ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 13th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #1
Datboii2wotone
ninjette.org member

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

New rider with a 250 issue

I just bought my bike a few days ago as a project and I've already ran into some issues with the bike.... So far the 1st two issues that I've come across is that the bike needs me to be on the clutch for it to idle in neutral. I've tried playing around with the shift lever to find 1st/neutral and so on, but that brings me to my second issue, as I was trying to find the gears, I tried to shift into second and the lever pulled around to where it pretty much flipped, I don't know where to even start my search for what is going on but I really do want to get riding... this is my 1st bike and I'm hoping to get it on the road soon so i can actually experience what my friends keep trying to get me into.
Datboii2wotone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datboii2wotone View Post
So far the 1st two issues that I've come across is that the bike needs me to be on the clutch for it to idle in neutral. I've tried playing around with the shift lever to find 1st/neutral and so on...
By "on the clutch", do you mean you have to pull the lever toward the handlebar to keep the engine running? It should keep running without having to pull the clutch lever if you're really in neutral (neutral light lit).

Quote:
but that brings me to my second issue, as I was trying to find the gears, I tried to shift into second and the lever pulled around to where it pretty much flipped...
Which lever? Clutch lever or shift lever? What do you mean by "flipped". These bikes, when stopped, won't go from neutral to 2nd gear. It's a feature to make neutral easy to find. If you stop in 1st gear, you can lift the shift lever all the way, and it will put you in neutral, unlike most other motorcycles that let you accidentally pass neutral and end up in 2nd.

If the gear lever moved out of position, it's very loose on the shaft, or the splines are completely stripped.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 13th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Datboii2wotone
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
By "on the clutch", do you mean you have to pull the lever toward the handlebar to keep the engine running? It should keep running without having to pull the clutch lever if you're really in neutral (neutral light lit).

Which lever? Clutch lever or shift lever? What do you mean by "flipped". These bikes, when stopped, won't go from neutral to 2nd gear. It's a feature to make neutral easy to find. If you stop in 1st gear, you can lift the shift lever all the way, and it will put you in neutral, unlike most other motorcycles that let you accidentally pass neutral and end up in 2nd.

If the gear lever moved out of position, it's very loose on the shaft, or the splines are completely stripped.
The light would be lit up but would still need my hand on the clutch lever to keep it idling. I also did a bit a of research and and read something about a clutch safety switch only issue is its very difficult to check when neutral still needs the clutch in either case. Also I can shift down to to first (it does click in from what I feel) and into neutral... I'm hoping it is just really loose

Old April 13th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Being in neutral should allow you to release the lever without stopping the engine. This circuit runs on the black and red wire at the clutch lever, which becomes light green after the plug there. If that light green wire from the neutral switch (on transmission) to the hand lever plug is broken, or if the clutch lever switch has failed, what you're experiencing would happen. The fact that the green neutral light is coming on means the neutral switch itself is OK.

The shift lever is splined onto the shift shaft. Any looseness is a problem, because movement causes wear, and it doesn't take long for things to get worn badly so they can't be tightened. You should take a close look there and see what's going on.

Old April 13th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #5
juliusmichaelhonrada
ninjette.org guru

Name: Julius Michael

Motorcycle(s): GPX250-RII

Quote:
The light would be lit up but would still need my hand on the clutch lever to keep it idling. I also did a bit a of research and and read something about a clutch safety switch only issue is its very difficult to check when neutral still needs the clutch in either case. Also I can shift down to to first (it does click in from what I feel) and into neutral... I'm hoping it is just really loose
cut the 2 wires going to the clutch lever , connect the two directly ,also do this on the side stand sensor on the harness side
juliusmichaelhonrada is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2017, 06:44 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

JMH, there are three wires going the the clutch switch. It's not particularly harder to get the circuit working properly than it is to permanently defeat it. It's possible that unplugging the 3-pin connector at the clutch switch, spraying some contact cleaner in it, and re-connecting it could solve the problem.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to tell a new rider with no experience to defeat the safety switches. Accidentally leaving the side stand down can be fatal. I rider I knew died that way when he was sent into oncoming traffic by the side stand.

Edit: JMH is correct to point out the side stand switch. Is the side stand retracted when you're having the problem?

Old April 14th, 2017, 07:56 AM   #7
highvoltj
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 1986 Ninja 250R (x2) '06 ZX6R 636

re:

I am just wondering...when you say the neutral light is on , yet you have to hold the clutch lever in to keep the engine idling, when you let the clutch out, does the engine stall because it is in gear? If the shift lever is tightly connected to the shift shaft and the splines are not stripped, I would suggest checking the shift shaft for lateral play. It may be that the shift shaft spring is broken or their is damage to the back end of the shaft and shift shaft detents, or shaft is not connected properly. Just a thought....
highvoltj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #8
Datboii2wotone
ninjette.org member

I think I'll just be replacing the motor due to and issue that arose the other night, and having someone take a look at it, i showed them what happened and they told me its more than likely a transmission issue. i got it to run and spin the rear tire while its lifted off the ground but outta no where it look like something caused it to completely lock up the rear wheel and you see the front sprocket shift upward.

Old April 15th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #9
highvoltj
ninjette.org member

Cool re:

Ouch!!! Yes...If the counter-shaft sprocket shaft moves around like that, probably has blown cases...I'm with you on replacing the motor.

Old April 15th, 2017, 08:16 PM   #10
Datboii2wotone
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highvoltj View Post
Ouch!!! Yes...If the counter-shaft sprocket shaft moves around like that, probably has blown cases...I'm with you on replacing the motor.
yeahhh.... i tried to move the chain a bit and you just see the front sprocket shift back and forth clear as day

Old April 16th, 2017, 07:20 AM   #11
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
before replacing the engine...remove and examine the sprocket to allow clear vision to the output shaft and case area behind the sprocket, no?

Is the sprocket loose, correctly attached, the correct sprocket to begin with?

You just bought it ...the seller claimed it was operational? Test ride?

A rather abrupt, extreme fix there. Better to be sure. In view this your 1st bike...get a second opinion..some actual experienced eyes in there. May not be as bad as you are led to believe.
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #12
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
yeahhh.... i tried to move the chain a bit and you just see the front sprocket shift back and forth clear as day
Take a picture or 2 or make a video showing the problem.

Don't plan on buying a new engine quite yet...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #13
Datboii2wotone
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
before replacing the engine...remove and examine the sprocket to allow clear vision to the output shaft and case area behind the sprocket, no?

Is the sprocket loose, correctly attached, the correct sprocket to begin with?

You just bought it ...the seller claimed it was operational? Test ride?

A rather abrupt, extreme fix there. Better to be sure. In view this your 1st bike...get a second opinion..some actual experienced eyes in there. May not be as bad as you are led to believe.
I've been trying to find local people who could help me out with it, but i can't afford shops hence the reason I would like to learn myself, and with the weather its difficult to get anyone to come by to look. Plus i have no way to transport the bike around town since i don't have a truck or trailer and i haven't ridden it yet I got home and just started inspecting parts.

Old April 16th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #14
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Perhaps a local forum member here could lend a hand?

If you were to create a separate post titled "looking for HELP, Sacremento, CA"

Explain you situation and needs...worth a shot. Be prepared and offer some sort of reasonable fee....minimum fuel $, a dinner, a 6 pack, something.

Worth a shot. Be patient.

As JKV suggested, in the meantime post a video, can't hurt. I'd advise not to make any rash moves...buying ebay engines or such...until such a time as its deemed terminal.

Do you have working space (garage) and tools?

Old April 17th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #15
Datboii2wotone
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Take a picture or 2 or make a video showing the problem.

Don't plan on buying a new engine quite yet...
When it comes to forums I'm still fairly new is there anyway to upload videos and photos without having to use other sites?

Old April 17th, 2017, 07:59 AM   #16
Datboii2wotone
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
Perhaps a local forum member here could lend a hand?

If you were to create a separate post titled "looking for HELP, Sacremento, CA"

Explain you situation and needs...worth a shot. Be prepared and offer some sort of reasonable fee....minimum fuel $, a dinner, a 6 pack, something.

Worth a shot. Be patient.

As JKV suggested, in the meantime post a video, can't hurt. I'd advise not to make any rash moves...buying ebay engines or such...until such a time as its deemed terminal.

Do you have working space (garage) and tools?
I do have garage space and few tools (last tool box I had was stolen from my car being broke into) and I'd accept any help I can get especially if I can save money lol

Old April 17th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #17
highvoltj
ninjette.org member

re:

Hey Daniel, I live in Santa Rosa, and sometimes go to Sac... but I would be more than happy to help you resolve some issue's over the tele until I get some time to get over that way....I've been working on bikes since I was a little tyke, so I have an idea of what I'm doing! LOL
It would be ultra-kool if it turns out to be something minor instead of engine replacement....
My cell 707-529-4363
Jon

Old April 17th, 2017, 05:14 PM   #18
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
well looky there Daniel!

Bowing out...my work is done here.