Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old June 22nd, 2015, 07:37 AM   #1
rc racer
ninjette.org member

Name: robert

Motorcycle(s): 2015 R3, 1969 CB160, 2002 TTR125, 2007 KX250F

First track day on Yamaha R3

I was going to post this on the R3 forum but I like this forum much better ,

Took the R3 out to MSR Cresson yesterday, and had a blast! Been looking forward to going all week and the weather forecast was good. But Sunday morning its raining at home and the forecast shows 60% chance of rain at the track. After deciding today was not the day my buddy at the track says weather is perfect so I haul ass down there just in time to gear up and catch half a session of track time. While waiting for the next session the sky opens up and now its pouring at the track! But the rain stops quickly and we sit out the next session. Track was good and dry for one last session at the end of the day.

The R3 will be my Ultra lightweight race bike later this year and replace my 2009 ninja 250. So far suspension has been upgraded with Traxxion Dynamics AK20 cartridges inside the forks and a JRI 2 way adjustable shock, both ends sprung and valved for me by Roger Albert at Onroad-Offroad suspention in Austin TX. Other than that I've added woodcraft clip ons (no riser, above the triple clamp) and removed turn signals, peg feelers, and rear fender. Also I put a really short shifter directly on the shift shaft to get rid of the stock shift linkage and provide GP shift. Last, I mounted up some sticky Pirelli DR2 rear and SC0 front tires. Just waiting for some good bodywork to be available, slap some number plates on and go racing. Eventually adding exhaust+tuner and rearsets.

I was hoping to make some suspension adjustments and get the bike as good as I could. But, it was tough to even think of anything to adjust because the suspension is so good as delivered and the bike felt so much better that what I was used to on the N250. Maybe next weekend weather will be better and I'll have more time to experiment with the clickers!

Photo credit William Marcus Photography.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R3 glamour.jpg (67.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg R3 and rc390.jpg (130.1 KB, 29 views)
rc racer is offline   Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

Old June 22nd, 2015, 09:25 AM   #2
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I'm Jealous! Nice bike man!

Old June 22nd, 2015, 09:45 AM   #3
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Was that the 1.3 or 1.7? Member Day? How did the R3 fair against the 390? Other than just "better", what were the high points of the R3 vs the N250?
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2015, 11:09 AM   #4
rc racer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
Was that the 1.3 or 1.7? Member Day? How did the R3 fair against the 390? Other than just "better", what were the high points of the R3 vs the N250?
We were on the 1.7 ccw member day. The R3 did very well against the rc390 (street not cup bike) but is was completely stock and could have used much stiffer suspension for the rider. The 390 was for the guy's son but he was out for a shake down run on it. The guy is a good rider that races in several clubs. I spotted the 390 up ahead and put my head down catching up within a half a lap and passed it exiting big bend easily! Suspension had a lot to do with it but I still felt like a hero.

The high points of this R3 where much better suspension than what I am used to. My Ninja 250 just has emulators and springs up front with an ohlins in the rear. The R3 has a comparable shock but far superior AK20's in the forks. I could brake later and pick whatever line I wanted at any time. The R3 engine has good pull at lower rpm. I could enter most corners one gear higher than I am used to on the N250 with a little more entry speed and it just pulls at corner exit.

I had my transponder on and was hoping to get some lap times to compare but by the time we loaded up the office was closed and I could not view my laps.

Old June 22nd, 2015, 11:53 AM   #5
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ ahh ok cool and thanks

Great to hear it the bike was enjoyable, I imagine the beefier 41mm front end helps a bit in corner entry stability and feel, but no doubt the AK carts have to be a big improvement.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2015, 12:36 PM   #6
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Why wait for bodywork instead of calling them and offering your bike for them to design with? Free stuff!
CVMA #531
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 02:54 PM   #7
rc racer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Why wait for bodywork instead of calling them and offering your bike for them to design with? Free stuff!
I did but most bodywork manufacturers are so far from Dallas and they already have local volunteers to model bodywork off of. Just need to wait now.

I did volunteer my bike to M4 so they can make slip ons and full systems for it. They are close to me and seemed very interested but would be a few weeks until they are ready since they are currently developing exhaust for the new R1.

Old June 23rd, 2015, 07:10 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Thanks for the comments. I am leaning toward an r3 to replace my pregen at some point in the future. Just waiting on some good reviews and shakedowns to see where it finally lands and "required" go fast mods.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2015, 08:15 AM   #9
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
You don't mean to replace your 511 race bike? I didn't realize your pregen was running

Old June 23rd, 2015, 08:30 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
No, #511 isn't going anywhere, I got too much time, $$ and good memories of myself and friends on the bike to part with it. The pregen is not really running right now, just waiting a few front end parts to put it on the road. I am gunna learn the wife and son up on it, then sell it to a family member or give to my son (Lance).

Speaking of him... He is doing pretty good on the yz125. It's a hard bike to ride in the tight trails but he getting it. I hope to get him to mid-ohio on the 250 at the end of this year or beginning of next year. We'll see, I aint pushin him or anything. I think he is finally big enough that I can buy him some gear and not have to replaced it the following year. lol
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2015, 09:27 AM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
nice, that gear isn't cheap. Especially when you have to replace it often

Old June 29th, 2015, 07:25 AM   #12
rc racer
ninjette.org member

Got out to MSR Cresson 1.7ccw again yesterday 6/28/2015. This time got my usual 2 hours of track time and had a beautiful sunny day with temps reaching 95 and low humidity. With a refreshing breeze hanging out in the shade between sessions was very pleasant. The motorcycle group was very small with at most 5 bikes on the track at the same time.

Also, had my transponder on and got a bunch of lap times. I was hoping to improve my best N250 lap time of 1:36.5. Sadly I did not go any faster, my best lap of the day was 1:37.1. I was consistent though with several 1:37's and a ton of 1:38's.

I though for sure I was going faster on the R3. I did have a couple things working against me for beating my PB. The N250 PB was set during a race so drafting and the red mist definitely push you to go faster. Also lightweight races are always early in the morning and cooler temps probably help HP too.

Also, the N250 weighs substantially less than the R3 in its current state. The R3 still has heavy bodywork, headlight and brackets. Also the heavy stock exhaust/catalytic convertor. Plus the R3 still has OEM rearsets with feelers removed that really limited my speed through a fast right hander called "little bend". I had my tippy toes on the peg but my foot was still getting pinched between the frame and the asphalt while the peg flexed out of the way

All things considered I am still impressed with the R3 lap times. to take a new, mostly stock bike and get within a half second of my race PB is no small feat. Will be much better once I drop more weight off the bike and myself. Plus get those foot pegs higher and install free flowing exhaust.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.