clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
inside foot... do the tippy toes!
We call it the Grinch foot.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old November 12th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #562
green_bread
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R & CBR250R

Quote:
inside foot... do the tippy toes!
+1. Ive actually caught my foot between the peg/ground because I didnt tuck it up enough. Wont make that mistake again.
green_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #563
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i used to think it was cool that i could drag ankle. now i know its lame.

Old November 12th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #564
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Ben, I am super proud to have been part of your progress thus far. Your maturity in the saddle has grown faster than the pics show but that is perfect, mine did too . Just keep doing what your doing, fix the little things along the way and you will make a great track rider but more importantly, a safe one too.

Well done sir!

EDIT: Time to get that front end stable enough to inspire the confidence to consistently lean it a bit more.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 12th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #565
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old November 12th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #566
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

@Sirref if you are running stock fork springs, id recommend .70 or .80 springs. My last outing at summit main was the first time i had my .70 springs in and it was great. You look just a little heavier than me, maybe .80 would suit you better. Either will be much better than stock tho and i got mine from sonic springs for like 70 or 80 bucks
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2014, 04:33 PM   #567
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
From Jennings GP I have made leaps and bounds, Was dragging knee a bit in turn 5-6 after I stopped braking for 3 but the photographer can't get there due to safety reasons.

I spy progress boiiiiii
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #568
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
@Sirref if you are running stock fork springs, id recommend .70 or .80 springs. My last outing at summit main was the first time i had my .70 springs in and it was great. You look just a little heavier than me, maybe .80 would suit you better. Either will be much better than stock tho and i got mine from sonic springs for like 70 or 80 bucks
I am going to be swapping out the whole front end with a newgen front end and also swapping the rear swingarm this winter so I'll be messing with getting the forks just right after that. I'll likely run the .80 springs since I like the suspension to be a bit stiffer anyway and my front caliper is aftermarket so heavier springs would work a little better with the extra braking forces.

The next time I hit the track should feel amazing with a stiffer front end and 17" tires for better grip, I'm considering running the same 120/120 front/rear setup that ron had at jennings but I forgot to ask him if his rear wheel was stock (I think the stock newgen rear wheel will fit a 120 but I'm not sure)

Old November 12th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #569
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

My latest from MSRC last Monday.

http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...#image=2715801
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2014, 04:42 PM   #570
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

One more from Barber on 9/27/14. Screen cap from the instructor's gopro.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old November 13th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #571
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
hey geeker what rear tire is that?

Old November 13th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #572
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
hey geeker what rear tire is that?
It's a Q3.

Old November 13th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #573
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

q3's are da bomb for track days...

Old November 13th, 2014, 09:52 PM   #574
chris 25Or
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR1000rr, 2012 BMW S1000rr, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2015 KTM RC 390, 2013 Triumph 675R

Jennings turn 13

IMG_1882.JPG
chris 25Or is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #575
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

^^^^^ lol and he rides in novice. hahahahahahhah Git ya some!!!

Old November 14th, 2014, 08:48 AM   #576
green_bread
ninjette.org member

@chris 25Or: AWESOME pic, man! was there actually a photographer there or was there a camera on a tripod on the inside of the turn? Im guessing it was a photographer from a further distance with a really good zoom lens. Either way, this is an angle I REALLY want to get a picture of myself riding from. Very cool!

Old November 14th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #577
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
there was a photographer there and he was that close to the track

Old November 14th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #578
green_bread
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
there was a photographer there and he was that close to the track
Wow.. was that distracting, at all?

Old November 14th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #579
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
No, I'm too focused on the road ahead to even notice him and that's when I know where he's set up already.

Old November 26th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #580
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I haven't posted a pic in here in a while. Here is my latest entry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D3S_9692 (Custom).JPG (138.6 KB, 19 views)

Old November 26th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #581
green_bread
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I haven't posted a pic in here in a while. Here is my latest entry.
Good form! Head is nice and low right down where it should be. Left hand looks like you are nice and loose on the bars!

EDIT: Do you sit pretty far back on the seat? Your BP in your lower half looks very similar to mine and I think I sit a little too far back on the seat. Im going to try and move myself a little more forward, next year, and try pivoting my body "around" the bike a little more (not extreme amounts, or anything). Someone told me they went to the Pridmore racing school and were taught that they should imagine there is an invisible string going from your gas cap to your belly button.

Old November 26th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #582
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_bread View Post
Good form! Head is nice and low right down where it should be. Left hand looks like you are nice and loose on the bars!

EDIT: Do you sit pretty far back on the seat? Your BP in your lower half looks very similar to mine and I think I sit a little too far back on the seat. Im going to try and move myself a little more forward, next year, and try pivoting my body "around" the bike a little more (not extreme amounts, or anything). Someone told me they went to the Pridmore racing school and were taught that they should imagine there is an invisible string going from your gas cap to your belly button.
Thank ya sir!

I sit about 3/4 back in the saddle. Many riders that have coached at the track know that I help them find their "sweet spot" in the saddle. It's different for everyone and mostly about getting a good lock on the bike with the knee on the tank to keep your lower torso stable, weight off the bars and not overextend your arms by sitting too far back. When taking the Pridmore school info into account, make sure you're not overextending the arms. Sitting farther back is a good thing, but you CAN sit too far back and that will depend on you and your bikes ergo setup.

I should really do a post with a vid on how to find your sweet spot in the saddle. It really does wonders for your form, but more importantly... your overall comfort and confidence on the bike mid-corner.

And fyi, the most uncomfortable part of my form is my ankles. I am not sure if there is a better way to keep tidy feet and not have so much stress in that area. If I figure it out, I will post up.

Old November 26th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #583
green_bread
ninjette.org member

Thats right! I forget that you are a rider coach. In that case, give me some advice on these, please..

My analysis of my BP in those pics is that I might be a little too far back on the seat, head needs to get down lower, and I need to rotate my upper body back toward the bike a tiny amount. I think the rotating of the upper body will allow the outside arm to rest a little lower more comfortably. On my CBR, I was able to basically lay my forearm across the tank but I feel like the bars on the Ninja are quite a bit higher. In the second pic, below, you can see that im not super tense, or anything... maybe Im just sticking my head too far out?

Old November 26th, 2014, 01:09 PM   #584
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

ABI photo aye... Your bike looks sooooo familiar and sick helmet! Have you been to Putnam with MCRA? Cause I am almost always there with them. Imma check my pics, I swear I was chasing you down last race at Putnam before I binned it in 8 lol. If that was you, then your fast bro! I will be trying to make it out to Gateway next season to ride/race with ya'lls.

Great pics! I like em and tell the ABI guy he does great work.

The first thing I see in those pics is your spine is not inline with the bike. Head is fine, but slide your bum over a couple of more inches and that should solve that. And, how is your lock on the tank with the knee? Kinda hard to tell from the pics and the lil ninja is a fairly skinny bike without a pronounced tank lip, so it's a challenge either way. From those pics, you look to be about the same physical size as me, 5'11'', slide up an inch or two for cornering and it should put your knee/inner thigh in an area on the tank to support more of your weight.

Once you get your torso 100% stable and comfortable, you can do what ya like or makes sense with your head and arms to support your cornering efforts.

Old November 26th, 2014, 01:48 PM   #585
green_bread
ninjette.org member

@csmith12: First off, thank you for the great reply and information! That is definitely helpful!

Quote:
ABI photo aye... Your bike looks sooooo familiar and sick helmet! Have you been to Putnam with MCRA? Cause I am almost always there with them. Imma check my pics, I swear I was chasing you down last race at Putnam before I binned it in 8 lol. If that was you, then your fast bro! I will be trying to make it out to Gateway next season to ride/race with ya'lls.
I was at Putnam with MCRA back in April, but that was before I bought this bike and I was on my CBR. I also crashed in turn 8 on Saturday, so you might have been the guy that was standing next to me while I cussed myself out for wrecking out of last place and making it so I had to take the race clinic over again. Haha.

The bike was also at Putnam back in April, though. The previous owner is @Aodrn. I traded a stock 2012 Ninja 250 to him for this one, straight up. Hes a good guy and from what I recall, he was pretty decently quick!

If you can get out to Gateway, its a pretty fun place to ride. On a 250, I think I only barely touch my brakes in 1 or 2 places, briefly. The rest of the time the throttle is pretty much wide open and a quick downshift gives enough engine braking to set proper corner entry speed. Its also the place Ive come closest to getting an elbow down (turn 7).

Quote:
Great pics! I like em and tell the ABI guy he does great work.
I agree. Next year, I plan on having some more money to where I can actually pay/support the guy. He definitely deserves the support as he takes great pics for us and travels all over the place just to stand out in the sun/heat and get them. Besides, its like $60 for a package deal to get every pic they take of you, all weekend. Not bad...

Quote:
The first thing I see in those pics is your spine is not inline with the bike. Head is fine, but slide your bum over a couple of more inches and that should solve that. And, how is your lock on the tank with the knee? Kinda hard to tell from the pics and the lil ninja is a fairly skinny bike without a pronounced tank lip, so it's a challenge either way. From those pics, you look to be about the same physical size as me, 5'11'', slide up an inch or two for cornering and it should put your knee/inner thigh in an area on the tank to support more of your weight.

Once you get your torso 100% stable and comfortable, you can do what ya like or makes sense with your head and arms to support your cornering efforts.
So, my spine should be in line with the bike? Like, center on center or just at the same angle? When you say to slide the bum over a couple inches, you mean back on to the seat or further off the seat? I currently have a full cheek hanging off and the edge of the seat is usually right in line with my crack. Adjustment one way or the other, there, shouldnt be any big deal, at all.

The lock on the tank with my knee is pretty much my reference point for an anchor. I used to make the reference point my outside arm and try to lay it across the tank like I described before. I found that using the knee locked to the tank as the anchor gave me a better/easier to find reference and made "knee to knee" through quick switchbacks a lot easier. I know what you mean about it being more difficult without the "lip", but you can definitely feel it "lock" in to place when youre close to the sweet spot.

You hit the nail right on the head with my body size. I am 5' 11" and about 160-165 lbs.

Once the weather gets nice, I'm definitely going to try sliding up a little more in the saddle and Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks for your time, man! Its much appreciated!

Oh, and a throwback to Putnam... this was me back in April. Look familiar, at all?

Old November 26th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #586
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

So we have missed each other at Putnam... that is what I am hearing. Let's fix that next year.

Yea, I mean get your bottom off the bike (not back) a bit more to catch up with your head. Spine and bike in line over all. The exception to the this rule is the hook turn but the only time you really can use it at Putnam is turn 10, and I got no clue about gateway until I ride there.

/Ninja riding secret
Once your 1000% confident in cornering, the next step to getting my bp is the eyes. When your confidence is beyond what the bike is doinging, it starts to show in the bp pics. Head gets lower, shoulder and elbows drop much lower and the relaxed riding shows oh sooooo bluntly. Basically, your head leads the bike, instead of keeping up with the bike. You will know when you feel it.

Anyways... just try to line your spine with the bike and find your sweet spot and everything else will work itself out as needed or extra questions. It's clear you're not a n00b.

Last futzed with by csmith12; November 26th, 2014 at 08:48 PM.

Old November 26th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #587
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
So, my spine should be in line with the bike? Like, center on center or just at the same angle?
Sorry for not being clear as I wanted to be, this pic should help; Rider IS in line with the bike and NOT all the way back in the saddle, just like us.

Tip: If you're having trouble getting there, check your turn in points/lines compared to your other MCRA racers, they are a very talented group. Basically, if your head chases a point beyond what your bike is heading toward, then maybe those points/lines can be adjusted. That is kinda a hard thing to understand unless you're kicking yourself saying "dang it.... I could have went faster." If you feel me, if not lemme know. But I think that is what you got going on, you're no n00b and your body position is showing you got more in the tank, but you're holding back for your own reasons.

Old December 2nd, 2014, 02:02 AM   #588
Braden07
Wannabe racer

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250 race prepped, 2009 Zx6R

^^^^^ very nice model and explanation of what proper alignment looks like.. it is something i have been trying to work on as far as being off the bike but parallel to it..

here are two of me from the last track day.. the first from the back (im on blue) im in a good position but i need to get the top lower and closer and move the butt out a little to make it parallel, i think its just the fact of going into the left hander i am throwing myself into the corner and getting out og alignment to some degree..

the second pic is of me from the side going into a right and that looks pretty good and i think i can tell im better on that side given the fact that on right handers i either pass or pull away from my buddies and on left handers they make up space or get further away.. just goes to show my right side is my comfortable side..

the last pic is of my buddy that has been riding for longer and he is going into the same left hander.. his body is up a little higher but more parallel to the bike than mine is.. he is also only like 5'6 so maybe that makes a difference..

Braden07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #589
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Here's one from last weekend at Buttonwillow. Camera on my friend's bike. I could still lower my upper body a bit more. But I think my bp is way better than last year.

Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #590
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Nice Gurk! Yep, much progress made.

Old December 4th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #591
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
holy @Zombiphone clone

Old December 4th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #592
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

I don't get it. Nothing in that picture matches anything I have.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #593
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
...um. you both haz... motorcycle?

Old December 4th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #594
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
dianese suit? of opposite color

Old December 5th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #595
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
I don't get it. Nothing in that picture matches anything I have.
you both have penises?
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2014, 03:52 PM   #596
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Yeah, but my penis is a unique and special snowflake
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #597
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

My head and torso need to come a lot lower, I feel like clip ons would make all the difference. I think I can see myself smiling through the visor bc of the knee dragging.... lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D3S_9918.jpg (106.5 KB, 4 views)
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2014, 10:09 PM   #598
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
your head and torso are fine. Their position is greatly affected by your bars.

Old December 5th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #599
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

I think I'm ok in this department. Next trip my mission is to brake as late as possible, without running off lol
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #600
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
do that in baby steps. Don't try to eat the whole enchilada in one bite. Braking late/trailing into the turn is one of those skills that of done right, can boost confidence beyond belief. If done wrong, it can really throw you off and cause lots of panic. Ask me how I know