ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old September 19th, 2015, 01:27 PM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Unhappy Round Two

TLDR
I got in an accident. low speed. pretty much a hit-and-run but found the driver. Good people still in this world.

I'm in a two lane right turn lane. with my lane (the leftmost/inside lane) having the option to go straight or turn right. The car to my right is in a right turn ONLY lane. I was riding down the lane already and knew the lane I was in could turn right too since the right turn only lane was backed up down the road. So I'm riding along and set up for the late turn in (something I do pretty much all the time) and I'm still seeing the car next to me hasn't event turned yet to the point where I'm staring at the lady driving with her earphones on hooked up to her phone through the window.

Front fairing hits her front fender, right shoulder and arm hits her car door as I'm still staring at her face. Bike falls down. I'm standing up over my bike in the middle of the road/intersection, all traffic has stopped so the whole intersection was clear as drivers just stared at what they just saw happened. I'm banging at her window saying "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" She then drives off and I'm just in bewilderment saying "IS THIS FOR REAL?" but then sees that she has turned into the mall parking lot. The guys in the truck up ahead asked if I was okay and if I needed help. I thanked them and told them I'm OK.

I go back to my bike and pick it up and put it on its kickstand. I then proceed to pick up my broken mirror and other bits and pieces off the road and throw them under the windscreen. The lights had already cycled but traffic was still at a standstill either waiting for me to move the bike out of the road or the was just amazed at what they saw.

The bike had trouble starting but I just held the starter until it fired up and proceeded to hunt down the car. I pull into the park lot area and could not find out where she went. I was like SHITBALLS. Then I see an SUV honking at me and telling me they got a picture of her car and license plate and says that the lady is parked in front of La Madeleine. We exchange info and I go to her. Arriving there, there were two other ladies who had witness the accident and followed her there (it just so happened that they were already planning on going there). One lady is on the phone with the police. Both asked if I was okay and said they had saw everything. They also said what she did was wrong just driving off like that.

The driver of the car did not speak English. She was from Honduras, no driver's license, but did have insurance. She had a passport for identification purposes. The lady who was on the phone spoke Spanish and proceeded to speak to her of what she did and what is going to happen. I exchange info with the two ladies and told them I will take care of the rest and didn't want to hold them back from what they were planning on doing since I had their contacts in case I needed more info.

I notice it's taking a long time for police unit to arrive. I call 911 spoke with the dispatcher to follow up on the ETA of a unit. Dispatcher says they never received a call (Not sure who the lady called) so gave her the situation and location of where we were. While I'm waiting, I ask the lady for ID and insurance of which she only provides the Passport and insurance. She calls somebody possibly a family member or husband who arrives and waits with her. He asks me what happens which I tell him and she's telling him she was in the "right" lane which he then informs her she wasn't and she was in the wrong.

Police officer arrives and proceeds to state that the police cannot do anything here unless a vehicle needs to be towed since it's not able to to drivable, someone is under the influence, someone needs medical attention, someone is violent, no insurance or no driver's license. The officer proceeds to ask both of us to provide him with our driver's license and insurance. Since the lady didn't understand, the guy with her translated and told him that she doesn't have one and gave him her passport ID. Office proceeds to state well since you don't have a driver's license, then I have to take action.

He cites her for no driver's license, and tells them that she can't drive and gave me all the information I needed and told me I was free to go.

My knees are just bruised, and my neck and shoulder are kind of sore, and boot is scraped up a bit. All OKAY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accidentloc.jpg (83.5 KB, 34 views)

Old September 19th, 2015, 01:36 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Stay alert to your condition. Neck stuff has a way of creeping along. I wish you the best, but want you to get taken care of.

Best wishes and hoping for luck on your side.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 19th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #3
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Glad to hear there are still good people in this world who assisted in finding her.
I hope the bike is fixed soon and you heal fast.

Old September 19th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
........... My knees are just bruised, and my neck and shoulder are kind of sore, and boot is scraped up a bit. All OKAY
Very sorry to read this, Cuong

Did your head hit the car or the pavement?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Stay alert to your condition. Neck stuff has a way of creeping along. I wish you the best, but want you to get taken care of.

Best wishes and hoping for luck on your side.
Good to know. I know it's just muscle soreness though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Very sorry to read this, Cuong

Did your head hit the car or the pavement?
Body and head never touched the pavement. Just the arm and shoulder hit the car along with the front right of the bike. Should be hearing back from the insurance hopefully Monday if not Tuesday.

Old September 20th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #6
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Damn glad you're ok and that people were willing to help you out. Good luck talking care of your bike and heal quickly.

Old October 5th, 2015, 07:48 AM   #7
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what caused the accident.. Did she stay in the far right- turn only- lane, but she kept driving straight, thus causing the accident?

In any case, I'm glad it wasn't too destructive!

Old October 5th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #8
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
TLDR
I got in an accident. low speed. pretty much a hit-and-run but found the driver. Good people still in this world.

I'm in a two lane right turn lane. with my lane (the leftmost/inside lane) having the option to go straight or turn right. The car to my right is in a right turn ONLY lane. I was riding down the lane already and knew the lane I was in could turn right too since the right turn only lane was backed up down the road. So I'm riding along and set up for the late turn in (something I do pretty much all the time) and I'm still seeing the car next to me hasn't event turned yet to the point where I'm staring at the lady driving with her earphones on hooked up to her phone through the window.

Front fairing hits her front fender, right shoulder and arm hits her car door as I'm still staring at her face. Bike falls down. I'm standing up over my bike in the middle of the road/intersection, all traffic has stopped so the whole intersection was clear as drivers just stared at what they just saw happened. I'm banging at her window saying "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" She then drives off and I'm just in bewilderment saying "IS THIS FOR REAL?" but then sees that she has turned into the mall parking lot. The guys in the truck up ahead asked if I was okay and if I needed help. I thanked them and told them I'm OK.

I go back to my bike and pick it up and put it on its kickstand. I then proceed to pick up my broken mirror and other bits and pieces off the road and throw them under the windscreen. The lights had already cycled but traffic was still at a standstill either waiting for me to move the bike out of the road or the was just amazed at what they saw.

The bike had trouble starting but I just held the starter until it fired up and proceeded to hunt down the car. I pull into the park lot area and could not find out where she went. I was like SHITBALLS. Then I see an SUV honking at me and telling me they got a picture of her car and license plate and says that the lady is parked in front of La Madeleine. We exchange info and I go to her. Arriving there, there were two other ladies who had witness the accident and followed her there (it just so happened that they were already planning on going there). One lady is on the phone with the police. Both asked if I was okay and said they had saw everything. They also said what she did was wrong just driving off like that.

The driver of the car did not speak English. She was from Honduras, no driver's license, but did have insurance. She had a passport for identification purposes. The lady who was on the phone spoke Spanish and proceeded to speak to her of what she did and what is going to happen. I exchange info with the two ladies and told them I will take care of the rest and didn't want to hold them back from what they were planning on doing since I had their contacts in case I needed more info.

I notice it's taking a long time for police unit to arrive. I call 911 spoke with the dispatcher to follow up on the ETA of a unit. Dispatcher says they never received a call (Not sure who the lady called) so gave her the situation and location of where we were. While I'm waiting, I ask the lady for ID and insurance of which she only provides the Passport and insurance. She calls somebody possibly a family member or husband who arrives and waits with her. He asks me what happens which I tell him and she's telling him she was in the "right" lane which he then informs her she wasn't and she was in the wrong.

Police officer arrives and proceeds to state that the police cannot do anything here unless a vehicle needs to be towed since it's not able to to drivable, someone is under the influence, someone needs medical attention, someone is violent, no insurance or no driver's license. The officer proceeds to ask both of us to provide him with our driver's license and insurance. Since the lady didn't understand, the guy with her translated and told him that she doesn't have one and gave him her passport ID. Office proceeds to state well since you don't have a driver's license, then I have to take action.

He cites her for no driver's license, and tells them that she can't drive and gave me all the information I needed and told me I was free to go.

My knees are just bruised, and my neck and shoulder are kind of sore, and boot is scraped up a bit. All OKAY

You actually were pounding on the window of her car before she drove off?

That might be (or will be) here excuse for leaving the scene of the accident. "Crazy Biker Dude was going to assault me"
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2015, 03:01 PM   #9
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
I'm having trouble understanding exactly what caused the accident.. Did she stay in the far right- turn only- lane, but she kept driving straight, thus causing the accident?
Yes, you are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
That might be (or will be) here excuse for leaving the scene of the accident. "Crazy Biker Dude was going to assault me"
Hahaha

Old October 16th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #10
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Well, I just got a voicemail from the lady's insurance company accepting fault and total'n my bike. I should be hearing back from an adjuster soon. This is not quite what I wanted to hear.

Old November 1st, 2015, 03:47 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hope they pay out promptly. Are you happy with the number they came up with?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2015, 07:09 PM   #12
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Sorry to hear. Hopefully you get a fair price.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2015, 02:22 PM   #13
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Sorry to read about your misfortune. Hopefully the insurance claim works out alright.

There were plenty of nice people in Texas when I was there. It took some getting used to.

p.s. Go Rice!

Old November 2nd, 2015, 11:11 PM   #14
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Forgot to update. Well they didn't total it out but I got a decent payout

Old November 2nd, 2015, 11:41 PM   #15
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

hard luck buddy!

Old November 5th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #16
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Forgot to update. Well they didn't total it out but I got a decent payout
That's something, anyway.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote