ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 11th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #241
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Nice ride Dave. I know we were hard on you. You made a good choice and who knows, by the time you are ready to get a bike maybe the Ninja will have a FI model for us poor US buyers. Stay safe and study hard.

Old October 11th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #242
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Thankfully it is not the new dumb hatch-back version.

Get the real racing wing for the back of that thing so that the trunk doesn't look so empty. Pretty sure they made one version that still allowed the trunk to function with the wing installed. Put some LEDs up on the wing for you high mount brake light, maybe light up the entire width of the wing.

Always wanted an "old" model Impressa to make the rally race car that they used to run. It was the basis for the WRX version and you used to be able to buy most of the parts for the mild rally car.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #243
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Quote:
You should see if there's a rally class in your area. I know in Washington, there's a class you can take with an unmodified car. It's to teach you how to drive like a rally driver, but without the danger to either yourself or the car

Beowuff,
I have been looking for that class. Do you have a link for that?? I am really interested but have failed to find a class. Everyone say in Bremerton somewhere but I can't find out where exactly.

I drive one of the new dumb hatch back STI's !!!! I would love to gain more skills in a controlled enviroment. Rather than the grocery store parking lot like most around here.

I had a 07 WRX it was fun also! Enjoy it Dave and watch that HP!!

Old October 12th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #244
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartan View Post
Do you have a link for that??
Here's a link to a place that does classes all over the PNW... Last weekend was in Oregon. The next class is in Alaska... You could probably contact them about the next time they're in WA or go to OR...

http://www.get-primitive.com/

Click "Rally School" on the right menu.

Here's a bunch of local Washington rally links...
http://www.nwr-scca.org/
http://www.nwrally.com/index.htm
http://www.olympicrally.org/

And some not so local links...
http://www.scca.org/home.aspx

One thing I've noticed. Rally people seem to have very bad web sites...
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #245
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Well done Dave. Well done.

Old October 12th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #246
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Very nice Dave -you redeemed yourself. Not to mention I have the '04 in blue and love her - though I do still prefer the 250, I can always have fun in my WRX As for the comments about insurance and tickets... knock on wood I have no tickets and my insurance is around $800 per year, but then again, I'm a girl and married so that probably helps a little 0 it isn't any worse than the hubby's GTI as far as insurance costs go

Old October 12th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #247
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:
So what does the shotgun and vagina-licking sign have to do with speed? Well, anyways I'm glad to see that another citizen of NJ has joined the resistance by being a gun owner.... I hear it is worse than Kalifornia there.
bored while hunting. Being a gun owner is pretty hardcore out here...you need a FID card for ANYTHING pellet guns included, and the laws are getting stricter every year. I work at a gun store and signing people up for every pistol ammunition purchase is really annoying. As for insurance...I really dont mind. I was talking with my friends and they say my insurance cost the same as theirs....Im not worried about it I need to pay of this car, then its affordable. I just bought a small spoiler for this thing and I have plans to give the engine some more beef down the road. For now, just school, work, and duck hunting season.

-Dave

Old October 12th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #248
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Well if you work at a gun store, then you must be alright.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #249
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Yeah you would think so, but not really. Don, a guy I work with who has been there 8 years. It took him 8 months to get pistol permits (Something that should, by law, only take 30 days or less) It took me 75 days to get my firearms purchaser ID card...something that should...again by law...only take 30 days to get. : D I <3 NJ

Old October 13th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #250
TogaLive
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Austin

Motorcycle(s): None yet, Ninja 250r to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavid2002 View Post
Without going overboard here is a little backround information. My name is dave, and i have grown up around motorcycles. My father rode when he was young, and sold his bike. When I wa about ten he took me and my brother to a ORV off road vehicle course where i rode a dirtbike for the first time. I was hooked. I immediately started saving for a bike, but a few months before I could buy one my mom moved to nj and my dad stayed in MI. My mom worked in the E.R. (I know her opinion on motorcycles is WAY biased) and she is against motorcycles. The subject got set aside. "When your 18 you can do what you want untill then you are my kid' So here we are years down the road and now i'm 18. i brought up the motorcycle again. I took a MSF course and went to the DMV to get my license. I told my mom i wanted a motorcycle and she said no. She explained why and my rebuttle was how I am purchasing a small bike *250, I will install a HL modulator, i dont speed, I have taken safety courses and i will continue to take them, i will ATGATT, etc....I mean i spent a LOT of time on this. 7 months this conversation went on. Meeting with my therapist, with me and her in the room. His ultimate conclusion was not my safety, because i have done nearly every safety precaution you could posibly imagine. The problem was my mom, and her instablility and feelings about me being on a motorcycle. We agreed she had a lot of undue stress on her and promised to talk about it in the spring of 2010. I recently found out from a conversation she had with an uncle that she had no intentions of bringing it back up in the spring, where I planned to buy a bike in the spring. I confronted her about the situation and she simply said while your living in my house you wont have a motorcycle. This is big to me....Promising someone one thing, and having them find out it was all just plan to make me stfu for a few more months until the spring is something else. I have a plan though. Everyone...and EVERYONE has said the problem is her and her insecurities. Regardless I WILL get a motorcycle when I move out and she WILL know about it...same undue stress. I found a plan that works for both of us

I have a fair chunk of change set aside for a ninja, I can buy it, and pay money to store it. When I feel like riding, i will saya im hanging out with a friend (Not really a lie he is buying a ninja too and were going to ride) and I will drive to the storage facility where I keep my bike (18 bucks a month) and ill pop it out, drive it, when im done ill park it and drive home. If I HAD to store it there for 3 years until I am out of college it would cost me 650$ However i will only be keeping it there for the spring summer, and some of the fall. My friends mom says I can winterise it and keep it in her backyard. Where his bike will be.

Conclusion:
I get my bike, and I get to ride like I have for over 8 years.....
Mom knows nothing and she doesnt have to worry about anything......

I know...What happens if I get into an accident? I will have insurance, and i am confident that i am taking so many safety precautions and workiing so hard to be a defencive safe driver that the chances of me getting into an accident are minimal(IMO). I have done a lot of research on this subject.

Has anyone else done something similar? How can someone be HAPPY someone else is risking their life? It never happens....Im sure many of you have GF's Wives' MOMs or equivalent that don't want you on a bike....but you got one anyways....Any stories?
How do you guys feel about this?
Hey there, I'm almost in the exact situation. Im 17, and I drive like a grandma lol But I am saving for a Ninja 250, only thing is I've been told that I am not allowed to ride a bike as long as I live under my parents roof, so I've resigned myself to waiting until I am in college in about 8 months. What I would like to point out to you, is regardless of whether or not you have your own health insurance, until you are 21 if you get into a wreck and become a vegetable or a paraplegic/quadriplegic your parents are BY LAW still responsible for you, and that would be a terrible thing to do to them, especially if they didnt even know you were riding yet. Just put yourself in your mothers position...

"Hello Mrs. ***** my name is David and I'm calling from the hospital, your son was in a motorcycle accident..."

"*Expected crying and freaking out and she asks how bad it is*"

"Well he has been in a coma ever since the accident, his brain activity is currently in a vegetative state." (AKA your screwed Mrs. *****, you just wasted the last 18 years of your life raising a kid who went behind your back, only to make crash and be brain dead, so now you get to choose whether to pull the plug or not)

Not exactly something I'd like to put my parents through. I recognize the risks of riding a motorcycle as we all do, and I accept them as we all do and I'm sure as you do, but its been said once and I'll say it again, you can be the best driver out there, hell you could OWN the MSF, but its not you that will get you killed, its the soccer mom in the minivan, or the teenage bad ass in his Mitsubishi who doesn't look where they are going and ends up with you as a hood ornament.

If your going to risk you life, like we all do, at least give your mother the courtesy of abiding by her rules, after all you are 18, so if it really is something that you cannot wait for, sounds to me like you could easily move out, heck im 17 with a good job that I've had for the past 2 years, and I might even move out before I graduate from high school lol But I will still honor the wishes of the ones who raised me for those 17, almost 18 years now, by waiting until I am in college.
TogaLive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #251
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Your behind my brotha...lol the choice was already made no more lectures, especially by someone who is still on their learners permit LOL

Old October 15th, 2009, 07:23 AM   #252
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

So... you're not buyin' a horse after all?
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #253
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

$160/month is not bad at all for a new driver in a WRX. You must live in the boonies..... You'd be paying 2-3x that on LI. Good luck, it's a nice car.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #254
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
So... you're not buyin' a horse after all?
He bought a bunch of horses

Old October 15th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #255
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

My friend was the safest rider out there. I mean, he stayed away from canyons and the track because he just didn't like the thought of crashing. He didn't speed, and always wore protective gear at all times.

Unfortunately, an elderly lady in her 80s made an illegal left turn in front of him and took his life this year.

