ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old February 29th, 2016, 10:27 PM   #1
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250

Serious Bike accident, need some help

Hey everyone,

So here's my story, I got into an accident last year on my way home from school. A 17 year old girl decided to make an illegal u-turn from the middle lane which ejected me from my bike at around 40 mph. Somehow i didn't break anything and I was taken out of the critical critical care unit after a week. I was able to talk and everything but I wasn't really there and have no memory of it to this day since I suffered a traumatic head injury. After 3 weeks I got out the hospital but it did take another 2 week to recover my memory because everything I knew was gone. I became a 24 year old infant.

Ok so here is where I need help.

The hospital has been paid but I owe 10k for physicians which I don't know why the charge was different than the hospital. I started a Go Fund Me campaign "gofundme.com/yfr276ss" but I don't know where to go and ask people to help. The insurance said they will try to lower the amount but I'll still need help.

Does anyone know how or where I can go to have people help me?

I personally have no idea where to go but here, to ask what I should do to have people donate or share my GFM campaign.
Animoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2016, 11:55 PM   #2
chugs
Schönen Tag noch

Name: c

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250 race bike, 02 gixxer 600 telefonica

Wouldn't the 17 yr old girl's auto insurance cover your medical costs?

Last futzed with by chugs; March 1st, 2016 at 03:10 AM.
chugs is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 1st, 2016, 12:03 AM   #3
Animoto
ninjette.org member

That's what I thought also but my insurance covered the medical bills, I don't really know why. I been making payments for some bills I been getting. Its just that I didn't realize that huge sum was also needed until the lawyer told me that, that going to have to paid by me.

Old March 1st, 2016, 12:09 AM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Sadly can't help with the bills, but might be able to help understand why the bills.

Say you needed an xray and it is done at the hospital. The hospital will charge for the actual taking of the xray. However, the tech taking the picture (likely) isn't certified to read the film and give a diagnosis. So the hospital sends the film to a radiologist who reads the film and gives the official report. Now you have a second bill from the radiologist.

Same with doctor visits or lab work. The hospital has its own charge for the room and supplies while the doctor has their own charge for seeing you and the lab has its charge for processing samples.

The more convoluted the treatment, and the more offices/professionals involved, the more bills you get.

It's overwhelming until you can sit down and put all the invoices and explanation of benefits (insurance payments) together to track who was doing what and when. It really really helps to keep everything together and sort it by day of service. I tend to staple everything in order (appointment/visit info, original invoice, insurance payment, my payment) so I know what is paid and what is outstanding.

Hopefully the insurance has a good contracted rate with the remaining bills and you won't end up with too much out of pocket.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 01:27 AM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Have you hired an attorney?

it sounds like you need one, consultations tend to be free and they'll be able to figure out what's going on pretty quickly. I am fairly certain that your insurance should not be covering the incident if you were not at fault

Old March 1st, 2016, 04:47 AM   #6
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
You dont need a go fund me, you need an attorney, her insurance should be paying.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 09:35 AM   #7
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Sadly can't help with the bills, but might be able to help understand why the bills.

Say you needed an xray and it is done at the hospital. The hospital will charge for the actual taking of the xray. However, the tech taking the picture (likely) isn't certified to read the film and give a diagnosis. So the hospital sends the film to a radiologist who reads the film and gives the official report. Now you have a second bill from the radiologist.

Same with doctor visits or lab work. The hospital has its own charge for the room and supplies while the doctor has their own charge for seeing you and the lab has its charge for processing samples.

The more convoluted the treatment, and the more offices/professionals involved, the more bills you get.

It's overwhelming until you can sit down and put all the invoices and explanation of benefits (insurance payments) together to track who was doing what and when. It really really helps to keep everything together and sort it by day of service. I tend to staple everything in order (appointment/visit info, original invoice, insurance payment, my payment) so I know what is paid and what is outstanding.

Hopefully the insurance has a good contracted rate with the remaining bills and you won't end up with too much out of pocket.

I feel like someone should had told me this. thanks for explaining how my bill worked. I really didn't even think that there where going to be such separate charges. I'm going to have to share this sooner than later with family because my parents and girlfriend where wondering about the extra charge. Sadly this is one of those things that should be known at least by people who have to be in a hospital.

Old March 1st, 2016, 09:41 AM   #8
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animoto View Post
I feel like someone should had told me this. thanks for explaining how my bill worked. I really didn't even think that there where going to be such separate charges. I'm going to have to share this sooner than later with family because my parents and girlfriend where wondering about the extra charge. Sadly this is one of those things that should be known at least by people who have to be in a hospital.
Start talking to attorney's. Like, immediately now.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 09:52 AM   #9
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
You dont need a go fund me, you need an attorney, her insurance should be paying.

well I agree about her paying for this but its been like 6 month since the accident and the lawyer helped me get help from her insurance to pay for my medical insurance charges. I literally just finished dealing with the lawyer a few days ago, I feel like its just a little late for an attorney. I just need help getting 1k or 2k from a couple of very nice people (I just don't know what to do to get it, if you have any ideas please let me know), Ill pay the rest with school loans :/.. and then Ill be done with this problem.

I did speak to the insurance and they will try to lower the amount I owe from 10k to 2-3k so that's really nice but I would like to just pay this thing and be done with it. Kinda a pain having to deal with this stuff for 6 months. plus I'm the one going to collection right now, ether I had a crummy lawyer who had good rating or I should just pay for this.

Old March 1st, 2016, 10:02 AM   #10
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

It's what insurance does when they have to pay. They will do everything to pay as little as they can so if they deal personally with the person they can usually get this to happen. Plus it adds the feeling that they are concerned with your well being, don't forget it's their job to handle these issues day in and out.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 1st, 2016, 10:02 AM   #11
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
well I agree about her paying for this but its been like 6 month since the accident and the lawyer helped me get help from her insurance to pay for my medical insurance charges. I literally just finished dealing with the lawyer a few days ago, I feel like its just a little late for an attorney. I just need help getting 1k or 2k from a couple of very nice people (I just don't know what to do to get it, if you have any ideas please let me know), Ill pay the rest with school loans :/.. and then Ill be done with this problem.

I did speak to the insurance and they will try to lower the amount I owe from 10k to 2-3k so that's really nice but I would like to just pay this thing and be done with it. Kinda a pain having to deal with this stuff for 6 months. plus I'm the one going to collection right now, ether I had a crummy lawyer who had good rating or I should just pay for this.
The accident was her fault, she should be paying for everything to make you right.

It should be a no-brainer for any decent attorney.

I mean I could use $1k-$2k from a couple of nice people too and I haven't been in a motorcycle accident in years.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 10:04 AM   #12
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Personal injury statute of limitations is 2 years in Georgia (http://statelaws.findlaw.com/georgia...ions-laws.html), so it is not in any way too late. Take her insurance company to court; they'll likely settle for the full amount rather than have to deal with it.

There is literally NO reason to not go after this.

Old March 1st, 2016, 10:26 AM   #13
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Sorry to sound harsh but you have not stated why you are liable for any expense if the accident is her fault or why your lawyer is not pursuing the matter and why you are hiding the story from your family. It comes across as a fraud to sucker people to send you money.
If it's legit; a lawyer should sue her & her insurance. If you're partially at fault then there may be a burden on you and it may be difficult to pay but your family should step up first before asking strangers to just hand you over money.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 10:27 AM   #14
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
If you go to the front counter, some offices have little signs explaining who else might be involved in your service. However, in ER cases, there's bigger priorities.

If you really are clueless why certain bills are showing up, call the number listed and ask "Who, what, why?" Be polite and just ask for clarification and you should be able to get answers.

***This next bit is assuming a general situation vs your specific case***

If you do end up with a massive bill after your insurance company has done their best to reduce the bill to contracted rates and paid out their portion, most billing companies (that I have dealt with) are willing to set up affordable payment plans. After my wreck, I ended up with a good chunk owed cause I had lousy insurance and a low paying job. I talked with the company, explained I was willing to pay the bill, and we negotiated a low monthly plan for me. Took a couple years, but got it paid off.

Old March 1st, 2016, 10:29 AM   #15
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
If you go to the front counter, some offices have little signs explaining who else might be involved in your service. However, in ER cases, there's bigger priorities.

If you really are clueless why certain bills are showing up, call the number listed and ask "Who, what, why?" Be polite and just ask for clarification and you should be able to get answers.

If you do end up with a massive bill after your insurance company has done their best to reduce the bill to contracted rates and paid out their portion, most billing companies (that I have dealt with) are willing to set up affordable payment plans. After my wreck, I ended up with a good chunk owed cause I had lousy insurance and a low paying job. I talked with the company, explained I was willing to pay the bill, and we negotiated a low monthly plan for me. Took a couple years, but got it paid off.
Amen.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 10:39 AM   #16
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
Personal injury statute of limitations is 2 years in Georgia (http://statelaws.findlaw.com/georgia...ions-laws.html), so it is not in any way too late. Take her insurance company to court; they'll likely settle for the full amount rather than have to deal with it.

There is literally NO reason to not go after this.
I'll look into it. I'm just trying to see where to get help because I spoke to the lawyer and I asked about a law suit. His response was that the car, the house, nothing is under the kids name. she doesn't work or have anything to lose since she's 17 and owns nothing so the court fees and other factors involved in a lawsuit would cost me more than I would be getting from her.

But I'll still look into it because although it is over, I I'm very resentful of her taking me out because she couldn't drive to the end of the block to turn. The worst part is that I had friends I met online and rode with weekly, we where going to the tail of the dragon in a few months. eerr sorry totally out of the topic but I'm going to remember missing out on that for a long time

Old March 1st, 2016, 10:40 AM   #17
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

One of the reasons I don't like driving in the USA, I have to pay for all eventuality insurance, because your insurance system is pathetic. There are loads of cases of under insured drivers causing accidents to locals & visitors.

In Europe, you have to have 3rd party insurance as a minimum & that basically means your insurance will pay any and all claims caused by your actions as the driver of the vehicle that caused the accident.

You can buy more comprehensive insurance that will pay out for your losses caused by your own actions, like car repair etc. But that's your cost, not the other persons.

Go chase the person that caused the accident, direct the insurers to deal with your lawyer ONLY.

Good luck
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 10:49 AM   #18
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Sorry to sound harsh but you have not stated why you are liable for any expense if the accident is her fault or why your lawyer is not pursuing the matter and why you are hiding the story from your family. It comes across as a fraud to sucker people to send you money.
If it's legit; a lawyer should sue her & her insurance. If you're partially at fault then there may be a burden on you and it may be difficult to pay but your family should step up first before asking strangers to just hand you over money.
Well I'll answer your questions too. I don't know why I was liable, since I came back 100% I was a little different then before and my family was handling everything with the attorney. I don't know why I had to pay but In my last reply I explained why the lawyer didn't pursue further. I'm also not hiding the story from my family, they have been part of this since day 1. It is not fraud because I dislike people like that and I'll show pics of my bike but my dad has them so that has to wait. My family will help me pay it also, it not just me with the loan and It was completely her fault. I was just driving home from school which I had been doing for month. The way she turn was for drivers in the opposite direction not for drivers in mine thus a completely illegal turn and from the middle lane I couldn't dodge it in time, she basically became a wall and my body was sent over her car.

