ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old May 5th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

New Bike

Well, I loved my ninjette for what it is. It's a great bike to learn and develop the basic skills, begin working on the proper technique and muscle responses.

But it was time to pick up a bigger bike.

Found a brand new leftover 2011 ZX-6R (Green of course) sitting at the back of the dealership. I was able to talk them down about $3k from what they wanted for their leftover 2012s, so I'm super happy with what I paid. I picked it up in March and hauled it back home.

2 Weeks later I posted up my 09 Ninjette with 15xxxkm on it, and was able to sell it to another brand new local rider.

I'm definitely not the most active member around here, but I do lurk a lot. I've learn so much from actively watching people's build threads, maintenance and enjoyed the camaraderie. I'll be hanging around in the background as usual, chiming in when I have something good to say.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Ben M
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

:
Ben M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Pics

Pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_5480.jpg (213.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5482.jpg (189.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 100_5486.jpg (192.2 KB, 21 views)

Old May 5th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #4
Ben M
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Nice!
Ben M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #5
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Very nice! I preferred the body design of the 2012- to my 2013 in some aspects.

How about that pull in the upper RPM :P terrifying at first!
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #6
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
Very nice! I preferred the body design of the 2012- to my 2013 in some aspects.

How about that pull in the upper RPM :P terrifying at first!
Yeah the first time I came to an open and empty piece of road and I cracked the throttle open was amazing. Felt like the bike was just going to take off out from under me and leave me standing there.

Old May 7th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #7
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Congratz on the new ride!!

Old May 7th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

After 1000kms I'm happy to say I love the positioning of this bike. At 6' with long arms and legs, I always felt a little cramped on the Ninjette, even after adding Driven clip-ons and Bohemian Racing adjustable rearsets.

Now I feel like I have plenty of room to stretch out. My only gripe so far was that I was always sliding around the tank. It feels a lot smoother than the Ninjette's was so no matter how hard I squeeze the tank I always seemed to slide up.

I added a set of Tech-spec Snake skin grip pads yesterday, so I'll take it for a ride tonight now that the adhesive should have settled in (they recommend waiting 12 hours).

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #10
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgeneral View Post
After 1000kms I'm happy to say I love the positioning of this bike. At 6' with long arms and legs, I always felt a little cramped on the Ninjette, even after adding Driven clip-ons and Bohemian Racing adjustable rearsets.

Now I feel like I have plenty of room to stretch out. My only gripe so far was that I was always sliding around the tank. It feels a lot smoother than the Ninjette's was so no matter how hard I squeeze the tank I always seemed to slide up.

I added a set of Tech-spec Snake skin grip pads yesterday, so I'll take it for a ride tonight now that the adhesive should have settled in (they recommend waiting 12 hours).
I have the same issue. With my riding pants on, it's not too bad but still takes a ton of leg power not to slide!

Curious to see how you like the snake skin grip pads. keep us updated!

Old May 9th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #11
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Nice - rides. Great deals on those leftover ZX6R.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #12
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I have the same issue. With my riding pants on, it's not too bad but still takes a ton of leg power not to slide!

Curious to see how you like the snake skin grip pads. keep us updated!
Yup, with my leathers it's bearable, but after riding for about 2hrs straight my inner thighs are dead tired. If I switch to my textile overpants, I might as well grease myself up, I have to squeeze so hard that my legs are done in half the time, especially if the road is bumpy.

I had some issues right off the get go with the Tech Specs. 3 out of the 4 went on without a hitch, but when I went to take the backing off the fourth one (Lower right side tank pad), the glue wouldn't separate from the paper (See attached pic). I've gotten in contact with the seller (eBay) and they're going to figure out if Tech Spec will be sending me a new one, or if they're responsible for sending me a new one.

Since that happened, I won't be able to give a good review of them until I try it with all four. But I will be riding with just the 3 tonight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00521-20130508-1536.jpg (107.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00522-20130508-1536.jpg (82.2 KB, 1 views)

Old May 9th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #13
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Nice ride... The best color to!
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #14
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Welcome to the Green Side.....

Old May 9th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #15
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgeneral View Post
Yup, with my leathers it's bearable, but after riding for about 2hrs straight my inner thighs are dead tired. If I switch to my textile overpants, I might as well grease myself up, I have to squeeze so hard that my legs are done in half the time, especially if the road is bumpy.

I had some issues right off the get go with the Tech Specs. 3 out of the 4 went on without a hitch, but when I went to take the backing off the fourth one (Lower right side tank pad), the glue wouldn't separate from the paper (See attached pic). I've gotten in contact with the seller (eBay) and they're going to figure out if Tech Spec will be sending me a new one, or if they're responsible for sending me a new one.

Since that happened, I won't be able to give a good review of them until I try it with all four. But I will be riding with just the 3 tonight.
Thanks for that info. Good to know about the backing! I believe there was another brand I was looking at so maybe I'll side with them. Really really hope they work with you to get those replaced.

I also lul'd at ".. I might as well grease myself up... ". So true... so true

Old May 10th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #16
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Thanks for that info. Good to know about the backing! I believe there was another brand I was looking at so maybe I'll side with them. Really really hope they work with you to get those replaced.
I heard back from the ebay seller who contacted Tech Spec. They will be shipping me a new lower piece at no cost, so A+ for costumer service.

The ride was night and day different, even with only 3 of the grips installed. I only needed to exert about 30% of the force with my legs to keep myself way more planted than before. I can't recommend these enough.

The other company available is Stomp Grips, but all the reviews I read had pretty much the same problem with them. No matter how well you installed them, within 1 season they were starting to peel off. Most people apparently went with them because they make a clear version (as opposed to only opaque black for the Tech Specs) so as to not hide the nice colour of your bike and/or decals. But they've been known to yellow and develop bubbles in the sun.

Old June 13th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #17
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Update: I got the replacement Tech Spec, and I can honestly say, I have no idea how I rode without them. Everything feels smoother, more connected. I cannot recommend this product enough, and at ~$70 it won't really break the bank.

Ordered an 18L Cortech super 2.0 tankbag for an upcomming 1000km weekend trip. It'll be here early next week.

I also ordered a cheap $20 Fender Eliminator off of eBay and installed that last night. With a little drilling/cutting/swearing I was able to re-use the stock turn signals and plate light.

I'll get pics up tonight. Still needs some zip-ties to clean up the wires, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Plus with it costing only $20, I wasn't afraid to bend, cut and mangle this thing to make it do exactly what I wanted.

Old June 17th, 2013, 06:14 PM   #18
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Pics of the Cortech bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000070(resized).jpg (85.6 KB, 16 views)

Old June 17th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #19
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Nice. When are you taking it to track?
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #20
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
Nice. When are you taking it to track?
Hopefully within the coming months. The closest track to me is 4 hours away.

I'm going on a 1000km roadtrip this coming weekend, so I needed the extra luggage space.