ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #1
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

Is the 250 a throw away bike for newbies?

This is a long post...

I've met a slew of 250 riders over the past 2 years. About 98% of those 250 owners were new to motorcycles, with the 250 being their first bike. Funny thing is that the overwhelming majority of those people (including me) wanted to upgrade to a larger bike within weeks or months of acquiring their 250. Even on this forum, many new riders talk about moving on to a larger bike without even owning the 250 for a year. I'm not sure if this is a problem or what Kawasaki, and now Honda, wants. Regardless, this is happening a lot. In contrast, it seems like the seasoned riders, those that owned other bikes in the past or have ridden for some time, swear by the 250 and absolutely love it. They keep their 250s for many years. It's very strange.

The 250 is marketed as the bike to learn on. It's small. It's light. It's forgiving. The gas mileage is amazing. And, it's fun. Despite all of this, many new riders get a larger bike within a year of getting their 250. It's like the 250 is disposable. "I've learned. Time to move on..." "I want something with more pickup." "The 250 doesn't feel planted on the highway." "I can't keep up with the larger bikes." These seem to be the common reasons for moving on.

I was in the same boat. I had a love/hate relationship with the 250. I knew I wanted a larger bike a few weeks after getting the 250. 8 months later I got the ZX6. Loved it (still do). Just what I wanted from the beginning. But I kept the 250 and tried to give it to my Mom to ride (that didn't work out BTW). I was able to continue learning on the 250 and ZX6. And as a result, I have an appreciation for the 250 that I think many new riders don't have. The problem is that those riders probably won't appreciate the 250 until after they get another bike or never will. As a 250 owner, it's saddens me to see such a great bike tossed to the side like a moldy dish rag. Craigslist is a testament to this trend. The number of new-gen 250s for sale on that site is staggering

I've wanted to post my thoughts on this for sometime. I always felt it was a bit controversial and didn't want to start a flame war like this. But after seeing a few buddies switch from the 250 to a larger bike this year and talking with them about it, I really wanted to hear what the forum had to say.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Started on my 250 three years ago and still loving it with no urge to upgrade.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #3
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I think it's just an American thing to want more. A 250 when compared to what else is available, is basically an "entry level" bike. Americans are too greedy and egotistical to be okay with that. Always comparing. Always wanting more, bigger, faster, more expensive, more likely to make their neighbor jealous. People without that state of mind are more secure and happier overall. Able to enjoy things for what they are without regard for what others might think about their "beginner's bike".

So if you feel the need to upgrade, that's understandable. But first, ask yourself why? Ask yourself if a bigger, faster bike didn't exist, would you still feel the "need" for something bigger or faster?
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #4
kkim

"Bigger, better, faster, newer, sleeker, lighter, improved, redesigned, blah, blah, blah...." marketing... it's all marketing and the ad people know their market. With motorcycles, any manufacturer knows who their target group is and the buzz words needed to make you feel like if you aren't riding the latest incarnation of their super, redesigned product, you're a dufus who doesn't know what riding is all about.

As a whole, the younger/newer riders fall for the hype and get caught into believing the ad speak they hear. They want to be "hip", so they want what is perceived/brainwashed to be the baddest MF machine they can put between their legs. That's how the industry is run and always has been.

The reality is that 90% (or 100% if you're a pessimist) of owners of the ninja 250 will never be able to ride their bikes to it's full potential. They just think their abilities are being held back by such a pedestrian bike and so they move up thinking their shortcomings as a rider are going to be somehow magically fixed by buying a bigger bike.

I really feel that if people were to stick with a bike like the 250 ninja for at least a couple of years, their graduation to the "next" level would be without the mishaps newer riders usually encounter when they find themselves riding above their limits... hence the bad reputation of squidly GSXR riders.

The older 250 ninja riders seem to have gone through this cycle of "bigger is better" and have come to realize that riding a bike... any bike, is 80% rider and 20% machine. In fact, the less potent the machine, the more the rider has to contribute to make riding a bike at 100% a success. In the 250 ninja, riders have found it to be a great bike DESPITE the manufacturers plan for selling you a bigger bike next year. The more experienced riders understand this and can see past the ad hype for what a great ride this bike is. Relatively lightweight, handles great right out of the box, reliable... if anything, I think Kawasaki made this bike TOO good, if their plan was to have the beginners move up. The smarter beginners learn it's true value before they catch the upgrade fever, but unfortunately, the majority does not.

That they sell their bikes to move on only makes used bikes more readily available for the new riders just entering the sport, which to me is good thing. If you ever find a former 250 ninja rider on a bigger bike and they don't look back at their 250 ownership with some degree of respect and fondness, then they never rode the bike long enough to learn the real value of what they truly owned. For those riders, I feel a real sense of sadness.

to each his own... I don't begrudge anyone who sells their 250 ninja... just don't do it thinking it was the ninjette's shortcomings that was the lacking ingredient.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 02:07 AM   #5
Fly'in Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): C-250R-ST

Not able to keep up with their friends when they're riding...the need for more power!! So they move up to a moto with a larger engine.
Fly'in Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #6
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

Amen! To what KKim said.

Old April 12th, 2011, 03:30 AM   #7
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
The ninjette is not a throwaway for noobs. My first bike was a small engine bike to learn on, then I moved up. Well, here I am years later, and years wiser, and I'm back on a 250. Not because I'm a beginner who needs a forgiving, inexpensive bike, but because I think it offers a great riding experience and a great value. And because I'm mature enough to care more about reality than appearances.

As a weekend toy: 600s can be a good choice if you need more top end on the highway. But on riding roads, a good rider on a ninjette is faster than a bad rider on a 600. I've ridden with guys on 600s and have no issues at all with keeping up. I have to work harder than they do, and you know what, that is AWESOME. I love shifting up and down, I love hitting 10+k revs. I actually get to ride my bike and have much more fun than they do. And when I'm a bit slower, I'm STILL having more fun.

As a safe ride: We all know motorcycles can be dangerous. But seriously, there are two types of people who push the limits of their literbikes. Dead people and those who will soon be dead. Why buy a bike that will never safely get out of second gear? Or one where the margins between riding safe and launching off the road can be bridged by a sneeze. "Hey, I'm a bigger man than you because I can control all this power!" Whatever, I'm too busy having fun working my bike to the limits to care while you stay in 1st and deal with micrometer throttle adjustments. No thanks.

As a commuter vehicle: The ninjette is an inexpensive, practical commuter. For under $4 grand new, you get 60mpg and a throttle that doesn't threaten to drive over the car in front of you in traffic, while being narrow enough to lane share (especially with the narrow stock mirrors), and still keeping the looks to avoid scooter commuter embarassment.

As a hobby: The ninjette has a rich aftermarket serving it, with plenty of weekend projects to keep an amatuer wrencher happy. The perfect blend of stock reliability with lots of choices for upgrades if you want them. Simple to work on for the most part. Fun to ride, practical to ride, fun to work on. Why pay more for less?

Floyd's Theorum: The best motorcycle = ((able to work the gears + high revving + good cornering ability + safely able to work near limits)/(intital cost + annual fuel consumption)) + interesting aftermarket + good looks. Unless you need a 600 for lots of interstate travel, and you want a more relaxed ride on the way, in my mind there isn't a practical reason for moving up from the starter ninjette.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #8
ggaskill
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Gabe

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Well this is my first bike and I only have about 800 miles under my belt so I'm still a noob but I can say this. The 250r has almost to much power I find myself not looking down at the spedo and doing like 20 over and thinking, oops. So I could not see what a 600 could do, as the little ninja is more than enough power.
ggaskill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #9
Error_mage
ninjette.org member

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold), 2001 Suzuki SV 650S

I’m one of those newer riders who thought about upgrading, and probably will be upgrading in one or two years when my brother acquires his license and takes over the 250. The thing I’m already missing are the incredible light weight and maneuverability and the fact that the bike is so forgiving and confidence inspiring. Thinking about it, the bike is probably the best ‘beginner’ bike out there and generally a great bike with only two main drawbacks which one can either tolerate or not.

Power: has been mentioned already, the 90mph top makes highways a pain, passing cars becomes a drawn out process (being stuck behind a cage for miles when going trough great twisties is a downer and can make it difficult to keep up with bigger bikes at times).