Old March 1st, 2016, 10:57 AM   #19
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Quote:

I been part of this forum for like 2 years now but haven't returned since the accident. My god, talking to you guys makes me feel sad that I didn't just come to talk to you all before. geez you guys just make sense :/. Ill call today .. you guys are making me realize how talking to people who have knowledge in something your having problems with, should be done as early as possible. thanks

Old March 1st, 2016, 11:07 AM   #20
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Who was the lawyer here working for??

Quote:
I'll jump on the bandwagon saying you need an attorney not gofundme. Did the 17 yo or the insurance company have a lawyer but not you? Or was the attorney you mentioned here working for you? If he was working for you he's obligated to get you paid for these new bills too, just send them to him. If not, find a lawyer. Get an appointment for a free consultation and have everything together for him to start working on it.

Judges understand that a lot of people have a hard time making sense of medical bills and they'll hold the at-fault party liable if you get billed after you had already settled your claim. More importantly, insurance companies know this and would much rather just take care of it outside of court.

Between a couple divorces and some weird child custody stuff I can tell you a lawyer who knows his stuff and will tell you straight is a wonderful asset.

Old March 1st, 2016, 11:39 AM   #21
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
I been part of this forum for like 2 years now but haven't returned since the accident. My god, talking to you guys makes me feel sad that I didn't just come to talk to you all before. geez you guys just make sense :/. Ill call today .. you guys are making me realize how talking to people who have knowledge in something your having problems with, should be done as early as possible. thanks

No one is expected to be an expert in accident cases. Sadly, too many of us have experience in dealing with the aftermath so we can share what happened in our case.

I do hope that you can get this resolved without too much more difficulty. I am glad to see you back here and with us even if it is with this tough situation.

Good luck with the insurance and the lawyer (maybe consult a second lawyer?).

Old March 1st, 2016, 12:43 PM   #22
Animoto
ninjette.org member

I was considering having a new attorney after talking to you guys but after speaking to my woman, she reminded me that this case is over with already because I signed a paper back in June saying that I will not take any action against the kids family after this whole thing is over (I didn't think it was a good idea at the time but my family said to do it and I didn't know what else to do so I signed it). I did get some money from the lawyer from what was left after paying the insurance, and with that money + parents help, I can pay it off if its 2-3k (Ill find out in a week if it was lowered), I just really didn't want to be forced to pay 10k because my school loans are a little ridiculous and I did want to save some money in case I don't find work. I just thought If people help me with 10 dollars (not from this forum, im not asking you guys to donate just to help me figure out how to get the word out) or something small, it would be ok for everyone that's all.

Old March 1st, 2016, 12:59 PM   #23
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Well signing that paper was kinda dumb, but you don't need to sue the family, you need to sue, or otherwise put pressure on, her insurance company. The girl and her family have nothing to do with it. This is why people have liability insurance, to make their victims whole again. Find a lawyer and go after her insurance.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 01:26 PM   #24
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
I was considering having a new attorney after talking to you guys but after speaking to my woman, she reminded me that this case is over with already because I signed a paper back in June saying that I will not take any action against the kids family after this whole thing is over (I didn't think it was a good idea at the time but my family said to do it and I didn't know what else to do so I signed it). I did get some money from the lawyer from what was left after paying the insurance, and with that money + parents help, I can pay it off if its 2-3k (Ill find out in a week if it was lowered), I just really didn't want to be forced to pay 10k because my school loans are a little ridiculous and I did want to save some money in case I don't find work. I just thought If people help me with 10 dollars (not from this forum, im not asking you guys to donate just to help me figure out how to get the word out) or something small, it would be ok for everyone that's all.

I'd talk to your attorney and let him tell you that you're up a creek. I know your family and girlfriend are important to you, but DO NOT take legal advic from someone who isn't a lawyer. It's that simple.

It sounds like he messed up by letting you sign off on the settlement too early, without all the bills in hand. The settlement you got in June should be easy to take apart because you signed it without having knowledge of this other bill. Like I said these things happen all the time. The other driver's insurance company is absolutely responsible (legally, ethically, everything) to make you whole again after that accident. They do everything they can to minimize what they pay out. Sorry to sound harsh but your willingness to get pushed around makes that part of their job easier.

And hang on, how long were you out of commission? Your opening post said 3 weeks in the hospital and 2 more recovering at home? How long before you were able to return to work? They should reimburse you for any money you lost from missing work. And a 3 week hospital stay should be able to get you some kind of punitive damages for the pain and suffering you endured due to this kid's actions. I mean this is a wet dream for a hungry personal injury attorney. This might be a $50k+ case.

Like NevadaWolf said, there are ways of dealing with the creditors and paying the debt. But what you're telling us here is that someone else owes that debt, so make a serious effort to go down that road first. Stand up for yourself and go find you the meanest old PI attorney in town.

Like I said, hate to sound harsh but you gotta have some backbone in this life. Might as well go ahead and learn to use it!

Old March 1st, 2016, 01:56 PM   #25
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Quote:
I'll look into it. I'm just trying to see where to get help because I spoke to the lawyer and I asked about a law suit. His response was that the car, the house, nothing is under the kids name. she doesn't work or have anything to lose since she's 17 and owns nothing so the court fees and other factors involved in a lawsuit would cost me more than I would be getting from her.

But I'll still look into it because although it is over, I I'm very resentful of her taking me out because she couldn't drive to the end of the block to turn. The worst part is that I had friends I met online and rode with weekly, we where going to the tail of the dragon in a few months. eerr sorry totally out of the topic but I'm going to remember missing out on that for a long time

I'm no lawyer but if the girl is driving someone else's car, I believe the registered owner of the car can be pursued.

For example:
If a company truck rear ends you, you can go after the company. I think Tracy Morgan sued Walmart for his accident.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 02:31 PM   #26
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxpower? View Post
opening post said 3 weeks in the hospital and 2 more recovering at home? How long before you were able to return to work? They should reimburse you for any money you lost from missing work. And a 3 week hospital stay should be able to get you some kind of punitive damages for the pain and suffering you endured due to this kid's actions. I mean this is a wet dream for a hungry personal injury attorney. This might be a $50k+ case.

Like NevadaWolf said, there are ways of dealing with the creditors and paying the debt. But what you're telling us here is that someone else owes that debt, so make a serious effort to go down that road first. Stand up for yourself and go find you the meanest old PI attorney in town.

Like I said, hate to sound harsh but you gotta have some backbone in this life. Might as well go ahead and learn to use it!
Ok. Tell me if you think getting a PI attorney is still a good idea by the end of the full story. I think my lawyer sucks, I feel like he was no help.

Idk which coverage he got but he basically got something like the "Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury" (idk if that's the exact one he got) which was 55k. This was used to pay the insurance, himself, and me. The deal was 60/40 and of course I'm 60 and his 40. well after paying the insurance from that money he basically got a few more dollars than me and said that the 10k had to be paid from the settlement that I received. But that's basically all he did, he just got the money from both of our insurance. My school is expensive, I lost 8k from not finishing that semester. After fully recovering I went to therapy for 10 weeks, which was paid by my mom's insurance and my family. Now I'm trying to not lose more but it is an extra 10k I would be losing. That is the sole reason I started the GFM campaign.

Here is my question, if the lawyer got the insurance money and split it in 3, do I even have a case anymore?

I just don't want to use the money they gave me to fight a case, lose, and lose even more money.

Last futzed with by Animoto; March 1st, 2016 at 04:25 PM.

Old March 1st, 2016, 04:21 PM   #27
Animoto
ninjette.org member

For those of you who wanted to see pictures of the wrecked bike. Well I got them but I can't figure out how to post it here. If you guys still want to see them please let me know how to upload them.

Old March 1st, 2016, 05:49 PM   #28
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Dearest Will,

I believe, after reading this thread, that you have not completely recovered from this accident. You seem to have lost some of your mental facilities. Anything you signed under this condition should be deemed null. Not only have you lost your reasoning ability but you seem to be unable to recognize being duped by an attorney, an insurance company, a hospital, and numerous Doctors.

I believe the proper attorney could, and should, be able to win a huge settlement from this accident.

Old March 1st, 2016, 06:02 PM   #29
chugs
Schönen Tag noch

Name: c

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250 race bike, 02 gixxer 600 telefonica

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Dearest Will,

I believe, after reading this thread, that you have not completely recovered from this accident. You seem to have lost some of your mental facilities. Anything you signed under this condition should be deemed null. Not only have you lost your reasoning ability but you seem to be unable to recognize being duped by an attorney, an insurance company, a hospital, and numerous Doctors.

I believe the proper attorney could, and should, be able to win a huge settlement from this accident.
100% agree.
chugs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 06:19 PM   #30
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Get a good attorney.
You can also take this to a civil level for lost time at work, pain, suffering etc.
Stop posting about it, remove the gofundme and call a civil lawyer.

Old March 1st, 2016, 09:48 PM   #31
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Well honestly I didn't see this coming when I posted this thread. But of the responses you guys have given me, I have to agree that I was "unable to recognize being duped".

If you guys still think I have a case even after the lawyer did the settlement I'll have to look into it. I really don't like being duped because I didn't realize it was happening.

My only issue was not knowing whether I still had a case or not, especially after the settlement. But if after reading the full story, you guys think I still have a case, I'll take your advice and attempt something with a better attorney.

Old March 1st, 2016, 11:10 PM   #32
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
http://www.russbrown.com

what do you have to lose?

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2016, 12:31 PM   #33
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Well honestly I didn't see this coming when I posted this thread. But of the responses you guys have given me, I have to agree that I was "unable to recognize being duped".

If you guys still think I have a case even after the lawyer did the settlement I'll have to look into it. I really don't like being duped because I didn't realize it was happening.

My only issue was not knowing whether I still had a case or not, especially after the settlement. But if after reading the full story, you guys think I still have a case, I'll take your advice and attempt something with a better attorney.
It isn't what we think. It's what an attorney thinks. Talk to a good one.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2016, 12:32 AM   #34
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
It is not your job to prove there is a prima facie.

It is the lawyer's job.

As long as both parties (defendant and plaintiff) are still well and alive, you can always get a summon of hearing for a case. It would also be a great indicator of your innocence if you could get a third party, which saw the accident clearly, from a different vehicle and stand his / her view that the girl actually conducted an illegal traffic move.

This is what i did for a living before (summon of appearance, estate administration, will writings).

Last futzed with by Abu_Mishary; March 4th, 2016 at 12:47 AM. Reason: added few info
Abu_Mishary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2016, 09:56 AM   #35
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I am so very sorry that this happened to you. You seem like a nice person who, got injured and then taken for a ride thru the "system". I have been there myself just not anywhere nearly as bad as you. I did not know any better than you when I got hurt and got a lot of "friendly" advice. Just like you, the advice I got cost me some money. Everyone here has advised you to speak with a good attorney and (speaking from experience) I agree 100%. The medical bills can wait (I don't believe past due medical bills effect your credit) and a good lawyer can make your rainy day much nicer. You seem to have some lasting, long term effects from this incident and should be compensated! Please post back after you have contacted a (stressed( reputable) Stressed again) attorney. I believe we will all feel better once you have done this
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2016, 10:34 AM   #36
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
@Animoto, sorry about your situation and hope you have returned to a normal, healthy life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
I don't believe past due medical bills effect your credit
They are making changes yes... but they STILL do show up on your credit. Some creditors may not pay any mind to the separated section labeled "medical" but a bank reviewing your credit for a mortgage will not give you a free pass on this section.

The general rules are;
You're mostly safe if the creditor has not sent it to collections
You're "sort of safe" if you answer the collections call from the agency and agree
If you ignore the calls and make no effort/arrangement to pay the debt, expect it to show on the report in the following manner;

Quote:
30 days late – This record will damage your credit scores most when it is recent. The exception is if you are 30 days late often. Otherwise, a single 30-day late payment should not cause lasting damage.

60 days late – Similarly, recent 60 day late payments cause the most damage. Again, the exception is if you are 60 days late often which will certainly hurt your scores. Otherwise, one late payment should not cause long term damage.

90 days late – This record will damage your credit scores significantly for up to 7 years. It doesn’t make a difference whether or not your account is currently 90 days late. Remember, the goal of the scoring model is to predict whether or not you will pay 90 days late or later on any credit obligation. By showing that you have already done so means that you are more likely to do it again compared to someone who has never been 90 days late. As such, your credit scores will drop.

120+ days late – Late payment reporting beyond the initial 90 day missed payment does not cause additional credit score damage directly. However, there is an indirect impact to your scores. At this point, your debt is usually “charged off” or sold to a 3rd party collection agency. Both of these occurrences are reported on your credit files and will lower your credit scores further.
Get legal help you trust, leave no stone unturned, get a free copy of your credit report and go through it, make creditors provide itemized copies of your bills, if they can't provide it, request demand anything that can't be proven be removed. Have your legal assistance work any settlements you are due and make payment plans for any remaining debt.

This sucks, it's hard and very aggravating work but, will save you $1000's of dollars, you will learn a few things along the way but most importantly... will continue to save you $1000's of dollars in the future with other creditors in the form of lower interest rates via a better credit score.

Good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2016, 01:52 AM   #37
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu_Mishary View Post
It is not your job to prove there is a prima facie.

It is the lawyer's job.

As long as both parties (defendant and plaintiff) are still well and alive, you can always get a summon of hearing for a case. It would also be a great indicator of your innocence if you could get a third party, which saw the accident clearly, from a different vehicle and stand his / her view that the girl actually conducted an illegal traffic move.

This is what i did for a living before (summon of appearance, estate administration, will writings).
at this point. I think the lawyer duped me. I now realize that if the lawyer had paid for the medical bills he would get a lot less money, thus he didn't pay for it. ill find out next week if the insurance lowered it but i don't want to speak to that lawyer any longer. and there where witnesses but even the cops know the turn was illegal. you can't turn there from the direction we were driving

Old March 5th, 2016, 02:01 AM   #38
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
I am so very sorry that this happened to you. You seem like a nice person who, got injured and then taken for a ride thru the "system". I have been there myself just not anywhere nearly as bad as you. I did not know any better than you when I got hurt and got a lot of "friendly" advice. Just like you, the advice I got cost me some money. Everyone here has advised you to speak with a good attorney and (speaking from experience) I agree 100%. The medical bills can wait (I don't believe past due medical bills effect your credit) and a good lawyer can make your rainy day much nicer. You seem to have some lasting, long term effects from this incident and should be compensated! Please post back after you have contacted a (stressed( reputable) Stressed again) attorney. I believe we will all feel better once you have done this
I spoke to russ brown because he was suggested here. he was in california so he can't help but I am going to try to contact some one here in georgia this week. I just want them to tell me if i still have a case that all.

Oh and btw the 10k that I owe, I just found out today that it was for some therapy i received in the hospital. Sad thing is that it was only ~1 week of hospital therapy because sadly I don't remember this but my gf tells me I had forgotten what leaves and trees are, trains, simple things (not asking for pity sorry if it feels like that, I just didn't know it was that bad until she mentioned it today, so i thought I'd share it).. I didn't realize it was that bad but wow... Still 10k for a ~week is some real robbery

Well its over guys. I spoke to someone and they said once you receive a settlement your case is done. thanx for the talk I appreciate it

Last futzed with by Animoto; March 5th, 2016 at 01:44 PM.