ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 3rd, 2015, 04:42 PM   #1
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

First time winterizing my '08 250r. A couple questions...

So this is my first ever motorcycle and due to the weather getting colder I think it is time to winterize her up. I am going to list below what I plan on doing and if I am missing anything crucial it would be great if you could give me tips!

- Change the oil and filter
- Fill the tank and add Stabil
- Take the bike around the block a few times to get the oil and stabil running
- Lube the chain
- Place bike on front and rear stands
- Apply battery tender

I do have a few questions though. I hear that you want to fill the gas tank all the way up, but should I leave some space for the stabil? Is an 8 o.z. bottle enough? How much do I add?

Also, is there a specific tool that is helpful for cleaning the chain? I have never done this before.

One last thing...should I keep the battery plugged into the bike while I have the tender plugged into it? My bike will be in my apartment so I won't have to worry about it getting cold.

Thanks!
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2015, 04:50 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
1oz treats 2½ gallons, so how much space you really need to save.
Specific chain cleaning tool? Naw, a grunge brush is pretty popular though. I buy my brushes from the dollar store.
Batteries let go of the stored energy faster when cold. If your bike is stored in a temp controlled environment, then there is no need to remove the battery. Although to save any flooring, do place a piece of cardboard in between the tires just in case something leaks.

With that list you have, looks like you're on your way to a trouble free spring.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2015, 05:01 PM   #3
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
1oz treats 2½ gallons, so how much space you really need to save.
Specific chain cleaning tool? Naw, a grunge brush is pretty popular though. I buy my brushes from the dollar store.
Batteries let go of the stored energy faster when cold. If your bike is stored in a temp controlled environment, then there is no need to remove the battery. Although to save any flooring, do place a piece of cardboard in between the tires just in case something leaks.

With that list you have, looks like you're on your way to a trouble free spring.
Ah yes! I will definitely put cardboard under! Thanks for the help!

Old November 3rd, 2015, 05:06 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Old November 3rd, 2015, 06:24 PM   #5
min nin
ninjette.org member

Name: terry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Stored in the house, I would drain the tank.
You don't really want all that gas where you live.
My 2007 owners manual suggests removing, draining, and coating the inside with motor oil to prevent rust.
min nin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2015, 07:12 PM   #6
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min nin View Post
Stored in the house, I would drain the tank.
You don't really want all that gas where you live.
My 2007 owners manual suggests removing, draining, and coating the inside with motor oil to prevent rust.
You think so? It's bad in what way?

Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:22 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

The gas tank will vent as the gas evaps, that is no doubt and will create a smell. Depending on the ventilation of your space, well... ya know.

Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:30 PM   #8
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The gas tank will vent as the gas evaps, that is no doubt and will create a smell. Depending on the ventilation of your space, well... ya know.
Oh jeez....I didn't think about that. Now I am not sure what to do.

Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:44 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdRatherDrum View Post
Oh jeez....I didn't think about that. Now I am not sure what to do.
Being indoors changes things greatly. I am sure the humidity in your place doesn't vary wildly from one extreme to another to worry about draining or nah. It's is the main reason for filling the tank in the first place.

The smell however... is on you.

Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:46 PM   #10
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Being indoors changes things greatly. I am sure the humidity in your place doesn't vary wildly from one extreme to another to worry about draining or nah. It's is the main reason for filling the tank in the first place.

The smell however... is on you.
I have read in a few places online that people don't smell gas normally. I do have a pretty small room. I am a bit worried about this but I guess I have no choice.

Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:49 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I have put my bike in hotel rooms with a full tank, I can smell it every now and then, but normally not. Last year when I stored my bike in the basement, I smelled nothing but the rubber from the tires, not gas.

Store it in a room with a running celine fan and all should be well.

Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:50 PM   #12
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I have put my bike in hotel rooms with a full tank, I can smell it every now and then, but normally not. Last year when I stored my bike in the basement, I smelled nothing but the rubber from the tires, not gas.

If it means I have to buy a fan then so be it. We will see how it goes. If it really stinks up the place, I will just keep a window open during the day and have a fan running at night.

Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:57 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Cool, let us know how it goes for you after the off season.

Old November 3rd, 2015, 09:05 PM   #14
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Cool, let us know how it goes for you after the off season.
Definitely. It will be interesting. Was trying to sell my bike before the season ended but no one is buying. Might upgrade to a supermoto or 600cc next season.

Old November 4th, 2015, 05:13 AM   #15
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Why not just drain the gas tank? If it is inside you do not need to worry about condensation building up so no rust worries.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2015, 05:26 AM   #16
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Why not just drain the gas tank? If it is inside you do not need to worry about condensation building up so no rust worries.
I keep the tank full for one very trivial reason:

On that first glorious spring day, all you really want to do is roll the bike outside and GO RIDE.

We all know the feeling.... "IT'S TIME."

Sure it doesn't take long to grab a can and head down to the gas station, but on that day, spring fever is in full force.

That's why a little time spent properly winterizing is such a good idea. Nothing sucks worse than feeling that overwhelming urge, pulling the bike out and... wha wha waaaaaaa.... no start for whatever reason, no ride for you, pal.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2015, 06:00 AM   #17
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Most celine fans are too old to run!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 4th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #18
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2015, 06:25 AM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Old November 4th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #20
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I keep the tank full for one very trivial reason:

On that first glorious spring day, all you really want to do is roll the bike outside and GO RIDE.

We all know the feeling.... "IT'S TIME."

Sure it doesn't take long to grab a can and head down to the gas station, but on that day, spring fever is in full force.

That's why a little time spent properly winterizing is such a good idea. Nothing sucks worse than feeling that overwhelming urge, pulling the bike out and... wha wha waaaaaaa.... no start for whatever reason, no ride for you, pal.
But you are not sleeping in the same room with almost 5 gallons of gas all winter.

Old November 4th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #21
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
This little stinker sits in my office most of the time with a full tank. Never smelled gas, and the tank has just a simple vented gas cap (in the tailsection - the "gas tank" is just a hollow cover).

If you move it around you could get gas coming out of the overflows for the floatbowls. I like to drain the floatbowls when storing, even if the fuel is stabilized. My theory is that the gas in the bowls will evaporate some and also lose it's volatility, creating deposits and making starting more difficult. Works for me.

jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2015, 08:42 AM   #22
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
So this is my first ever motorcycle and due to the weather getting colder I think it is time to winterize her up. I am going to list below what I plan on doing and if I am missing anything crucial it would be great if you could give me tips!

- Change the oil and filter
- Fill the tank and add Stabil
- Take the bike around the block a few times to get the oil and stabil running
- Lube the chain
- Place bike on front and rear stands
- Apply battery tender

I do have a few questions though. I hear that you want to fill the gas tank all the way up, but should I leave some space for the stabil? Is an 8 o.z. bottle enough? How much do I add?

Also, is there a specific tool that is helpful for cleaning the chain? I have never done this before.

One last thing...should I keep the battery plugged into the bike while I have the tender plugged into it? My bike will be in my apartment so I won't have to worry about it getting cold.

Thanks!
I like to add any fuel additives before I fill up. I have two gas stations within a block of my house, so it's not a big deal to dump it in the tank in the garage then just ride there. Depending on your situation, you may want to take the bottle of additive with you to the gas station.

If you dump the additive in before you fill the tank, the act of filling it up will inherently mix it up well. You won't have to worry about the product forming a slick on top of the gas or just sinking to the bottom (depending on the exact chemical makeup of it), and you don't have to try to shake it around (by tipping the bike side to side or whatever) to mix it up.

If you can, try to find ethanol-free premium gas for winter storage. Ethanol attracts water and can attack soft parts in an older fuel system. Gas will degrade over time, which the higher octane premium helps mitigate.

If you're feeling adventurous, here are the details on the fuel additive I've used in every tank for over two years.

It's definitely not necessary, but a GreaseNinja will simplify lubing your chain (which you should be doing every few tanks of gas).

You don't need to remove the battery from the bike, but doing so will ensure there are no parasitic drains wasting electricity. As others said, it's mostly a temperature issue.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2015, 08:49 AM   #23
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Where in california are you that you would put your bike away for winter???

I don't and I'm in MI...

just curious

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2015, 10:51 AM   #24
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
I like to add any fuel additives before I fill up. I have two gas stations within a block of my house, so it's not a big deal to dump it in the tank in the garage then just ride there. Depending on your situation, you may want to take the bottle of additive with you to the gas station.

If you dump the additive in before you fill the tank, the act of filling it up will inherently mix it up well. You won't have to worry about the product forming a slick on top of the gas or just sinking to the bottom (depending on the exact chemical makeup of it), and you don't have to try to shake it around (by tipping the bike side to side or whatever) to mix it up.

If you can, try to find ethanol-free premium gas for winter storage. Ethanol attracts water and can attack soft parts in an older fuel system. Gas will degrade over time, which the higher octane premium helps mitigate.

If you're feeling adventurous, here are the details on the fuel additive I've used in every tank for over two years.

It's definitely not necessary, but a GreaseNinja will simplify lubing your chain (which you should be doing every few tanks of gas).

You don't need to remove the battery from the bike, but doing so will ensure there are no parasitic drains wasting electricity. As others said, it's mostly a temperature issue.
I have a gas station 15 seconds from my apartment. Do you recommend putting stabil in wth whatever gas I have and then filling the gas up to the top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
Where in california are you that you would put your bike away for winter???

I don't and I'm in MI...

just curious
I actually am not in California anymore. That is where my family is. I'm 20 now and go to school in Michigan. I'm in Ann Arbor.

Old November 4th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Do you recommend putting stabil in wth whatever gas I have and then filling the gas up to the top?
That is what I do, just put in 3.5oz in with the bit of gas that left in the tank and then fill. The pump action will mix it fine enough.

Old November 4th, 2015, 11:43 AM   #26
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
I have read in a few places online that people don't smell gas normally. I do have a pretty small room. I am a bit worried about this but I guess I have no choice.
If you get a match and light it right next to the gas tank it may tell you what you need to know. This guy smelled something, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2CCED12400000578-0-image-m-12_1443316903853.jpg (79.9 KB, 0 views)
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2015, 12:21 PM   #27
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
That is what I do, just put in 3.5oz in with the bit of gas that left in the tank and then fill. The pump action will mix it fine enough.
That makes sense to me.

Old November 4th, 2015, 04:22 PM   #28
verboten1

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
I actually am not in California anymore. That is where my family is. I'm 20 now and go to school in Michigan. I'm in Ann Arbor.

I can understand that then, I get looks while riding with snow on the ground

Go green

Ride more, worry less.

Old November 4th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #29
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I can understand that then, I get looks while riding with snow on the ground

Go green
I am not sure what to do now. Do I winterize it, put it in my apartment and see what happens? Or should I drain the tank. This is very difficult as I have never done anything mechanical with vehicles.

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!

Old November 4th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #30
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
I am not sure what to do now. Do I winterize it, put it in my apartment and see what happens? Or should I drain the tank. This is very difficult as I have never done anything mechanical with vehicles.

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!
If you are going to sleep with it in the same room, I think you should drain it. It is just disconnecting a hose.

We are...

Old November 4th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #31
verboten1

MOTM - June '15
If you're bringing it inside, there isn't much to winterize....as it won't be cold. Shut the petcock off, run the carbs dry and park it.

Ride more, worry less.

Old November 4th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #32
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If you're bringing it inside, there isn't much to winterize....as it won't be cold. Shut the petcock off, run the carbs dry and park it.
The hard part is deciding whether to drain the tank or not.

Old November 4th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
The hard part is deciding whether to drain the tank or not.
It's not hard yo, fill it. If it becomes an odor problem, then just drain and put in your cage. Life goes on...

Old November 4th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #34
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
It's not hard yo, fill it. If it becomes an odor problem, then just drain and put in your cage. Life goes on...
Okay, will do. Not a bad idea to drain it and put it in my car if all goes wrong haha.