ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 1st, 2011, 09:02 PM   #1
BFisher244
Ninja Noob

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

getting a pre-owned bike home

I'm thinking about picking up a 2nd ninjette for my wife so that I can have some company on the road. I found a great deal on a bike in NY state that i'll be checking out later in the week. I live in CT, so the question going thru my mind is how to legally get the bike home. If I read the CT dmv site right I think i would have to drive up there, buy the bike, get the title and bill of sale, leave the bike there and then go to the CT dmv for temp plates and then insure it and then drive back up to finally get the bike home. This is a pain in the a$$. Anyone have any good suggestions on easier ways to get the bike home (delivery service?, alternate ways to get a temp plate?, etc?).

I'm trying to avoid just slipping my other plates onto the bike if I purchase it, and driving home illegally. I'm paranoid like that.
BFisher244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2011, 09:29 PM   #2
pilotgeorge747
ninjette.org guru

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r 03 Yamaha R6 (Project bike)

I had my Ninja picked up from Maryland and delivered here to Florida by a shipper I found from uShip.com. You select the details and different companies bid on your shipment. I paid $410 to have my bike delivered and was delivered like 2 days after they picked it up from the seller. I had a horrible experience with the seller but the shipping company was awesome!
pilotgeorge747 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I rode mine home illegally! But it was only a 30 minute ride and a friend followed right behind me so cops couldn't tell if I had a plate or not. I didn't. The title wasn't in my name yet but I had a bill of sale. I would just slap on your plate and have someone follow you home. Just don't crash. Haha. Then you would have legal problems. That's all I got. Hopefully someone has better advice.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2011, 09:55 PM   #4
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Wouldn't it be better to just rent a trailer / u-haul?

Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:32 AM   #5
BFisher244
Ninja Noob

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil7153 View Post
Am i missing something? Why cant you just ride it home and deal with the title and plate then? You have 10 business days. Long as you have a valid license it shouldn't matter where the plates are from.

In CT if you get caught doing that the fine is pretty stiff.
BFisher244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:54 AM   #6
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
OP, you read the laws right. It has to be plated with your plates that are registered to that vehicle every time it's out on the road. While you probably COULD get away with sticking your current plates on it just to ride it home, it's definitely safer to follow the law. When I bought my bike, at least it was in my own state so all I had to do was go to the nearest bmv to the sellers house to get plates, then ride it home.

I'd say rent a uhaul trailer and bring the bike home that way, or if you find a shipping service that you trust and has good reviews, pay for that. That way there's never any worry about getting pulled over and having to explain the plate swap.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:29 AM   #7
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
If I were you I'd take the number plate off my Ninjette and attach it to the new Ninjette then ride home. Just focus on riding safe and riding well within the boundaries of what is legal. I'm sure you'll be fine. If on your ride home, a curious cop does a plate check then they'll find a fully insured Kawasaki Ninja 250r with no outstanding issues!

On your ride home you should wear full protective gear and a hi-vis/reflective outer layer to make yourself look like a proper goodie two shoes! ... ie someone who the cops don't feel the need to pull over. The hi-vis layer will make you extra visible for that ride home too, so it's less likely you'll get in an accident.

I wouldn't let the seller know that you're riding it back like that. They might be a self-defined "good samaritan" and report you.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:34 AM   #8
capriccio
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

When I bought my bike, I paid the seller $100 to delivery it to my house. I bet many of those sellers will have a truck and won't mind a drive.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:41 AM   #9
2.5LGT
ninjette.org member

Name: Gao

Motorcycle(s): 05 xz6r 636, 10' Ninja 250R SE Green (sold)

Rent a U-Haul bike trailer. It is cheaper than the alternative, what if something happens to the unregisted and un-insure bike?

BTW, I have a 10' 250R SE for sale (in CT)
2.5LGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:53 AM   #10
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

When I bought my bike, I rented a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul and hooked it up to my friend's pickup truck. The trailer was super cheap, I want to say $20 or so. Just make sure the hookup for the trailer lights is working on the towing vehicle before you pick up the trailer. I think if you go to U-Haul they have a little device you can plug in to test it. You'll also want some ratchet tie-downs.

I'm not recommending that you do anything illegal. ...However, if it wasn't a super long ride to bring it home, I might take my chances with a few very important observations. Here in Massachusetts, the punishment for the first offense of driving an unregistered vehicle is a fine capped at $100, but driving an uninsured vehicle is a huge no-no. I would check the laws of all the states I'd be riding through when it comes to operating an unregistered vehicle, and make sure the bike was insured before picking it up.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:52 AM   #11
sopranos
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 (black)

I don't understand this... is the issue because its buying out of state?

Typically, you can just buy the vehicle (MC) with its current plates and you have 10 days to go to DMV within your state to get new plates and register it in your name (and title change, of course).

Why would you need to get your own new plates first? Cause its out of state?
sopranos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:50 PM   #12
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

If it's a private sale, the person selling the vehicle might not have it registered, in which case there is no plate to ride away with. That was what happened with my bike. My options were either ride it unregistered, leave it with the seller until I got it registered, or transport it home. I had no riding experience and bought the bike many miles from home, so I chose door number three.
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:54 PM   #13
WhiteRice
Kamikaze Squirrel

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r

Rent a uhaul pick up truck, get a ramp, strap it down.
WhiteRice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:23 PM   #14
Magz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

+1 to the U-Haul trailer. It's only around $30 to rent one for the day (after getting the insurance) and it'll save you a lot of hassle and potential legal trouble.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM   #15
mholme
ninjette.org member

Name: Marques

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '06 636

I rented a U-Haul 14ft truck with a ramp. 19.95 plus .99 cents a mile and returning it full of gas. It cost me about 60 bucks when all said and done.
mholme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:12 AM   #16
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

I think you're over thinking the issue. You can either buy it and ride it home, then jump through the DMV hoops, or you can buy it and trailer it home and then jump through the DMV hoops. In the off chance you get pulled over while riding it home after just buying it, the chances of you being cited for anything other than what you got pulled over for would be slim. Personally, I always trailer used bikes home, regardless of how "well maintained" the bike has been. It odesn't see road use until I've gone over every inch and am satisfied that it's safe. JMO.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:12 AM   #17
key3thermal
ninjette.org member

Name: Wajeeh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r Blue

i paid the seller for gas and he transported it to my house in the back of his pick up truck.
key3thermal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:29 AM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
It odesn't see road use until I've gone over every inch and am satisfied that it's safe. JMO.
this.... trust is earned not freely given
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM   #19
DreamN
Beer Me!

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 Car(s): '09 Cube, '93 240SX (Coupe & 'Vert)

I agree with the renting of a U-Haul trailer. No need to rent a truck though as I'm sure you or a friend of yours has a truck or SUV that would be willing to help you out. Cheap, convenient, and best of all legal.
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 01:42 PM   #20
Hopmix
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 11 CBR250R

you don't need plates to have the insurance company issue a binder do you? just the Vin.
Hopmix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:51 PM   #21
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Depends on your car. I know my car can't tow worth of **** and would take some modifications to hook up a towing bar and ball.

You could rent a U-Haul pickup truck and buy some ties for it and return the ties after you're done.

That's how us poor college students rent stuff that otherwise can't be rented out, for free!
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 03:32 PM   #22
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2ride View Post
Wouldn't it be better to just rent a trailer / u-haul?
I think a U-Haul moto trailer is something like $15 a day - really cheap.

For PA both the seller and the buyer have to have the title notarized in order to transfer it. My house was only two or three miles away from the notary, so he just rode it there.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #23
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

This same "catch 22" exists for new bike sales.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopmix View Post
you don't need plates to have the insurance company issue a binder do you? just the Vin.
That's all I needed. I got a binder from the insurance co and took it to the DDS ("Dept of Driver Services; GA's stupid new name for the DMV in 2008) and got a temporary 3-day tag in GA. I then purchased the bike new in VA. I then rode it to WV and then home to GA the next day with the paper temp tag in place from GA. I then got proper insurance and took it to the DDS the next weekday morning to get my permanent plates and pay my tax, tag, and title fees (about $400 because they even taxed the dealer's $200 "set up fee").
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #24
Matz
is stunning! ;)

Name: Matz

Motorcycle(s): CBR600 FS2, XT350

I had to find a way to get my one home 2 weeks ago, went around begging for a bike trailer!
In the end my mum showed up with one on the the back the car and told me it was an early birthday present
Matz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #25
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matz View Post
I had to find a way to get my one home 2 weeks ago, went around begging for a bike trailer!
In the end my mum showed up with one on the the back the car and told me it was an early birthday present
Aww. That's what mum's are for
akima is offline   Reply With Quote