ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old June 30th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #1
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Angry so F-ing pissed right now

So I decided to take off the tank slapper protector I had on for last two years and put on a regular tank protector. I bought the $20 one at cycle gear and followed the directions completely. The 3M tape stuck fine to my tank, but the protector itself peeled off from the adhesive. I then tried to put it back on and tape it down with making tape overnight to see if it would form to tank, to no avail this did not work. Then I went balls out and put clear silicone on it, still won't stay down and my tank looks like a ****ing disaster! Don't know what to do next, or how to even remove the 3M adhesive. Please help!
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #2
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
So I decided to take off the tank slapper protector I had on for last two years and put on a regular tank protector. I bought the $20 one at cycle gear and followed the directions completely. The 3M tape stuck fine to my tank, but the protector itself peeled off from the adhesive. I then tried to put it back on and tape it down with making tape overnight to see if it would form to tank, to no avail this did not work. Then I went balls out and put clear silicone on it, still won't stay down and my tank looks like a ****ing disaster! Don't know what to do next, or how to even remove the 3M adhesive. Please help!
Goo Gone and a microfiber cloth. It'll take it all off don't worry.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #3
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
Goo Gone and a microfiber cloth. It'll take it all off don't worry.
Thank you, will try that. But will be without any protection on tank, what to do about that?

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #4
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

clean it proper and apply a ProGrip tankpad...

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:02 AM   #5
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

After you get it all off and you get your new tank pad, make sure to clean the area with Isopropyl Alcohol/water mix before putting it on. Like 50/50 in a spray bottle is fine.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:05 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Pro hillbilly trick: try an eraser, maybe a bit of heat from a hair dryer too

When the job is big or really tough a 3M adhesive eraser wheel normally does the job with ease, but.... you can knock off the clear with those wheels on a drill.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 30th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #7
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Pro hillbilly trick: try an eraser, maybe a bit of heat from a hair dryer too

When the job is big or really tough a 3M adhesive eraser wheel normally does the job with ease, but.... you can knock off the clear with those wheels on a drill.

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of, clearing off the clear coat

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:22 AM   #8
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

What makes the progrip better than the speed metal? Don't they both use the 3M adhesive? The speed metal one from cycle gear does

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
The most difficult part to remove will be the clear silicone you put on. The other adhesive should roll-up with sideways pressure or try some duct tape to pull it/slide it off.

Next step would be adding heat from a hair dryer. Then using Goo Gone or some type of solvent that will not harm the finish.

The silicone doesn't breakdown easily though, and most likely will be the most difficult to remove. I've used Mineral Spirits and Acetone to help remove dried silicone, but you need to be careful of the paint.

As noted - clean it very well before trying to apply a new one. Because of the silicone, I would spend some extra time cleaning.

If nothing is working, post a photo.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #10
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
The most difficult part to remove will be the clear silicone you put on. The other adhesive should roll-up with sideways pressure or try some duct tape to pull it/slide it off.

Next step would be adding heat from a hair dryer. Then using Goo Gone or some type of solvent that will not harm the finish.

The silicone doesn't breakdown easily though, and most likely will be the most difficult to remove. I've used Mineral Spirits and Acetone to help remove dried silicone, but you need to be careful of the paint.

As noted - clean it very well before trying to apply a new one. Because of the silicone, I would spend some extra time cleaning.

If nothing is working, post a photo.
That's the thing, I am afraid the next one will do the same thing. Is progrip that much better than speed metal. I cleaned tank with alcohol for this one and it stuck well. Adhesive came off of tank pad itself

Old June 30th, 2014, 10:21 AM   #11
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
That's the thing, I am afraid the next one will do the same thing. Is progrip that much better than speed metal. I cleaned tank with alcohol for this one and it stuck well. Adhesive came off of tank pad itself
If the problem started with the adhesive pulling off of the pad itself, I would contact the company - that's their responsibility. Getting it to stick to the tank is yours.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #12
NinjaZX6R123
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ninja

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX6R, 2009 Ninja 250R

I never use the adhesive that comes along with the pads. They always suck for me. I peel it off and use silicone adhesive and let it cure over night. To remove, blow dryer followed by goo gone.
NinjaZX6R123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #13
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
just for future reference WD40 works fairly well for removing adhesive glue whatever.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 30th, 2014, 11:35 AM   #14
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
http://www.mag-knight.com/ may be of interest to you... The 500's tank doesn't have a regular "sportbike-shaped" crotch area, so I got a couple of the universal ones. After a little trimming and softening it with the heat gun, it fits pretty well. It's stuck on there until I peel it off, but it's not permanently glued to it.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #15
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
If the problem started with the adhesive pulling off of the pad itself, I would contact the company - that's their responsibility. Getting it to stick to the tank is yours.
The company (or even Cycle Gear) will probably either refund or replace the tank pad at no charge.

It can happen even to a reputable company. When I bought my Tech Specs the same thing happened on one of the pads. I took pictures, emailed them to Tech Spec and they replaced it with no other questions asked. Shipped it for free and everything.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 12:52 PM   #16
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Buy jar of natural peanut butter, the kind that separates.

Use the oil to soften the adhesive. I'm not kidding.

Don't know if this works on silicone or not, but it work great on stickers.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2014, 09:58 AM   #17
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Quote:
What makes the progrip better than the speed metal? Don't they both use the 3M adhesive? The speed metal one from cycle gear does
The one you received might have a bad adhesive or its "shelf live" coulb be expired... Since the new gen is out from sometime now, Cycle Gear might have not "rotated" their stock of tank pad, so you got one that was made several years ago...

Goo Gone works very well, on OEM stickers (got my 2011 SE stickers off and the remaining adhesive cleaned very well with that) and some tape for hockey pad (wanted to protect my tail section while touring with saddle bags (but with the sun exposure and heat, the adhesive decided to stay on the bike and not on the tape) And bonus, it smells citrus...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2014, 10:40 AM   #18
NinjaZX6R123
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ninja

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX6R, 2009 Ninja 250R

FYI they sell goo gone at 99 cents store.
NinjaZX6R123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2014, 03:36 PM   #19
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaZX6R123 View Post
FYI they sell goo gone at 99 cents store.
Definitely will get some of this

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:57 PM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Buy jar of natural peanut butter, the kind that separates. Use the oil to soften the adhesive. I'm not kidding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg true.story.jpg (31.4 KB, 2 views)
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2014, 08:08 PM   #21
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I see that the title was censored.

Hope it cleans up easily, OP.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #22
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Thumbs up

So I returned the tank pad back to cycle gear, which wasa horrible experience. The female employee there was a complete c**t. She always is, but this time she pissed me off enough that I contacted customer support, needless to sayi will not be going back there. Hated having to drive thru the ghettos of Houston anyways. Thank you to all that suggested the Goo Gone. It worked perfectly. My new pro grip tank pad will be arriving in the mail today. Hope all goes well with this one. Will post a follow up after installation.

Old July 9th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #23
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Talking

Just got new pad put on. What a difference in the adhesive quality. One difference though is the speed metal pad was real carbon fiber and was thicker, but I think that the thickness was part of the reason it wouldn't form to the tank.

2014-07-09 16.39.04.jpg