ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old September 13th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #1
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Name: D.

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 ABS

Hard braking situation..ABS kicked in

Situation: (Not a pending accident...FYI)

I had just made a left turn from a light and began to accelerate. I made it past the first light and was fast approaching the second light. I was about 2-3 car lengths away from entering the intersection when the light turned yellow. In about 2 seconds time, I went from rolling on the throttle to deciding I was not going to make the light and quickly hit my brakes. I was probably going between 40 and 50 mph.

I started to brake and, after a split second, I felt the pulsating of my ABS; first on my rear pedal, then I think I felt it on my left hand brake lever. I didn't let up on either brake, held them both steady, and let the ABS work. I did hear a slight screeching noise and figured that was my rear tire locking a bit. I say that because at the same time, I felt a very slight (and I mean slight) fish tail to the left from my rear.

Again, I held everything steady, kept my head up and eyes in front of me, and came to a safe stop right at the white line of the intersection. Didn't drop, didn't panic, and most importantly, didn't get rear ended. I did, however, instantly get a cramp in my left hip.

Thoughts, reflection, and advice:

First, I'm glad I had the ABS. I feel like the lock of the rear tire could have been worse if not for the ABS. Also, this is evidence that you can lock a tire even with ABS.

Secondly, my practice entirely paid off. People, please, especially noobie riders, practice! Practice, practice, and then practice some more. Because I practice braking, and using both brakes at all times, I did not feel a tremendous jolt forward, I didn't panic, I kept my eyes in front of me and head up, and I knew to just let the brakes work. I honestly came to a very brisk stop, rather smoothly.

Thirdly, and what I feel most importantly, as I passed through the first light, seeing I was approaching a second light, I glanced in my mirrors to see how far away the car behind me was. I can honestly say this factored into my decision to stop rather than try to go through the second light. It also factored into the reason why I did not get rear ended. Again, practice, practice, and practice always checking your mirrors; especially when approaching lights or stopping situations.

So, I'm glad things worked out for me and I just wanted to share my thoughts. Hope this helps someone out there as they are riding. Please, ride safe everyone and practice!

D.

Tl;dr: I had to stop hard for a light, my ABS kicked in, locked a tire, but it all worked out.
DSomething is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old September 13th, 2015, 12:48 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nice! Keep doing what you're doing.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #3
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Nice! Keep doing what you're doing.
Thanks!

D.

Old September 13th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #4
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Nothing to add to your experience so just stay the course. I'm a little curious about this left hand brake thing

I've found myself in a similar situation several times and stopping in time was never really an issue. being confident the people behind you can stop is more important. There was one time that I spaced out and didn't notice a red light just in front of me because I was already scanning ahead at the next signal 200 feet further up the road. I noticed the red with only about 4-5 car lengths while going 45mph and just quick but smoothly clamped on the front brake. I doubt I used the rear because as a racer I never touched the rear so my instincts are wired for front only in a 100% braking situation. Honestly the rear brake wouldn't have done anything but lock up in this case because the rear was basically floating anyways. I'd hate to think how far I would have encroached into the intersection had I had ABS and it activated on me.

When stopping in a strait line at 100% power there really nothing your rear going to do but get you into trouble. As much as I hate ABS I think I could really support the use of it on the rear only. Your discription of your rear brake feedback is great by the way.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old September 13th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSomething View Post
........... Secondly, my practice entirely paid off. People, please, especially noobie riders, practice! Practice, practice, and then practice some more. Because I practice braking, and using both brakes at all times, I did not feel a tremendous jolt forward, I didn't panic, I kept my eyes in front of me and head up, and I knew to just let the brakes work. I honestly came to a very brisk stop, rather smoothly...........
Very good, D !!!

I believe that becoming familiar with the forces and noises associated to emergency braking, as well as with the controlled action of the right hand are the greatest of the benefits of periodic practice.

The oil drops accumulated on the lanes next to traffic lights may have contributed to the less than perfect action of the ABS respect to the rear tire (light fish-tail).

The decision to stop or run a light should be done with as much time and distance as practically possible and considering the situation of the following traffic.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #6
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Nothing to add to your experience so just stay the course. I'm a little curious about this left hand brake thing

I've found myself in a similar situation several times and stopping in time was never really an issue. being confident the people behind you can stop is more important. There was one time that I spaced out and didn't notice a red light just in front of me because I was already scanning ahead at the next signal 200 feet further up the road. I noticed the red with only about 4-5 car lengths while going 45mph and just quick but smoothly clamped on the front brake. I doubt I used the rear because as a racer I never touched the rear so my instincts are wired for front only in a 100% braking situation. Honestly the rear brake wouldn't have done anything but lock up in this case because the rear was basically floating anyways. I'd hate to think how far I would have encroached into the intersection had I had ABS and it activated on me.

When stopping in a strait line at 100% power there really nothing your rear going to do but get you into trouble. As much as I hate ABS I think I could really support the use of it on the rear only. Your discription of your rear brake feedback is great by the way.
Crap, you're right. What was I thinking about the brake being the left lever. That's so weird now that you pointed that out though because I really believe I felt something in the left lever. Maybe it was the vibrations of the pulsing braking?

D.

Old September 13th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #7
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Very good, D !!!

I believe that becoming familiar with the forces and noises associated to emergency braking, as well as with the controlled action of the right hand are the greatest of the benefits of periodic practice.

The oil drops accumulated on the lanes next to traffic lights may have contributed to the less than perfect action of the ABS respect to the rear tire (light fish-tail).

The decision to stop or run a light should be done with as much time and distance as practically possible and considering the situation of the following traffic.
Thanks Motofool!

I honestly was surprised at how smoothly I gripped the brake lever and pressed down on the pedal. Obviously I hit them hard enough to induce the ABS but I still stopped in a relatively smooth motion, with no sudden jolts or anything.

Oh, you know, I didn't think about the oil drops. That very well could have been the cause. I'm trying to think back and remember where in the lane I came to the stop but I can't remember.

I most definitely agree about being aware of the situation, especially the trailing traffic. This is why I always check my mirrors, and I'm glad I did this time for sure. It absolutely played a role in my decision. I distinctly remember thinking that I had enough space behind me which is why I immediately stopped rolling on the throttle and decided to brake instead.

What amazed me though was how quickly the thoughts ran through my head. And, I do believe I will get even faster in my decision making skills while riding. In all of two seconds or so I thought, "oh, I'll speed up and make the light. Wait, no, I don't have to. I have enough room. Apply the brakes firmly and keep my head straight ahead". I'm hoping that by getting better, that would mean I wouldn't have the first thought, but I'd go right to my plan and act.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad what I thought was a good reaction was in fact a good reaction!

D.

Old September 13th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #8
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
ABS kicked in, yo!
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 14th, 2015, 05:17 AM   #9
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Crap, you're right. What was I thinking about the brake being the left lever. That's so weird now that you pointed that out though because I really believe I felt something in the left lever. Maybe it was the vibrations of the pulsing braking?

D.
If you were feathering the clutch while all that was going on then you may have felt the slipper clutch juttering due to the rear wheel not engaging smoothly with the asphalt because it was being forced to pulsate from the abs. So abs causes wheel to pulse, wheel causes chain to pulse, chain causes clutch to pulse, clutch pulsation can be felt in the left brake lever.....oops I mean clutch lever

Based on general rider ability I doubt a general street rider would be feathering the clutch, almost every riders would ether not go for the clutch or grab it and clamp down on it to keep it from stalling. But I'm not one to assume so maybe you naturally feathered the clutch.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2015, 08:50 AM   #10
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
slow down.

Old September 14th, 2015, 09:13 AM   #11
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
If you were feathering the clutch while all that was going on then you may have felt the slipper clutch juttering due to the rear wheel not engaging smoothly with the asphalt because it was being forced to pulsate from the abs. So abs causes wheel to pulse, wheel causes chain to pulse, chain causes clutch to pulse, clutch pulsation can be felt in the left brake lever.....oops I mean clutch lever

Based on general rider ability I doubt a general street rider would be feathering the clutch, almost every riders would ether not go for the clutch or grab it and clamp down on it to keep it from stalling. But I'm not one to assume so maybe you naturally feathered the clutch.
I'm not sure what feathering the clutch is though. I'm pretty sure I did just pull in the clutch through the whole process.

D.

Old September 14th, 2015, 09:17 AM   #12
DSomething
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
slow down.
Yeah, but I'm not a fast rider, really. The speed limit on that street was 45, although I did pull away from the traffic behind me rather quickly

D.

Old September 14th, 2015, 11:03 AM   #13
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
I'm not sure what feathering the clutch is though. I'm pretty sure I did just pull in the clutch through the whole process.

D.
Having the clutch in the friction zone is feathering.

When you take off quickly in a car or on a motorcycle you will find yourself letting the clutch out partially engaged, also known as feathering.

slow down so you can react more quickly, don't go through intersections so quickly anyway. dangerous