ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old July 12th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #1
mariorivera830
MoVal's only ninjette :(

Name: Mario

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r SE Black with a dash of yellow

Talking Good Morning from Socal!

Hey everyone! I have been reading these forums for a few months now and now that my wife has finally removed my ass from my bike, I figured I would register.
I bought my black Ninja 250 SE about 6 days ago and haven't gotten off of it since. I was going to take everyone's advice on buying used, but when I went to the dealership to see what it's supposed to feel like (as a baseline when I check out the used ones), I came across my (future) bike. All black 2012 250 SE with 126 miles. I figured they they demo'd it.... alot. Turns out it was bought two weeks prior and returned for a bigger bike. My gain! I got a brand new 2012 in my favorite color, only 126 miles and a full warranty for 4400 OTD. and i got talked into the extended warranty... But now that I am starting to get used to everything, I really need to, kind of , make it my own. Any suggestions?
And thanks for all of your advice that everyone puts on here. It makes things a little less rough for us new guys.
mariorivera830 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Stingray1000
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Welcome!
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #3
mariorivera830

Thanks for the welcome!

Now that I think of it, there are a few issues that I have and thought that maybe someone has a solution for me...
1) Is there a way to beef up the suspension? SoCal freeways are horribly bumpy when I ride and if I carry a soda for lunch, its going to expode eventually.
2) Is there a way to further reduce the wind? No matter how much I lean on the tank, my head feels like I'm in a hurricane. I'm almost 6 feet tall, so I almost want to chalk that up to my height on a smaller bike, but hopefully someone has a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Old July 12th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #4
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toua

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 and Gsx-R 750 k8 (out of commission)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariorivera830 View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

Now that I think of it, there are a few issues that I have and thought that maybe someone has a solution for me...
1) Is there a way to beef up the suspension? SoCal freeways are horribly bumpy when I ride and if I carry a soda for lunch, its going to expode eventually.
2) Is there a way to further reduce the wind? No matter how much I lean on the tank, my head feels like I'm in a hurricane. I'm almost 6 feet tall, so I almost want to chalk that up to my height on a smaller bike, but hopefully someone has a solution.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome dude! Lets see, the ninja 250s, you can't adjust the suspensions.. which kinda sucks. And for wind, i would suggest a zerogravity double bubble windscreen. I don't really have any problems with stock windshield but for you, I would recommend you look into it. May or may not help but its an option
toua70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #5
mariorivera830

Quote:
Originally Posted by toua70 View Post
Welcome dude! Lets see, the ninja 250s, you can't adjust the suspensions.. which kinda sucks. And for wind, i would suggest a zerogravity double bubble windscreen. I don't really have any problems with stock windshield but for you, I would recommend you look into it. May or may not help but its an option
That does suck... would a different tire help with the bumps? Thanks for suggesting the double bubble. Any suggestions as to a certain brand or style? Also, is that something that i can put on myself. It looks fairly easy to just bolt on, but who knows? Thanks for your input.

Old July 12th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #6
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
That does suck... would a different tire help with the bumps? Thanks for suggesting the double bubble. Any suggestions as to a certain brand or style? Also, is that something that i can put on myself. It looks fairly easy to just bolt on, but who knows? Thanks for your input.
yes, the windscreen is something you can definitely do yourself. If you're unsure for whatever reason, refer to youtube or the DIY threads here on the forum. You simply unscrew the bolts and it should slide right out. I had to take mines out because I painted mines black. Tires will help with bump and little ridges on the fwys. I recently replaced my stock tires to the new Bridgestone Battlax S20r tires. Stock tire size is 110/70/17 in the front and 130/70/17 in the rear. I kept the size in the front stock and the rear i had a 150/70/17 on there so its a bit wider and handles really good. On my way to replace the tires, I had to cross this bridge to get to san pedro. Anyway, over the bride, there were ridges and as i ride through them, the bike would move from side to side so that sucked. After tires were replaced, i headed back and when i came to those ridges again, I kinda braced myself for it but guess what? I didn't feel a thing! so yeah, i would say having a wider tire would make the bike more stable based off my experienced.

Old July 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #7
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

welcome! I think people usually go with the Zero Gravity or PUIG DB screen. I myself have the zero gravity. Looks great and very functional.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #8
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
welcome! I think people usually go with the Zero Gravity or PUIG DB screen. I myself have the zero gravity. Looks great and very functional.
don't listen to broilmebk - he doesn't know what he's talking about
hahahahha jk..

Old July 12th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #9
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Welcome aboard brother.
In addition to DB screens, you might look into getting clip-ons and a rearset to stretch your 6 foot frame over the bike for better comfort...I kinda realize that the work needed to install the two might be a bit over your head, considering you're just starting out, but just look into them.

Old July 12th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #10
mariorivera830

Quote:
yes, the windscreen is something you can definitely do yourself. If you're unsure for whatever reason, refer to youtube or the DIY threads here on the forum. You simply unscrew the bolts and it should slide right out. I had to take mines out because I painted mines black. Tires will help with bump and little ridges on the fwys. I recently replaced my stock tires to the new Bridgestone Battlax S20r tires. Stock tire size is 110/70/17 in the front and 130/70/17 in the rear. I kept the size in the front stock and the rear i had a 150/70/17 on there so its a bit wider and handles really good. On my way to replace the tires, I had to cross this bridge to get to san pedro. Anyway, over the bride, there were ridges and as i ride through them, the bike would move from side to side so that sucked. After tires were replaced, i headed back and when i came to those ridges again, I kinda braced myself for it but guess what? I didn't feel a thing! so yeah, i would say having a wider tire would make the bike more stable based off my experienced.
Thanks for that! I wasn't sure what size would be best for the back wheel. We have those ridges in the freeways down here too, they must be a california thing.
As for the zero gravity windshield, thanks as well. I will definitely be looking into these tomorrow night. As well as the tron helmet that I saw a picture of earlier today.

Old July 12th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #11
mariorivera830

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
Welcome aboard brother.
In addition to DB screens, you might look into getting clip-ons and a rearset to stretch your 6 foot frame over the bike for better comfort...I kinda realize that the work needed to install the two might be a bit over your head, considering you're just starting out, but just look into them.
What are clip ons? And I assume that a rear seat is something that makes the rear seat the main seat, right? That may work! I think I may start with the zero gravity first then if that doesn't work, go with the rear seat. I've got a long upper torso and stubby short legs, so somehow its not uncomfortable riding 50 mins to and from work.

Last futzed with by mariorivera830; July 12th, 2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Forgot a word, stupid phone keyboard

Old July 12th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #12
mariorivera830

Quote:
Apparently I'm not supposed to listen to you; you don't know what you're talking about...... kidding! Thanks. I seem to read zero gravity alot so I will take that as a glowing endorsement! Thanks!

Old July 12th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #13
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
What are clip ons? And I assume that a rear seat is something that makes the rear seat the main seat, right? That may work! I think I may start with the zero gravity first then if that doesn't work, go with the rear seat. I've got a long upper torso and stubby short legs, so somehow its not uncomfortable riding 50 mins to and from work.
no rear sets are pretty much your foot pegs. If you get some good aftermarket ones, you can pretty much adjust them to different positions. You can move the pegs further back so that it will stretch out your body more so that it will be more comfortable for you since you are taller, you won't be sitting upright.

Old July 12th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #14
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Apparently I'm not supposed to listen to you; you don't know what you're talking about...... kidding! Thanks. I seem to read zero gravity alot so I will take that as a glowing endorsement! Thanks!
lmao i'm joking btw, i ride with broilmebk and he's really good

Old July 12th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #15
mariorivera830

Quote:
lmao i'm joking btw, i ride with broilmebk and he's really good
I was hoping you were or else that may have come off as a bit dickish. About the rear SETS, I thought he meant rear SEAT. That may work even better than my idea of rear seat. Does that replace my pegs or the passenger pegs? My wife wants to take a few rides with me once I have a few more miles and experience under my belt, that's why I ask.

I would like to really get into the whole 250 community, but with my work schedule, it makes it really hard. I work 12 hour rotating shifts. Who knew papermaking was so demanding?!

BTW, I have my MSF (is that right? The motorcycle safety class) this weekend, any tips from anyone who's gone through it ready?

Old July 12th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #16
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I was hoping you were or else that may have come off as a bit dickish. About the rear SETS, I thought he meant rear SEAT. That may work even better than my idea of rear seat. Does that replace my pegs or the passenger pegs? My wife wants to take a few rides with me once I have a few more miles and experience under my belt, that's why I ask.

I would like to really get into the whole 250 community, but with my work schedule, it makes it really hard. I work 12 hour rotating shifts. Who knew papermaking was so demanding?!

BTW, I have my MSF (is that right? The motorcycle safety class) this weekend, any tips from anyone who's gone through it ready?
Haha yeah me and broilmebk are buddies. As far as msg, you should be fine man. You just go thru a bunch of courses. Practice emergency quick stops, swirving, etc. Easy stuff and fun and informative.

Old July 12th, 2012, 11:31 PM   #17
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Stupid autospell on my phone... msf *

Old July 13th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #18
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Haha yeah me and broilmebk are buddies. As far as msg, you should be fine man. You just go thru a bunch of courses. Practice emergency quick stops, swirving, etc. Easy stuff and fun and informative.
HAH. Says you! I don't know this toua person...

Old July 13th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #19
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
HAH. Says you! I don't know this toua person...
awww

Old July 13th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #20
mariorivera830

Quote:
awww
I guess you ARE brothers! By that response, you must be the younger brother tuoa. That's awesome that you guys are cool, did you guys know each other prior to these boards?

Old July 13th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #21
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I guess you ARE brothers! By that response, you must be the younger brother tuoa. That's awesome that you guys are cool, did you guys know each other prior to these boards?
hahah all joking aside...We met through ninjette. LT is super cool. Helps out a lot

Hope to see you around

Old July 13th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #22
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Wrong The rear shock is adjustable It will help

also tires make a huge difference, the stock tires are rough, best upgrade I did was the bt-016 fro street on my 250

they make a Chinese $25 double bubble, look on ebay

Old July 13th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #23
mariorivera830

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
Wrong The rear shock is adjustable It will help

also tires make a huge difference, the stock tires are rough, best upgrade I did was the bt-016 fro street on my 250

they make a Chinese $25 double bubble, look on ebay
About the suspension, how?
And as far as the double bubble goes, should I get one like that (will it be safe) Or should I just bite the bullet and get one from zero gravity?
Thanks for your input!

And the tires are going to be the first major thing I'm going to change. It seems everyone has that suggestion.

Old July 13th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #24
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

There is a ring back there that you spin. The tool is in your little tool kit in the back

Ebay one is fine, I used it for a while. The hot boddies looks the best imho

Old July 13th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #25
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
There is a ring back there that you spin. The tool is in your little tool kit in the back

Ebay one is fine, I used it for a while. The hot boddies looks the best imho
whhhhaaaaaatttt!?!?!? i thought they shocks on the 250s are not adjustable?? don't listen to Kevin. He has no idea what the heck he's talking about. LMAO see you tomorrow kevin!

Old July 13th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #26
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
whhhhaaaaaatttt!?!?!? i thought they shocks on the 250s are not adjustable?? don't listen to Kevin. He has no idea what the heck he's talking about. LMAO see you tomorrow kevin!
haha I'll show you tomorrow how to adjust it

Old July 13th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #27
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
haha I'll show you tomorrow how to adjust it
lol i know how to adjust it, i just never bothered with it because i read somewhere that the shocks on the 250s were non adjustable.. plus it doesn't bug me so i just left it but yes, be at my place by 650am so we can go meet up broilmebk by 730..

Old July 13th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #28
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I guess you ARE brothers! By that response, you must be the younger brother tuoa.
actually, i'm a little older than brian... but not by much, just by 4 years lmao.. im old

Old July 13th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #29
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
lol i know how to adjust it, i just never bothered with it because i read somewhere that the shocks on the 250s were non adjustable.. plus it doesn't bug me so i just left it but yes, be at my place by 650am so we can go meet up broilmebk by 730..
It makes a huge difference lol

Just took a pic of the shock on the 636 to help give an idea how to adjust it

Old July 13th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #30
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
It makes a huge difference lol

Just took a pic of the shock on the 636 to help give an idea how to adjust it

lmao so funny dude.. when i bought the 250, the guys at the dealership gave me those crappy tools and they took the tool to adjust the shocks away bc they said i didnt need it -___- i was sure i read that it wasnt adjustable either so i never bothered with it.. now im curious... but yeah, trust kevin on this one man. He's real good on bikes. And i'm not being sarcastic lol

Old July 13th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #31
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
lmao so funny dude.. when i bought the 250, the guys at the dealership gave me those crappy tools and they took the tool to adjust the shocks away bc they said i didnt need it -___- i was sure i read that it wasnt adjustable either so i never bothered with it.. now im curious... but yeah, trust kevin on this one man. He's real good on bikes. And i'm not being sarcastic lol
They did?! wtf... Long beach motor sports?

and thanks

Old July 13th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #32
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
They did?! wtf... Long beach motor sports?

and thanks
yeah they did. And yes, long beach motorsports. That's super lame. :

Old July 13th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #33
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Those ****ers, I hate them. I got my 636 from del amo (same company)

Old July 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #34
toua70
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Those ****ers, I hate them. I got my 636 from del amo (same company)
I EFFIN HATE DEL AMO MOTORSPORTS LOL (DAMN DUDE, WE'RE BLOWING UP THIS THREAD)

Old July 13th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #35
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
I EFFIN HATE DEL AMO MOTORSPORTS LOL (DAMN DUDE, WE'RE BLOWING UP THIS THREAD)
Yeah, the sales people are retarded, the staff is all retarded, and there pricing is full retarded. Good thing I'm less retarded lol so I got my bike for a dumb deal

And yeah #threadjack

Old July 14th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #36
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #37
mariorivera830

Alright folks, I just got back from my first day of msf class. Aside from the heat, it was decent teachings. To be honest, alot of what they went over today was stuff that I have read here on the forums. From emergency stopping, to turns and basic stuff like that. So it felt like a refresher course for me. Tomorrow is the test for the written and driving skills. I kind of felt like the experienced guy there cause the rest of the class had never touched a bike. They dropped one chick (a super petite Asian girl maybe 105 and 5' tall) because she kept dropping the bike and stalling it out. Crazy, because I was talking to her prior to class and she told me she wanted either a 600 or at the very least a 250. We all rode 250s and considering, I was torn between the Honda and the kawasaki, I'm glad I picked the ninja. The class is at the "Honda Rider Education Center" so the instructors got a kick out of that.

Old July 19th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #38
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote