ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 13th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #1
Felginator
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Can't start - stuck in gear

Just picked up a 2001 Ninja 250, the bike is not running at the moment and I wanted to share the symptoms with you all before I tear into it.

I cannot start the bike, according to the neutral indicator, the bike is in neutral but it seems like it is in gear. The clutch does seem to operate, but I can't shift into first.

When I try to start the bike, I just get a single click. Regarding the battery, it is charged and I have done a voltage test with a multimeter while trying to start and the voltage checks out.

When trying to rotate the rear wheel, it doesn't rotate freely and cannot rotate forwards, only backwards.

Is there an issue with the tranny I should look into? I thought about the clutch being a possible issue, the cable isn't broken but I am not sure what's going on inside.

Just wanted to see if there is anything you guys recommend looking into first before I go poking around inside the transmission.

Thanks
Felginator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Dragonracer76
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Don't look at me. According to my parents I can't even get my ass in gear.

Old November 13th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #3
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

It's very strange that it rotates backwards but not forwards.

I would look into that first...

Transmission I am guessing.

Old November 13th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

If the bike has sat for a long time(which it probably has) and it is a bit cold out then the clutch won't be very lubricated with oil. Or somethin like that. Which might explain why the rear wheel has resistance on it when you try to move it.

When I crashed my bike last year and I had the bike sitting for a few months before starting it, I had that same symptom. I though the transmission was messed up. But as soon as I got the bike started and the engine got warmed up the transmission and clutch went back to normal.

SO my advice for you is, Figure out how to get it running first, then see if the transmission/clutch still feels weird.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
If the bike has sat for a long time(which it probably has) and it is a bit cold out then the clutch won't be very lubricated with oil. Or somethin like that. Which might explain why the rear wheel has resistance on it when you try to move it.

When I crashed my bike last year and I had the bike sitting for a few months before starting it, I had that same symptom. I though the transmission was messed up. But as soon as I got the bike started and the engine got warmed up the transmission and clutch went back to normal.

SO my advice for you is, Figure out how to get it running first, then see if the transmission/clutch still feels weird.
I disagree with this, I would probably wait for a few more responses until you think you got a good chance that the problem will go away once you've heated up the bike. I say look at the tranny first, make sure its okay. Don't try and get it started if you think something might be messed up due to the chance of messing stuff up even more.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I assume you tried to start it already via the starter. Right? What did it do?

1st, get the rear in the air

2nd, Roll the rear wheel forward and backward by hand and maybe you will be able to truly get it into neutral. You know like all standards have to roll a bit sometimes to get it in gear.

3rd, Bump it over with the starter a few times just to ensure everything moves.

My first thought is the kickstand safety switch...
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post

This happened to my old dirt bike.

Either way it must run in order to ride and you not gunna know what your dealing with until you hear it run. Just get the rear in the air and the bike stable. so if there is any power delivered to the rear wheel it just spins.

Do you have a rear stand? Now may be a good time to get one.

Old November 13th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion007 View Post
I disagree with this, I would probably wait for a few more responses until you think you got a good chance that the problem will go away once you've heated up the bike. I say look at the tranny first, make sure its okay. Don't try and get it started if you think something might be messed up due to the chance of messing stuff up even more.

It is super uncommon for these bikes to have transmission problems. Yes it's possible. But I highly doubt it. He just needs to get the bike in neutral and figure out how to get it started. Then go from there. No reason to tear into the engine at this point.

And like Chris said, put the bike on the center stand and make sure the rear wheel isn't touching the ground. Get it started then fiddle around with the gears.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Oh!!!

Welcome Tom!

Old November 14th, 2012, 06:38 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felginator View Post
.........When trying to rotate the rear wheel, it doesn't rotate freely and cannot rotate forwards, only backwards.
Welcome to the site, Tom.

So, I understand that you have bought this bike although you have never seen this engine working.

Being the only uni-directional part involved, it seems to me that the starter is fried and is permanently engaged for some reason.

I would remove the starter from the engine and would check how it works by itself first.

Retest the rotation of the wheel with the starter out.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome to the site, Tom.

So, I understand that you have bought this bike although you have never seen this engine working.

Being the only uni-directional part involved, it seems to me that the starter is fried and is permanently engaged for some reason.

I would remove the starter from the engine and would check how it works by itself first.

Retest the rotation of the wheel with the starter out.
lol, werd yo

I like your wording for my step #3 much better. I blame the vodka and late hours. hahahahah

Old November 14th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sounds like a seized starter motor. i dont think its an issue with the starter clutch since he can rotate the wheel backwards. sounds like the starter motor itself has actually jammed.

Old November 14th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I blame the vodka and late hours. hahahahah

Old November 14th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #14
Felginator
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I bought it knowing it wasn't working correctly, it was $300 so I was willing to take the risk.

I have it up on the center stand now, and trying to start it I just get the single click and that's it.

I didn't even think of the starter, so I am going to get it out and see if it unlocks the wheel. Fingers crossed its just that and nothing went boom on the insides.

Old November 14th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #15
Kevin H
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Kawasaki EX 250, 1997 HD Road King, 1980 HD Sportster

Before you start taking it apart just try and rotate the engine manually by removing the flywheel bolt cover and putting a socket and ratchet on it. If something is jamming the engine from turning it will be very obvious. You should remove the plugs to make it easier.
Kevin H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #16
Felginator
ninjette.org newbie

Quick update:

Starter is good.

I rotated the engine manually and it isn't frozen.

I am in neutral now, and I can get a quick crank before something locks the whole setup up. If I rotate the engine a bit, it will free it up and it will crank again.

So far I know the engine is not frozen and will turn over and the starter is good and not locked up.

So now it seems I am looking at a transmission issue? If the bike is in neutral it shouldn't lock up the way it does.

Old November 14th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #17
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Spark plugs out?

Retest the rotation of the wheel with the starter and plugs out.

Old November 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #18
Kevin H
ninjette.org member

Are you sure the battery is in good condition?

Old November 14th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #19
Felginator
ninjette.org newbie

Plugs were still in, the strange thing is that I can rotate the wheel freely before I try to start. That's when something locks up and the wheel can't rotate anymore.

The battery is back on the charger now, ran it down from all of the attempted starts.

Old November 14th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #20
Felginator
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin H View Post
Are you sure the battery is in good condition?
Positive, it holds a charge and the voltage readings were good.

Old November 14th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #21
Kevin H
ninjette.org member

My next move would be to pull the flywheel cover. Then check the starter gear and starter reduction gear.

Old November 14th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #22
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

It sounds like your transmission is fried. Not sure about the engine. Any strange oil leaks?

Try cranking the engine with the clutch pulled. The clutch separates the engine and transmission. Sometimes it sticks a little bit, but once freed, the engine can run with the clutch pulled if the problem is solely in the transmission.

Another thing that can do what you describe is a broken cam chain. You need to take the valve cover off to see that.

Try pulling the clutch to crank and see what that does.

Old November 21st, 2012, 07:39 PM   #23
Felginator
ninjette.org newbie

No strange leaks or anything like that. I get the same result with clutch pulled in. I can rotate the engine manually and it doesn't jam. If I crank it over it will rotate for about a second then lock up. Gonna pull the cover this weekend to get a look at the starter gear.

Old November 21st, 2012, 07:53 PM   #24
Kevin H
ninjette.org member

Quote:
No strange leaks or anything like that. I get the same result with clutch pulled in. I can rotate the engine manually and it doesn't jam. If I crank it over it will rotate for about a second then lock up. Gonna pull the cover this weekend to get a look at the starter gear.
Good, I'm interested to hear what you find. With an issue like this you need to eliminate each possible problem methodically, and not start jumping around and tearing it apart and possibly causing more problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 22nd, 2012, 04:11 AM   #25
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

How do you know the starter is good? That sounds a whole lot like the starter is bad to me, or some issue involving the starter at least.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:09 AM   #26
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Before you do anything, it would help us out a lot if you posted a video on youtube showing it failing like that. Also show you turning it by hand for two full revolutions by turning the nut on the flywheel. Also make sure that you have it on the center stand and the rear wheel off the ground when you do all of that. After that, then remove the valve cover and let us look inside there.