ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 9th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #1
quarterkawa
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2004 EX250F

Re-Jetting

PO had a full Muzzy exhaust installed and I doubt he had it re-jetted as the bike always smells extra rich (but still runs fine). So after engaging in close quarters combat with my air filter box, I decided it was time to install the K&N R-0990.

So here's the question, who has a similar setup (less restrictive exhaust and pods) and what size jets and how many #10 washers do you have?

Old December 9th, 2015, 06:37 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
@choneofakind has had the same setup with good knowledge of proper tuning and should be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck, should be pretty easy overall.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2015, 07:43 PM   #3
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

I have a similar setup, but I run a dynojet stage 3 jetkit. If you get the k&n pods and keep the muzzy, go with keihn 120 mains and maybe 2 washers each for starters, be prepared to add or remove washers. (Also you will never be as close to perfect with the stock needles as you will with aftermarket needles.)

Old December 9th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #4
HoneyBadgerRy

Also to add to what I previously said, do yourself a favor and make sure your carbs are clean. If your mixture screws or their rubber washers look worn or out of shape AT ALL replace them.

Old December 9th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #5
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
IIRC, I have 110 main jets and 3 washers??? I'll have to check whenever I can get back to my tools and see which jets aren't in the kit
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #6
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
IIRC, I have 110 main jets and 3 washers??? I'll have to check whenever I can get back to my tools and see which jets aren't in the kit
110 mains in a pregen with pods? There is no way, that would be crazy lean. At least on my bike, but my bike likes a lot of gas.

Old December 9th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #7
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
110 mains in a pregen with pods? There is no way, that would be crazy lean. At least on my bike, but my bike likes a lot of gas.
...except it's not. I've got up to 115 mains, but I see no need to even try something that big.

I've done this jetting thing a few times on this bike. It's about perfect at 1000'. When I had the bike in Asheville at 2000', it was manageable but definitely fat. Then I went up in the mountains and she's rich as oprah at 5200'

But no, 100 with pods and Muzzy works best for my setup. The 112 is just a hair wet feeling.

Looks like your location is nearly the same as mine when just looking at elevation. I don't see why you'd need to go significantly larger than 110-112 for the same setup I'm on. You sure you know the difference between fat and skinny? Just asking, don't take that the wrong way. What's your setup?

EDIT: just read upwards a bit. 120???!?!?!!? If you're not running timing advance or E85, there's no need. What's your fuel mileage and/or where's your air leak on your intake?????

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 9th, 2015, 08:27 PM   #8
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
...except it's not. I've got up to 115 mains, but I see no need to even try something that big.

I've done this jetting thing a few times on this bike. It's about perfect at 1000'. When I had the bike in Asheville at 2000', it was manageable but definitely fat. Then I went up in the mountains and she's rich as oprah at 5200'

But no, 100 with pods and Muzzy works best for my setup. The 112 is just a hair wet feeling.

Looks like your location is nearly the same as mine when just looking at elevation. I don't see why you'd need to go significantly larger than 110-112 for the same setup I'm on. You sure you know the difference between fat and skinny? Just asking, don't take that the wrong way. What's your setup?

EDIT: just read upwards a bit. 120???!?!?!!? If you're not running timing advance or E85, there's no need. What's your fuel mileage and/or where's your air leak on your intake?????
Like I said I run dynojet jets, so I actually run dj114s which are "the same as" keihin 120‘s. I have the k&n pod filter, and free flowing cans. I tried the dj110 (keihin 115) mains and the bike ran stupid lean, on the 114s (120) the bike is closer to correct (almost perfect). I do not have an airleak, I have 38 keihin pilots, and my mixture screws 3.25 turns out.

Edit: And if you think Im crazy, on 110s (115) my plugs were bleach white.

Edit 2: I don't commute, but on a day of riding twisties at 10,000, I got like 55mpg.

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:46 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Huh. I understand that may work for you, but I've never seen anyone besides racer x use keihin mains that big on their pregen. And he's a special case.

I'm wondering what is up with your bike that would require such big jets. The things come stock with 105's and I know the pod filter doesn't do that much. Might just be the difference in brand and that "equivalent" part of the equation.

From what I've gathered, my setup and Jetting is normal.

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #10
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Huh. I understand that may work for you, but I've never seen anyone besides racer x use keihin mains that big on their pregen. And he's a special case.

I'm wondering what is up with your bike that would require such big jets. The things come stock with 105's and I know the pod filter doesn't do that much. Might just be the difference in brand and that "equivalent" part of the equation.

From what I've gathered, my setup and Jetting is normal.
Yeah, I don't really know why my bike runs such big jets, the only motor work I have so far besides intake and exhaust it a intake port polish, so that shouldn't effect jetting to much.

Old December 9th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
...that changes the ball game big time. You have a completely different setup from someone who has stock with bolt on pod filter and exhaust.

Sooooo your 117-120 main jet is very different from my 110-112. There it is. You shouldn't be recommending jets based on experience on your particular setup to someone that doesn't have internal work done. Again, no offense, but that defeats the purpose of asking folks with similar setups for jetting advice.

Why would we port and polish if it does nothing? It increases flow if done right.

Old December 9th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #12
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
...that changes the ball game big time. You have a completely different setup from someone who has stock with bolt on pod filter and exhaust.

Sooooo your 117-120 main jet is very different from my 110-112. There it is. You shouldn't be recommending jets based on experience on your particular setup to someone that doesn't have internal work done. Again, no offense, but that defeats the purpose of asking folks with similar setups for jetting advice.

Why would we port and polish if it does nothing? It increases flow if done right.
Its not a port and polish as in head work, its a minor port polish, as in the port was polished with factory porting. (Even simpler the casting flaws were removed and polished, no porting was done). Shouldn't effect jetting much at all, although I guess it does increase flow a hair.

Old December 10th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #13
quarterkawa
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2004 EX250F

HoneyBadger and Chone, thanks for the input, this gives me an excellent starting point. And while I do not have any head work (that I know of) I now know when I do, I'll need to re jet to compensate.

Old December 10th, 2015, 07:18 AM   #14
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Dynojet jets are a pain IMO.

The numbers/sizes are close but not the same as the Kehin jets.

If you are using Dynojet jets you need to tune by trial and error.

Anyone using Dynojet jets please note it if you are posting jet sizes.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #15
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Dynojet jets are a pain IMO.

The numbers/sizes are close but not the same as the Kehin jets.

If you are using Dynojet jets you need to tune by trial and error.

Anyone using Dynojet jets please note it if you are posting jet sizes.

I was posting both keihn and dynojet numbers as stated. This is a popular chart to compare. (Although not exactly accurate, its close.) http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_miku...ihin_sizes.htm