ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 27th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #41
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Actualy, you cnnot get fined if you ride a bicycle drunk and no ID or DL on you.

For few years, I've participated the annual New Year's Eve bicycle ride in Manhattan, 80% (if not more) of those participants are drunk on the rides.

I'm pretty sure there are more drunk (or high) bicyclist in NYC than anywhere else in the US any other time of year.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #42
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I find it funny that even the riders from NYC are advocating "NOT" riding in NYC.

I never said I wouldnt be using a bicycle. I never said I was going to lane split recklessly. Why are many comments so hung up on the "practicality" of riding a motorcycle in NYC? I explicitly expressed that I feel like riding is a lifestyle, something that I "thought" people would try to make work regardless of where they live. Am I wrong with this assumption?

@alex.s No worries. I think you were justified. Even if the majority rides a bicycle like that, it doesnt make it smart nor does it make it okay to do reckless things while drunk or do reckless things when sober for that matter.

Old December 27th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #43
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Very few people here seem to be giving you the answer you want. If riding is as important to you as you say it is and is something you are determined to integrate into your life, no matter where you live, then screw what everyone else says. You sound like a reasonable person. You seem to understand the traffic situation in NY and know it'll be rough. I'd suggest just doing the best that you can. You'd probably be able to park it pretty close to where you live since bikes can snag spots cars can't and just put a disk lock on it and hope for the best. Storing in the off season is common sense so I'm sure you've got that figured.

On a side note, I watch a lot of moto vloggers and there's one specifically that moved from out of state to NYC. If you'd like, I can find his youtube screen name and PM it to you. He'd probably be the best source of information on how things would be since he still rode after he moved to the concrete jungle. He also has vlogs riding around the city and one or two that show how riders park and such.

Good luck.
Malicious Logic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #44
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
On a side note, I watch a lot of moto vloggers and there's one specifically that moved from out of state to NYC. If you'd like, I can find his youtube screen name and PM it to you. He'd probably be the best source of information on how things would be since he still rode after he moved to the concrete jungle. He also has vlogs riding around the city and one or two that show how riders park and such.
That's not a side note! This is the kind of information that I am EXACTLY looking for!!!! Yes! Please PM me his information and anybody else's information that have done something similar.

Old December 28th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #45
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Well, if you're so bent on a masochistic experience, check out ducati monster forums - some folks ride in the city and might provide you some good info. I'd still bet they ride mostly for fashion rather than any practicality.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #46
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
Well, if you're so bent on a masochistic experience, check out ducati monster forums - some folks ride in the city and might provide you some good info. I'd still bet they ride mostly for fashion rather than any practicality.
Soooo are you saying I should abandon riding a motorcycle? Seems kind of extreme if it's something you love to do as a hobby. Not all hobbies are practical. That's why they're called hobbies.

Thanks for the forum reference. I'll check them out.

Old December 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #47
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Soooo are you saying I should abandon riding a motorcycle? Seems kind of extreme if it's something you love to do as a hobby. Not all hobbies are practical. That's why they're called hobbies.
Run your budget for a try.

How much can you afford on your student budget in a month to spend on your hobby for 2-wheel.

Insurance/registration cost in NYC to own a motocycle is how much per month?

Old December 28th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #48
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Wow, this thread got interesting since I last checked in.

I'll try to clarify the comments a bit on lane splitting:

From a legal standpoint, Los Angeles and Manhattan have the same laws on lane splitting: it's not technically legal. It is, however, accepted and expected.

The main difference is, in NYC the cab drivers split lanes, too. It's not uncommon to see 3 (I've even witnessed 4) cabs running side by side in 2 lanes (and sometimes part of the oncomming traffic's lanes). Yes, drivers NYC are insane, and yes, it's suspected that theres a lot of speed and crystal meth going around the cabbies to keep them awake during long shifts. It can be very exciting at times.

90% of the time, though, once you learn how traffic works there, riding a MC is almost as safe as anywhere else. It's an enjoyable experience and you'll get where you're going in half the time as a car (or taking a cab) and you'll never have to worry about finding a parking space.

The first time I went to Manhattan, on my Ducati, it scared the hell out of me, everyone cutting everyone off, yelling, honking at everyone, and general chaos. People making manuveres that didn't make any sense.
A few days later, I was talking to an experienced motorcyclist in NYC, and asked him for some advice. He explained it pretty simply. If you stay in your lane, you're create traffic and pissing people off. If you lane split, you're not getting in anyone's way.
So I tried it.

Obviously, it's a bit more complicated than that, but basically, he was right. Once you ride around a bit, you start to understand that those people who are honking are honking at you for taking up space in their lane. Those weird manuevers are people making room for you to pull inbetween cars. NYC people expect you to ride like everyone else there rides. And they're not actually out to kill you--they'll give you room to lanesplit. They'll pull up a foot or two forward if you're behind them and wave you on. First time I saw that, I couldn't figure out if they wanted me to run into them or ride over them....the second time I figured out that they were telling me to get out of the lane, and filter through to the front of the line so I'd be first to go when the traffic light changed. Not wanting to risk angering the cages, I did as told. Other drivers will also pull a few inches or so away to give you room.

Compare this to Washington DC, where drivers will open their door to knock you off if you try that here.

So, that's my opinion on lane splitting in NYC. I think it's a lot safer to operate a bike in the way that is expected and predictable, rather than in less common ways that will irritate or piss off cabbies.

Keep in mind two things, though:
* I'm only talking about Manhattan, where I have family and ride. I haven't ridden in Brooklyn or Queens or the Bronx or the other borroughss. I don't know what the situation is there.
* We're talking about Manhattan traffic, which moves at like 5mph. Don't go lane splitting at 90mph through Time Square and then when you wipe out claim I told you it was safe. Riding "between the lanes" doesn't mean you have to go faster than anyone else....just try to stay out of people's blind spots.

Old December 28th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #49
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Great info.. may I add a few notes. First, not everyone is a great driver - most folks (esp cabbies) know what they're doing, but some do not. It's a mixed bag. Nor will they see a motorcycle everytime and make room for you, esp with all the texting and driving going on - you gotta really watch out. But, yeah, lane-splitting is expected, better yet, they expect bikers to ride like morons. If you do not, you're actually a safety hazard, lol... Also, lots of pedestrians waiting to cross the road, at any place, any time. They usually don't pay attention to motorcyclists.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #50
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post

How much can you afford on your student budget in a month to spend on your hobby for 2-wheel.

I go to school, have a job, own 2 motorcycles, and I'm saving for a third. So what exactly is your point?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #51
setasai

Quote:

I appreciate the financial concern but I will assure you that I am not looking at the financial restrictions. I am concerned with the lifestyle change because as we all know, riding in San Francisco is very different from San Jose. Not the part where you use the clutch or the throttle but the lifestyle as a whole, the parking, the type of gear, the way you lock the bike, etc.

For all intensive purposes, just assume I can afford it without any problems and keep any more information with that assumption. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Wow, this thread got interesting since I last checked in.

Keep in mind two things, though:
* I'm only talking about Manhattan, where I have family and ride. I haven't ridden in Brooklyn or Queens or the Bronx or the other borroughss. I don't know what the situation is there.
* We're talking about Manhattan traffic, which moves at like 5mph. Don't go lane splitting at 90mph through Time Square and then when you wipe out claim I told you it was safe. Riding "between the lanes" doesn't mean you have to go faster than anyone else....just try to stay out of people's blind spots.
I totally understand what you're getting at. Sounds like something people either love it or hate it. I really appreciate all the specific information you are providing. Basically, learn the rules and type of riding that people expect and is necessary in the area you are in and dont make any more reckless decisions than necessary. Sounds reasonable to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I go to school, have a job, own 2 motorcycles, and I'm saving for a third. So what exactly is your point?
Have you decided on the 3rd one yet?

Old December 28th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #52
"A"
vampire

Quote:
So what are the numbers?

How much does school cost per month?

How much do you make a month?

How much does your motos cost for registration/insurance per month?

Let me know and I'll tell you my point.

Old December 28th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #53
setasai

Quote:
So what are the numbers?

Why are you so pessimistic and hellbent on bringing everybody else down?

It's not just you. I'm finding it more and more difficult to ask for advice around here without members making very unproductive and borderline offensive comments. Just uncool!

Old December 28th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #54
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Quote:
So what are the numbers?

Tell us your numbers "A",

or is that invasion of privacy?

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #55
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohnson21 View Post
Tell us your numbers "A",

or is that invasion of privacy?

Jiggles asked for my point, without HIS numbers it's difficult to present my point.
I dont need to provide my numbers since I already know I'm addicted to 2-wheel and I can afford it.
But for a student budget living in NYC, with a motorcycle to ride for leisure.. ?

Quote:
Why are you so pessimistic and hellbent on bringing everybody else down?

It's not just you. I'm finding it more and more difficult to ask for advice around here without members making very unproductive and borderline offensive comments. Just uncool!

You call it uncool, I call it being realistic.

If you spend $750-800 a month on rent (which is low for NYC) and make $3000 a month (that's nearly $36K a year, which is unlikely for a student) in NYC, doesn't leave you much for school, food,.. much less a moto registration/insurance.

You will be living in a city that has probably the most public transportation options, most bike lanes... owning a motorcycle in NYC.. not a good idea for a student.
I would focus more on study, save my money and rent a nice bike to ride when you get the urge on a nice day.. for the most other time of year when riding are not that great around NYC.. just pedal a bike or take the subway to save money.

Old December 28th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #56
setasai

Quote:
You call it uncool, I call it being realistic.

If you spend $750-800 a month on rent and make $3000 a month in NYC, doesn't leave you much for school, food.. much less a moto registration/insurance.
Realistic would be "hey just FYI, keep your budget in mind" and then proceed to answer my actual question. If you recall, my question is not about financials. It is only about lifestyle changes from those that have experience about riding in a major city. That is all I was concerned about. It was UNCOOL of you or anybody to go ON AND ON about forgetting the idea of owning a motorcycle.

Like I said before, I appreciate and understand the concern but I was asking something very specific and you and several others have provided nothing but negative and off-topic comments. If you ever ask for advice on a particular topic and the only responses that you got were "forget it you'll never get it to work", how would you feel? Would you be as receptive as you think you will? Wouldnt you prefer some sound advice that "could" make things work even if it still had a chance of not working? It's called support. I was under the impression that this forum was about the love of motorcycling wherever and whenever and provide as much support possible to keep it going.

Having to discuss the purpose and type of responses appropriate for my original question is taking away from the original purpose of my thread.

Old December 28th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #57
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Realistic would be "hey just FYI, keep your budget in mind" and then proceed to answer my actual question. If you recall, my question is not about financials. It is only about lifestyle changes from those that have experience about riding in a major city. That is all I was concerned about. It was UNCOOL of you or anybody to go ON AND ON about forgetting the idea of owning a motorcycle.

Like I said before, I appreciate and understand the concern but I was asking something very specific and you and several others have provided nothing but negative and off-topic comments. If you ever ask for advice on a particular topic and the only responses that you got were "forget it you'll never get it to work", how would you feel? Would you be as receptive as you think you will? Wouldnt you prefer some sound advice that "could" make things work even if it still had a chance of not working? It's called support. I was under the impression that this forum was about the love of motorcycling wherever and whenever and provide as much support possible to keep it going.

Having to discuss the purpose and type of responses appropriate for my original question is taking away from the original purpose of my thread.
You are wrong, I never said that you should forget it or it would never work for you. You should read more carefully.

This is a public forum, you ask for people's opinions and expereinces, whether you like it or not.. you will receive them.

I don't sugarcoat my answers, I expect people give me straight answers and opinions when I ask for them.

I presented valid options that you should consider while living in NYC on a student budget.

I've lived in NYC as a student, bicyclist and motorcyclist.
From my experience, owning a motorcycle in NYC is a waste of money and the riding experience is not worth the cost. Plenty of other things and experiences that you can do with that money that will enrich you as a person in the NYC.

As transportation, I got around in NYC faster with my bicycle than most other methods.. and it was excellent training for motorcycling without the significant cost.

Old December 28th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #58
setasai

Quote:
You are wrong, I never said that you should forget it or it would never work for you. You should read more carefully.

This is a public forum, you ask for people's opinions and expereinces, whether you like it or not.. you will receive them.

I don't sugarcoat my answers, I expect people give me straight answers and opinions when I ask for them.

I presented valid options that you should consider while living in NYC on a student budget.

I've lived in NYC as a student, bicyclist and motorcyclist.
From my experience, owning a motorcycle in NYC is a waste of money and the riding experience is not worth the cost. Plenty of other things and experiences that you can do with that money that will enrich you as a person in the NYC.

As transportation, I got around in NYC faster with my bicycle than most other methods.. and it was excellent training for motorcycling without the significant cost.
One at a time.

1) You never explicitly said to forget it but you also never gave any reason why it could work. I did read carefully. Not one of your responses had any inclination that it could work for me or anybody.

2) Agreed. Public forum but I would like to think that the members here are people that love motorcycling and would be eager to provide information to keep on riding. Would you be a horrible person to NOT be one of those that can be helpful and opinionated? I dont think at any point I have said anything offensive to you or anybody but have only requested that you be more helpful in my particular issue.

3) This isnt about sugarcoating. You voiced your opinion on how impractical riding is in NYC and I responded kindly that I understand but would like to emphasize that I would like to hear from members that have made it work.

4) I appreciate the ideas that would work better as a student but again, I kindly replied that I understand that its not practical and I will be using those modes of transportation you suggested as my main form of transportation BUT would still like to hear from members that have enjoyed riding in and around the city.

5) This is the first time you have mentioned that you have lived in NYC as a student with a motorcycle. Had you mentioned it earlier I would have and will still like to ask you what made it difficult? Why was it a bad experience for you? If it was financial then I understand but I am not concerned with the financial aspect. If I find my budget cannot handle it, I will sell my bike but at this moment, I can still afford it and would PREFER to keep it. If your reasons for a bad experience owning a bike in NYC was not financial, PLEASE enlighten us on what you didnt like.

6)I totally agree with your final comment about transportation. NYC is known for being very bicycle friendly and that will definitely be my main form of transportation in addition to walking, subway, rollerblading, taxi, car (when necessary), and hopefully motorcycling (when appropriate).

Keep the peace.

Old December 28th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #59
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Let me know if any of your family relatives disagrees with me and think it's a good idea to own a motorcycle in NYC on your student budget.
Quote:
Those riders that make it work would likely have spent more than your student budget can afford. Good luck

How exactly is this NOT telling him it will never work?

Quote:
So what are the numbers?

Does any of this matter? The fact that I'm saving for a third bike proves that I make it work. And I'll go ahead and answer on behalf of Brian, he pays somewhere around the staggering amount of $300 on second thought Brian, in the face of such a substantial amount of money perhaps you should give it up

Quote:
Have you decided on the 3rd one yet?
Haven't got a clue But I'm on a mission to have a garage fuller than A's, on a student budget of course.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #60
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Um....guys? We're the friendly 250 site, remember?
I'm just saying maybe we don't have to get quite so personal, both with emotions and with the questions we ask.

....and I was worried I'd offend the hardcore bikers if I suggested he try it and sell it if he didn't like it!

Old December 29th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #61
"A"
vampire

Quote:
How exactly is this NOT telling him it will never work?
Where exactly did you see the words: "you should forget it" or "it would never work for you" in my post?

Quote:
Does any of this matter? The fact that I'm saving for a third bike proves that I make it work. And I'll go ahead and answer on behalf of Brian, he pays somewhere around the staggering amount of $300 on second thought Brian, in the face of such a substantial amount of money perhaps you should give it up
It matters because it would show that you have actually ran the numbers, think about what you can afford, not just doing what you want beyond what you can afford. WTH is Brian? do I know Brian?
Many people buy motorcycles and can't afford to get enough insurance or even get insurance; in NYC, that's not a good idea.

BTW, you made it work, great; but somewhere else, not in NYC where $2.25 subway fare to get from point A to point B without hassle of traffic, parking.

Quote:
Haven't got a clue But I'm on a mission to have a garage fuller than A's, on a student budget of course.
We all can dream, but living in NYC on a student budget with a motorcycle do not allow one to afford many other dreams that one doesn't even realize possible.

Quote:
One at a time.

1) You never explicitly said to forget it but you also never gave any reason why it could work. I did read carefully. Not one of your responses had any inclination that it could work for me or anybody.
You are right, I did not explicitly said those thing, so don't acuse me of things I did not do.

If you really want to do something, would you let what anyone tell you otherwise?
You dont need people to support your ideas that you want to do, you only need to want it bad enough.

If you are ignorant of the things that you have no experience of and asking others for their opinions and experiences, you will receive what you ask for, whether you like what you receive or not. But I offered my honest opinions and experiences, for free.. leave them if you don't care for them, but do not pretend to think that they are not true.

Quote:
2) Agreed. Public forum but I would like to think that the members here are people that love motorcycling and would be eager to provide information to keep on riding. Would you be a horrible person to NOT be one of those that can be helpful and opinionated? I dont think at any point I have said anything offensive to you or anybody but have only requested that you be more helpful in my particular issue.
Sharing the love for 2-wheel doesn't mean motorcycling alone, certainly does not mean drumming you on to limit your budget with owning a motorcycle in NYC while givmissing out on other meaninful experience that you may able to afford otherwise, while you are living in the Big Apple.

Quote:
3) This isnt about sugarcoating. You voiced your opinion on how impractical riding is in NYC and I responded kindly that I understand but would like to emphasize that I would like to hear from members that have made it work.
Does that mean that I can not tell you about things you did not think about?

Quote:
4) I appreciate the ideas that would work better as a student but again, I kindly replied that I understand that its not practical and I will be using those modes of transportation you suggested as my main form of transportation BUT would still like to hear from members that have enjoyed riding in and around the city.
Good for you.
I don't need to re-enforce what you want to do, since you already want it.
But telling you what you did not realize to allow you to think from a different angle and hope that you make a thoughtful dicision when you get to NYC.
It might take minimal effort to get a motorcycles to or in NYC, but owning one

Quote:
5) This is the first time you have mentioned that you have lived in NYC as a student with a motorcycle. Had you mentioned it earlier I would have and will still like to ask you what made it difficult? Why was it a bad experience for you? If it was financial then I understand but I am not concerned with the financial aspect. If I find my budget cannot handle it, I will sell my bike but at this moment, I can still afford it and would PREFER to keep it. If your reasons for a bad experience owning a bike in NYC was not financial, PLEASE enlighten us on what you didnt like.
I don't have to disclose everything in my life experience to tell you what is true.

Quote:
6)I totally agree with your final comment about transportation. NYC is known for being very bicycle friendly and that will definitely be my main form of transportation in addition to walking, subway, rollerblading, taxi, car (when necessary), and hopefully motorcycling (when appropriate).

Keep the peace.
I'm sure you will figure out what's best for you.
But keep in mind that life experience in NYC is never what one expect nor one single experience.
Limiting your student budget by owning a motorcycle will certainly limit your ability to afford other experiences in NYC.

Old December 29th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #62
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I wasn't riding a motorcycle in NYC, but lived in NYC (queens/staten island) for nearly 2 yrs.
Manhattan between Central park south to the ferry (which includes time sq) is an area to avoid and is the area I would follow skippii's advice about lane splitting. North of that traffic clears up, to my memory, and in the Burroughs (bronx, queens etc). You can expect normal city traffic patterns just like DC/Chicago/LA etc etc. Which means, to me, riding a motorcycle would be same as anywhere else, but more on nerve racking side due to sooo many more cars/hazzards at any given time.

There are plenty of reasons for it to work and for it to not work, it's all up to you and what your willing to deal with. What did/didn't work for others is only really good as a guiding point, but that's it. You sound like you kinda know what your getting into and have methods to store the bike etc etc... which a lot of people would move and still not have any of that lined up. My advise since you mentioned weekends, is store the bike w family (think you said you had that) and on the weekends head OUT of the city to enjoy the ride (long island, upstate etc-- just don't go towards Jersey!!!!)

You can make money w/ the motorcycle if your motivated and it gives a reason to ride (messengers, outside Manhattan for 1 example, where the bicycleist don't go and a car is impractical... I remember in particular seeing scooters delivery driving food (just not pizza) but plenty of Chinese, Greek, Italian places to work for, just about everywhere has some type of delivery service -- hell corner deli's delivered!!!
So don't let the financial part of it, or those who focus on that aspect only, get you down. Just don't be a lazy and it will pay for itself most the year!

Edit: 'A' -To me this point your making is BS... your presuming too much that everyone will be like you (so it seems by your post) and regret paying for a motorcycle in lieu of being able to enjoy more of the various culture/experiences NYC provides. If all he DOES afford is school and his motorcycle, then who gives a f*ck, he got what he wanted to do accomplished.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #63
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

Brian, do you have an opportunity to stay with family for a week or two and demo your schedule for how NYC life will be like? Every person has a different experience and the best thing to do is give it a try yourself.

From my personal experience in non-NYC but major city, riding at first was epic, being able to get to places faster. Then it was realizing I still spent a lot of time sitting still and began to hate bicyclists for being able to get places even faster with less hassle.

I now ride downtown to get free parking especially since I live further away and bicycling isn't an option. The biggest thing I've noticed is my tires are squaring off a lot faster and since I'm going slowly I don't want to wear gear as much.

Occasionally I consider picking up a street legal dirt bike for the same experience but less weight/bulk, but that may be because I'm a girl and sometimes awkward turns threaten to topple me because I can't always brace myself properly.

On a financial note: I gave up a lot of other things to afford the bike while being a student. Minimum wage + textbooks + tuition + bike got to be a little tight but it was worth it in the end for me. Try to keep a little extra stash tucked away for surprise costs. Bike, school, or otherwise.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #64
setasai

I've stayed in NYC with family and alone for weeks at a time so I understand how NYC life is like. I used to live in upstate for 10 years and would visit my family every couple weeks since it was under an hour away.

The real question that I am uncertain about is that my entire family does not ride and very few of them drive. I never drove in NYC and while I can tell it is very crowded and cars drive different from the Bay Area, I dont know the culture or the lifestyle of a motorcyclist in the city.

@EsrTek and @miss_syn All fantastic information. I'm beginning to get a much much better idea on what it's like to ride in the city.

Great suggestion on making money with the motorcycle, though unlikely I will capitalize on it. Honestly, financials is not a concern of mine as of yet. With my current calculations with savings and grants/scholarships/loans, I think my budget should be just fine. More importantly, I might not even have time to ride so that could be the final dictator on whether this will end up working out.

In anycase, I'm very appreciative on the advice and "vision" on what it is like to ride in a major city. You have all helped my planning and decisions progress. In 6 months when I make the actual move, I'll know for sure but at this point, my mind is much more at ease.

Old December 30th, 2011, 03:36 AM   #65
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Jeez this thread tired me out.
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #66
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Not sure where else this topic could go.

There is a huge possibility that in ~6months I will be going to school in NYC (Harlem, Manhattan) for the next 4-6 years. I will be living in an apartment with limited parking and hopefully close enough to my school that I can walk instead. I am interested in hearing how those of you living in major cities, especially NYC, have incorporated owning a motorcycle into your lifestyles. For example, any input on storage, parking, and just all around ownership would help me greatly.

I started riding in CA so I know there is a huge lifestyle change and I am used to the easy accessibility of CA that I'm not sure how to make it work but I also cant bring myself to sell the bike or even the idea of not having one to ride.
Wierd that I have to quote the OP so it is clear what I'm replying to. Funny how these threads can move. Anyhoo . . .

I'm a California guy, too, and moved to Shanghai, China (population 26 million) with a motorcycle for work. So I know where you are coming from. Traffic was a nightmare, worse than NYC even, and people don't tend to follow traffic rules. I loved riding there. Well, not really, but I found it much easier and less stressful than a car to navigate crazy traffic, and my commute on the motorcycle was much quicker than in a car or public transport. Parking was easier as well. Really, it was so much less daunting to get the bike out and go somewhere when traffic was super crazy and I knew I could find parking downtown on the street. Even though public transport was great, and people said you didn't need a car, whenever I've lived in a big city, I've always had my own transportation and made it work. I know I can get by without it, but I like the freedom of being able to get away or get somewhere, well, else. I don't regret bringing transport with me at all. Recommended.

First problem I had was housing selection. You need to get something where you can park inside away from thieves and the weather, which can be hard to do. I got out of the downtown area a bit farther away from work to find a unit with covered parking, then used a simple motorcycle cover. (Fit my preference for more suburban living anyway). That said, millions of people there had motorbikes (usually of the 125cc or smaller variety granted) without a garage, keeping it on the porch or walking it into their house at night downtown. You might also choose to rent storage, particularly in the winter, or start dating a girl with parents nearby and use their garage. (Funny personal ad potential: Seeking SWF, with a garage . . .) At any rate, if you want to keep the bike, think of looking for an apartment like you had a pet --know that it is going to limit your options a bit, that you can make downtown work but more suburban is better, and know that you'll find something just fine with a bit more effort.

Other problems I ran into was gear storage downtown - I got there quicker and found parking easier than if I used my car or public transport, which was awesome. (Invest in a good chain lock, btw.) But then what to do with my boots, jacket and helmet, cuz I was not going to leave them on the bike. I found some solutions - less than ideal footwear that I could wear easily off the bike, a backpack with helmet sling with me everywhere. Then I stuffed a duffle and some bungees in the bottom of the backpack so I could put mail, groceries, etc. in the duffle and strap it to the bike when needed. You can sort it out. I also had trouble with quicker squaring off of tires, lower gas mileage, and need for more regular maintenance due to heavier, less friendly use. Need to maintain the bike more meticulously also because it was more exposed to the elements when parked at home. But these are, imho, all minor issues well worth the freedom to escape the city when needed.

Oh, one more thing. A nimble, lightweight bike was really nice to have (I had a 125!). Got rid of a 500 to do that. Ninjette really is as big as you'd want to go. As mentioned elsewhere here, a little street legal thumper dirt bike would be awesome.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #67
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

To the OP, why don't you get a Honda CBR 125? Those are great because their almost like bicycles but have enough power to get you on the freeway at the speed limit.
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #68
setasai

@Slono A genuine consideration. Except I LOVE my 250R soooo soooo much. Haha.

Old December 30th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #69
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

They don't sell the 125 on this side of the border.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #70
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
Resort town with 1% of the population of NY? you do realize there are more people in LA city than there are in NY city, right? and san diego, which is not far away, has about half the population of NY city. another fun fact, there are more people in LA county than there are in all of the state of new york.

edit: my bad, my brief look up led me wrong. NYC does actually have a little bit more people than LAC.

Almost double...
And take a look at population density
sense of humor, i might not have. respect for serious consequences and a respect for not making jokes about something that takes lives on a daily basis, however, i do have.

anyway, sorry brian for thread jacking. good luck with the move and the traffic if you decide to ride the bike. *out*
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote