ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:31 AM   #1
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Corner, meet bike... bike, meet corner

I don't know why some of my bits of riding experience keep coming up under "Riding Skills" as opposed to the "Oh Sh*t" section... be it for the grace of Lord, dumb luck or book theory reinforced with enough practice to modify survival instincts... beats me.

A few days ago I was riding my buddy's FZ6R. His 160mm rear wheel is a mammoth compared to ninjette's, but feels amazingly flickable compared to my CBR's 180mm. So we ride a good way out, get off the highway, have some coffe, swap bikes and head back. He takes off on my CBR like a bat from hell and is nowhere to be seen. I follow up, and knowing the road well, I roll on, envisioning taking the on-ramp at about 30mph. Except that I had mistaken this particular entrance for another one, and the on-ramp is much sharper, about 90 degrees... and I am flying into it at 30mph... Oh ****, this is it - I will crash for sure.

As they say - whether you believe you will crash or you won't, you will be right. Well, I was wrong. Here's what went through my mind:
* sh!t, I will crash..
* braking is useless (in fact it would be suicidal but I didn't think in those terms in the heat of the moment)
I pushed the bars away from the impact point, into the turn, and also looked away, as some hope of escape. I did it instinctively, cuz there was nothing better to do.

And voila, the bike leaned over like a champ and breezed thru the turn easily, effortlessly, with room to spare! By the time I caught my breath the corner was well behind. Damn it, the bike can really lean! And some dudes can ride like that on purpose... wow!!

Heck, I thought that after 4500 miles and some training I could ride Ninjette reall well, and upgraded... way, way too early. I've seen only the tip of the iceberg... how much more there is!
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2012, 08:41 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
This is how the sickness sets in......
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Very well done!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Glad to hear you made it through unscathed and it is even better that you were able to learn from the experience.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:28 PM   #5
CalvinAmI
ninjette.org member

Name: CalvinAmI

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r [RED] & '06 Ninja 250 [WHITE]

love. Love. LOVE the OP's post.
THAT is what I need to get through my head still.
Confidence in the bike and that the tires will keep me on two wheels when I have my doubts.
Learning lessons from others. Priceless.
CalvinAmI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:19 AM   #6
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Glad you came through it ok man. I've had a few oh **** I took that too fast moments, but I simply look through the turn and lean into it. I still have to change my undies though...

I still can't wait to get a 600 and see how it feels through the twisties compared to my little 250.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #7
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

This just proves what I always tell people - in the majority of cases, the rider runs out of skill before the bike runs out of capability.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #8
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I had a similar "oh s**t" moment, while taking a not so sharp, downward sloping left hander... I didn't realise I was so fast till I was half way through the turn... What a rush... Lol I did what you did, smooth on the throttle, look where you want to go, both bike and me escaped unharmed...

Though, on particularly sharp corners, I do tend to panic and slam the brakes... But I guess, 20-30mph isn't fast enough to do too much damage...

Old May 24th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #9
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Yeah, I didn't touch the trottle, just pushed away the bars and looked away. What a rush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDspd View Post
Glad you came through it ok man. I've had a few oh **** I took that too fast moments, but I simply look through the turn and lean into it. I still have to change my undies though...

I still can't wait to get a 600 and see how it feels through the twisties compared to my little 250.
I just posted something about it here... not sure U wanna read it, lol

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104654
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote