ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old August 14th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

My 2nd low side on the track

Been having problems with this turn all day since I was turning in too soon. This time the front decided it wanted to slide. It was sub 100 degrees out on the track and my BT-16 front just got worn and greasy.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old August 14th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Vid is private mang.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Hmm is it working now? I hate typing on my phone.

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

It worked for me. Sorry about your crash. Do you know what you did wrong?

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
It worked for me. Sorry about your crash. Do you know what you did wrong?
Enlighten me grand master Nemesis as to what you think

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #6
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Race), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 (Track), 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Street)

Currently at work so I can't watch the vid, but what track is it at?
MKlein3004 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Hmm is it working now? I hate typing on my phone.
Working now thanks. I see what you did wrong there.... you still have the factory rear fender.

Bummer about the down but work it out yo.

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Looks like your line was wide about an arm length and you might have tried to make a steering correction post apex to hit your exit? Maybe just bad timing, a tad late on the gas + steering correction = washed front. Sound about right? Hard to tell from camera perspective. Spent tire didn't help either I bet.

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Get you a set of BT003's or Rossos!

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it looks like you crashed. hope you had fun! looks like it was a fun one. those low speed drops are always entertaining. looks like you may have bashed your knee up though, hope you feel better!

(rossos are way better than 003s)

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #11
flippn
ninjette.org member

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Texas Tracks

Cuong, would you by chance know what tracks are closest to Austin? I'll be moving there at the end of the month, just scoping out the track day and possibly racing scene.

Thanks in advance.
flippn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #12
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Enlighten me grand master Nemesis as to what you think
That wasn't a sarcastic comment. I was sincere in asking. Crashing is part of learning and it would really help if you understood what you did wrong. But only you would really know this. We can only speculate.

But giving too much thought as to "why you crashed" can be detrimental too especially if you have no idea why you crashed.

Best thing to do is get out there soon as possible and brush away that fear and ride your heart out.

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #13
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKlein3004 View Post
Currently at work so I can't watch the vid, but what track is it at?
Grand Sport Speedway out in Hitchcock, Tx. It's a fun little track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I see what you did wrong there.... you still have the factory rear fender.
You shut your hole!

Yeah perspective sucks. I knew my line was off but I decide to keep at and just go wide. Coming into the turn I felt the front slip and I guess I just hopped the throttle and maybe that's when I lost it. Can't remember exactly has it happened so fast.

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #14
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

welp..guess i'ma just jam this windscreen back in there..yep..that should do it, good as new
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #15
JA-Moo
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): many kawasaki 2 stroke triples and a 250R now. Well no more 250R, 2013 300 now

you are definitely still learning. Lines were way off. You didn't have a lot of lean, so I don't see how the tire just pushed out on you.
JA-Moo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #16
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Cool

Quote:
Get you a set of BT003's or Rossos!
Going with Pirellis next unless I get slicks and an extra set of wheels. People here don't seem to have too much confidence in the 003rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
it looks like you crashed. hope you had fun! looks like it was a fun one. those low speed drops are always entertaining. looks like you may have bashed your knee up though, hope you feel better!

(rossos are way better than 003s)
Yeah I can out unscathed with no bruises or injuries. Long legs and knee out helped kinda as I was like knee surfing for a short bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippn View Post
Cuong, would you by chance know what tracks are closest to Austin? I'll be moving there at the end of the month, just scoping out the track day and possibly racing scene.

Thanks in advance.
Closest track to Austin is Harris Hill out in San Marcos just south of Austin. I haven't made it out there yet but I think Elite track days run it for motorcycles. Www.harrishillroad.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
That wasn't a sarcastic comment. I was sincere in asking. Crashing is part of learning and it would really help if you understood what you did wrong. But only you would really know this. We can only speculate.

But giving too much thought as to "why you crashed" can be detrimental too especially if you have no idea why you crashed.

Best thing to do is get out there soon as possible and brush away that fear and ride your heart out.
That was a serious reply on my part. I wanted your speculation as to why I went down from your perspective of the crappy video. It's hard to damper my spirits wished I brought my extra rearset though.

Old August 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #17
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
just speculating here, but it looks like maybe you early apexed the turn pushing your exit wide, you tried to fix it by scrubbing speed and maybe combined with trying to correct your line it overloaded the front

Old August 14th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #18
flippn
ninjette.org member

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Thanks Cuong, I'll check it out. Sorry for jacking the thread by the way. Maybe I'll see you on the track sometime.

I'll have to agree with Alex on his assessment (early apexed).

I tend to apex early when I'm not familiar with a track.
flippn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #19
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
People here don't seem to have too much confidence in the 003rs.
I've had good luck with the 120/70 BT-003 Race Type 4 Front. Its gotten me (2m11s) to with in 5 seconds of the lap record (2m06s) with mostly stock suspension (Only stiffer springs). If you do use a 120 front, you need to raise your forks to about 16mm.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #20
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Race), 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636 (Track), 2005 Ducati Monster 620 (Street)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippn View Post

Thanks in advance.
Neil,

when you move out to Texas, also look into Ridesmart.info, and Lonestar Track days. These are two other track day services in Texas. Do not be a stranger to Ridesmart, that is who I usually go with.

Old August 14th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #21
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Quote:
Grand Sport Speedway out in Hitchcock, Tx. It's a fun little track.
I want to try and make it out to that track, and MSRH, but it is kind of a trek for me to make it there, definitely needs to be when I have the whole weekend off. I will let you know if I make it down there this year.

Old August 14th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #22
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino74 View Post
I've had good luck with the 120/70 BT-003 Race Type 4 Front. Its gotten me (2m11s) to with in 5 seconds of the lap record (2m06s) with mostly stock suspension (Only stiffer springs). If you do use a 120 front, you need to raise your forks to about 16mm.
When I tried to search for the Race Spec version of the BT003RS, I can't seem to find them. Where are you getting yours from.

Most the guys I ride with at track days, race their Ninjettes, and they use BT003RS Race Spec/BT003RS (Front/Rear, 120/140). I will look into either this set up or Rosso II.

As for the BT016, that is what I went down on, and I lossed the rear. Maybe we are just to fast for the tires? Or atleast my instructor told me to get better tires and suspension, because I as taking corners close to his speed, and he is a lvl 3 Rider (I'm lvl 1).

Old August 14th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #23
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

felt u were also too late on the gas. looks like you came in too wide and too late on the gas caused u to low side. Im still a noob but that is what it looked like to me

Old August 14th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #24
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
When I tried to search for the Race Spec version of the BT003RS, I can't seem to find them. Where are you getting yours from.

Most the guys I ride with at track days, race their Ninjettes, and they use BT003RS Race Spec/BT003RS (Front/Rear, 120/140). I will look into either this set up or Rosso II.

As for the BT016, that is what I went down on, and I lossed the rear. Maybe we are just to fast for the tires? Or atleast my instructor told me to get better tires and suspension, because I as taking corners close to his speed, and he is a lvl 3 Rider (I'm lvl 1).
You can find the race specs only at licensed vendors. FastLine and whoopies are the only ones that go to GSS. Ride Smart and LSTD do not. There is also MSR Cresson and Eagle Canyon raceway up around the Denton area. Either way, they're a trip for you no matter what. I've had no issues with the rear BT-16. Are you sure you are running the right preload and pressure for your weight?

@dino74 I'll need to focus more on my riding first before I get caught up trying to go faster

Old August 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #25
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

Quote:
You can find the race specs only at licensed vendors. FastLine and whoopies are the only ones that go to GSS. Ride Smart and LSTD do not. There is also MSR Cresson and Eagle Canyon raceway up around the Denton area. Either way, they're a trip for you no matter what. I've had no issues with the rear BT-16. Are you sure you are running the right preload and pressure for your weight?

@dino74 I'll need to focus more on my riding first before I get caught up trying to go faster
Well I am a fatty, so I have the Preload at 5. Pressure was 26 cold. For my weight and riding style, I definitely need suspension upgrades, which are on the way. Dogbones from Rexbo with a GSX-R 600 Rear shock, and springing the fronts for my weight with heavier oil before the next track day. I will have the rear shock setup before I enter the track next track day. Probably Rosso II's also, not sure yet if I can swing them or not.

Old August 14th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #26
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

i maybe totally wrong but from the helmet cam angle it looks like you ride pretty straight up instead of putting your weigh on the "inside" the turn..

again i maybe wrong.. do you have any photos from any track days?

EXAMPLE:

pretty good.

not so much.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #27
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
I usually buy them from http://viets-performance.com/

There's a pdf of the Bridgestone Data at http://viets-performance.com/Home/Br...ency-Payouts_3
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #28
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Am sitting too upright to be able to push the bike upright? Meaning I need to get up and over the tank and directly off it's side?

@Gurk here are some screenshots of the previous track day I did. may not much of help huh?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg moreelbow.jpg (39.5 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg moreelbow2.jpg (34.5 KB, 187 views)

Old August 14th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #29
JA-Moo
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): many kawasaki 2 stroke triples and a 250R now. Well no more 250R, 2013 300 now

Your form is pretty good, maybe work on getting your head lower and more inside. Remember to have your outside leg locked against the bike, upper torso loose, and arms loose on the bars. A lot of guys will support weight on the inside bar, that's wrong. And remember, to not use the bars for leverage moving on the bike, use your legs.
JA-Moo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #30
Gurk
Done here.

your form is nowhere near as bad ad my "bad example".
ja-moo pretty much said it though. head down should help lower your center of gravity. our heads and chests weigh a lot!

i dont know if it contributed to your crash but leaning off the bike towards inside and keeping the bike a tad more upright will help since you'll use more available grip from your tires instead of riding at the edge.

something im still practicing too. hard to get it right in every corner at the moment.

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #31
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

It really does help having a camera record you and getting outside feedback Thanks!

Old August 15th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #32
MKlein3004
Fighting Texas Aggie '08

point your elbow a little more. that will force you top half to get off the bike. Also snug your leg up against the topside of the bike. How are you feet? Are you "duck footing it". Just curious as this discussion about body positioning had me thinking about what to work on as I go through my track days.

Rant/Also, it makes me so mad when I see people crossing themselves up, but think they are cool because they get their knee down. Sometimes, your knee on the ground isn't the fastest way around a track!!!!!!!
Rant Over/

Old August 15th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #33
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Rant/Also, it makes me so mad when I see people crossing themselves up, but think they are cool because they get their knee down. Sometimes, your knee on the ground isn't the fastest way around a track!!!!!!!
Rant Over/
I ride a bit crossed up :

Hard to see here but you can see my shoulders are pointing off to the right (outside of turn)

Granted I agree and hate when people's sole mission is to drag knee (Sure it'd be cool but I'm not gonna go out of my way to do it unsafely)

But I don't think crossed up is "WRONG" or anything. I thought it was. But I talked to a racer that I trust and he says you should ride however you're comfortable GRANTED YOU DON'T THROW THE BIKE'S BALANCE OFF.

Here's Mick Doohan for an extreme example :

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #34
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
But I don't think crossed up is "WRONG" or anything. I thought it was. But I talked to a racer that I trust and he says you should ride however you're comfortable GRANTED YOU DON'T THROW THE BIKE'S BALANCE OFF.
I know you can carry some kick a** speed riding however you want but if this was 100% true for every pace, then why hang off in the first place? It's for sure NOT as comfortable as just tucking.

At some point, to keep confidence in traction a rider will have to adjust their position on the bike to combat lean angle for the new faster pace.

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #35
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
I know you can carry some kick a** speed riding however you want but if this was 100% true for every pace, then why hang off in the first place? It's for sure NOT as comfortable as just tucking.

At some point, to keep confidence in traction a rider will have to adjust their position on the bike to combat lean angle for the new faster pace.
Mick Doohan was plenty fast

You still HAVE TO do some of the stuff. Hanging off for example is very necessary to lower center of gravity. Not hanging off WILL cause your tires to give up at some speeds and some lean angles.

I think crossed shoulders are frowned upon cause people think that everybody who rides crossed up lifts themselves up with their arms. This is certainly not true. In many cases I found out forcing myself to not cross up leads me into using arms more and I can't control the bike as I want to. Everybody uses their body differently.

Granted I'm still working on it. I might find a way to not be crossed up and use my legs only. For now I found a position I'm relaxed at, at my speed. We'll see how things will change with more speed every time out.

I think my priority right now is the ultra sharp upper back pain I get in the exact same spot. Like right below my neck. It starts after 3-4 sessions and gets worse and worse after each session until I can't even lift my head up anymore..

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #36
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
I think my priority right now is the ultra sharp upper back pain I get in the exact same spot. Like right below my neck. It starts after 3-4 sessions and gets worse and worse after each session until I can't even lift my head up anymore..
Possibly a pinched nerve. Did you have an accident a while back?

Old August 15th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #37
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Possibly a pinched nerve. Did you have an accident a while back?
I believe so. And I did. But I doubt it's related. I had a handful of trackdays after the crash where it didn't hurt. Pain started recently.

I'll see if there's anything I can do (physical therapy? stretching of sorts?) to get rid of it. Sucky part is, it ONLY happens when riding on track. I ride bicycle to work every day. Doesn't happen. Any daily activity, doesn't happen.

Old August 15th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #38
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Maybe your neck forgot how much it has to work with a helmet on? Could do some slow neck rotations and stretches without and with your helmet on.

Old August 15th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #39
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

just a noob here, but maybe you applied excessive throttle at whatever lean angle you were at and your traction credit card got maxed out. sounds like you hammered the throttle during the turn instead of a smooth gentle roll on.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #40
Gurk
Done here.

Quote:
Maybe your neck forgot how much it has to work with a helmet on? Could do some slow neck rotations and stretches without and with your helmet on.
I doubt it. I go to track at least once a month
AND I have pretty much one of the lightest production helmet ever made!

But I do believe neck rotations and stretches will help out.
I'm a fatass that doesn't move all day so I'm sure that contributes to the problem.. I'm hoping to change that soon and i believe that should help also.