ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old February 23rd, 2015, 03:16 PM   #41
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
although it's not really in our price range, try a 1911, or .45 ACP as well...

Definitely give a .357 revolver a try with .357 and .38.

I'm a fan of the Diamondback DB9. It's super thin, easy to conceal, cheap, no safeties and nearly indestructible. 9mm.

As a first gun, I'd think long and hard about a .22 pistol. People do say a .22 doesn't have enough power, but I disagree... Then again, most people say a 250 doesn't have enough power, but I disagree...

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2015, 03:33 PM   #42
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
So much fail in so many ways.

As a police officer, you'd think he'll know the 4 cardinal rules of gun safety.

As a gun shop employee, what on earth were they thinking when they put a loaded magazine in a gun, in the display case?!
I've had a friend hand me a loaded gun thinking it was empty. I jacked the slide open and spit out the chambered round, landing on a glass table with a loud crack. He jumped. Imagine if I had let a round off!

He was ex-military also.

It's always loaded...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2015, 03:41 PM   #43
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
(SNIP)
Think about this for a moment. I have family members in the military. It's all fun and games when you're at the range slowly squeezing the trigger, concentrating on trigger control and your breathing while aiming at a motionless target. But my military friend told me to try to get my adrenaline pumping before my next magazine. Did a few burpees, push ups, etc.

I was shocked to see my grouping. All over the place!!! I'm just not skilled enough to handle a stressful situation like a home invasion, car jacking or bank robbery. I don't want to put an innocent person's life on the line if I miss.
This is the exact thing I point out all the time when talking about emergency braking.

Doing your complex emergency braking procedures in a parking lot, at will, is not the same as needing to do it when surprised, in a hurry, and under stress. Your ability to use your fine motor skills change when under the influence of adrenaline and confronted with fear. You may have poor control or even freeze if you react with panic.

That's why I say keep it simple.

Old February 23rd, 2015, 04:59 PM   #44
Alchemist
Crash Test Dummy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): none (at the moment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I've had a friend hand me a loaded gun thinking it was empty. I jacked the slide open and spit out the chambered round, landing on a glass table with a loud crack. He jumped. Imagine if I had let a round off!

He was ex-military also.

It's always loaded...
It's also why I check every gun I pick up, even if I just set it down myself.

@cadd, your post reminds me of the adage about knife fights; what's the best way to win one? Run.

I like Glocks. But whatever you get, you need to be proficient with. Jkv's analogy about emergency braking is right on the money.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2015, 05:06 PM   #45
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Years ago, I had some would-be thieves kick in my front door very late one night while I was alone in the house and in deep sleep. Apparently, they did some tentative door kicking and shined a flashlight through the windows before trying the front door again. The sound roused me and I saw the lights, but was groggy. In my stupor, I assumed the kicking noise was thunder and the lights were from an electric power company truck come to restore power from the thunder storm. Then they kicked in the front door and I heard laughing. I thought to myself, "Why are the power company employees laughing, and why can I hear them so well?"

I got out of bed and stumbled down the hall just in time to see someone making a bee line for the TV in the dark living room. Adrenaline pulsed through my body like I'd never experienced, and I was instantly, fully, awake. I wanted to lay hands on this guy and pull him apart limb by limb. I can't adequately express how strong that urge was, but it was extremely powerful. The only thing that stopped me was I had zero clothes on, and figured that could put me at a disadvantage in a close-up fight. I briefly thought about going back to the bedroom closet, getting my shotgun and loading it before returning to the living room. I decided against that option. Instead, I asked him in a very convincing, loud voice if he wanted to get his butt shot off or get out of my house.

He said "Yes sir!" and made a rapid, empty handed retreat the way he came in. I ran to the door and saw two people running down the street in opposite directions. I thought I recognized the guy in my house, a neighborhood teenager with an extensive rap sheet. The sheriff's office came out with a K-9 unit and tracked one of them to the house next to the young criminal's house. A few days later, this kid was walking down the street in front of my house while I was in the front yard. I'd let my dog, Doc, out, and he was very friendly. He was headed for the kid in hopes the kid would pet him. I said "Come here, Doc.", and the kid button hooked and came straight to me.

I knew I had him then, and asked if he realized how close he'd come to dying the other night. He hung his head and nodded yes. I asked if the other kid with him was the other perpetrator I'd seen. He told me there were two different kids with him that night. When he left, I called the detective that was investigating the case and they came out and arrested him. He had just reached the age where he was considered an adult in Louisiana, and he went to the adult lockup, not juvenile detention. They also got the names of the two juveniles that were with him.

