ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old January 19th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #1
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Mid-Ohio Track Day

@choneofakind @NDspd @EsrTek

For a few of use who where contemplating a track day at Mid-O. I thought I would post the schedule so we can start getting the date and other stuff worked out. Others are free to join in the fun riding or just to hang out.

Schedule

Sunday, May 13
Monday, May 14
Sunday, May 27 - Max Time Twilight
Monday, June 4
Tuesday, June 5
Saturday, June 16 - Max Time Twilight
Monday, June 25
Tuesday, June 26
Friday, July 6 (3:30pm-9pm)
Saturday, July 7 (3:30pm-9pm)
Monday, July 16
Tuesday, July 17
Sunday, July 29 - Max Time Twilight
Sunday, August 26 - Max Time Twilight
Monday, August 27
Tuesday, August 28
Saturday, September 15 - Max Time Twilight
Monday, September 17
Tuesday, September 18

Also, Max Time Twilight is for intermediate and advanced groups only. They allow camping at the track, which is what I do. I will have the support of the coaches and equipment/tools (from assfaultjunkies.com). We should be welcome to use anything we need but I will have to clear it through them first. I am almost 100% sure at least one, if not two of the coaches will be pitting with us as well.

I have an extra suit size 48, that anyone is free to use. I may be able to get some gloves and boots, if I have enough warning ahead of time.

I will do a couple of trips to this track over the season;
May 27 Max Twilight,
July 16/17
Sept 17/18

That is the current plan.

Last futzed with by csmith12; January 26th, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Camping info;

http://www.midohio.com/Fan-Guide/Camping

Old January 19th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
size 48. hmm.

I'm 5'10" and 135 with a 29 inch inseam. Is that gonna semi fit or should I look into rental?

I'll likely be looking into going later in the summer. June or July sometime? And honestly a weekend would be best for me so I don't have to take time off work. I will also be starting up school next year mid August.

Right now, July 6, 7, 16, and 17 look like they would work best for me, with preference on the 6th and 7th

*edit*
just looked at speed and strength's sizing chart as a point of comparison. Looks a bit too roomy for me Is that going to be huge or is that an acceptable size difference? I also need to buy real boots and gauntlet style gloves. Currently I wear non-gauntlet motorcycle gloves, and work boots.
*/edit*
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I am 5'11'' 165lb 29 inseam, should be an ok fit but, have a plan b just in case.

I guess I could do July 6/7 or 16/17 but lets give it a bit more time for the others sake.

Old January 19th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #5
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
sounds like a plan I'll talk to a buddy over spring break and see if I can try his on for size. Onesy and boots that is.

I might look like a kid in his dad's suit in yours

Old January 19th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I might look like a kid in his dad's suit in yours
Naw, maybe just have a bit of sag a** I would imaging. It's an AGV suit. So yea, the sizing can differ quite a bit depending on brand.

http://www.agvsport.com/jacketssizing.php

Old January 19th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Hold up! I have made an error. My A* suit is 48, the AGV is 52. So it would be a bit roomy.

Old January 19th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #8
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well that sizing chart looks a heck of a lot better! saggy old lady butt is fine by me; no one is going to see it except my bike, and she doesn't judge me.

Old January 19th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #9
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I'm not sure what my summer is going to look like, but I'll put these dates on my calendar. I'm not insured for racing, so I'm sure that'll keep me off the track.

How much is it to rent a suit and a trackday?
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #10
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
here's the prices for track days. Mid-Ohio seems to be rather steep on the price, but I want to do it bad enough I'll happily blow the 200, and i'll hopefully be grinning ear to ear

I too would be interested in leather rental pricing, just as my plan B in case csmith12's are too big for me. I haven't seen that posted anywhere.

As for insurance, as long as it's not a "timed event" my bike is covered. (i think? prolly should check that) I'm Liability only anyways, so that doesn't do me personally any good. I wreck, I'm going streetfighter or learning how to paint and making my whole bike purple with green vinyls...

Do we get a discount price if we all sign up as a group? I've got another friend who would be interested in this track day...

Old January 19th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #11
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I wouldn't want to do it unless it was a 2 day weekend thing. So I don't think I will be able to do that this yr, as $700-1k is a bit much for a weekend. Between track cost, hotel, gas, tires and whatever else goes into racing I wouldn't know.

Maybe a closer & cheaper track can be found for me to get at least a 1 day session on a track, but I'm not really into tracks yet and might be better on my wallet if I never let the fire get lit
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2012, 05:08 PM   #12
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well I understand that completely. That's why I'm only doing the 1 day, because I only live and hour-ish away. If it were my house I would offer for you to stay with me, but it's my parent's house .

You should still come and hang out with us if you can. I think it's something like $30 for a day ticket to stay at the track all day. ninjette.org-random-meet-and-greet-at-the-track-day

Old January 19th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

If you wanna camp, I got you covered. I have a house for tent, it's something like 150 square feet, 3 rooms, 2 bath and a tower with a balconey. Ok... kiding about everything after the 3 rooms but its huge. I will have grill, food, drink and most of everything else one could need. Just chip in a bit for the grub and your set aside of your bike. Yea... I am way over prepared.

If mid-o doesn't work out for you. Putnam is a good alternative that is much cheaper. I paid $125 per day last year through MCRA (mcraracing.com). For me is a shorter drive too. 3.5 hours vs 4.5. In fact, I would kinda recommend Putnam over mid-o for a first track day.

I will be in for 2 days when we go too.

I have a message in to Eric Monger (riding coatch) about suit rental and group discount. See if I can get a break on the prices for you guys but no promises.

EsrTek - Your welcome to ride with me to save on gas. Just drive up through KY to meet me somewhere.

NDspd - As far as I know there are no "RACES" planned for these weekends. Just track lapping so check your insurance. If you take the track riding school, your insurance my cover it, kinda like they would cover the MSF.

More to come...

Old January 19th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well I'm open for whatever. Putnam is in Indiana right? That's about a 5 hour drive for me, vs a 1.5 hour drive. Camping might be an option though if Putnam allows it, depends on how warm my parents are to that idea.

Let's see what your friends at Mid OH say, and we'll decide on Putnam vs Mid OH after that. I really like Mid OH because the PO of my bike never got to take the bike there and she said it was one of the things that she wished she got to do...

There's also Nelson's Ledges, but I've heard it's notorious for being kinda bumpy and hard for bikes

Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:48 AM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Ummm... these assfaultjunkie guys are determined to save $$. I currently have 3 offers to loan you a suit at no cost. The AGV size 46 looks promising.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:07 PM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well it looks like you just found me a plan B on suits then!! (And a plan C and D )

I can get boots, and if I don't a have a pickup truck by then, I'll rent a uhaul trailer and tow it with my dad's tahoe, and then I'm all good to go

Hmm any one have gauntlet style gloves as well? While we're talking about loaning gear here...

Any word on getting a group buy kind of thing going? Or is that not how track days work? I've only been at Mid-O once

Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:58 PM   #17
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
If you wanna camp, I got you covered. I have a house for tent, it's something like 150 square feet, 3 rooms, 2 bath and a tower with a balconey. Ok... kiding about everything after the 3 rooms but its huge. I will have grill, food, drink and most of everything else one could need. Just chip in a bit for the grub and your set aside of your bike. Yea... I am way over prepared.

If mid-o doesn't work out for you. Putnam is a good alternative that is much cheaper. I paid $125 per day last year through MCRA (mcraracing.com). For me is a shorter drive too. 3.5 hours vs 4.5. In fact, I would kinda recommend Putnam over mid-o for a first track day.

I will be in for 2 days when we go too.

I have a message in to Eric Monger (riding coatch) about suit rental and group discount. See if I can get a break on the prices for you guys but no promises.

EsrTek - Your welcome to ride with me to save on gas. Just drive up through KY to meet me somewhere.

NDspd - As far as I know there are no "RACES" planned for these weekends. Just track lapping so check your insurance. If you take the track riding school, your insurance my cover it, kinda like they would cover the MSF.

More to come...
I understand there isn't any racing, but it's getting the bike to high rates of speed on a track. I can ask my insurance, but my parents helped to pay for the bike, so they have a say in whether I can do it or not.

