ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 29th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #1
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Ebay clipons?

Surely this has been discussed before but perhaps this thread can be a summation of everything already shared and agreed upon.

Disclaimer -- Any part that you install on your bike will ultimately be your own liability. By using cheap or low quality parts, you greatly increase your risk for mechanical error which could result in grievous bodily harm or death. It is not advised to work on a motorcycle unless you are confident in your ability and have the proper tools and knowledge to adequately complete the task.

With that said -- has anyone "gotten away with" ebay clipons?

In a never-ending search to make this bike handle better, I decided that I'd like to play around with raising the forks in the triple clamp. I've also got preload adjusters in there, and want to experiment with more fork tuning. All of that is a chore with the original handlebar setup because it covers the top of the forks. With clipons, I'd end up having a little more weight on the front wheel due to seating position, and I could access my preload adjusters, and I could also raise the forks a bit.

Woodcraft units go for 150 or so. These ebay knockoffs are on fifth of that.

I believe the ninja 250 had 36mm fork diameter.. the ebay ones listed say that they fit, yet are 37mm.

Hopefully someone can chime in. Thanks guys!

I'm referring to the these..

Old August 29th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #2
corksil

As usual.. it would be nice if someone could come in here and say quite simply "X are the ones I have, X are the ones to buy, and X have been working well for me for a long time."

I can lose entire days online researching all the subtle nuances pertaining to stuff like this. Risers vs spacers, angles, fuel tank clearance.. removing bar ends for increased clearance.. all of it sucks up so much time to research.

Old August 29th, 2017, 03:03 PM   #3
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
You've been on this forum long enough to know that people are going to come in and suggest the premium line, or the "middle of the road" line whenever anyone asks about buying something made cheaper.

If someone's taken a chance on them and posted here, I hope they comment on it here for your sake. But until the unlikely event that a reputable person posts that, you're going to get responses like the above.

Best of luck!
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Lesson learned from a lifetime of misguided attempts to save a few bucks:

Buy quality. Buy once. Keep forever.

It's cheaper in the long run....

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 29th, 2017, 04:04 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Woodcraft and forget it. $15 bar replacements as needed, with 2day shipping. It's really a no brainer until another company comes up with an end to end solution any cheaper.

Hell, if you are willing to pay the shipping... you can get them overnighted to the track. As well as there are at least 10 others who have an extra bar floating about.

The china levers are ok, if you're OCD about installing them properly. But as far as clip ons go, unless the replacement bars are the same/compatible with the woodcraft's, imma pass on them.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #6
Kestrel
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): DR350, Ninja 250

Are you looking for a 36mm set for a pre-gen? Or a 37mm set for a later bike?

If it's for the older bike.... I've actually got a gently used set of 36mm Woodcraft riser clip ons that I plan to sell on the forums here for quite a bit under retail.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2017, 05:13 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Woodcraft and forget it. $15 bar replacements as needed, with 2day shipping. It's really a no brainer until another company comes up with an end to end solution any cheaper.
hell, I just get 7/8" bar-stock to replace bent bars... Cut this in 1/2 to get two bars for $5 each!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201600220367

But yea, I have Woodcraft clip-ons...
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 29th, 2017, 05:45 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
nice!!!!!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2017, 10:41 PM   #9
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Only chinese anything ive ever bought have been shorty levers and theyve been flawless and ive had em years now. As for teh clipons, i rock Woodcraft. 0 problems with them, i think theyre fantastic.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2017, 06:42 PM   #10
corksil

Thank you all. It sounds like ebay for the levers and woodcraft for the clipons.

It would be super cool if patrick/kestrel's 36mm clipons would fit my newer '11 ninja.

Older than 08 = 36mm
08 or newer = 37mm

I don't suppose I could put 36mm clipons on my 37mm bars... Has anyone tried that? I'd love to buy used ones so I could save the couple bucks that I started this whole thread about.

Thank you all. I love this forum.

Old August 31st, 2017, 12:40 AM   #11
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Nope, 36mm clip-ons won't fit on 37mm forks.

If my bike didn't come with Woodcraft, I would've gone with Chinese ones from eBay or Ali; they work just fine. Trick is to not overtighten everything. Have each clamp bolt just tight enough so it doesn't move under normal operation. But in wreck, bars will swing & rotate out of the way rather than breaking and/or damaging the forks.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2017, 05:37 PM   #12
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

if i was at the track and my day would be finnished otherwise, damn straight i would dremmel out the 36 no matter how ugly it came out.
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote