Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 11th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #1
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Riding in the wind... help please.

Last Memorial weekend, I decided to take a small little ride out on the freeway. I did pretty good, but there were a few things that I definitely needed to practice on more. One of my major concerns, was coming back home. I was riding in the fast lane and the wind pushed me into the next lane. Thank goodness there was room for that, so I got sandwiched in between two cars, but I started thinking, "Oh ****, what if I wasn't that lucky and there was a car there?" It was not a windy day at all, just normal wind you would get with riding, I would imagine. Does anyone have any tips for this, so it doesn't happen again?
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Overall you have to be loose on the bars. But.... you have to be fast on the draw to do what is needed to keep yourself in your own lane when a strong gust comes out of nowhere. And tuck down if needed, it helps too. Be weary of semi's and other large vehicles.

Now... prediction. There are clues if you read the cars/trucks ahead of you. They blow in the wind just the same. The trees will also give you warning. Watch with a wide view and you will know and the surprises will be somewhat minimized.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 11th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #3
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
If you're riding in a cross-wind, stick your leg out in the direction against the wind. It may look stupid but it helps.

Other than that just stay loose/relaxed, as you become more experienced wind will become less of an issue. On those really windy days you just gotta grin and bear it.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #4
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Dude you have to read the waves.

Serious
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #5
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
If the wind is blowing harder then 25 mph I think it stops being fun on the freeway. The 300 is much better in the wind then the 250 IMHO

Like has been said already tucking helps a lot stay loose and be quick to lean into the wind. Also be aware that big rigs will block the wind.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 11th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #6
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Hold on with legs and stay loose on the bars is the biggest thing for me. Tucking helps a lot too. I live in a windy high desert area and it's a pain.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #7
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Basically saying the same thing everyone else has said: tuck and try to relax. If the wind isn't constant, try to anticipate when the gusts blow to lean into it, but don't tense up. Definitely agree that the 300 handles wind a little better than the 250.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #8
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Go faster after you hit about 150 the wind won't mater.

Old June 11th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #9
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Ha, thanks all. I did tuck eventually and that was much better, but hmm. I felt I was pretty relaxed, until that happened, then I semi-panicked, but controlled it sort of by tapping on both brakes and pulling in the clutch a little (so I didn't fly into the shoulder).

Old June 11th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #10
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Its definitely something you need to get accustomed to. I know the first time I hit relatively mild winds, I was spooked but after riding there almost every day, it stopped being a problem.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Just react to the wind. On the 300, I'm constantly fighting the wind. The bike appears to be stable to others, but I can feel the way its being pushed in the wind. I've been riding in if I had to guess 25mph winds. Nothing major, but not just a little breeze. I had no issue staying in my lane. You just get used to it and make little adjustments with each wind blast. I actually recorded a video of the 300 on the highway, and it just so happens that that day was the windiest day I've ever been on the road. You'll get it with time.
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #12
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurodox View Post
Just react to the wind. On the 300, I'm constantly fighting the wind. The bike appears to be stable to others, but I can feel the way its being pushed in the wind. I've been riding in if I had to guess 25mph winds. Nothing major, but not just a little breeze. I had no issue staying in my lane. You just get used to it and make little adjustments with each wind blast. I actually recorded a video of the 300 on the highway, and it just so happens that that day was the windiest day I've ever been on the road. You'll get it with time.
You ever ride a 250 in the wind u will see why the 300 is more stable. Also op get a bigger bike like a zx-14 that will be even more stable.

Old June 11th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #13
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
@Aurodox - I actually saw your video awhile back and picked up a few things there for my own notes (I believe you're blipping the throttle? Etc). It was kind of funny because as soon as I got sandwiched in, I move over to the other lane and I'm like on the shoulder of the highway where the embankment meets. It felt like I was taming Bucephalus from Alexander...

Link to original page on YouTube.

I took video of my first maiden voyage, so here's me trying to tame my ninja 300 (sorry for the wind noise, I thought I had that under control). Starts at :05 seconds and the other one at :50.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 11th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #14
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
I took video of my first maiden voyage, so here's me trying to tame my ninja 300 (sorry for the wind noise, I thought I had that under control). Starts at :05 seconds and the other one at :50.
Woah that one at :50 looks like it could have ended badly. Props to keeping it under control!

Also, Does that happen to be I-5? Also, also, nice bike.

Also x3, That was me attempting to blip the throttle, and it just so happens that I blipped it pretty flawlessly on video! I'm still working on it, and I have a success rate of probably 40%. The majority of the time I probably look like some guy who can't ride cause I try to blip but I give it a bit too much gas causing the bike to jerk forward. It's funny how with over a decade of riding I've never heard of blipping the throttle until I came to this site. Always learning something new!

Old June 11th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Always learning something new!
Never stop learning.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #16
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Woah that one at :50 looks like it could have ended badly. Props to keeping it under control!

Also, Does that happen to be I-5? Also, also, nice bike.

Also x3, That was me attempting to blip the throttle, and it just so happens that I blipped it pretty flawlessly on video! I'm still working on it, and I have a success rate of probably 40%. The majority of the time I probably look like some guy who can't ride cause I try to blip but I give it a bit too much gas causing the bike to jerk forward. It's funny how with over a decade of riding I've never heard of blipping the throttle until I came to this site. Always learning something new!
Yeah, when I got there @ :50, I almost shat myself. "Oh ****, oh ****... whew!" I'm a pretty calm person and good under pressure, so I think that helped me out a bit.

No, that's Hwy 168 (it takes you all the way up to Shaver Lake, Huntington Lake, etc). I picked this particular hwy because it's less crowded.

I thought the blipping was done pretty smoothly on the video, so I was like "Ohhh that's how it's done, I see." I'm more of a visual person, so seeing things works better for me. I still have a long way to go with making my shifts go smoothly, as it's not that great.

Old June 11th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #17
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Out here, wind is a nightmare. I'm either riding into it or leaning deep into the crosswind.

To add to the rest of the good advice, I always keep an eye on the surrounding terrain. If no cars are around, the trees, bushes, grass, dirt etc will give you a heads up that a puff is coming or you should brace for something. (Comes from sailing a few times and learning to somewhat read the water to know if I have to hold on tighter to the lines so the jib or main sail wouldn't yank my arms off.)

If a headwind, tuck down tight and ride it out. If a cross wind, I always try riding on the upwind side of the lane so I have room to be pushed over without worrying about crossing the line. If its a semi, move away and tuck in for a bumpy ride.

It's interesting that the wind hit you from both sides. Was the wall causing the wind to come back and hit you from the left?
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 01:09 AM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Riding in the wind

(from the sticky thread in our Riding Skills area)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #19
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
It's interesting that the wind hit you from both sides. Was the wall causing the wind to come back and hit you from the left?
I think it was a combination of the wall and then the particular patch of hwy I was at. Where I was at was on this curved raised incline with no barrier protection for wind (now that I think about it more), so I think there was a corridor of air around there and somehow, I got stuck in that. I'll have to be more aware of all of this in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Riding in the wind

(from the sticky thread in our Riding Skills area)
Thanks Alex. I did a search for exactly those words and nothing came up. The stickies must not be apart of the search function?

Old June 12th, 2013, 06:10 AM   #20
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
I did a search for exactly those words and nothing came up. The stickies must not be apart of the search function?
The regular search sucks
I use the "google site search" under the search drop down. It is an extra click but much better results.

Old June 12th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #21
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Don't underestimate the force that your body can generate when exposed to the wind. Tuck. It makes a HUGE difference... and not only in keeping the bike from wandering. It also gives you noticeably more available power for passing and boosts your fuel economy too.

Next time you're in your car stick your hand out the window, palm flat on to the wind. Imagine that force multiplied many times (difference in surface area between your hand and your torso, arms and head). Easy to see the rationale here....

From your description you had a pucker-factor moment and stiffened up. Exactly the wrong thing to do, because you just turned yourself into a big kite.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 07:53 AM   #22
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Thanks Alex. I did a search for exactly those words and nothing came up. The stickies must not be apart of the search function?
It comes up with all search methods, but the standard search sometimes brings back too much. This is mainly because it's looking through entire threads for some pretty common words. I tend to get better results by either using the Advanced Search choice, then choosing to search in Titles of threads only, rather than entire thread content. Searching for "Riding in the wind" in titles only comes up with a very small number of threads, that are all right on point. The Google option does a reasonable job most of the time as well. There are limitations to the Google search that it can't search any subforum area here that requires registration, so most of the Forum Info subforums aren't included in the Google search results, but would be included in the standard or advanced searches.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 12th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #23
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
..........I was riding in the fast lane and the wind pushed me into the next lane. Thank goodness there was room for that..........
The most I have been pushed sideways by a cross-gust has been around one foot, and that was on wet pavement with both tires skidding at once in sustained wind velocity of around 25 mph.

As long as your contact patches are gripping, you have steering control to crab and compensate for that lateral force.

As others have explained above, you need to be expecting those gusts in cross-wind conditions and need to be quick to reacting with determined and precise counter-steering.

You need to be alert once you start seeing: "Large branches in motion. Whistling heard in overhead wires. Umbrella use becomes difficult. Empty plastic bins tip over."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufor...e#Modern_scale
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #24
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Naw, Twain describes it better when one must be aware of the wind...

"Still, there were sights to be seen which were not wholly uninteresting to newcomers; for the vast dust-cloud was thickly freckled with things strange to the upper air - things living and dead, that flitted hither and thither, going and coming, appearing and disappearing among the rolling billows of dust - hats, chickens, and parasols sailing in the remote heavens; blankets, tin signs, sage-brush, and shingles a shade lower; door-mats and buffalo-robes lower still; shovels and coal-scuttles on the next grade; glass doors, cats, and little children on the next; disrupted lumber yards, light buggies, and wheelbarrows on the next; and down only thirty or forty feet above ground was a scurrying storm of emigrating roofs and vacant lots."

-- Roughing It, Mark Twain
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
You ever ride a 250 in the wind u will see why the 300 is more stable. Also op get a bigger bike like a zx-14 that will be even more stable.
I don't notice a difference but maybe it's because I have a big ass 140 tire on my 250
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #26
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Never stop learning.
Permanoobs are cool!!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #27
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I don't notice a difference but maybe it's because I have a big ass 140 tire on my 250
Yep its all in the tire size

Old June 12th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #28
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Yep its all in the tire size
I disagree
I had 140s on my 250 also
Just an opinion

Old June 12th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I disagree
I had 140s on my 250 also
Just an opinion
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #30
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14

Old June 12th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #31
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Try getting rid of your stock front tire and get a radial and you'll have more stability in the wind, corners, brakes and anywhere else you can think of. And if you decide to get rid of your OEM rear tire for something sportier I'd be more them willing to take it off you hands hell if you local ill even mount your new tire for free
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #32
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

Quote:
Last Memorial weekend, I decided to take a small little ride out on the freeway. I did pretty good, but there were a few things that I definitely needed to practice on more. One of my major concerns, was coming back home. I was riding in the fast lane and the wind pushed me into the next lane. Thank goodness there was room for that, so I got sandwiched in between two cars, but I started thinking, "Oh ****, what if I wasn't that lucky and there was a car there?" It was not a windy day at all, just normal wind you would get with riding, I would imagine. Does anyone have any tips for this, so it doesn't happen again?
Try to stay as relax as possible on the handle bar.. another thing I've come across ( haven't tested on heavy wind yet but I assume it might work) is if the wind is moving you around a lot you can weigh one of the foot pegs in the direction you want the bike to go.. Let's say you want to stay on the left but the wind is pushing you farther right, you can lift the pressure off the right peg and weigh the left one and you'll c the bike changing direction to weighted peg... try it and c..
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #33
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
The most I have been pushed sideways by a cross-gust has been around one foot, and that was on wet pavement with both tires skidding at once in sustained wind velocity of around 25 mph.

As long as your contact patches are gripping, you have steering control to crab and compensate for that lateral force.

As others have explained above, you need to be expecting those gusts in cross-wind conditions and need to be quick to reacting with determined and precise counter-steering.

You need to be alert once you start seeing: "Large branches in motion. Whistling heard in overhead wires. Umbrella use becomes difficult. Empty plastic bins tip over."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufor...e#Modern_scale
Interesting read there Hernan, thanks for that. You're always full of good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Try getting rid of your stock front tire and get a radial and you'll have more stability in the wind, corners, brakes and anywhere else you can think of. And if you decide to get rid of your OEM rear tire for something sportier I'd be more them willing to take it off you hands hell if you local ill even mount your new tire for free
That offer is tempting, but unfortunately I'm not that local. I live 2 and a half hours away from you. I already have a mod list of things I want to do and yes, one of those things is getting rid of these tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJprod View Post
Try to stay as relax as possible on the handle bar.. another thing I've come across ( haven't tested on heavy wind yet but I assume it might work) is if the wind is moving you around a lot you can weigh one of the foot pegs in the direction you want the bike to go.. Let's say you want to stay on the left but the wind is pushing you farther right, you can lift the pressure off the right peg and weigh the left one and you'll c the bike changing direction to weighted peg... try it and c..
I didn't really think about this, I'll have to play around with that.

Old June 12th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #34
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'd argue that if you have time to think and react, the easiest solution would be to counter-steer instead of shifting weight to different pegs. At high speeds, shifting weight to different pegs doesn't really do much (at least that's what Twist of the Wrist II taught me). But if it works for you, then great!

Old June 13th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #35
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

Quote:
I'd argue that if you have time to think and react, the easiest solution would be to counter-steer instead of shifting weight to different pegs. At high speeds, shifting weight to different pegs doesn't really do much (at least that's what Twist of the Wrist II taught me). But if it works for you, then great!
Well I've tried it at around 65 and the bike seems to change direction...But the point I was making was instead of having to try to steer the bike to keep it straight and add unnecessary pressure on the bars, y not just weigh one of the pegs. It's effortless..when it's time to counter-steer, by all means he should do it..
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #36
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Well I've tried it at around 65 and the bike seems to change direction...But the point I was making was instead of having to try to steer the bike to keep it straight and add unnecessary pressure on the bars, y not just weigh one of the pegs. It's effortless..when it's time to counter-steer, by all means he should do it..
If she is pushed by anything in a direction she does not want to go she will need to push back, Newton said so. Counter-steering is the quickest least effort way to get that done.

Old June 13th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #37
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Is there any disadvantage to just putting pressure on the bars to crab into the wind? I suppose you can play around with weighting pegs or trying to body english the bike to lean into the wind but what is the advantage of that over simple, direct, and straightforward advice of just countersteering?
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #38
Alex
ninjette.org dude

No, bar input is always going to be a part of it. Using the additional techniques, it feels to the rider that less bar input is necessary to keep the bike pointed where desired.