ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 7th, 2014, 05:54 AM   #1
Datn
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Naz

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250r black/red

Post I "w"recklessly bought a motorcycle

TL;DR CHECK OUT MAH BIKE Y'ALL PICS N' STUFF!

For the past two years I've been looking at motorcycles, and on February 26th of this year I said "bump it man, I'm buying one of em' Kawasaki's on craigslist". And so I did, without telling anyone but a friend who went with me who is an experienced rider. I showed up and got all googly eyed and bought the bike after my buddy test drove it for about 10 minutes and said it was running fine. I bought the bike for $2,200.00 the previous owner said the fairings had scratches, and the front turn signals were missing and that the gear-shifter was dented.

I thought $2,200.00 was an awesome price until: I decided to remove those aesthetic monster stickers on the front cowl where the side fairings meet. It was actually hiding a hole about 2½" in. in diameter, and upon further inspection I noticed the tank was slightly dented (couldn't really be seen only felt, I realized this when I rested my hands on the tank). I also noticed that the low beams didn't work, only the high beams (I don’t know how we missed that one), and that the fairing by the seat has some strange blue-purple mark on it that leeched slightly into the tail light (you have to look closely). The clutch lever feels like it has some slack if I push it out it can expend further than its resting position. And last but not least the turn signals in the back don’t blink and I was not given an owner’s manual.

I’m probably not going to buy new fairings, I will attempt to fix the gear-shifter and re-do the clutch lever, install the turning signals I bought, and try to fix the lights problem.

Today, I’m changing the oil and filter (oil: Shell Rotella t6 5w40 filter: K&N 401), and during spring break (starts Monday!) I’ll be adjusting the valves, lubing the chain and browsing this awesome forum that I’ve been lurking on and learning from.

What does everyone think though, did I still come out ahead at $2,200.00 or no?

And below are pics of the bike, I haven’t registered it yet I’ve only transferred the title I’m waiting until the 25th of March so I don’t have to buy 2 license plates.

CLICK ME TO GO TO THE PHOTO GALLERY (FLICKR) Sorry bout all the bokeh style shots.

I think my title is a little clever.

Last futzed with by Datn; March 7th, 2014 at 06:01 AM. Reason: added TL;DR
Datn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:09 AM   #2
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

I would say no, you didn't get a good deal. Mine was $2550 and that was with $1400 in mods already installed and it was babied to death the only damage was to a frame slider and a few tiny scratches on the right side. As far as your clutch lever being able to go forward from resting, thats normal. And you can adjust the clutch later if you want.

I'm not saying all the damage by itself merits a cheaper bike, but it speaks loads about the owner and how well the bike was taken care of. There could be more problems, internally, that aren't obvious right now.

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:10 AM   #3
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Usually being a first time purchaser, I can understand the feeling of just being excited to get the first thing that comes up. Always take your time, you should never feel pressured to move the sale along, the longer you look at something and become familiar with it the more you notice imperfections. Also it may help the price if the seller notices you are sizing everything up. Take this as a chance to get even more familiar with the mechanics of your bike.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:13 AM   #4
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
Usually being a first time purchaser, I can understand the feeling of just being excited to get the first thing that comes up. Always take your time, you should never feel pressured to move the sale along, the longer you look at something and become familiar with it the more you notice imperfections. Also it may help the price if the seller notices you are sizing everything up. Take this as a chance to get even more familiar with the mechanics of your bike.

Also here is a good guide on buying a motorcycle.
http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:15 AM   #5
Datn
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Yeah that's true, I suppose bringing my buddy with me didn't keep me from being googly eyed. I was actually rushing myself at the time because I had to be in Chicago for a few days it had the lowest price tag on craigslist that I've seen in a while so I dipped my feet in the water too early I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes92 View Post
I would say no, you didn't get a good deal. Mine was $2550 and that was with $1400 in mods already installed and it was babied to death the only damage was to a frame slider and a few tiny scratches on the right side. As far as your clutch lever being able to go forward from resting, thats normal. And you can adjust the clutch later if you want.

I'm not saying all the damage by itself merits a cheaper bike, but it speaks loads about the owner and how well the bike was taken care of. There could be more problems, internally, that aren't obvious right now.
That's good to know, I feared I'd have to put a little more work into that clutch lever.

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:24 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Looks for your area, you got a somewhat fair shake. A bit of math in my head, and maybe the seller took the price of repairs off the going rate of the used market value for FL. And don't forget, it's almost spring (income tax time too)... seller's market right now. Will you come out ahead? Should be pretty close though.

If you're happy, that is all that matters. It don't matter if you paid $1 or $10,000. Apply TLC as needed and ride on!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:27 AM   #7
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datn View Post
Yeah that's true, I suppose bringing my buddy with me didn't keep me from being googly eyed. I was actually rushing myself at the time because I had to be in Chicago for a few days it had the lowest price tag on craigslist that I've seen in a while so I dipped my feet in the water too early I suppose.

That's good to know, I feared I'd have to put a little more work into that clutch lever.
I always think bringing another pair of eyes is a good idea, especially someone who has more experience.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:31 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Oh! Welcome to team red!

We are fast AND sexy.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:31 AM   #9
Datn
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Looks for your area, you got a somewhat fair shake. A bit of math in my head, and maybe the seller took the price of repairs off the going rate of the used market value for FL. And don't forget, it's spring... seller's market right now. Will you come out ahead? Should be pretty close though.

If your happy, that is all that matters. It don't matter if you paid $1 or $10,000. Apply TLC as needed and ride on!
I've taken it for a spin in the parking lot just behind my house and it feels mechanically sound. The guy was actually asking for $2,500. at first I pegged him down to $2,200. somehow. It was an awkward experience I asked a few questions he answered and I said how bout 21? he said he would do 22 and that was it. I'll be sure to use the site Sykes92 referenced next time I buy a used motorcycle.

Quote:
I always think bringing another pair of eyes is a good idea, especially someone who has more experience.
My buddy was actually experience though. Although he did start on a 2003 CBR 1000rr and was kind of a squid up until last year. He's never wrecked though (must be doing something right).

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #10
Datn
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Oh! Welcome to team red!

We are fast AND sexy.
Haha glad to be a part of the team

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #11
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
congrats! What year? how many miles?

Did you get a fair deal, sure $2200 for a decent in shape running street legal machine sounds like a good price to me
Did you come out ahead... You never come out "ahead" when buying any vehicle let alone a motorcycle, but on occasion with more rare vehicles they can be bought beat up and with lots of time and some money they can be sold for more but even then do you come out "ahead"

One thing about bikes and most other vehicles and mods are that they don't increase the value of the bike to everyone. Most people don't care about all the stupid **** you put on your bike so why should they pay extra for it on top of what have you compromised to make these mods fit and "work" when everything worked just fine stock.

For you to make any money on mods you need to cater your sell to a smaller more specific crowd that might actually be looking for some of the things you have done and even then it is touch and go. The ninja250 market is a tough market, Lots and lots of bikes out there, mostly entry level riders looking to buy. Typically they would rather buy a low mile dropped ninja for $2200 vs a mint bike with 7k miles and tasteful/useful mods for $2800

@Sykes92 $1400 in mods? what the hell is done to your bike?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #12
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Sounds like you got a decent deal. Most of the stuff you described is very minor and proably caused by the crash. The low beam is most likely just the bulb, easy enough to check. The damage to the fairing you were kinda aware of minus the hole which can be repaired. The blinker issue is probably just the missing blinker and will be fixed with your new blinkers installed. The gas tank dent might be able to be pushed out from the inside since it is not deep. The paint is not cracked and you stated it could not even be seen. Dent pullers are cheap and use hot glue and a screw device to pull up on the dented area without damaging the paint. Most of the issues (minus the fairings) should be easy fixes and the fairings can be fixed with a little effort and some paint. There is an adjustment screw up by the lever which can remove the play when properly adjusted and if you need a new cable they are not too much money either.

Sounds like you got a decent deal over all. You should be able to easily repair everything you mentioned with a little reading and some elbow grease. Don't be afraid to post question and you will get many ideas from members who have dealt with the same issues. Be sure to post pic of your progress.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #13
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

Congrats and welcome to the addiction! I would say, for you market and the time of year, you got a fair deal.

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #14
MR2Aaron
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I say it wasn't that bad a deal. You could have done better, also could have done way worse.

None of the issues you mentioned are that big of a problem. Get some turn signals from Ebay, investigate why the rears don't work (I'm guessing broken wiring and/or a fuse), adjust the clutch cable and you're in business.

The fairings are expensive, but not terribly difficult to replace. They can also be repaired, if you're handy. Hardest part of the process is painting them.

Edit: It sort of looks like the left handlebar may be bent as well. Does one side get closer to the tank when the bars are turned all the way than the other side does?
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #15
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

You didn't get a great deal, probably could have gotten it for a couple hundo less. But who gives a ****? You got a bike, now learn how to ride it, and have some god damn fun!!!!

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #16
Datn
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
congrats! What year? how many miles?

Did you get a fair deal, sure $2200 for a decent in shape running street legal machine sounds like a good price to me
Did you come out ahead... You never come out "ahead" when buying any vehicle let alone a motorcycle, but on occasion with more rare vehicles they can be bought beat up and with lots of time and some money they can be sold for more but even then do you come out "ahead"

One thing about bikes and most other vehicles and mods are that they don't increase the value of the bike to everyone. Most people don't care about all the stupid **** you put on your bike so why should they pay extra for it on top of what have you compromised to make these mods fit and "work" when everything worked just fine stock.

For you to make any money on mods you need to cater your sell to a smaller more specific crowd that might actually be looking for some of the things you have done and even then it is touch and go. The ninja250 market is a tough market, Lots and lots of bikes out there, mostly entry level riders looking to buy. Typically they would rather buy a low mile dropped ninja for $2200 vs a mint bike with 7k miles and tasteful/useful mods for $2800

10,000 miles on the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Sounds like you got a decent deal. Most of the stuff you described is very minor and proably caused by the crash. The low beam is most likely just the bulb, easy enough to check. The damage to the fairing you were kinda aware of minus the hole which can be repaired. The blinker issue is probably just the missing blinker and will be fixed with your new blinkers installed. The gas tank dent might be able to be pushed out from the inside since it is not deep. The paint is not cracked and you stated it could not even be seen. Dent pullers are cheap and use hot glue and a screw device to pull up on the dented area without damaging the paint. Most of the issues (minus the fairings) should be easy fixes and the fairings can be fixed with a little effort and some paint. There is an adjustment screw up by the lever which can remove the play when properly adjusted and if you need a new cable they are not too much money either.

Sounds like you got a decent deal over all. You should be able to easily repair everything you mentioned with a little reading and some elbow grease. Don't be afraid to post question and you will get many ideas from members who have dealt with the same issues. Be sure to post pic of your progress.
Turns out it was just the bulb, I went hardcore and got to fixing things since last I posted. and my blinkers BLINK all four of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Congrats and welcome to the addiction! I would say, for you market and the time of year, you got a fair deal.
Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
I say it wasn't that bad a deal. You could have done better, also could have done way worse.

None of the issues you mentioned are that big of a problem. Get some turn signals from Ebay, investigate why the rears don't work (I'm guessing broken wiring and/or a fuse), adjust the clutch cable and you're in business.

The fairings are expensive, but not terribly difficult to replace. They can also be repaired, if you're handy. Hardest part of the process is painting them.

Edit: It sort of looks like the left handlebar may be bent as well. Does one side get closer to the tank when the bars are turned all the way than the other side does?
Handle bars are not bent I'm not sure how it got dented maybe someone punched it or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
You didn't get a great deal, probably could have gotten it for a couple hundo less. But who gives a ****? You got a bike, now learn how to ride it, and have some god damn fun!!!!
I just completed some maintenance it's running smoother than last night! Had to place 60 bucks though to get everything where it's at. A couple of the fairing bolts were stripped so I'll need to order some I had to remove two via drill hard as hell. I'm considering doing one of those PDR with the glue sticks since it's kind small.

Old March 7th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #17
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

If you end up loving the bike then you got a great deal. With time you wont care whether you paid $2050 or $2200. Don't get hung up on it. And don't listen to the wolfs of wall street on here who think they got the best deal.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #18
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

^^ agreed. Our 250s seem to sell within $500 from nice to scratched. Maybe you could have waited and saved a couple hundred bucks but who cares, you have a bike NOW. Would you rather have waiting a month or two looking just to save $200? That's like 2 nights drinking.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 06:40 PM   #19
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Quote:
Well I haven't spent any money on mods myself (edit: I spent $75 on a seat mod from Spencer actually) haha. I've just purchased maintenance stuff. This is from the Craigslist post I purchased it from.
Quote:
"Mods:
-Extended Kawasaki Good Times Protection Plan Warranty until 2015. $300 (prorated)
-Wood Craft Clip-On Handlebars for more committed riding style but not uncomfortable. $180
-Yoshimura Rear set brackets to complement the wood craft clip-ons. $90
-Puig Smoke Racing windscreen. $90
-Laminar Lip Touring/winter windscreen. $100
-Shogun Frame Sliders $170
-Seat pad $35
-Phone/Gps Mount - $15
-Blue windscreen bolts $10
-Reflective Rim Tape $10

-Performance Mods:

HMF-Carbon Fiber Exhaust drops weight of the bike around 7lb -$350 +2.5 hp
Carb shimmed to remove the flat spots in the dynograph (particularly around 7k RPM) +.5hp
The Snorkel has been removed to decrease airflow restrictions and weight. +1.5 hp
Pipercorss Performance Air Filter $35 +1 hp
Engine Ice coolant (radiator has only been on once ever) $20
Brand new 15t sprocket installed 300 miles ago highly recommended for highway riding. (increases mpg, decreases engine rpm, increases acceleration due to having to shift less) 14t sprocket (great condition) will be included in the sale $15
Also included will be a new K&N oil filter $10"

Old March 7th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #20
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

I wouldn't say you got ripped off seeming that it is a 2012, but it looks like that guy tossed around the bike pretty well and carelessly. He also burned out that rear tire bad, you need to definitely replace it before you start riding due to safety since there's no tread left... It doesn't even look like usual wear, and since you didn't tell us the mileage I'm inferring he couldn't have done that in 1 or 2 years during riding seasons. Seems like he was doing burn outs for fun which is not especially a good thing.

I paid $2600 for my 08' 250 with around 3.1k miles from a dealer.

As for the scratches, it's all just exterior stuff, unless it's getting in the way like the plastic being cracked around the blinker (currently me) you don't need to replace, and just makes the bike look better imo
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #21
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
It's not a perfect world. Learn to ride, enjoy the bike, and take good care of it.

And welcome!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #22
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes92 View Post
Well I haven't spent any money on mods myself (edit: I spent $75 on a seat mod from Spencer actually) haha. I've just purchased maintenance stuff. This is from the Craigslist post I purchased it from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes92
"Mods:
-Extended Kawasaki Good Times Protection Plan Warranty until 2015. $300 (prorated)
-Wood Craft Clip-On Handlebars for more committed riding style but not uncomfortable. $180
-Yoshimura Rear set brackets to complement the wood craft clip-ons. $90
-Puig Smoke Racing windscreen. $90
-Laminar Lip Touring/winter windscreen. $100
-Shogun Frame Sliders $170
-Seat pad $35
-Phone/Gps Mount - $15
-Blue windscreen bolts $10
-Reflective Rim Tape $10

-Performance Mods:

HMF-Carbon Fiber Exhaust drops weight of the bike around 7lb -$350 +2.5 hp
Carb shimmed to remove the flat spots in the dynograph (particularly around 7k RPM) +.5hp
The Snorkel has been removed to decrease airflow restrictions and weight. +1.5 hp
Pipercorss Performance Air Filter $35 +1 hp
Engine Ice coolant (radiator has only been on once ever) $20
Brand new 15t sprocket installed 300 miles ago highly recommended for highway riding. (increases mpg, decreases engine rpm, increases acceleration due to having to shift less) 14t sprocket (great condition) will be included in the sale $15
Also included will be a new K&N oil filter $10"
i highlighted some of the better points of that guys clist post

But other than that if you got all the extras + stock take offs then you probably made out pretty good cuz you can actually sell them for cash. Those are the only mods in my book that may increase value slightly

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 08:11 PM   #23
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

grats on getting your first bike.

Dont forget to include the rear rotor and pads during your fixing spree. Looks like it's metal to metal contact now.

your friend really had no idea what to look for...
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #24
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Quote:
i highlighted some of the better points of that guys clist post

But other than that if you got all the extras + stock take offs then you probably made out pretty good cuz you can actually sell them for cash. Those are the only mods in my book that may increase value slightly
Haha yeah but the dude was trying to make the bike sound good

But yeah, I did get some of the stock parts with the bike so that was a nice bonus.

Rereading the thread, I'd say OP should have tried to haggle him down to $2,000 even. At least the could've helped him towards a new fairing or replacing the shifter lever.
Also, replace those tires ASAP. replace the brakes too for good measure.

Old March 8th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #25
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

+1 on the rear tyre & brake pads, they're both sunk.

Have a look at the chain slack too, looks to be sagging a little in the shifter pic, it should be 0.8-1.2 in.

Enjoy!
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #26
Gaige
ninjette.org member

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R SE

Gratz on the bike! I'd say the deal wasn't too bad, since most of it is cosmetic. Makes me appreciate my 2012 SE I picked up in December for $2500 with only 1,300 miles on it that much more though!
Gaige is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #27
Datn
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez12a View Post
grats on getting your first bike.

Dont forget to include the rear rotor and pads during your fixing spree. Looks like it's metal to metal contact now.

your friend really had no idea what to look for...
Yeah, I've been searching for some rear pads, and I think I'll go to a shop for the rear rotar. I found these pads not so sure if they're okay, I wonder if anyone can attest to the quality: Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
+1 on the rear tyre & brake pads, they're both sunk.

Have a look at the chain slack too, looks to be sagging a little in the shifter pic, it should be 0.8-1.2 in.

Enjoy!
I just checked it, I think it's the camera lens (18mm) that gives it kind of a fish-eye distortion making it look slacked

Old March 9th, 2014, 07:52 AM   #28
Whiskey

Quote:
Yeah, I've been searching for some rear pads, and I think I'll go to a shop for the rear rotar. I found these pads not so sure if they're okay, I wonder if anyone can attest to the quality: Amazon

I just checked it, I think it's the camera lens (18mm) that gives it kind of a fish-eye distortion making it look slacked
Don't think the rear disc is too bad, but the pads want changing ASAP. check the thickness of the disc, it has the minimum thickness stamped on it & and is probably well within its limits

Old March 9th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #29
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Quote:
I found these pads not so sure if they're okay, I wonder if anyone can attest to the quality: Amazon
Yeah those are more than likely junk. If there is one thing on your bike you don't want to cheap-out on, it's your brakes. Go with a better brand like EBC, Ferodo, or SBS.

Old March 9th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #30
ez12a
ninjette.org member

i have double H sintered pads from EBC. i've read somewhere that it might be too aggressive of a pad for the rear but i havent had any problems with it locking up my rear when i least expect it.

Old March 9th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #31
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

I bought mine new if that makes you feel any better, then changed everything lol. That clutch issue isn't an issue, they just do that. They also rattle at about 9k so don't freak out when you hear that. Also the low beam only comes on after the bike is running but you already changed the bulb and got it working so whatever. I wouldn't feel like I got ripped off for that, it's been down, everyone goes down. It's just plastic, that's what it's there for.

Change those tires though, they suck big time unless you like to skid both wheels to look cool (don't recommend it)

Plus chances are you'll at least tip it over a couple times anyway so don't loose too much sleep over the scratches, the odds are against you right now

Old March 9th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #32
Whiskey

Quote:
i have double H sintered pads from EBC. i've read somewhere that it might be too aggressive of a pad for the rear but i havent had any problems with it locking up my rear when i least expect it.
Obviously you don't stamp on the rear brake, the idiots who do find it locks up the rear... And it's got to be the pads fault... poor workmen & their tools

OP, I would never recommend organic pads for the front, EBC (or Carbone Lorraine/ Varsah) HH sintered are what you want there, depending on your preference & riding style organic pads may be ok for the rear. You want a smooth consistent squeeze on the brake lever, same as firing a pistol.

Personally I've EBC HH front & rear, as long as you don't grab/stomp the brakes they'll stop you with no problems. I've even done a 10 mile trip with no front brake (A piece of road debris destroyed the front disc which then destroyed the caliper 10 miles from home, my way home was along the highway & then across a city with 1/2 million residents & a **** load of hills)

Old March 9th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #33
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
TL;DR
I've been noticing an increase in redditor sightings in these parts lately.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #34
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

In places like CA and FL the used bike market is hotter. I think $2.2K was a deal if it runs fine. Get the signals replaced though.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #35
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
In places like CA and FL the used bike market is hotter. I think $2.2K was a deal if it runs fine. Get the signals replaced though.
yeah.. you would be hard pressed to find a 08+ ninja 250 in good condition under $3k here in socal.

Old March 12th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #36
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
yeah.. you would be hard pressed to find a 08+ ninja 250 in good condition under $3k here in socal.
I'll sell you one for $10K
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote