Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old June 1st, 2015, 10:43 AM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Summer is here! 5/30/2015

There is an odd period between when I decide that my heated jacket no longer needs to be on every ride and when I need to start dumping water down my sleeves to keep cool. That period officially ended this weekend when the temp read 98°. Blarg, summer in the desert has arrived.

Since it was a "down" weekend for me in between the crazy schedule I've set for myself, I met up with a friend in Auburn to hang out and spend the day riding together. The original plan was a merge of the Mosquito Ridge Road/Ice House Road loop and the Silver Fork/North-South loop.

Left Saturday at 6am to get over the mountain and to Eidelweiss restaurant in Auburn. The section up to Spooner Summit was wide open and I was able to maintain a good clip going up through the broad sweepers. Slipped around the main road through South Lake Tahoe and got behind an Impala that acted like they were wanting to go faster if it weren't for the traffic in front of us. I managed to keep up with her as she sped along just over the speed limit (like 55 - ohhh blazing) heading up towards Echo Summit. That is, until the road started actually being at a slight incline and suddenly she went into full flatlander mode, "OMG the road isn't straight! ARGHHH must go 30." Got stuck behind her for awhile as any curves were single lane double yellow and any straights were opportunities to test the car's 30-90 ability. Lucked out at a passing zone when, just as she rediscovered her gas pedal, a Oversized Load pilot truck came around the corner and she mistook the flashing yellow as a cop. She slammed on her brakes, I dropped down a gear, and hasta la vista, baby!

After I left Placerville heading up 49, I got a call. "Mind if I bring the sportbike?" Cool! The plan was adjusted to be all the little narrow goat roads around the area to have some fun rounding off a few interstate flattened tires. 49 is a great highway on its own, but between Auburn and Placerville it's really nice as you go back and forth under the trees. Unless you get stuck in a closed road ahead construction area. Ok, look at the flowers. Made it to the restaurant where a dozen or so other cruisers were already waiting so got gas down the street a bit (the station right across the street was being totally torn up). Hung out a bit surfing on my phone when my friend rolled up on his z1000 (the one I'd ridden not too long ago).

A long leisurely breakfast later, we headed out to explore the little roads all over the Sierra foothills. One thing I am jealous about is around here, you can go hours and hours and hours, burning through multiple tanks of gas, and never actually *go* anywhere, all while having a massively fun adventure. Small towns, little logging roads, historic mines, maple and oak tree canopies, deer and turkeys crossing the road, and a few creeks shielded from the sun. Heaven, pure heaven. I love also how there are numerous moments when you round a corner and there in the middle of the turn you glance forward to see a asphalt snake open up, twisting and turning, looping back and forth, just that one moment glimpse of what lies ahead and it's the most awesome view ever seen before your focus snaps back to the corner at hand and you just ride!

We eventually made our way back to Auburn where my friend introduced my to his favorite Frosty place - he scored a peach milkshake and I went for the mocha malt. We hung out a bit with a few cruisers, talking shop, and even passed on some info to a gal who was almost having to give up riding due to overheating.

Can't say it enough, LD Comforts.

Time was getting on, so we headed back north where he went west on 20 and I went east. Up to Truckee via old Highway 40 and the original Donner Pass, then over towards Tahoe to circle the north shore of the lake and relax into an easy ride home.

Sunday, word reached me that there was a cache missing so I jumped on the bike, made a few laps of the truck route into Virginia City and down Six Mile canyon, to head first to Fallon (where I was kitty sitting this week) and then north to Lovelock. Yes, this is now my life, "Say, while you're out in Fallon, head over to Lovelock to replace this micro cache." Sure, 100 miles of slab is NOTHING! There was a really neat car show going on in the lawn of the Pershing County courthouse that I got to see before I turned back and headed into Reno for the simple reason of being able to take Geiger Grade back up to Virginia City.

Trouble with Geiger lately is there have been an increase (or at least media reports) of head on bike vs bike collisions on the pass. It's so close to Reno that any one, new or experienced, is just a few minutes away from an awesome road. Take those blinds corners too hot, and the person in the other lane pays the price. I enjoyed it, but the nervousness that kept me in the outside third of the lane is making me ask how long Geiger will continue to be included in my personal map of fun roads.

Up and then down again into Carson where I helped my dad set up the swamp cooler, then out again (with another up to VC and down 6 Mile) towards home and the end of another awesome weekend.

Rocking the helmet 'hawk!

testing a new app so here's the goat road loop de loo.

https://a.rever.co/embed/11533

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old June 1st, 2015, 11:12 AM   #2
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17

The paint job on the bat wing is cool!

Love the "helmet 'hawk"

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:55 PM   #3
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Nice!

I like the tracking app too, I need to get something on my Android.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2015, 08:01 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Which tracking?

The embedded map is Spotwalla, usable with a Spot tracker, Bubbler (Android), or SWConnect (iOS)

The linked one is Rever which, on my phone at least, still has a few bugs.

I've tried a few other tracking apps. Really prefer using anything linked to my Spot as then that device serves double duty.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2015, 10:34 PM   #5
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Ah I'm jealous. Wish I was riding.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:42 AM   #6
johnydecali
ninjette.org member

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
The embedded map is Spotwalla, usable with a Spot tracker, Bubbler (Android), or SWConnect (iOS)

I've tried a few other tracking apps. Really prefer using anything linked to my Spot as then that device serves double duty.
Thanks for sharing the apps that you use, I've been wanting to download an app or two to track my rides.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:28 AM   #7
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Which tracking?

Yes, the embedded map. I like that, will try some out myself soon. Thank you for explaining, greatly appreciated.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:08 AM   #8
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
Yes, the embedded map. I like that, will try some out myself soon. Thank you for explaining, greatly appreciated.
I like https://spotwalla.com/ with http://bubblergps.com/ on my samsung s4

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:36 AM   #9
slolane
Motorcyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I like https://spotwalla.com/ with http://bubblergps.com/ on my samsung s4