adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Skool Daze

DVRs are a wonderful invention.

I just spent a very productive couple of hours watching the Moto2 race from Catalunya. Rather than pay attention the race itself (which was GREAT and went down to the very last lap), I decided to focus on the riders' actual actions. Technique.

When you look intently at a race through that lens, you learn a whole lot.

I got some real insights into the timing and sequence of moves going into a corner. Stuff that you see only when you get the helicopter vantage point, and can repeat frame-by-frame. It's really cool.

For example... when you see these guys from the helicopter, it becomes very clear that from the full-tuck, full-throttle blast down the straight, the very first thing they do is move their butt to one side. This isn't that apparent from ground level, but from above it's really obvious.

It happens about a second before they sit up and reach for the brake lever. When the suspension compresses (indicating braking), they're already well off the bike with the inside knee stuck out.

That means the braking forces aren't really absorbed by squeezing the tank with both knees. They're using the inner thigh and knee of the high-side leg.

Also... the peg on the high side is in their instep, while the peg on the low side is near their toes. That means their feet are moving back and forth on the pegs all the time. It's a real dance.

I love this stuff. The fine points. Seeing what's happening and thinking about why it's happening. It really appeals to my analytical nature.

I feel that I"m at a turning point, just on the edge of opening a new door after so many years of just riding without really focusing on the true art.

I'm in this intense learning/discovery mode and can't wait until I get back to the track to try these things out.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old June 20th, 2015, 05:09 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Cool, you did this. I done it about 2yrs ago and still do it from time to time. Check their behinds in a chicane. Some riders are already on the high side of the seat before the bike leans over to that side.

I will be a coaching a Mid-Ohio twilight (mostly advanced riders) tomorrow and this is some of the stuff we cover. More advanced riding skills and line selections. Other things like, very late turnins + very high corner entry speed don't go together. When to pick the bike up and pin it! Things like that make the difference between a ride with a lap time of 1:45's vs. another with 1:39's.

Cool stuff! Learn as much as you can!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 20th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Also... the peg on the high side is in their instep, while the peg on the low side is near their toes. That means their feet are moving back and forth on the pegs all the time. It's a real dance.
I a 20+ lap race, things like that give your feet a much needed break. My feet would hurt pretty good on day 2 if I stayed on my toes ALL the time.

Nice catch!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Thank you, sensei.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote