You get to see what high speeds are like and feel how the vehicle behaves, which is quite different. More importantly, you do it in a controlled environment so it's a learning experience rather than a dumb stunt you happened to survive.

What might have given you a shot of fear-induced adrenaline pre-track no longer does so... because the unknown is now known. Instead of feeling like you're flirting with disaster, you're going into a situation that you've experienced before.

The upshot is not that you get complacent about speed. Rather, you break through what you thought were real limits and in the process, reset those limits in your mind. You get to see that what you thought you could not do, you can in fact accomplish.

Anybody else experience this?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old December 9th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Those of you who own a copy of Twist of the Wrist II are no doubt familiar with its quirky writing style. One of its features are sidebar comments by road racer Doug Chandler, which provide an alternate view of the points being made in the main text.

I was just perusing my copy and this one caught my eye:

“Racing carries over to street. The high speeds of racing make the street easier. You have more control because you adapted to higher speeds. You don’t go into panic mode as easily.” — D.C.

Now, I'm not a racer and at my age (54) I'm not likely to take it up. I've never even been on the track on a bike, though I do intend to rectify that next year.

I have, however, had a season or two's worth of track experience in cars... mostly prepped sedans, but also a Spec Racer and a Formula Vee. So I do know first-hand what going fast at a track does for you as the operator of a motor vehicle.

I came out of that experience a better driver, for exactly the reason that Chandler cites. You get to see what high speeds are like and feel how the vehicle behaves, which is quite different. More importantly, you do it in a controlled environment so it's a learning experience rather than a dumb stunt you happened to survive.

What might have given you a shot of fear-induced adrenaline pre-track no longer does so... because the unknown is now known. Instead of feeling like you're flirting with disaster, you're going into a situation that you've experienced before.

The upshot is not that you get complacent about speed. Rather, you break through what you thought were real limits and in the process, reset those limits in your mind. You get to see that what you thought you could not do, you can in fact accomplish.

I did once, for about 45 years (and counting).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 9th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Rather, you break through what you thought were real limits and in the process, reset those limits in your mind. You get to see that what you thought you could not do, you can in fact accomplish.

54yrs young aye. I know for a few cats @75yrs+ you need to have a chat with, I cannot speak for them as they are beyond me. What I learned from a 77yr old rider... "99% of limits are self imposed".
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I've definitely noticed I feel more confident on the street, especially in mountain roads. While on the track I am constantly thinking ahead, where's my next mark and the mark after that, how's my line, is the corner two turns ahead clear, any flags out, etc? On the street, I feel like I am moving slower, so those quick assessments of the road have more time to process and make necessary changes before I reach them. I not only see further but comprehend better what I am seeing.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
54??? pffft. F that, get on the track and consider racing if it's financially an option. There's plenty of dudes at the track who are older than that and will tell you you're full of it if you decide that you're too old.

That said, track time makes the street scary easy. Like you'll actually have to find new places to ride because everything you're 'used' to is boring. Oh, and you'll actually have to watch that great big sweeping needle in the middle of the dash and make sure it falls on the number that matches those lame big signs on the side of the road.

The speed feels so natural and effortless after track time. It's a major ego boost and yet such a downer at the same time. Roads are boring.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #6
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Sweeping needle??? My tach???

MOTM strong in this thread

Old December 9th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #7
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Absolutely! Track truly helped me realize the potential of my bike (and me! Though I haven't reached either of our full potential yet and likely never will...hence my nickname, "Permanoob") That said, I actually take it easier on mountain roads than I ever did pre-track. I always fear the oil slick, gravel patch, or car in my lane around the blind corner. I kind of feel like after track, I take twisties VERY conservatively whereas I used to take more risks. Once learning what is possible on the track and letting it out there, I never felt the deep need to do that on street corners.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #8
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

I've never been on the track . I could use the outlet though .
I am a conservative rider when w others
But on my own I get stupid sometimes lol

I know what the bike can do. I have to know better because I know what te environment can do also.

I need to find a track.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #9
Loadthis
ninjette.org member

Name: Evan

Yes I had that experience exactly. My first track day (test & tune) was two weeks into owning my first street bike. My coach and mentor Cris Beck, got me up to speed on the track and taught me a lot. Subsequent rides up the Sandia Crest road in ABQ were much easier then I imagined they would be. What I learned from the track definitely made me a better rider right from the start.
An example of that...I took a turn a little too hot on the Crest Road, once I noticed I was fast, I though for a split second about braking, then my track experience (my one track experience lol) and what I had learned for Cris kicked in. I got my damn butt off the seat and leaned my body into the turn. Naturally, the bike did what it was supposed to and I negotiated the turn. Had I stood the bike up I surely would have gone off the into the gravel.
Loadthis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #10
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
I've never been on the track . I could use the outlet though .
I am a conservative rider when w others
But on my own I get stupid sometimes lol

I know what the bike can do. I have to know better because I know what te environment can do also.

I need to find a track.
Absolutely! It'll be well worth your time. I need to get my a$$ back on one.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^^ you know I got you girl, see you soon.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 12th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #12
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Hooray for track day