In retrospect, I'm glad there was no gunfire, but I wished I had a loaded gun in my hands when I first saw the burglar. I would have ordered him to eat carpet, called the sheriff, and held him until they arrived. If he had tried to get away, there's no doubt I'd have cut him in half with the shotgun. I may have later regretted killing him, but in Louisiana would have been well within my rights. Heck, the deputies that came out that night said I'd have done them and the community a favor if I had. Not sure of the psychological impact it would have had on me, but that was far from my mind that night.

The young man died a few months later running from the law when he lost control of a vehicle he'd stolen. He obviously didn't learn much from the above experience.

FYI, inside a house, there is no need to load a shotgun with buckshot. Buckshot, even number four, the smallest, will pass through many sheets of drywall and several of stucco, and that can injure or kill family members in other rooms. Bird shot is lethal at close range. Back when lead shot was legal for hunting waterfowl, I was floating a river and came upon a large eight point deer against a steep bank in the river that appeared wounded (he had bloody bubbles coming out his nose, usually a sign of a lung shot). To put him out of his misery, I shot him broadside from about 25 feet away with number six lead shot. The shot passed through the ribs on his left side, went through all the internal organs, including the heart and lungs, and lodged against the opposite side body cavity. The shot spread was about 10-12 inches, and the effect was devastating. He made one small jump and dropped dead. Only later did I find that his wounds were from a pack of dogs, and they weren't life threatening.

Old February 23rd, 2015, 05:18 PM   #46
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
Definitely give a .357 revolver a try with .357 and .38.
Back when I was working, we carried K frame stainless S&W 357 revolvers. The rounds were .38 +P+ law enforcement rounds, which means it had quite a bit more power than regular .38 rounds. A fellow officer shot those rounds through his personal .38, and wound up damaging it as a result. I never had to shoot a human, (thankfully) but killed quite a few beavers and some smaller critters with it. The .38 round would have made anyone shot with it very uncomfortable!

In thousands of rounds shot through revolvers, I never had a jam or misfire. I can't say that for the 9mm pistol I carried for a few years.

Last futzed with by flitecontrol; February 24th, 2015 at 10:29 AM. Reason: clarification
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 05:57 PM   #47
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
As a first gun, I'd think long and hard about a .22 pistol. People do say a .22 doesn't have enough power, but I disagree... Then again, most people say a 250 doesn't have enough power, but I disagree...
I completely agree. I have a Ruger SR22. It's a double/single action semi auto pistol. Rim fire (so dry firing isn't encouraged). Extremely light. Extremely small and thin. Cones with 2 sizes for grip. And very easy to shoot without any (much) recoil. Ammo is dirt cheap compared to other calibers. And I'm a better shot with it than my glock. Maybe that's because I much 3x more rounds down range compared to my other firearms (thanks to affordable ammo).

Field stripping it for cleaning is easy as well (same can be said about Glocks). It's a joy to shoot.
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2015, 06:02 PM   #48
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Not to go off topic, do you right handed shooters have a "low-left" issue?

I've improved tremendously, but still have a slight problem with low left.

I use snap caps in the range. When I load my magazines, I scatter 4 or 5 snap caps on the table and load the magazine without looking. This way, when I fire, I can see if I "flinch" and anticipate the recoil when the dud is in the chamber. Besides, it's a nice little practice to simulate a stove pipe or a jam...forcing me to clear the gun instinctively w/o thinking about it much.

For those of you who had a low left issue and found a solution, care to share your method?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 23rd, 2015, 06:36 PM   #49
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Lots of good info and conversations here. Thanks everybody. Seems like a couple more trips to the range are in my future before deciding on which gun to buy. I'll see if they have a few Glocks that I can rent and whatever else they can recommend to shoot.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2015, 07:44 PM   #50
Alchemist
Crash Test Dummy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): none (at the moment)

Quote:

I use snap caps in the range. When I load my magazines, I scatter 4 or 5 snap caps on the table and load the magazine without looking. This way, when I fire, I can see if I "flinch" and anticipate the recoil when the dud is in the chamber. Besides, it's a nice little practice to simulate a stove pipe or a jam...forcing me to clear the gun instinctively w/o thinking about it much.

For those of you who had a low left issue and found a solution, care to share your method?
Not low-left specific, but for flinching in general, dryfire, dryfire, dryfire. For the heavier recoiling arms, dryfire until it all goes away, then keep going until the way you shoot with no round chambered dominates your habit.

Saturday I had this issue with a rifle and I probably dryfired 10-20 times for each round fired.

The snap caps are a great idea as well; they show you what you do when you stop paying attention. If feasible load with more of them than live, or have a friend single load mags, randomly deciding whether you get snap cap or live round.

Also... If you're hitting low, focus on your grip, specifically middle and ring fingers. Added pressure there can pull the barrel down (depends on your grip, the firearm, and some other things). Just something to look at.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:58 PM   #51
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Anyone interested in incorporating a show & tell? I'm always intrigued to know why you choose to own a particular model.

If it's against the rules of this forum (pictures of guns), please let me know and I'll take them down.

Glock 19 Gen4

Ruger SR22 (.22 pistol), Glock 19 pistol, Ruger 10/22 take-down rifle, and 2 mysterious rifles.

9mm vs 22LR size difference.

Old February 23rd, 2015, 09:07 PM   #52
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
The one thing I can do without thinking, that I've done literally 20,000 times... I failed to do.
And for those of us who aren't military or Leo, we always have our eyes and ears on at the range.

I'm pretty sure I'll be discombobulated after the first round. A small bedroom with 4 walls, no ear protection. I'm sure my ears will be ringing. And if I'm in my pitch black bedroom (which I would love to be in....I know my way around my room, he doesn't), the muzzle flash may hinder my "night vision" after that first round.

So....there goes two of my senses immediately after that first round.

Old February 24th, 2015, 02:46 AM   #53
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

When I was in law enforcement, we always wore ear and eye protection at the range. At the time, I was carrying a 9mm pistol that I had fired several times without ear protection. One day I wasn't carrying and needed to dispatch an injured deer. I borrowed a .357, which I had never fired before, from a guy with another agency. When the gun went off, I wasn't sure who had been hurt worse, the deer or me! This was outside, and that round in the relatively short barreled revolver was deafening!

Had it been a life or death situation, I doubt the noise would have been much of a factor. Adrenaline would help keep you focused on the threat.

Old February 24th, 2015, 08:08 AM   #54
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:

Typically, I would say that's caused by squeezing your grip as you are squeezing the trigger or flinching/snatching the shot.

The grip needs to be consistent, with pressure on the front and back of the grip only. Finger tips should not be pressing on the grips.

Trigger should be placed in the center of the finger, and always moved directly to the rear. Any side motion during trigger release will direct the shot off target. Get your hand up into the grip as far as possible, and be sure to have your wrist straight and in-line with the gun (not turned to one side or the other).

Dry-firing will help you. Better is shooting airguns. You can't get away with anything when shooting an airgun, and you can see any issues much easier because they are not covered by recoil.

Old February 24th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #55
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I am ready!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flip.flop.holster.jpg (52.8 KB, 2 views)
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2015, 09:54 AM   #56
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Dry-firing will help you. Better is shooting airguns. You can't get away with anything when shooting an airgun, and you can see any issues much easier because they are not covered by recoil.
I prefer .22s to airguns to diagnose and correct a flinch. Mostly b/c most airguns I've shot have terrible triggers.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #57
monjorrow
ninjette.org member

Name: monjorrow

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Versys, 2000 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I prefer .22s to airguns to diagnose and correct a flinch. Mostly b/c most airguns I've shot have terrible triggers.
Thats the best part. If you go buy a cheap co2 bb gun with a horrible trigger, and learn to shoot it well you will be able to shoot almost any real firearm well.
monjorrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2015, 10:04 AM   #58
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
For me, the solution was in my grip. My hands were rotated too far to the right of the handgrip, causing too much of my trigger finger to lie over the trigger (also making it uncomfortable to just move the finger out so that I was only squeezing the trigger with the pad of my index finger). Make sure you grip then pistol in such a way that the backstrap rests right in the meat of the space between the thumb and index finger. When gripped correctly, your thumbs should not be used to steady the gun at all, but should be able to move "freely" so as to be able to operate the controls (safety, slide/mag release, etc.) and the pad of your index finger should fall comfortably over the trigger. In addition to helping me with my "low-left" problem, this also made it much more comfortable to shoot since it slightly lowered the bore axis compared to how I used to shoot, reducing muzzle flip; you should watch out for the occasional instance of slide bite, though.

Old February 24th, 2015, 11:32 AM   #59
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
For me, the solution was in my grip. My hands were rotated too far to the right of the handgrip, causing too much of my trigger finger to lie over the trigger. Make sure you grip then pistol in such a way that the backstrap rests right in the meat of the space between the thumb and index finger.
This.

Thing is, the "backstrap in the space between thumb and index" advice, which is often heard and totally valid, leaves room for interpretation. You can rotate the gun quite a bit in either direction while still obeying that advice. I had thought I was doing it right, but later found that rotating as described above (i.e. pointing the muzzle more to the left relative to your hand, when seen from above) worked very well.

Try putting the centerline of the backstrap next to, not on, the fleshy part of your palm. In the crease where your lifeline is.

Your thumb should be able to operate the mag release without moving your hand.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2015, 12:03 PM   #60
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
You should try an Olympic-level 10M airgun like a Steyr or Feinwerkbau some time.

You won't believe the trigger. Most Morini airguns use an electronic trigger, which has a completely different feel - some like it some don't.

Trigger weight is 500 grams - which ain't much. Really though, a terrible trigger just makes you work harder to get a good shot, but you still should be able to see your mistakes better without the recoil of a firearm.

Some airguns even have recoil-absorbers, which make even the slightest movement obvious when you release the trigger.

My .45 competition scores improved after I started shooting 10M air pistol.

Old February 24th, 2015, 12:29 PM   #61
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I don't know if practicing with a known terrible trigger is a great advice since you have to "work harder". You could also be working to correct flaws that a decent trigger won't have.

As I said before the triggers I've used on airguns...I haven't spent any time around ~1500+ airguns so I don't know what those triggers feel like.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #62
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I was a competitive smallbore rifle shooter in my youth. Still have the rifle... Olympic quality.

The trigger is not to be believed. Think and it goes.

I've also shot smallbore pistol. Ditto.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #63
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
I do! Everything else everybody said, +:

I found it very helpful to retrain myself to isolate my trigger finger. I used to squeeze the trigger by compressing my index finger to the thumb web, which caused the entire hand to tighten up and threw off my aim, even though I didn't jump with snap caps.

Surprisingly, the revolver helped a lot with this. Put 6 snapcaps in and practiced pulling back with just the trigger finger. So, forearm, wrist and all 4 fingers locked, with just the trigger finger pulling back.

I don't know how else to explain it. Hope this helps.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #64
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
I don't know if practicing with a known terrible trigger is a great advice since you have to "work harder". You could also be working to correct flaws that a decent trigger won't have.

As I said before the triggers I've used on airguns...I haven't spent any time around ~1500+ airguns so I don't know what those triggers feel like.
An airgun with a poor trigger will still tell you more about what you are doing as the shot breaks than a firearm. Each gun, of any type, has its own trigger characteristics - so you need to be able to adapt.

Butter...

Old February 24th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #65
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
you want to work on flinch, practice with a flintlock muzzle loader

that will teach you discipline real quick

For @cadd

here is link to older gun thread that has some pictures in it from some members
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...highlight=guns

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Last futzed with by subxero; March 2nd, 2015 at 07:08 AM.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2015, 04:00 PM   #66
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

great thread! I don't shoot much now but I have several handguns: Ruger MarkI .22 semi-auto, Ruger SP101 .357 revolver and a Colt 1991 A1 .45 semi-auto. I also have 2 .177 cal. airguns and a .44 cal. black powder cap and ball revolver ( 1860 Colt Navy ). Great fun to shoot!!!

The right of law-abiding citizens to own firearms in my opinion is one of our most valuable rights granted by our constitution. Taking guns away from honest people just makes them vulnerable to the criminals and to an over-reaching government.

Old March 2nd, 2015, 08:47 AM   #67
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I sold my CZ75b the other day, awesome gun but I just didn't see a reason to keep it laying around. It was primarily my target/range gun and I don't have a whole lot of money to waste right now slinging lead at the range. Obviously didn't get a ton for it but the money will be well spent else where

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2015, 01:47 PM   #68
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

I'm going to go very far afield here but one of the things you can do to work on trigger pull is make wax loads.

with straight cases (.38/.357 - 9mm - .44 Mag - .45ACP) simply replace the primer in a spent cartridge (can be done with minimal reloading equipment) and then melt wax in a pie pan until you have about 3/4 to an inch thick. Push the case into the wax so that a plug of wax is cut and inside the case.

now you can fire single rounds in a basement or garage into a backstop of a cardboard box with a phone book inside. The wax won't ricochet, penetrate, or be a problem and the noise is about that of clapping your hands. Inside a closed garage or basement, should barely be able to be heard.

this allows you to practice with your weapon, your trigger, your sights, exactly as you would fire it, for about $0.02 a round or less.

it will not operate slides or actions so for automatics you must load a single round at a time (practice your reload skills too, drop an empty mag, slap the new one home, with out looking or getting things messed up.)
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #69
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
I'm old school, got to go with 45ACP COMMANDER, OR OFFICERS styles, I had a LLAMA for a few years that was surprisingly good, it was a commander with double stack clips. If your a Glock person then model 36

In a wheel gun, 357 magnum, I had a Ruger GP100 4" stainless, I loved that gun.

Keep in mind this is my personal choice for defense proposes.

For just putting holes in things/target shooting back before the 22 LR madness, the Ruger 22 pistol in the Government Model configuration, or the timeless classic 10/22 rifle. I'm old, so I remember paying less than $10 for a brick of 22s and yes it was 500 rounds.

I've had a lot of guns over the years, and it really depends on the intended use of said gun is going to be determines the type.

My current carry is a Springfield 1911 full size, I got a awesome deal on it.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2015, 10:11 AM   #70
Rifleman
Old and slow

an amazing follow up to my "wax bullet" post above.

1. the cowboy shooting association offers a kit with precast .45 cal bullets made of wax and polymer.

2. case primer pockets are drilled out to the point the primers fall in and out.

ok, not so happy about the primer pocket being totally drilled. If I were to do it I'd drill them half way or something so that you still have a little "bite" on that primer when seated. Besides you can't drill them through, there must be a bottom to the pocket for the 'anvil' part of the primer to seat against. But you could clean that pocket up until it was just a tiny friction fit and could be popped out with just the de-priming rod and your hand, no press needed.

and holy crap, this guy is using foam ear plugs... and REUSING them.

this is my new .44 mag practice in the basement set up.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #71
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Pretty cool! And clever.

Good idea to use the foamy earplug several times. Wouldn't be cool to use them as ear plugs after using them as a bullet, though...

Much better than using the hard plastic bullets with primers-only like we did 30+ years ago.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #72
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Just An Update

I ended up getting a Springfield XDS 9mm last month. They had a great promotion going on where you got an additional 3 magazines and magazine holder with the purchase of a single stack gun. It was the best bang for the buck too!

Took the TN Hangdun carry class today so I am one step closer to being able to carry. Need to work on my trigger pulls. Ordered some snap caps today to practice dry firing. I saw there were some good tips for this in the previous posts.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2015, 11:07 AM   #73
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:

Low left is very common with Glock shooters.

Practice trigger control. Do tons of dry firing drills. Balance a coin on the slide and pull the trigger without the coin falling off.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2015, 11:18 AM   #74
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
You are shooting the wrong airguns.

These have very nice triggers:

Old September 21st, 2015, 11:43 AM   #75
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
The trigger on an airgun MUST be really good. If not then you will not have accuracy no matter what the rest is like.

What ever you end up with there is a replica in air soft. the gun will be an exact copy. Weight and trigger will be very close . The newest training all use air soft.

But for carry piece. I have carried them all. I have an officers .45 ACP. Bit tho one gun I wish I still had is a Walther PPK. Just like James Bond

Old September 21st, 2015, 03:09 PM   #76
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Anschutz AR for the win.

Our junior club has 6 of them. Great guns.

For air pistols, we are using junior versions of the Steyr LP-10s - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_LP_10.

If you can shoot either one of those guns accurately - you can shoot anything.

Old September 21st, 2015, 04:59 PM   #77
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Anschutz AR for the win.

Our junior club has 6 of them. Great guns.

For air pistols, we are using junior versions of the Steyr LP-10s - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_LP_10.

If you can shoot either one of those guns accurately - you can shoot anything.
Our club guns are FWB P70 and P700 we have about a dozen of them.

We just built a new 25 point air gun range.

Old September 21st, 2015, 06:48 PM   #78
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I sold all my powder burners to race . Except the Colt45ACP. But I love airguns.

I shoot almost everyday.
I am going to the US Field target nationals this year. I shoot a tuned TX200mk3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (116.9 KB, 6 views)

Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:20 AM   #79
Rifleman
Old and slow

picked up a Ruger SR22 yesterday. nice .22LR with a bit of real weapon size to it.
all my other .22's are tiny little things.

Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:51 AM   #80
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
My wife has a Smith and Wesson 2206. It is a really nice piece. If I was to get a 22 pistol I've always wanted a Smith and Wesson model 41