ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 12th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #641
c717905
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Black Ninja 250, 2009 Black ZX-6r

Thanks one more time kkim. I read and reread this thread along with your others about removing the fairings, gas tank, etc and from start to finish the entire process took about an hour and a half. I am not a person that likes to tinker with mechanical things too much and I have virtually no experience with repairing cars or motorcycles, but this was pretty easy. From my limited experince, I must say that shimming and removing the snorkel was a bit easier than removing/replacing the fender. Your instructions are spot on and extemely helpful. I was able to go through them with my iPad right in front of me as I was doing it and it was very simple and easy.

I have a Yoshi slip-on exhaust so I removed the snorkel, shimmed the carbs with 2 washers and everything seems to be functioning just as everyone has described. The throttle is much easier in the lower gears, especially starting out (honestly I really hadn't noticed that there was a problem until after it was fixed), and there seems to be a little more get up and go. Overall everything seems just a bit smoother and easier to ride.

If you have a couple of extra hours and want to tinker with your bike and make it more your own, I highly recommend this mod. It was great fun tearing it apart and putting it back together again.

Thanks once more for the write ups kkim. They are amazingly helpful.

Old October 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #642
kkim

Aaron,

with your setup, you might want to try adding one more washer for a total of 3 each on each needle, but if you're happy with the way it runs, enjoy it.

glad to help.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9465&
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #643
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

Name: Armando

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ct blue 250r,2011 black/red zx6r

hey guys,
well i attempted to do this today and the diy was spot on. thank u guys very much. I shimmed it with 2 3mm washers each and i removed the snorkel.

I have a HMF slip on coming my way so i decided to shim the needles while im waiting for the slip on. The bike runs great and sounds good, one thing i have a question on is when im sitting still and i rev the motor the rpm sort of floats before it goes back to idle. i remember reading somewhere when it does that its running rich. is that true?

Should I take a washer out? or will i be fine with my HMF slipon to even it out? the bike runs great other then that
thanks
p1noysta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #644
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1noysta View Post
hey guys,
well i attempted to do this today and the diy was spot on. thank u guys very much. I shimmed it with 2 3mm washers each and i removed the snorkel.

I have a HMF slip on coming my way so i decided to shim the needles while im waiting for the slip on. The bike runs great and sounds good, one thing i have a question on is when im sitting still and i rev the motor the rpm sort of floats before it goes back to idle. i remember reading somewhere when it does that its running rich. is that true?

Should I take a washer out? or will i be fine with my HMF slipon to even it out? the bike runs great other then that
thanks
that usually indicates the idle mixture is lean. add another washer and see if it helps.

Old October 18th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #645
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

Haha o sorry I got it mixed up. But how did I end up making it more lean then before? Is there anything else that could be wrong? So I been trying to figure it out and if I rev it slow it's ok but if a blip it fast that's when it floats

Old October 18th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #646
kkim

Quote:
But how did I end up making it more lean then before? Is there anything else that could be wrong?
you removed the snorkel, allowing more air, thus leaning the entire fuel mixture from idle to WOT.

you could also have a vacuum leak, but the bike would idle very badly if it did.

Old October 18th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #647
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

I tried 3 washer and now it sounds a little different like it's clicking or slurping and rpm still floats

Old October 18th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #648
kkim

Quote:
I tried 3 washer and now it sounds a little different like it's clicking or slurping and rpm still floats
it shouldn't click or slurp.

go back to 2 washers if the bike ran better w/ only 2.

are you sure you got all of the vacuum hoses connected back up and on correctly?

Old October 19th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #649
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

Hey guys well I'm still on 3 washers seeing maybe it work today and when I started the bike was dying so I give it a little gas to wait for it to warm up and it starts to idle fine I try playing with the choke or idle screw to make it idle at 1400 but after a few minutes the idle will raise. I think it was just warming up

Old October 19th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #650
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Yeah, use the chocke to warm it up, then mess witht he idle screw once its fully warmed
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #651
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

I did and it's idling pretty good but the rpm still floats after I rev it. Could it be running rich? With 3 washers and just the snorkel removed? Or could I have messed something up when putting everything back together? Like something in the carb I don't think I tore the diaphragm I was pretty careful

Old October 19th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #652
scotty

Did you recheck your work? I always duble check my work, but thats mostly because I forget stuff all the time lol. Is the shimming and snorkel removal the only mods you have done to your bike? I don't think you messed anything up. It sounds like you are running lean I belive.

Old October 19th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #653
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

Yea I'm going to re-check my work. But yea those r the only things I've done to my bike I have an hmf slip on coming in 3 days. It's weird I'm running lean cus I'm on 3 washers maybe my washers r thinner then everybody else? I got it from a hobby shack Dubro 3mm washers. If I was running lean wouldn't the exhaust pop or no?

Old October 19th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #654
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

Should I try 4 washers? Or too much for just my snorkel removed

Old October 20th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #655
kkim

Quote:
Yea I'm going to re-check my work. But yea those r the only things I've done to my bike I have an hmf slip on coming in 3 days. It's weird I'm running lean cus I'm on 3 washers maybe my washers r thinner then everybody else? I got it from a hobby shack Dubro 3mm washers. If I was running lean wouldn't the exhaust pop or no?
picture of your washers?

Old October 20th, 2010, 01:17 AM   #656
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
picture of your washers?

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 20th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #657
scotty

Lulz ^^^^^^

Old October 20th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #658
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I did this today and it was simple took me about 2 hours start to finish. 30 mins for fairings (off and on) 20 mins for gas tank(off and on) 15 mins to run to Cvs to get tweezers, 15mins to shim carbs, 10 mins trying to get washer out of diaprham, 30 mins looking for the screw/bolt i just had in hand.

Yea I am a mechanical retard but I shimmed it with 2 washers and removed the snorkel. Bike started right up when I was done and it idled for 10 mins, ramp up the throttle and rpms go up and come back down.

I didn't get a chance to ride it so I'll test ride it then but all is good. Thanks for the diy!

Ran the bike today and wow what a difference, rather then sluggish up to the Power band and a sharp drop off at the end of it i get a smoother more pep on my way up the the PB and the pull holds longer on the top end into redline. Best mod that cots all of like 5 bucks (less if you own tweezers) and improves the bike a lot. If you are on the fence about this just do it. Don't forget to ditch the snorkel either, you have it all apart all ready!

Last futzed with by Havok; October 21st, 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:57 PM   #659
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

Well my HMF slip on came today and installation was a pain the bracket was a little off but i got it like halfway on. I think my bike is running good now Im on 3 washers on each needle and snorkle removed and HMF slipon. I was having problems with the idle floating but i think its ok now.
Here is what i tried to take a picture of my washer to show the thickness its next to a dime but its blurrry. its lik half the thickness of a dime.

here is a picture of the needle and 3 washers stacked.

here is a video of my idle hopefully it works. I dont think i have a lean problem anymore tell me what you guys think.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:48 AM   #660
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Looks good to me... nothing is obviously off. If you like the way it performs, then congrats.... you got there relatively easily (well, at least compared to me).
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:26 AM   #661
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I'm afraid to ask this because it is probably a dumb question, but I plan to do this next week, so here goes.

Does this mod have any impact on state inspection? I'm thinking emissions.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:47 AM   #662
scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruevibe View Post
I'm afraid to ask this because it is probably a dumb question, but I plan to do this next week, so here goes.

I don't think so. As long you still have the OEM exhaust. Due to the Cats in the header.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:52 AM   #663
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruevibe View Post

do they do emissions checks on motorcycles there?

Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:01 PM   #664
WOTurtle
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250 ARRRRRR

How the HELL did you guys get the top right side screw out. All Im doing is farking it all up and getting EXTREMELY PISSED OFF.
Posted via Mobile Device
WOTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:04 PM   #665
scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTurtle View Post
How the HELL did you guys get the top right side screw out. All Im doing is farking it all up and getting EXTREMELY PISSED OFF.
Posted via Mobile Device
I used a 12 inch screw driver. It was a pain, I know the one your talking about. I would say take the carb off. It will be MUCH easier!!

Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:13 PM   #666
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTurtle View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
8 inch number 2 PH brand new from Home Depot and all mine cracked right off, I was one if the lucky ones though.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:22 PM   #667
WOTurtle
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250 ARRRRRR

I've got a 12 inch #2 and it rounded the head COMPLETELY out in one turn. I'm going to have to pull the carb to get it out. This bike is so simple, yet so frustrating.
Posted via Mobile Device
WOTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:48 PM   #668
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

Hey guys well I put the bike back together and rode around for a little with the hmf pipe snorkel removed and 3 washers. And when I let go of the gas I hear it backfire sometimes. Am I still running lean? Should I try 4 washers?

Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:53 PM   #669
scotty

No, when I had a slip on, it back fired some times too.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:01 PM   #670
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

O ok thanks so it's normal. And I'm running fine? Should I try that keen air removal

Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM   #671
scotty

I'd keep it on for now, or untill you ever want to upgrade to a full exhaust.

Old October 25th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #672
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

So when I'm riding the idle bounces from like 1400 to 1000 rpm when it's fully warm then when I blip the throttle it floats at 2000 rpm for like a second is it normal to have a rough idle?

Old October 25th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #673
scotty

Do you have everything hooked up rite? No vac leaks? Double check everything. I belive if the rpm hangs for a sec, that shows your running lean. I will have to double check though.

Old October 25th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #674
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

Yea I'm pretty sure it's hooked up it runs real good it's just like at idle it kind of bounces and when I blip it floats. I haven't had any other problems and the idle isn't that rough. You think adjusting the idle mixture screw would help?

Old October 26th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #675
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

Ok so i checked my work and everything was hooked up but one thing i found was that on my cali spec one of the 3 hoses that come from the tank that has gas in it had paint chips in it so i unplugged it and cleaned it out.
The idle is a little better but I think its still running lean i think with the rpm floating and it backfires sometimes not loud just when i release the throttle. I tried looking for the thickness of my washers but couldnt find it its like half the thickness of a dime from the picture. Has anybody tried 4 washer?.

Old October 26th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #676
kkim

Quote:
Ok so i checked my work and everything was hooked up but one thing i found was that on my cali spec one of the 3 hoses that come from the tank that has gas in it had paint chips in it so i unplugged it and cleaned it out.
The idle is a little better but I think its still running lean i think with the rpm floating and it backfires sometimes not loud just when i release the throttle. I tried looking for the thickness of my washers but couldnt find it its like half the thickness of a dime from the picture. Has anybody tried 4 washer?.
remove the Kleen system.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9948

Old October 26th, 2010, 07:35 PM   #677
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Everything sounds like you are running lean (at least at the bottom), and from what I've read, running lean at idle and low speed is all about the low speed mixture and has little to do with the needles. If you have the time and desire, you might try this:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10246
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #678
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

O ok thanks guys. I only have a slip on and the diy says only do the kleen removal when u have a full exhaust. Should I still try it?
Also I have been looking at adjusting my idle screw mixture thanks I will try to do it then

Old October 26th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #679
kkim

Quote:
O ok thanks guys. I only have a slip on and the diy says only do the kleen removal when u have a full exhaust. Should I still try it?
yes

Old November 1st, 2010, 07:38 PM   #680
p1noysta
ninjette.org member

Update thanks kkim I removed the kleen system had to do it alil different with my ca model but it works I get no backfire anymore.
Now it's to my floating rpm so I took the advice to adjust my idle mixture can't quite get to the right one but the left one I adjusted and it seemed like it helped alittle so I'll play with it some more.
I shouldn't be lean anymore right since it doesn't backfire? Will it still damage my engine if the idle is lean?