ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 13th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1
itsEnZo
ninjette.org member

Name: Jared

Motorcycle(s): None.. YET

Questions from a newb about riding

Hey guys, I've been saving up money to buy a bike and gear (and the MSF course) for quite awhile, and it's getting very close to the point where I'll be able to afford all of this in only a few months. Even though I've been lurking for a looong time, there are still some things that I would like to be addressed by my favorite bike forum (:

1). Gear- I live in LA (sfv), and it can get pretty damn hot over here. HOWEVER, through research and reading peronal opinions on this site (as well as an accident I witnessed), I'm 100% dead set on getting full leathers. Am I retarded for even considering leather in LA heat? Is mesh and textile more than enough protection? Honestly, I can always change my sched to get to work early in the morning (safe from the heat) but i'd imagine that the ride after work would have me pretty drenched in sweat. Does it really feel that gross being sweaty under leathers, and will sweat wear out my leather faster than I want it to? Is leathr machine washable, or will I have to wash it by hand?for reference to my gear- oh, and I apologize for the lack of links, but I'm on my phone and it's too tedious. You can just type them into the search bar at sportbiketrackgear.com

Helmet- scorpion exo700
Jacket- icon overlord leather jacket (not the prime) w/ icon stryker back protector
Gloves- dainese carbon gloves (not the pro)
Pants- icon overlord prime leather pants
Boots- alpinestars s-mx 5

I hope I'm not overdoing my gear for my first time lol, but this is what I came up with after a bunch of looking around and researching. Would it be better to purchase cheaper gear for a first-timer?

2). Commuting- I'm planning on using my bike as a DD for as long as it can run. Now I know plenty of you have a lot of good things to say about it and I've read plenty of the benefits from you guys, but I would like to hear from the guys who think it's a bad idea, or just very tedious/difficult/unfun and why. I just want to hear both sides so I can properly weigh in the pros and cons as opposed to buying another car. How's carrying clothes and lunch in a backpack? How's travelling heavy/light? How's the commute with a person in the back? Is grocery/mall shopping while wearing full gear weird? Lol. Oh, and generally I pack very light, all i'd be bringing to work with me is a pair of shoes, pants, possibly a shirt if I decide wearing nothing underneath the jacket is justifiable due to heat, and lunch. From what I've read, I can fit all of this easily in an ogio backpack.

How's the traffic? I wanna hear from the cali people mostly, since they're the ones I can relate to the most (hot heat, LA traffic, lane-splitting legality). Most of my friends hate driving here since the traffic is so bad, but I honestly love driving and I'm pretty unphased by traffic. Would my attitude transfer over well when riding? What are the biggest changes I can expect going from a cage to a motorcycle?

3). Bike Choice- Okay, I will probably come off as a squid trying to justify a bigger bike looking for internet approval, but I assure you that I'm honestly looking for objective input. I'm pretty set on getting a 250, but ever since the new 650 came out, I've been toying with the idea of purchasing it. Maybe Jiggles will come bless me with his knowledge lol. No really, it would be much appreciated. I get on the freeway for a good portion of my commute, and the 101 can reach speeds of 85 and up. Typically though, it's around 75-80, at least at the times I get on it. I hear aout people complaining that the ninja get tossed around easily in the wind, and me being a small guy at 5'8" and 140lbs, I'm kinda worried. I'm also worried about the passing power of the 250. In a way, I'm already conditioned to deal with it since the passing power of my current car is probably worse (94 nissan sentra), but would the extra power and stability of a 650 benefit me? From what I hear, a 650 isn't that big of a jump from a 250, or am I really just subconsciously trying to justify a bigger bike? If so, slap me (preferrably not sexually, I might be encouraged if you do haha).

These are my main concerns; everything else I've had a question for has been thoroughly answered by you guys at least once (: Thanks for the replies guys, they are much appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device
itsEnZo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Have you ever ridden before?

Because that gear list is pretty high $$. You might want to think about just enough to get you through the MSF to ensure you like riding before that 1k investment.

Again if you have never ridden, you can't really go wrong with the 250. In your area, the resell value will be at your purchase price. So there is nothing to loose, if you want something bigger after a while, then sell and get it.

Going from cage to bike is pure freedom. It cannot be explained, only experienced.

Grocery shopping while in full leathers is a bit odd here but I don't care. I do remove my helmet before shopping though. lol

Good luck getting everything in order and I hope you enjoy everything riding has to offer.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #3
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Name: Janelle

Motorcycle(s): current newbie stick is a loaner :P

Quote:
Questions from a newb about riding
Isn't there always?
lol j/k. otherwise, I have nothing else useful to add. :|

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #4
itsEnZo
ninjette.org member

@csmith- Nope, I haven't ridden yet. I might just do what you suggested; I was thinking about the same thing regarding the high price tag.

I should've named this thread something like, "Naked girl rider caught on video" or something to get more responses LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsEnZo View Post
I get on the freeway for a good portion of my commute, and the 101 can reach speeds of 85 and up. Typically though, it's around 75-80, at least at the times I get on it.
You might want to consider an alternate route on your bike until you are more comfortable. The freeway is not a good environment for learning especially at those speeds.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Jared,

These are many questions at once!

Chris is giving you excellent advice.

Many people in the world do everyday what you try to do; hence, all is feasible.

In Florida, the MSF courses provide the bikes, mostly Ninja 250's.
Finding one like that in your area will allow you to try the Ninjette for two days before deciding about the bike.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

I agree with Chris, take the MSF and make sure riding it for you. You may love the idea of riding, but are you really ok fully with it. The gear is good. It is pricey, but I believe you get what you pay for. I live in florida and well, I bet it gets hotter here then it does up there. I'm MTGATT. Only non-protective gear is my pants (I know I know, but its a personal decision.). Any who, I rode around a vast majority of the time in my leather jacket. It was my first. Only recently did I get a mesh. I will admit, it's nice to have mesh. It's so much more breathable. But, my leather isn't bad.

I have the Scorpion Eternity leather jacket. It's good ventilation for a leather jacket, and it gets me around in the florida heat. It does get hot though, so be hydrated. I've pulled over before to take a break from riding just to get some food and a nice drink lol. But once you get going, even if you're sweaty, the heat isn't so bad. Just be prepared to sweat.

As for daily commuting, Personally I don't. I used to when I first got it, but Idk. I take it out when I feel like it. Plus, I go to work in a suit soooo a bike would be a little hard lol. But it's doable. Plenty of people ride all the time. Just a good word of advice: Rain Gear.

And the 650 bit, I personally think you can do what you want. My 25 gets up to 100 MPH (or 95) easily. Which is way more then what you need honestly. But from what I understand the 650 is just like the 250s bigger brother. Now, if it was a SS like the ZX6R, then I may have a second opinion and say stick with the 250.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #8
EvilPooMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 :)

i personally want the olympia motor sports air glide 3 mesh...might be something to look at. i couldn't say because i obviously don't own it...but i want to so someone else may too. just Google it. and as for the wind(take anything i say with a grain of salt...i'm pretty new myself) a good comfy tuck on your ninjette will pretty much keep you from getting beat up. its what i do. plus it keeps you warmer on those brisk nights (the tuck not the jacket)
EvilPooMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

I have a black Icon Overlord jacket. It gets pretty warm here in OKC and the humidity is pretty bad but it's still comfortable to me. It has GREAT ventilation and the jacket itself is comfortable to wear. I've sweat in it before but it's not 'gross feeling' like you might think when you imagine leather and sweat. The only time I ever notice that I did sweat is when I get home. I can take pics and provide any other info you need about it. I'm not sure how warm it gets where you are but I've got nothing but love for this jacket.

Old June 13th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #10
GregK
ACFT,Trk, Cage, M/C mech.

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): SV650 track,YZF450,GS1100ESDbought new in'83,BANDIT1200, Raced into ground '86 &'88 GSXR750's...

Riding gear

Your choices in gear says your ready for the unexpected .
Great Be dank sure it is comfortable. When anything binds
pinches, flaps, it distracts from your main focus, Riding.
I ride in Vanson, up to 80 f. Armored Joe Rocket above that
, But with that cmute, I'd stay 'heavy' . Stepping up to 2nd
gen gear on first rides, you don't know what you'll be comfortable
with. This may sound ____ but good heavy chapps can be
(temperature ) cool, & protect well. Most of you stopped reading
But I have done it for 30 yrs.
Two wet bandanas , protect neck form stones, bees, sand &
Will keep U cool. I've been stung 15 times plus They hit your
shield, bounce to neck, & down the front of jacket, sting Belly.
Gloves Have to fit perfectly! Pick up a dime. I'm a Held fan.
Titan s . I'll stop now, You are on the right track..
GregK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #11
itsEnZo
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the responses so far, peeps! Sorry for overloading you guys with questions, I just want to make sure everything I'm doing is correct .

I'm going to try to see if any MSF courses at a reasonable distance away from me offer ninja 250s as a practice bike so I can get a feel of it, but I'm not gonna raise my hopes up for now. Taking the MSF course in general should definitely confirm my feelings of wanting to ride or not, so signing up will be the first thing I do. I'll try and ask around to see if some of my buds knows someone who rides that has some gear hand-me-downs that I can wear temporarily while doing the course, otherwise I'll just do what csmith said and buy cheap gear for the moment.

@Mr.E & Malicious Logic- good info regarding leather in hot weather! The reason why I was so attracted to the overlord was that everyone that reviewed it kept saying it had great air ventilation. Glad that's confirmed (:

You know what? Because I'm such a thug, I'll be starting on a 250 haha. Who knows, I might end up keeping it instead of trading it in for something bigger- something most people around these forums seem to be doing, so it must be a pretty damn fun bike.

Now if only I can convince my boss to pay me a year in advance LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 13th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #12
GregK
ACFT,Trk, Cage, M/C mech.

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): SV650 track,YZF450,GS1100ESDbought new in'83,BANDIT1200, Raced into ground '86 &'88 GSXR750's...

Msf heads up

The Absolute Best practice, B4 the course is RIDE A BICYCLE!!
I've been 'coaching since 1991, & road raced ..Point being
Visual Directional Control!!!! U go where U look. Don't
Second guess your look, & by getting 10 fast miles on a Bicycle
your comfort transitioning to a M/C will be a Blast!!
GregK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #13
MarcoPolo
ninjette.org member

Name: Marco

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I commute to work everyday ( only 15 miles in the city) in dress shirt pants and tie. I used to wear dress shoes until i realized that I can use leave them at work and wear my boots for the commute. I pack a lunch every day along with folders etc and my backpack is just a school one, nothing fancy. If you put too much you can feel the backpack rest on the seat and it gets annoying but its no big deal. I go grocery shopping all the time and pick up the essentials. For the highway Its not bad. I've only done a few hour plus trips though. Im 6 foot four so I get a little cramped after a while and my butt and back start to hurt. I wouldn't want to go on the highway long distance with another person, but thats just my opinion. Oh and I feel pretty bad ass when im shopping in full gear The only thing I don't feel comfortable with is when I need to go 80 MPH + to pass a semi or car. The wind difference from 60 to 70 is crazy big, and 70 to 80 is even worse, but its still doable. I just don't like to cruse at 10k RPMs even though its common knowledge that the bike can handle it, I just feel bad for the little girl.

Once again just my opinion!

EDIT: I love the 250 for the city but personally I plan on getting a 650 once I build up enough skill and confidence so I can go on longer trips. I'm HOPING it is more comfortable for me and more stable at 80 MPH. As a new rider (got the bike in March as my first) I've had a few situations where I know i would have done an unexpected wheelie and ate **** if I wasn't on a 250 and im thankful for that. Plus everytime I ride with my gsxr friends they comment on how impressed that are that the 250 can keep up in the twisties. Michigan twisties that is, which aren't that impressive around here.

Old June 14th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #14
codestp202

I can really only give you my opinion on the 250 vs 650. I love the 250 for city driving and twisties, its so light and zippy and fun to ride. However, going back I would have gotten the 650. I've been riding on dirt my entire life and still decided to stay with the 250 just to be safe. I believe I would have had no problem starting on the 650 and the only reason I'm bothered with the 250 is the amount of high speed freeway riding I do. I'm just not comfortable with the fact that the bike is at 9-10k rpms and 6th gear and the bike does get blown around a bit by the wind. Very little passing speed when the bike is maxed out like that. However, you've never ridden so why not get a cheaper 250 for a season and move up to a 650 (This is what I'm trying to do). The supersports aren't necesarry but I think the 650 is a good idea if you commute a lot of freeway miles (Heavier, Larger displacement for freeway riding, also a good upright riding position like the 250, Comfy seat from what I hear)

Old June 15th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #15
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

If you're going to wear leathers on a daily basis get a long sleeved dri flow top & bottoms, leather is difficult to clean (not machine washable, damp sponge & no hard detergents)

Wear that under the leathers & throw them in the wash as needed. Lined leathers will pull hairs out each time you sweat in them then try to remove them, the long sleeve top & bottoms stop that too.
Is there anywhere to shower at work, anywhere I've worked had at least one shower
Posted via Mobile Device
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsEnZo View Post
Hey guys, I've been saving up money to buy a bike and gear (and the MSF course) for quite awhile, and it's getting very close to the point where I'll be able to afford all of this in only a few months. Even though I've been lurking for a looong time, there are still some things that I would like to be addressed by my favorite bike forum (:

1). Gear- I live in LA (sfv), and it can get pretty damn hot over here. HOWEVER, through research and reading peronal opinions on this site (as well as an accident I witnessed), I'm 100% dead set on getting full leathers. Am I retarded for even considering leather in LA heat? Is mesh and textile more than enough protection? Honestly, I can always change my sched to get to work early in the morning (safe from the heat) but i'd imagine that the ride after work would have me pretty drenched in sweat. Does it really feel that gross being sweaty under leathers, and will sweat wear out my leather faster than I want it to? Is leathr machine washable, or will I have to wash it by hand?for reference to my gear- oh, and I apologize for the lack of links, but I'm on my phone and it's too tedious. You can just type them into the search bar at sportbiketrackgear.com

Helmet- scorpion exo700
Jacket- icon overlord leather jacket (not the prime) w/ icon stryker back protector
Gloves- dainese carbon gloves (not the pro)
Pants- icon overlord prime leather pants
Boots- alpinestars s-mx 5

I hope I'm not overdoing my gear for my first time lol, but this is what I came up with after a bunch of looking around and researching. Would it be better to purchase cheaper gear for a first-timer?

2). Commuting- I'm planning on using my bike as a DD for as long as it can run. Now I know plenty of you have a lot of good things to say about it and I've read plenty of the benefits from you guys, but I would like to hear from the guys who think it's a bad idea, or just very tedious/difficult/unfun and why. I just want to hear both sides so I can properly weigh in the pros and cons as opposed to buying another car. How's carrying clothes and lunch in a backpack? How's travelling heavy/light? How's the commute with a person in the back? Is grocery/mall shopping while wearing full gear weird? Lol. Oh, and generally I pack very light, all i'd be bringing to work with me is a pair of shoes, pants, possibly a shirt if I decide wearing nothing underneath the jacket is justifiable due to heat, and lunch. From what I've read, I can fit all of this easily in an ogio backpack.

How's the traffic? I wanna hear from the cali people mostly, since they're the ones I can relate to the most (hot heat, LA traffic, lane-splitting legality). Most of my friends hate driving here since the traffic is so bad, but I honestly love driving and I'm pretty unphased by traffic. Would my attitude transfer over well when riding? What are the biggest changes I can expect going from a cage to a motorcycle?

3). Bike Choice- Okay, I will probably come off as a squid trying to justify a bigger bike looking for internet approval, but I assure you that I'm honestly looking for objective input. I'm pretty set on getting a 250, but ever since the new 650 came out, I've been toying with the idea of purchasing it. Maybe Jiggles will come bless me with his knowledge lol. No really, it would be much appreciated. I get on the freeway for a good portion of my commute, and the 101 can reach speeds of 85 and up. Typically though, it's around 75-80, at least at the times I get on it. I hear aout people complaining that the ninja get tossed around easily in the wind, and me being a small guy at 5'8" and 140lbs, I'm kinda worried. I'm also worried about the passing power of the 250. In a way, I'm already conditioned to deal with it since the passing power of my current car is probably worse (94 nissan sentra), but would the extra power and stability of a 650 benefit me? From what I hear, a 650 isn't that big of a jump from a 250, or am I really just subconsciously trying to justify a bigger bike? If so, slap me (preferrably not sexually, I might be encouraged if you do haha).

These are my main concerns; everything else I've had a question for has been thoroughly answered by you guys at least once (: Thanks for the replies guys, they are much appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device

my opinion only:
1) buy cheaper gloves for commuting. get some over-pants or riding jeans instead of the leathers for commuting.

2) commuting here is much quicker on 2 wheels vs 4. common place to lane split is between the fast lane and the HOV lane. dont forget, its legal for bikes to ride in the HOV lane. so if you dont want to split, just cruise with the carpoolers. you dont have to worry about cars as much there. commuting on a bike is not like commuting in a car. in a car you can relax, turn the radio on, and casually filter with traffic. on a bike, if you run with traffic you'll have someone trry to hit you ever 30 seconds because they think its an open spot in your lane. you need to constantly pay attention to everything around you which can be difficult if you aren't a morning person or are wrecked after work from stress or whatever. weather wise, if you work a typical 9-5, its not bad in the morning heat wise but in the summer it definitely gets warm on the ride home. luckily because of the lane splitting you typically never are stopped so you dont really get too hot, just uncomfortable -- especially if you have all black gear. during the cold season (noncalifornians probably notice i say cold season and not winter-- we dont actually have a winter here. it just gets a little bit colder) you'll definitely want to bring extra layers, especially for the morning. i know a lot of people carry back packs, some who also carry luggage (tail bag or tank bag or saddlebags). fully geared up you can carry a decent amount. doesnt compare to storage in a car, but you can bring a few bags worth of crap if you are setup for it.

3) if you havent ridden a bike before i would stay away from the larger displacement bikes, even the mild-mannered 650 twins. on a small bike like a 125 or 250, you will learn much quicker and will learn a lot of things you wont be able to learn on a bigger bike. being able to bring the machine closer towards its limits and learning how the bike reacts when its near those limits is much easier when you are going 35mph in 2nd gear, vs 100mph in 2nd gear. don't misunderstand me when i say this, the limit of the 250 is not 35mph. its a fast bike and will go faster than you will need on the street. its very quick up to about 50mph, after that its about as fast as decently powered car. unless you are trying to race something, you have more than enough power than you need with the 250. learn how to ride well first, and when you are ready, upgrade. if you keep it stock and in good shape your 250 will sell for close to what you paid for it.

Old June 15th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #17
Harr1s
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Harris

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

I don't have much advice but I'm city commuting in what will become 100 degree weather for a few weeks. I have the carbon cover gloves. I can't help but feel they are overkill. Dainese make an absurd amount of gloves per season so look for something with similar protection, maybe some extra back-of-palm protection, etc, without the gauntlet and with venting.

The carbon covers are really great for highway riding at night, or when it's cool out (sub 80) but they offer almost no airflow in stop-and-go. For the city, where top speeds are limited for me to 40 mph at most, I am looking to go shorty style with a textile back-of-hand construction.
Harr1s is offline   Reply With Quote