Moral of the story, you can ride as safe as you can but when it's your time...it's your time. Not that I'm not advocating safety first but I'm just saying.

With that said, if you really want it...then buy it, but ride safe. We don't always do what our parents tells us to do.

Heck, I bought my first bike behind my parents' back. But my story is different: I support my parents.

Been in several accidents, broken bones, etc. and I'm still here.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #256
Kawasabi
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): RED 250R

So when are you gonna trade in the Suba for the Kawi?
Kawasabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #257
P1NDLESK1N
ninjette.org member

Name: Dario

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Ninja 300 (Sold), 2016 Z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
$160/month is not bad at all for a new driver in a WRX. You must live in the boonies..... You'd be paying 2-3x that on LI. Good luck, it's a nice car.
Right? I pay ****in 200 a month on my 2000 ford taurus.

Glad to see this story has a happy ending.
P1NDLESK1N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2010, 06:52 PM   #258
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Gotta be honest with you guys....since I have last responded to this thread...I have gone to stage 2 in my WRX. Added a short throw shifter, upgraded the brakes, swapped out the stock up for a catless one, put a SR*S catback on it, put a wing on it, Tuned the car for 93 octane, and put some goodyear Eagle GT tires on the car......

Its fast as ****...I dont need to do any more engine modifications. Acceleration is insane I can boost 18.5 PSI so quick. Stage 2 is like insta-spool.... Im pushing about 300 HP with it now...
Its a fun car to drive and with the recent blizzards in NJ its been great in the snow SUBARU WITH THE AWD FTW. But I always think about the bike....I'll get one when im older.

Just giving you guys the "One year later...." info. I would snap a picture but not much has changed aesthetically. You can see my new red calipers...my CBE and the new wing...thats about it.

Thanks fellas
-Dave

Old February 21st, 2010, 10:13 PM   #259
subiegy2010
noob in training

Name: Ilya

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (sold) '05 SV650S

Why do like 50% of Kawi riders have Subies? I've noticed that so much on Kawiforums.com and now here...

Did you get front and rear bushings for you short shifter? If you didn't then it isn't complete. You also need to get a down pipe to complete stage 2 and you car was tuned "for 93" from the factory; you just tuned it for the catless up pipe. Did you get the STi wing? I hope your car has the supporting mods to make it look good cuz w/o things like STi side skirts or a drop, it looks like poop. Also, don't let the AWD FTW mentality get to your head too much, it doesn't help you stop or turn (unless you drift turns ) ; ESPECIALLY on all season tires like what you have. I have some Bridgestone RE960AS, which are some the highest rated UHPAS tires out there and let me tell you, they are no dream in the snow. According to tirerack, what you have are even worse for winter. Now go back to NASIOC and enjoy modding.
subiegy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:29 AM   #260
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Did you get front and rear bushings for you short shifter? If you didn't then it isn't complete. You also need to get a down pipe to complete stage 2 and you car was tuned "for 93" from the factory; you just tuned it for the catless up pipe. Did you get the STi wing? I hope your car has the supporting mods to make it look good cuz w/o things like STi side skirts or a drop, it looks like poop. Also, don't let the AWD FTW mentality get to your head too much, it doesn't help you stop or turn (unless you drift turns ) ; ESPECIALLY on all season tires like what you have. I have some Bridgestone RE960AS, which are some the highest rated UHPAS tires out there and let me tell you, they are no dream in the snow. According to tirerack, what you have are even worse for winter. Now go back to NASIOC and enjoy modding.
No I didnt pay 60$ extra for bushings.

Also... of course I have a downpipe...thats what stage 2 is. I have an ERZ downpipe installed. It a high flow catted downpipe. I put it in when I put my ERZ flex up pipe in.

STAGE 1-tune
STAGE 2- downpipe and tune
And yes...AWD DOES help you turn if your into accelerating through turns....When you race do you just coast through turns? Doubt it....

No...the car was NOT tuned for 93 from the factory. It even says in the owners manual 87 can be run in the engine if needed. If I run 87 in the engine now it will ping its ASS off.

As for the tires...weve just had a shitload of snow here in NJ. These tires have been running great.

Also....STI side skirts? Drop? Lowered cars look better wingless...and a lot of STI cars put WRX side skirts on the car to match the wing
http://www.newlarp.com/josh/sideskirts003.jpg Like this guy( I dont like his hood scoop by the way ). Ill snap a picture of the car sometime soon and post it up.

In short..
Quote:
You also need to get a down pipe to complete stage 2 and you car was tuned "for 93" from the factory; you just tuned it for the catless up pipe.
Yes I did, No it wasnt, No I didnt

Quote:
I hope your car has the supporting mods to make it look good cuz w/o things like STi side skirts or a drop, it looks like poop
Not true either, check out the vast majority of dropped cars on NASIOC

Quote:
I have some Bridgestone RE960AS, which are some the highest rated UHPAS tires out there and let me tell you, they are no dream in the snow. According to tirerack, what you have are even worse for winter.
Really? When I searched tire rack had them listed under Ultra High performance All-Season...
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...Model=Eagle+GT
With a user rating of over 8/10

Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:37 PM   #261
subiegy2010
noob in training

Quote:
No I didnt pay 60$ extra for bushings.

Also... of course I have a downpipe...thats what stage 2 is. I have an ERZ downpipe installed. It a high flow catted downpipe. I put it in when I put my ERZ flex up pipe in.
Should have mentioned it then. The $60 bushings were probably one of the best bang for the buck mods I have on my car. They making shifting SO much more crisp. The short shifter helps but it's the bushings that are worth writing home about.
Quote:
STAGE 1-tune
STAGE 2- downpipe and tune
And yes...AWD DOES help you turn if your into accelerating through turns....When you race do you just coast through turns? Doubt it....
Yeah, notice how I said "unless you drift." Most of the time that's not gonna save you though unless you have lots of experience or proper training/education. It's especially not going to save you at high speeds in the snow on all-seasons. Also have fun with the notoriously over-sensitive ABS when you're trying to stop after you realize you can't really turn.
Quote:
No...the car was NOT tuned for 93 from the factory. It even says in the owners manual 87 can be run in the engine if needed. If I run 87 in the engine now it will ping its ASS off.
Every OBDII car is required to be able to run on 87, it's a law. If you run 87 on the stock tune it still runs like ass. I'm not saying the stock tune is good, it actually sucks quite a bit, but it IS meant to run 93; read the owners manual that you quoted.
Quote:
As for the tires...weve just had a shitload of snow here in NJ. These tires have been running great.
Compared to what? Have you ever driven on winter tires or are you just comparing to a FWD car with bald all-seasons like most people are used to? AWD on any tires will handle better than FWD with those same tires in the winter.

Quote:
Also....STI side skirts? Drop? Lowered cars look better wingless...and a lot of STI cars put WRX side skirts on the car to match the wing
http://www.newlarp.com/josh/sideskirts003.jpg Like this guy( I dont like his hood scoop by the way ). Ill snap a picture of the car sometime soon and post it up. WRX side skirts are fine too, I just meant that having no skirts and a big ol' wing looks terrible. See here:
Personal opinion, but I think the Impreza body looks bad wingless, it at least needs an STi Limited lip spoiler or the rear windshield spoiler 07 STi's had (the name escapes me). The back looks naked without at least somerthing on there. However, if you have just the park bench wing without side skirts/drop it ends up looking like this:

Yes, I know it's not a WRX, but that's what a WRX TR looks like besides the rims and the hood. WRX side skirts are fine too, my point was you need SOME sort of side skirts to make the car look proportional rather than like a 4x4.

Quote:
In short..

Yes I did, No it wasnt, No I didnt

Not true either, check out the vast majority of dropped cars on NASIOC
See above picture. Show me a single car that doesn't have either WRX or STi side skirts and/or a drop that looks good with the STi wing. It looks ridiculous and out of place without at least one of those two factors.
Quote:
Really? When I searched tire rack had them listed under Ultra High performance All-Season...
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...Model=Eagle+GT
With a user rating of over 8/10
I guess you decided to disregard that their winter ratings aren't even in the green area (under 7 besides light snow traction). I won't even go into how they only have one rating in the dark green on the entire chart.

Debates are so fun.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:49 PM   #262
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Can you send me a link to the winter section on the tires?

I think the WRX skirts look better than the STI skirts...they dont have any "Flow" to em... But thats an opinion

As for the 93....you can run 93 in the car....but it ran just fine with 91...and my engine never pinged with 87 in it. If it doesnt ping...and I go UP 4 octane...I would say its more than legitimate.

To be honest when I installed the KB SS I was pretty unimpressed. I would like some bushings...but it would be stupid for me to spend that kind of money on a luxury part right now. Ill more than likely never get around to it...

As for the tires...im comparing them to the tires that are on the other subaru in the family. The forester... It has some dunlops on it...

As for the law requirements with 87 octane... there are a lot of laws with cars people ignore : ) Im sure your car runs 87 cherry right?

Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:13 PM   #263
subiegy2010
noob in training

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=Eagle+GT
Click on the survey tab to see all the ratings, including winter. Here is a list of all UHPAS tires and their ratings:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

As far as WRX vs STI skirts, I think they both look fine. My point was that without them the STI spoiler looks very out of place.

The bushings are well-worth it, trust me on that one. When you get a bit of spending money, I recommend that you pick some up. You won't be sorry.

Yes, there are a lot of laws with cars that people ignore, but in order for a car to be sold in the USA it needs to pass certain guidelines. After 1997 when OBDII became the standard, it became a requirement that all OBDII cars be able to run on 87. Nobody said run well on 87, but they will run. It probably did ping on 87, you just didn't notice it because it probably wasn't bad. Subaru's on stock tuning maps ping regardless of the gas you put in them; which goes back to why I said "the stock tune sucks quite a bit." If you need proof of that, read up on NASIOC.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:53 PM   #264
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiegy2010 View Post
After 1997 when OBDII became the standard, it became a requirement that all OBDII cars be able to run on 87.
I've never heard this, and would be very interested in learning more about it. I've owned a number of cars since '97 that each have required premium fuel to prevent detonation. Yes, the knock sensors do their best to adjust the timing further and further back to avoid knocking if possible, but AFAIK there is no requirement or law that cars run on 87. Turbo cars in particular, especially higher-compression ones + higher boost, typically mandate 91 as a minimum. Running 87 in it and applying a decent load to the engine wouldn't be a good idea.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2010, 08:30 PM   #265
subiegy2010
noob in training

Most of the links on the OBD II site are dead now so it's hard to find the exact requirements that the EPA set back in 1996. This is the closest thing I could find:
http://www.ehow.com/about_5498871_ca...emium-gas.html
Look under the modern cars section. I'm going to keep looking for the official article but I don't know if I'll be able to find it.

The basic jist of the OBD II requirement in question is that all compliant cars must be able to run on 87 octane, this doesn't mean it is good for them or damage won't be caused if used regularly. Basically all it means is that if you're in the middle of nowhere and happen to stop at a mom'n'pop gas station that only has 87 gas, you can fill up and drive off to civilization where you can then buy the gas your car is meant to use. This is assuming the car is stock, if it has been modified then all of this is thrown out the window and serious damage may even be caused by a single tank of the wrong gas.

The whole point of my initial argument was that the WRX, with its turbocharged engine, is tuned to run on premium gas from the factory (91 or 93 depending on where you live), just like all the other turbo cars I can think of. OP claimed that this was not true and that the manual even states that the car can run on 87 "if needed." I'm just saying that the "if needed" part is the case on all OBD II cars, it doesn't mean the car is tuned for optimum performance or safety with 87 octane gas.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:14 PM   #266
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by subiegy2010 View Post
The basic jist of the OBD II requirement in question is that all compliant cars must be able to run on 87 octane, this doesn't mean it is good for them or damage won't be caused if used regularly.
I'd be interested in finding any original links on this, as I'm afraid it's just not accurate. I searched for awhile as well and found nothing of the sort.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:24 PM   #267
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Here's a link to the entire register of OBDII regulations. I checked every file under each heading,

Light Duty Vehicles
Heavy Duty Vehicles
OBD and Inspection and Maintenance
Vehicle Service Information
Training Resources

and I couldn't find the word "octane" in any one of 'em.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:38 PM   #268
subiegy2010
noob in training

Meh, I remember reading it somewhere, I'll keep looking later. Maybe it's just a coincidence that all cars after 1996 will run on 87 (not necessarily run well, but they will run). *shrugs*

Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:44 PM   #269
subiegy2010
noob in training

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1550454
Read post 13, 15, 17, 23. That isn't where I initially read it a few years ago but I guess those guys agree with me.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:21 AM   #270
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I don't think what you're saying is wrong, in fact I agree that just about any street legal car can run fine on 87, even if it is spec'd for 91. It's only when the loads get high, the temperatures get up there, that there is a higher likelihood of pinging or more serious detonation problems. But if someone is moderate with the throttle, odds are everything will be fine.

I'm just saying that the rollout of OBDII has absolutely nothing to do with that.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:13 PM   #271
subiegy2010
noob in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I don't think what you're saying is wrong, in fact I agree that just about any street legal car can run fine on 87, even if it is spec'd for 91. It's only when the loads get high, the temperatures get up there, that there is a higher likelihood of pinging or more serious detonation problems. But if someone is moderate with the throttle, odds are everything will be fine.
Yup.

But I do think the rollout of OBD II had something to do with that. I'm sure cars before OBD II which were made for 91+ would also work on 87, but with OBD II, the EPA made it a rule/mandate. Again, I'm having trouble finding a direct source which I read a while ago; the best I can do is offer the above link in which 4 other people say the exact same thing. I'm sure I could scour other forums across the internet and find more of the same but I only searched one because I'm a member there.

Old February 24th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #272
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Heres the machine...
I was in the process of painting the calipers so I snapped some pix. Im ordering new brakes (I have some hawk HPS pads sitting in the closet right now...and some cryo rotors on the way. I figured ill paint the calipers now so when the new equipment gets here I wont freak if any paint gets on em ....

Old February 25th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #273
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
This has become a car thread so I'm going to lobby to have it moved to the Japanese auto forum.

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #274
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
This has become a car thread so I'm going to lobby to have it moved to the Japanese auto forum.
Yup - this thread has been by the WRX.

......I've been waiting for the opportunity to use that picture

Old February 25th, 2010, 11:30 PM   #275
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

edit: OK I guess I should have read on as it turned into kittens and WRXs. :P
Quote:

This is exactly what im saying.....what changes once I live by myself? Nothing! For her, im still at risk, the roads are still just as dangerous. However, for me...everything changes, my financial obligations, my priorities, my time, etc.... its absurd. Weve been neck and neck over this for months and months now. I meet with my therapist on the 22cnd Im going to ask his opinion on the subject. If I get hurt riding the bike thats on me. it would have happened when im 30 or 40 or 50 it will happen when im 18 if its going to. However, I am a safe driver and a defensive one.
Ok I haven't read any of the replies after this one but it sounds to me like you came here for justification of your actions and not for advice on them. I've done the very same things before though.

What changes when you move out is exactly that, you've moved out. As long as you're living with her it's her rules, her money, her house payments, her electric bill, her water bill, her gas bill and I suppose you're even still a dependent on her taxes. Of course drivers won't get any better but your mom is using all the leverage she has to keep you as safe as she can.

If you go behind her back with this bike it could seriously put a dent in your relationship with her and if you have to live with her it won't be easy after that. My mother is a nurse as well and she was not happy about the idea of a bike but to introduce her to my idea I first talked about how I had just taken the MSF course for some fun. I let it sit for another month before I bought the bike. I didn't even ride it to her house for another month after that. I understand your situation is a different but what I'm trying to say is this isn't something you can rush at all and get away with. I let it settle for two months and I still only get a disapproving "be careful, I worry" from my mom.

My dad, on the other hand (who I live with) is all for me being adventurous. He suggested I go work on an offshore oil rig (dangerous as hell) for 6 months or go work on the merchant marines just to get around the world hehe.

Old June 29th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #276
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

How old is this thread?

For those of you who have been on the forums long enough to have seen this prior I figured I would post an update. My mom and I worked things out, I picked this up a few days ago.

I paid a friend of mine 100$ to borrow his street legal 225cc yamaha. I rode it for a week and put 1,000 miles on it! After that I decided I wanted something a bit bigger so I could ride on the highway. On the ride back to the guys house I even blew a spoke into the tube and got a flat going 70mph!
I saved up enough to get my own. The bike has 4,100 miles on it, and has been laid down once before. It wouldn't start so I got it cheap. The owner thought it needed a starter so I got it for 1,300! I work on cars, so how hard could motorcycles be? After fiddling with it for a few minutes I bypassed the clutch slider sensor and it started right up! Runs like a champ! I took it for a short ride before I pulled it apart. I also got new handlebars for it (The old ones were bent) throttle drum, clutch adjuster, chain lube, and a few other goodies.

I bought a helmet, jacket, and gloves online yesterday.

I had a lot of people give me advice here, and I updated it with my WRX. I figured people who stayed with it would get a kick out of this.

Thanks guys

-Dave

Old June 29th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #277
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
This thread is almost 2 years old.
Well it sure took you long enough to convince your mom. Aren't you 18 by now? lol.
Seriously, congatulations on the new bike. Ride safe so your mom will know she made the right choice in letting you have it.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #278
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Excellent choice and buy Dave! You will LOVE that bike!
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #279
Alex
ninjette.org dude

GS500 is another great way to get into motorcycling. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, very reliable, and cheap to fix if needed. Good work!

Old June 29th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #280
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
Did you work it out before or after she got a switch from the tree?
After