ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 8th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #1
itslocfoo
ninjette.org member

Name: Loc

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Brand New Battery? what to do?

i just got a brand new battery, i took it to the nearest auto shop to charge it cause i don't have a charger. However, after dumping everything in the battery, I told them not to close the top because most people told me not to until its fully or done charging. They insist on closing it and making it more safe for the worker. So I closed it and handle it over so they could charge it. before i left he said i have been charging numerous battery and i never leave it open. I didn't know what to say except took his word for it.

What's going to happen to my battery? any tips?
i know that most people dont close the battery during first charge.
itslocfoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Ummm.... If I was a bettin' man, I would have to go with, nothing is going to happen. Your battery should be just fine.

Did you read the initial charge instructions that came with your battery? A lot now say to button it all up at wait 30 mins. before the first charge.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Oh, get a battery tender/maintainer too!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #4
Nate513151
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

is a battery tender really needed if you ride the bike everyday and your battery is new?

Old January 7th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yes. Always a good idea to have a battery charger. Also a good idea to charge a new battery.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #6
Nate513151
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Yes. Always a good idea to have a battery charger. Also a good idea to charge a new battery.
I bought my battery over a month ago from local kawi dealership and they did the charging on it and I had to go back and pick it up.. Reason I asked is because I asked them about a tender and they made it seem like if it was getting rode everyday I was wasting my money.. Sure don't want to have to buy another battery anytime soon lol

Old January 7th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah you'll likely be just fine. But what happens the day you leave the key in and the headlight on? Or what happens if your R/R kicks the bucket and leaves you with an uncharged battery? What if it pours and water gets in your gas tank and you kill your battery cranking the engine because there's water in the float bowls?

For $20, I see no reason not to own a basic battery tender. It's good peace of mind.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 7th, 2014, 08:40 PM   #8
tc.young
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): '89 klr 650, '00 250r

it should be closed. if it is a standard battery, the acid will just go out of the overflow tube. if it is sealed, then it doesn't matter. either way the acid should be closed off when charging as it bubbles, etc.
tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2014, 03:54 AM   #9
Midnight_tinkerer
ninjette.org member

Name: Glenn

Motorcycle(s): GPX250, ZZR250, CT90

In the instructions for most MF or Maintenance Free batteries, it usually says to insert acid bottle and then leave for 30 - 45 minutes, for the acid to fill & soak in to the plates. Then you seal it and charge it. If you put them on charge too soon after filling with acid, they will sometimes not accept any charge. MF batteries usually have a pressure relief valve that will vent any excessive gas pressure build up. MF batteries have a measured amount of acid in the bottles, which should last for the life of the battery. You really don't want to leave the cap off while charging an MF battery, as this would allow the water/acid to evaporate, and your not supposed to top them up with water. Technically you can prise the cap off again and top them up with water, which I have done successfully before, but this is not what the manufacturer intended.
Midnight_tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2014, 07:18 AM   #10
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

The reason for sealing the battery is while charging gases are released hydrogen and oxygen if for some reason there is a spark the battery will explode.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 8th, 2014, 08:05 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate513151 View Post
I bought my battery over a month ago from local kawi dealership and they did the charging on it and I had to go back and pick it up.. Reason I asked is because I asked them about a tender and they made it seem like if it was getting rode everyday I was wasting my money.. Sure don't want to have to buy another battery anytime soon lol
If you ride several miles everyday or several days each week, the battery will receive enough charge from the bike's generator.
The battery that came with my Ninjette has never seen a tender or charger and it is still strong.

The battery is small and it only accumulates certain amount of juice.
If your bike is hard to start and you have to use the starter (major juice's consumer, followed by the headlights) several times, then, your battery is over-stressing and you need either a long ride (15~20 miles) just after that or a morning on the charger in order to refill the little battery.

Running town's errands, with multiple start-ups and short distances produces the same effect, and a tender or charger is advisable in order to avoid inopportune surprises.

Cold temperatures slowdown the chemistry inside the battery, reducing its performance.
High vibrations and mechanical shocks make any battery unhappy.

A full battery is a happy battery.
Fast-deep depletion can twist the internal components and shorten its life or even render it useless.
Avoid those as much as possible and learn how to push-start your bike.

Cable connections need to be inspected regularly (monthly) and cleaned and tightened if needed; dirty and loose connections interfere with Amps' input (charging) as much as output (discharging).

More info here:
http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/artic...ry-basics.html
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #12
Nate513151
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
If you ride several miles everyday or several days each week, the battery will receive enough charge from the bike's generator.
The battery that came with my Ninjette has never seen a tender or charger and it is still strong.

The battery is small and it only accumulates certain amount of juice.
If your bike is hard to start and you have to use the starter (major juice's consumer, followed by the headlights) several times, then, your battery is over-stressing and you need either a long ride (15~20 miles) just after that or a morning on the charger in order to refill the little battery.

Running town's errands, with multiple start-ups and short distances produces the same effect, and a tender or charger is advisable in order to avoid inopportune surprises.

Cold temperatures slowdown the chemistry inside the battery, reducing its performance.
High vibrations and mechanical shocks make any battery unhappy.

A full battery is a happy battery.
Fast-deep depletion can twist the internal components and shorten its life or even render it useless.
Avoid those as much as possible and learn how to push-start your bike.

Cable connections need to be inspected regularly (monthly) and cleaned and tightened if needed; dirty and loose connections interfere with Amps' input (charging) as much as output (discharging).

More info here:
http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/artic...ry-basics.html
Thanks for all the info

Old January 8th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #13
Nate513151
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Yeah you'll likely be just fine. But what happens the day you leave the key in and the headlight on? Or what happens if your R/R kicks the bucket and leaves you with an uncharged battery? What if it pours and water gets in your gas tank and you kill your battery cranking the engine because there's water in the float bowls?

For $20, I see no reason not to own a basic battery tender. It's good peace of mind.
Thank you

Old January 8th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i have never before heard to leave a battery open while charging. im wondering where this info came from

Old January 8th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #15
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate513151 View Post
Thanks for all the info
You are welcome

A charger of low Amps (1~2 A) is a good thing to have for any emergency or for slowly recharging the battery during long periods of inactivity.

Higher charging Amps after the battery is too low, supplied either by a bigger charger or by the bike's generator, can damage the electrolyte and the internal plates due to overheating.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #16
Ish
ninjette.org member

Name: Ish

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001 KX125 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslocfoo View Post
i just got a brand new battery, i took it to the nearest auto shop to charge it cause i don't have a charger. However, after dumping everything in the battery, I told them not to close the top because most people told me not to until its fully or done charging. They insist on closing it and making it more safe for the worker. So I closed it and handle it over so they could charge it. before i left he said i have been charging numerous battery and i never leave it open. I didn't know what to say except took his word for it.

What's going to happen to my battery? any tips?
i know that most people dont close the battery during first charge.
Buy a batter tender/charger and let me borrow it whenever i need it.
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2014, 12:00 PM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Is a battery tender appropriate for the initial charge ("activation") of a new BS (bottle-supplied) battery? If so, do I just leave it on until charged or follow the charge time guidelines? I imagine those charge times at those amperages were intended for constant current chargers and not the smart tenders that vary their output, monitor the battery, switch to float, etc.

Plan to use a Schumacher XM1-5 if you guys think it's appropriate.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #18
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
.....Plan to use a Schumacher XM1-5 if you guys think it's appropriate.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Kawasaki recommends using a 1.5 Amp Automatic Charger. The Schumacher Model XM1-5 is a charger and maintainer.

Got one myself. Works great!
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.5 amp charger.JPG_thumb.png (143.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png 1.5 amp charger (5).JPG_thumb.png (169.0 KB, 0 views)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

They recommend that for activating a battery (sold dry) and not just charging?

Last futzed with by CZroe; June 10th, 2014 at 02:39 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #20
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
They recommend that for activating a battery (sold dry) and not just charging?
Yes, they recommend using a 1.5 Amp Automatic Charger for initial charging.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ninja250_08 Battery.pdf (78.8 KB, 2 views)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote