Closed Thread

Old December 21st, 2013, 07:45 PM   #121
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
seriously though dude you should stop being so concerned with your image. if you only ride a bike because it sets up an image for you. maybe you should rethink your life
LOL we could all easily drive a car around from point a - b. Motorcycles are cool as hell, fun to ride and accelerate the thrill of speed and driving way more than a car does. If you thought I spent over $4000 on everything including bike just for my image you're wrong, the cool-ness factor comes with it, though. I appreciate my bike a lot more than you think, you're extremely stuck up about it when you tell me to reconsider my life, lol.

To tell you the truth, I just don't want to look like a total try-hard in full gear if I'm still learning even how to shift up into 1st gear. My mindset is telling me it's not needed for me to spend all this money but if it's really needed then I have to reconsider a lot of things.... It's always better to be safe than sorry but isn't there a point where it just stops?

Old December 21st, 2013, 09:06 PM   #122
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
watch out, long rant.

i know its great to shrug off people like me as just some asshole or whatever that's trying to kill your buzz and drive you away from the sport you love... because... i donno, becuase i'm some asshole i guess. no. i think its great you like bikes. i think its fantastic you want to ride and bought one to do so. but what i think you should do is not underestimate the level of skill required in certain circumstances. circumstances that are easy to encounter when riding on the street. what i think you should do is not underestimate the risk of danger you face when riding bikes with cars. you need to understand that crashing is not just a possibility, its a very high probability. not just for you because i'm some asshole who doesn't know how awesome of a rider you are or how far you have progressed in, what? a couple months or whatever. no, because crashing is always a possibility for everyone. so think about what's going to happen when you crash and fall. what's going to happen to your ankle when you don't have real boots on, what will happen to your skin when you don't have real rash protection on? or your hands when you crash with ****** gloves that don't actually protect for ****. seriously, think about any piece of your gear, now think about dragging it at 70mph on asphalt with a couple of cinder blocks on it. do you think it will hold up? now imagine how your skin will hold up after the piece of gear is gone. nice thought isn't it. do you understand why i say you should rethink things? not because you need to change your mind about things but because you need to spend more time thinking about what you are doing.

so when i tell you to not be so concerned with your image, what i mean to say is that how you look should be the last thing on your mind. why? because there's a hundred other things more important that you seem to ignore. like safety. or what will happen when you crash.

sure, you can find that asshole who has been riding 30 years and has never once crashed. that ****ing magical unicorn who everyone seems to know that they can throw out there to show that hey not everyone crashes, and then make the wild internal assumptious jump to 'therefore i need not worry about crashing.' that logic is ****ing stupid.

you don't want to look like you're trying too hard? are you ****ing kidding me right now

end rant.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old December 21st, 2013, 09:20 PM   #123
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
..........To tell you the truth, I just don't want to look like a total try-hard in full gear if I'm still learning even how to shift up into 1st gear. My mindset is telling me it's not needed for me to spend all this money but if it's really needed then I have to reconsider a lot of things....
Brian, like each one of us has been, you are more vulnerable and prone to falls now that you are starting your learning process.

After a few weeks, you will become much more vulnerable than now, as you gain some skills and some exaggerated sense of confidence.

Later on, you will become more conscious of the traffic's danger and more cautious in traffic and will learn more and more things about motorcycling and fine control of your machine.

That process happens to everyone that tries motorcycling seriously.
For that reason, it is wise buying all the protection that you can afford now rather than later.

Take a look at this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Protective_Gear

Old December 21st, 2013, 09:45 PM   #124
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
watch out, long rant.

i know its great to shrug off people like me as just some asshole or whatever that's trying to kill your buzz and drive you away from the sport you love... because... i donno, becuase i'm some asshole i guess. no. i think its great you like bikes. i think its fantastic you want to ride and bought one to do so. but what i think you should do is not underestimate the level of skill required in certain circumstances. circumstances that are easy to encounter when riding on the street. what i think you should do is not underestimate the risk of danger you face when riding bikes with cars. you need to understand that crashing is not just a possibility, its a very high probability. not just for you because i'm some asshole who doesn't know how awesome of a rider you are or how far you have progressed in, what? a couple months or whatever. no, because crashing is always a possibility for everyone. so think about what's going to happen when you crash and fall. what's going to happen to your ankle when you don't have real boots on, what will happen to your skin when you don't have real rash protection on? or your hands when you crash with ****** gloves that don't actually protect for ****. seriously, think about any piece of your gear, now think about dragging it at 70mph on asphalt with a couple of cinder blocks on it. do you think it will hold up? now imagine how your skin will hold up after the piece of gear is gone. nice thought isn't it. do you understand why i say you should rethink things? not because you need to change your mind about things but because you need to spend more time thinking about what you are doing.

so when i tell you to not be so concerned with your image, what i mean to say is that how you look should be the last thing on your mind. why? because there's a hundred other things more important that you seem to ignore. like safety. or what will happen when you crash.

sure, you can find that asshole who has been riding 30 years and has never once crashed. that ****ing magical unicorn who everyone seems to know that they can throw out there to show that hey not everyone crashes, and then make the wild internal assumptious jump to 'therefore i need not worry about crashing.' that logic is ****ing stupid.

you don't want to look like you're trying too hard? are you ****ing kidding me right now

end rant.
This post is some real sh1t.

Thanks

Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:23 AM   #125
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

Also, fastest 250? let's go

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 02:06 PM   #126
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
This post is some real sh1t.

Thanks
For future reference, when you read a post from alex.s, think of this....

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 05:43 PM   #127
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
They stink!

Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:37 PM   #128
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Das fuke did I waste my time reading all this dribble for?

You sound like my ex... More interested in image than safety, best of luck with that. Road rash has to be sexy to someone somewhere

Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:42 PM   #129
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
You sound like my ex... More interested in image than safety, best of luck with that. Road rash has to be sexy to someone somewhere
You don't have to be so rude about it dude..Riding a motorcycle should be something enjoyable for the nice weather, not something I thought I would get geared up for like I'm going skiing / taking an 8 day survival trip to Antarctica, just my opinion. I realize it's very dangerous and I guess I'm completely underestimating that. No need to be a dick bro we're all riders here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe the Ant View Post

Also, fastest 250? let's go
AHAHAH nah man I'm moving to FL for the college life. People don't drive too bad in Boston though, except on Friday nights and Sunday mornings.. and when it snows or rains even a little bit, and when it's substantially sunny, or when it's really foggy... Actually kind of all the time now that I think about it.....

Old December 22nd, 2013, 06:44 PM   #130
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Protip: gear looks badass! The more gear you have, the more badass you look. Ever see how ugly Rossi is? When he's riding, the ladies practically take off their clothes.

look at this:

vs this:

It does a decent job making me look acceptable as well, IMHO

Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:00 PM   #131
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Riding a motorcycle should be something enjoyable for the nice weather, not something I thought I would get geared up for like I'm going skiing / taking an 8 day survival trip to Antarctica, just my opinion. I realize it's very dangerous and I guess I'm completely underestimating that.
Well you aren't in the minority with that kind of thinking I guess. The majority of riders around here wear almost no gear, and only ride when the weather is perfect. They ride more for the image then actual passion for riding.

I call them squids. You should feel right at home in Florida, good luck.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:09 PM   #132
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
I call them squids. You should feel right at home in Florida, good luck.
I see what you might have done there

Quote:
The majority of riders around here wear almost no gear, and only ride when the weather is perfect. They ride more for the image then actual passion for riding.
Honestly I think you're wrong with this one. Unless you know every rider personally who rides like that than you don't really have the power to tell them they ride more for the image.... A motorcycle gives people freedom and in the good weather I bet it would feel awesome to ride with shorts and a tee. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable at all with a heavy padded jacket, riding pants, gloves and boots if it was 90 degrees out, and riding uncomfortably isn't why I got a motorcycle. This is why I am trying to strive my best to fit the need for both function / comfortable good looking riding clothes, I know a lot of you have the wrong impression of me and I don't think it's a good way to welcome me to the forum.... especially because I'm a new rider! I will change my ways!

Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:26 PM   #133
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
I see what you might have done there
Florida motorcycle riders

And then there's this guy.

Link to original page on YouTube.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:36 PM   #134
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Florida motorcycle riders

And then there's this guy.

Link to original page on YouTube.

AHAHAHAHAHAHahahah oh man. I'm not laughing too much because you tried to insult me lol.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 07:57 PM   #135
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
I know I wouldn't feel comfortable at all with a heavy padded jacket, riding pants, gloves and boots if it was 90 degrees out, and riding uncomfortably isn't why I got a motorcycle.
I'll ride all day on a 90+ degree day in full gear, and I'll be sweating my ass off.

And you know what? I won't care one bit because I love riding. Being uncomfortable is a minor inconvenience. Having half of your skin gone from road rash is going to be much more than a minor inconvenience though.

Just keep in mind that we really are trying to help.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:00 PM   #136
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I'll ride all day on a 90+ degree day in full gear, and I'll be sweating my ass off.

And you know what? I won't care one bit because I love riding. Being uncomfortable is a minor inconvenience. Having half of your skin gone from road rash is going to be much more than a minor inconvenience though.

Just keep in mind that we really are trying to help.
I'm going to quote this so you can read it twice.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:33 PM   #137
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Protip: gear looks badass! The more gear you have, the more badass you look. Ever see how ugly Rossi is? When he's riding, the ladies practically take off their clothes.

look at this:

vs this:

It does a decent job making me look acceptable as well, IMHO
Hey hey now... Rossi is sexy, he just gota keep that hair under control

Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:41 PM   #138
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

You'll understand when you crash, unfortunately it's hard to convince people before that happens.

Hopefully you're not going too fast. I have pics if you want to see them and I'm not the only one.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:47 PM   #139
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe the Ant View Post
You'll understand when you crash, unfortunately it's hard to convince people before that happens.

Hopefully you're not going too fast. I have pics if you want to see them and I'm not the only one.
Says the guy riding his ninja in a banana suit... Nah only kidding lol.

I already fell a lot doing other stuff man it's scary for sure and definitively deadly at 40+mph. It's gonna be scary going on the freeway for my first time, but I'm also extremely excited for the experience! I'm considering putting a big sign on the back of my jacket that says. "Be freaking careful around me I'm a newb!".

Old December 22nd, 2013, 08:59 PM   #140
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

You ever fall and get pinned down on a belt sander? Belt sanders have a finer grit anyway

That's a kevlar banana btw

Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:20 PM   #141
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
I bet it would feel awesome to ride with shorts and a tee. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable at all with a heavy padded jacket, riding pants, gloves and boots if it was 90 degrees out, and riding uncomfortably isn't why I got a motorcycle.
Brian, I am seriously beginning to suspect you are nothing more than a troll. You have flat out ignored every bit of advice that riders far more experienced than you have given. You have stated that you are far more interested in the looks vs the safety of being on a bike.

With that attitude YOU WILL GET YOURSELF KILLED.

So I'm doing this, I'm posting this of a gal who, in her words, "I had shed my prescription glasses for a pair of sunglasses, my cowboy hat for an oversized helmet, and quickly thrown on a pair of capri jeans, tennis shoes, and a sweatshirt over my bikini. I thought nothing of the fact that I had practically no protection against the asphalt if anything were to happen."

This happened...

(Space for those who don't want to see the graphic picture)

http://www.getyourownbike.com/photog...adrashpic1.jpg
(Edited to link to image vs show as Brian saw post)

Its your skin, and you are welcome to continue thinking that you are invincible, but a simple Google search will show you that YOU ARE WRONG.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:42 PM   #142
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Brian, I am seriously beginning to suspect you are nothing more than a troll. You have flat out ignored every bit of advice that riders far more experienced than you have given. You have stated that you are far more interested in the looks vs the safety of being on a bike.
A troll? I have listened to all of you and eventually agreed with everything you said. I was stating my own opinion about how it needs to be (wear full gear & expect the worst) vs How it's supposed to be (chill the fk out and enjoy the ride). Theyre 2 different things and I'm just giving my opinion on it. I said it's extremely dangerous and I need to be expecting the worst to happen.

I see all the tragic stories and there's no way I can get them out of my head but you guys don't know me and can't suspect i'm a complete idiot through a couple posts on the forum. I've been shopping a lot for the gear I don't have right now so I have plenty of time until the weather gets nicer (and plenty of money to make) before I take my course / pursue my license. I don't know why this thread is continuing with you guys bashing me to death.. I'm sure we all want to look cool on our motorcycles and that's why we get cool helmets to match the bike and a cool jacket that meets our own function / style standards. If you all are pointing fingers at me thinking I'm the only one look ****ing elsewhere and at everybody else who rides a motorcycle. YOURSELF included. As I stand by what I said before motorcycles are meant to look cool, that's just how they were designed, live with it. I invested my whole bank account into this little 250 because they're freaking awesome, mine sounds awesome, looks awesome, and I love to ride. + They're wicked cheap compared to a nice car. Totally a good investment in my book.

I don't want to get hurt or killed! What the hell? It's our instinct to protect ourselves you think I don't already know this?..... It's still going to get pounded in my head after every accident / mistake I ever make by my whole family. I understand. Yes, I do. You may not believe it!!

Old December 22nd, 2013, 09:50 PM   #143
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Basically dress with sliding in mind, any kind of armor is a plus but nobody can afford all that anyway. Heavy jeans hold up better than you'd be led to believe but they're not much more than that. Leather is your best bet. Do what you can, something is better than nothing. Just don't ride like an idiot.

Good places to be spendy are helmets and boots, ankles are expensive and painful and as you get into better helmets you get a lot of nicer features as well as increased safety. I like bell helmets but it really comes down to more of the shape of your head than anything.

I have an OSI padded/mesh jacket, some gloves with carbon fiber armor on em (no name), bell star helmet, and jeans and doc marten's cause I'm an asshole

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:07 PM   #144
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
If you all are pointing fingers at me thinking I'm the only one look ****ing elsewhere and at everybody else who rides a motorcycle. YOURSELF included.
The majority of riders, at least in my state, are idiots IMO. Hell probably 50% of them don't even wear helmets, not required by law here. On a hot day you'd be lucky to even see any rider here wearing a jacket,.. and shorts, don't even get me started.

It's your own personal choice, how much gear you wear. I personally know people who ride in little to no gear. I tell them they are stupid, but I'm still friends with them. I just won't feel sorry if they go down and end up seriously injured. I know that seems cold, but if you ride with no helmet or gear then I don't feel sorry for you.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:11 PM   #145
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
The majority of riders, at least in my state, are idiots IMO. Hell probably 50% of them don't even wear helmets, not required by law here. On a hot day you'd be lucky to even see any rider here wearing a jacket,.. and shorts, don't even get me started.

It's your own personal choice, how much gear you wear. I personally know people who ride in little to no gear. I tell them they are stupid, but I'm still friends with them. I just won't feel sorry if they go down and end up seriously injured. I know that seems cold, but if you ride with no helmet or gear then I don't feel sorry for you.
I would never do something like that man. If we ever do cross paths you will see me in full riding gear regardless the weather! Hehe

That's unless the world is freaking coming to an end in 48 hours and when that is you'll see me riding fuucking naked. Yea buddy how's that for showing off? *Cha-ching*

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:21 PM   #146
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
I used to have a pretty casual outlook on gear when I was a new rider. More than a few time you could have caught me riding around in a T-shirt. Always wore a helmet and gloves though.

Then one day I realized that I couldn't afford to be out of work for weeks or months, and good gear is certainly less expensive than hospital bills, just keep that in mind.

I'm still not really getting the image thing though. I thought motorcycle gear looked cool.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:28 PM   #147
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
You are right, all I see are a few forum posts and that's all I can respond to. Its those posts that are coming over, to me, as someone who disregards the advice of others in the quest of looking cool. From these posts, yes, you have changed your mind, but it seems to take a lot of arguing to at least get you to consider what we are saying. That is what I am answering because that is what you are showing through your posts here.

You are right, motorcycles are meant to be fun and we all do have fun on them, that's why we are here. We worry about folks starting out because we want them to have fun for a long time, and all it takes is once for things to go very very wrong, so we offer suggestions to help a new rider survive their first few months/years. I don't want it pounded into your head after every accident, I don't want you to have an accident in the first place! But I do want to make sure you survive that first one and you walk away with only a bruised ego.

All risky hobbies require equipment. Style only comes after making sure the gear does its job. If the safest piece of equipment is bright pink, I'll wear it knowing i look like an utter Hello Kitty but knowing that it will protect me. Function, then fashion. Since you point the finger back at me, ok, i will look at myself. I have a green helmet, ok, given it matched, but the color was only chosen after i was happy learning Sparx stands behind their product to replace it after a wreck. I have a gawdawful orange vest i have grown to love chosen not because i wanted it but because it was a requirement to ride my bike to work. I have a massively long tourmaster jacket chosen because the it was full textile and would protect my arms and back against abrasion, TM only offered black. I wear an Icon chest and back protector because my jacket is lame and the foam back pad was useless. The combination makes me look like the stay puff marshmallow man, but the combo has already held up to a lowside, so I don't care. I have tourmaster black pants (again, TM is lame on color choices) because it was layered so it could be worn year round and keep the armor against my knees and hips regardless of what layer i removed. I have sidi boots because I already wrecked wearing crap gear (jeans and hiking boots) and have the scars to prove it so i refused to leave my feet vulnerable when the rest of me was armored up.

I ride because i have an awesome time, love exploring every road possible, and going fast at the track. I ride for the freedom of feeling the wind against my chest and the stars over my head. I ride for the silence of my own thoughts. I ride for the beauty of this great country. To hell with anyone who thinks down on me looking like what i am, a fat short girl fully armored up on a tiny bike. I don't care, i am having the time of my life.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:47 PM   #148
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
You are right, all I see are a few forum posts and that's all I can respond to. Its those posts that are coming over, to me, as someone who disregards the advice of others in the quest of looking cool. From these posts, yes, you have changed your mind, but it seems to take a lot of arguing to at least get you to consider what we are saying. That is what I am answering because that is what you are showing through your posts here.
You should closely re-consider your opinion then. Unless you know me you can't make those assumptions

Old December 22nd, 2013, 10:49 PM   #149
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

We're done here.

/closed

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Closed Thread