If I can do it, then heck yeah I should be able to do it, depending on my schedule.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2012, 03:34 PM   #18
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah that's completely understandable. Talk to them about. The track is a safe environment where you can actually learn what the bike feels like when you're on the edge. Makes for a safer street rider. That's what I've told my parents. Plus I've been going on about wanting to track ride for a year now, so they know I've got the itch It helps that I own the bike and they didn't pay a cent when I bought it, so they just tell me to be careful when I ride.

I want to be able to actually see what this bike can do on a safe surface. I'm so careful on the roads near me because they have a tendency to be covered in gravel and salt.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:04 PM   #19
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Also, general questions for a track beginner here. I know it's early, but I'm adding to my list of things that need to be done.

Taping off lights- What kind of tape works best and doesn't leave residue?

Coolant- track website says non-ethyl glycol coolant. I'm planning on doing this over spring break since I need to flush my system and put in new coolant anyways. It suggests Engine Ice or water wetter. Can I get this at an auto part store, or do I have to order it?

Center stand- the beginner group doesn't have to remove the center stand, but realistically, would it be a good idea? I've been toying around with removing it and just installing it for normal maintenance by putting the bolts on finger tight so that they can't come off the bike while it's on the stand. Would it be better to just take it off and not worry about it?

Brake pads- Have to be 75% of new. How do they measure that? I guess I can order new pads while I'm at it...

Tires-need new ones anyways.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:43 PM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Blue painters tape, use multiple layers if needed but it's best to just unplug the lights and use one layer of blue tape. A knife will come in handy to cut off the extra at the edges. Take off mirrors and signals and such. In general, take off anything (within reason) that don't require the bike to run and you don't want to get broken. License plate as well. I will have plenty of tools if you forget something.

Coolant - Water Wetter at Autozone will be fine enough. They may peek under the fairing, if they see green, you fail tech.
Brakes - Visual inspection is how they do it.
Center Stand - Take off stand but ensure you can put it back on if need be. All they really require is you ziptie it up.
Tires - Newer and stickier the better

NO LEAKS! Of any sort or you fail tech.

Last futzed with by csmith12; January 23rd, 2012 at 04:34 AM.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:15 PM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ok that sounds pretty fair. Bike has no leaks to date except the petcock (only when turned on), which I have a new one of sitting in a box in my basement.

Sounds not bad. Not I have an excuse to take off my center stand

Cool. Thanks for the help, I guess it's time to wait a little bit and see what day looks like it will work and who all is going right? I'll work on prepping over breaks, and we'll figure things out as we go then

Old January 26th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Would you and your son like to go with us in July or have you already signed up? If he doesn't know, he won't be upset

If you don't mind me asking, where are you in NE Ohio @i-Zapp ? I'm just about directly in the middle of Cleveland and Akron

*edit*
Or @csmith12 would you have objections to going in June? I was hoping for later in the summer, but I guess I really have no nagging reasons that July is any better than June. plus, if I'm buying new tires anyways, I don't see what waiting till later in the season to buy them gets me... The more 250 riders the merrier
*/edit*
I am open to go anytime really, I just have to watch my $$ because I am still unsure of my race schedule.

But for sure, lets all go and support each other.

Old January 26th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #23
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
When would we be looking to finalize on a date and officially sign up and pay for our little outing?

I'll need to talk dates and plans with my parents. Is waiting spring break (first week of march) too late to sit down with a list of dates and figure it out?

Old January 26th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Welcome Geo!

That is a nice looking 250 you got there. Your son should be very pleased.

Old February 27th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #25
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
alright @csmith12,

What dates are looking most likely here? I'll be on spring break starting Friday. I want to get things figured out with my parents over break.

I'm really excited here! Also, those offers still stand for loaned gear right? what about boots and gloves for me also since it might be just you and me representing ninjette.org? I'm searching for deals, but free is always better.

Old February 27th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Woot!

I am sooooo ready! All offers still stand for loaned gear. I should be able to get you some gloves but boots are going to be harder.

I a fine with June if that is when you wanna go. I just have to avoid the last weeks of July. If I was to go alone, I would plan on June 4/5th and in case of poor weather conditions, plan b would be June 25/26th.

How does that sound?

Old February 27th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #27
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That sounds like a plan.

If there is bad weather the first week do they automatically give us the option for a replacement track day? or do we have to pay for a new one? I imagine they wouldn't let us ride in bad weather.

Old February 27th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #28
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Track days are rain or shine. I just try not to pay to ride in the rain, I can do that for free.

Old February 27th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #29
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
makes sense. So how long before the track day do we have to reserve our spots?

Old February 28th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #30
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

They are taking sign-ups now and will take walk-ups the day of the event or until sold out. So I will wait until the very last minute to buy the days. Eric Monger (riding coach) will let me know if its close to a sell out and alert me to buy at that time.

I normally start paying attention 30 days prior to the date and be ready to reserve the spot at the drop of a hat.

Old March 21st, 2012, 03:13 PM   #31
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
OK!! update time!

Parents on board as long as I get a job.
Full time job lined up since I know my potential boss's boss well.
bought boots.
SS lines are installed and fabulous.
jetting is 95% of the way there after my intake changes.
WILL have a tow vehicle to use. Either my grandpa (soon to be dad's) pickup, or my dad's tahoe and uhaul trailer.

Searching for full length gauntlet gloves in size medium.
need Engine Ice, tires, possibly brake pads.

Missing anything? that one-piece is still an option right? how's it going with the guys from asphalt junkies? I'M PUMPED!!!

Old March 21st, 2012, 03:29 PM   #32
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Nice! You getting there!

The one-piece suit is there if you need it. No worries there. As far as forgetting things yea; just a few.

Stock center stand or bike stand? You will have to decide which and plan for it.
Safety wiring per their rules.
ICE Plan (In Case of Emergency) I will do whatever you need me to do on this.

I am sure there is more, I am just spent after 3 straight days of riding.

Old March 21st, 2012, 04:55 PM   #33
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Oh right. Need a rear stand. I'll likely get a cheap one from HF just because it's cheap and I'll have it when I need it.

The novice group doesn't have to safety wire. Advanced and intermediate groups do need to however. They require RTV on drain plugs and radiator caps (not sure if that's for everyone or just the advanced and intermediate groups?) So I'll likely just use RTV instead of safety wiring. That's not permanent.

is ICE plan just like have my parents' phone numbers and my health insurance card with me? or like "hey I want to be taken to hospital x if anything happens"?

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:54 PM   #34
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Oh right. Need a rear stand. I'll likely get a cheap one from HF just because it's cheap and I'll have it when I need it.

The novice group doesn't have to safety wire. Advanced and intermediate groups do need to however. They require RTV on drain plugs and radiator caps (not sure if that's for everyone or just the advanced and intermediate groups?) So I'll likely just use RTV instead of safety wiring. That's not permanent.

is ICE plan just like have my parents' phone numbers and my health insurance card with me? or like "hey I want to be taken to hospital x if anything happens"?
HF is cool, that is what I roll on the 250.

Cool on the RTV. Although the safety wires can be cut. But if it's not required then hey.... rock on.

ICE plan is simple. At worst, hand scribble on something with a contact # or 2 and give it to me or let me know where it is. "Just in case". No insurance card required, just a contact. Expect to know from me as well.

Old April 4th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #35
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
another update:

My dad couldn't find a stand at the HF near us, so my grandpa checked his and got it for $27 since he has a %10 off coupon. He'll be up this weekend, so consider that done

aaaaand I managed to get my hands on a full Muzzy in decent condition and find a buyer for my two brothers cans. Muzzy better get here be Friday, Two Brothers ship out Monday

Old April 8th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #36
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
center-stand removed. check.

Old April 8th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #37
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Nice!!!

I am all set yo. Question for you. What is your plan if its raining? Add to your list some extra underwear/clothes for the "oh crap" moments as well as wetness caused by mother nature or otherwise.

hahahahahah

Old April 8th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #38
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
hmm plan might be to be very careful while riding?

no seriously though, I vote we check the weather carefully before we sign up if we can see that far in advance...

If it rains, I can bring a tarp or something for the ninja, and I'll bring extra clothes for me. I'm projecting good thoughts for the weather and am determined that it is going to be sunny darn it!!! June is prime sun time in Ohio.

Also, you have a tent we can chill in if it rains right?

Old April 8th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #39
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
center-stand removed. check.
Be sure to keep it though!! I have decided that the center-stand is the most useful feature on the pregen.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #40
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I have a 10x10 ez-up and 2 tarps for walls for some wind protection. So we are good there.

And YES! It will be sunny and perfect rider weather.