Size: more of a personal problem but seems to come up once in a while, The ninja seems to be made for smaller/lighter people than me, as my knees/riding pants have begun to scuff up the top edges of my tank. Because my legs are slightly cramped, longer rides can become a bit uncomfortable. (Of course this means I can easily flat foot the bike and don’t have to worry about 0mph drops a lot)

These things keep the little ninja from being a perfect fit for myself and thus I’ll eventually upgrade in search of that perfect match.

(Of course these are just personal impressions and relate to local riding/road conditions, which may differ from those in the states)

Old April 12th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #10
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

The "bigger is better" mentality has been with me since I started riding in 1982 and it hasn't shown any hint of going away. I've been going against that grain in all my bike purchases in that time, with the largest bike owned a 400cc. I don't want more power than I need and the weight of a bike is very important to me. With the newer and more efficent 250 engines producing almost as much power as I felt on that old 400, why would I want more?
I'm in the process of upgrading to a new bike right now, but I'm going latterally instead of bigger, I'm getting a CBR250R for the improvements in technology over the Ninjette while staying in the same HP ballpark. Riding a 250 is too much fun and way too practical for me to switch to something bigger. I can't see paying more in insurance, excise tax and probably speeing tickets when I can get more fun and utility from a 250 on the cheap.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #11
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

I thought I made a mistake within the first two weeks of not getting a bike I could grow into. A 650r perhaps? A 500r? Well, three years later it still feels great to have a Ninja 250. It still puts a smile on my face every time I ride.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 04:40 AM   #12
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I'm in the process of upgrading to a new bike right now, but I'm going latterally instead of bigger, I'm getting a CBR250R for the improvements in technology over the Ninjette while staying in the same HP ballpark.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 04:50 AM   #13
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I'm getting a CBR250R for the improvements in technology over the Ninjette while staying in the same HP ballpark.

Old April 12th, 2011, 05:02 AM   #14
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

Yeah, I want to get a ZX6R in the future but I've set no timeline and I plan on keeping the 250r as well. It's not a problem for Kawasaki because the whole point is to get people started on their brand so that they hopefully will follow an upgrade path with their products, which is where they can really make money.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #15
jstrain
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '04 Aprilia RSV, '10 Bonneville, '10 Ninjette

I started out on a Shadow 600 cruiser and kept going from there. Larger Shadow, couple Sprint RSs, R1, etc.

I bought the 250 after all of that because I had so much fun on the track on a borrowed one. I've only put about 400 miles on mine, but I'm loving it even more than I expected.

That said, it doesn't scratch the same itch that the Aprilia does. I just can't get over the big twin makes or what it feels like to really open it up.

Old April 12th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #16
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

See my signature.

Old April 12th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #17
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

While I don't consider it a "throw away bike" I will recognize the fact that many people get into motorcycling so that they can ride their dream machine. Whether that's a CBR or the S1000rr or a Ducati or an HD, the bottom line is that the desire will be there to go after that bike when the time is right.

I don't see a problem with this, especially with new riders. While the 250 is a fantastic bike, there's a huge variety of bikes out there, each offering a different riding experience. While some may be content with staying with the same bike for several years at a time, others will want to ride as many different bikes as possible....to "sew their wild oats" so to speak.

Is this a strike against the 250? Absolutely not. It has it's weaknesses like any other bike. There are several veteran riders on this board that have been riding for decades, have owned dozens of different bikes, and have chosen the 250 as their bike of choice. That alone should speak volumes about the attributes of the 250.

It's a good, solid bike, and in the right hands it can do amazing things. While there is that eagerness to upgrade, you have to be honest with yourself about your own abilities. Larger/faster bikes will demand more of you. That's all there is to it. If you can't step up and meet that demand, you will regret it. There's a reason most of us here will recommend the 250 as a bike to learn the ropes on. That doesn't mean that it's a lesser bike by any means.

I loved my ninja 250 and I will own another one in the future (probably the same one if I have anything to say about it). Will I be going back anytime soon? Well that depends on how much money and storage space I can aquire. There's a lot of bikes out there....tons. And I plan on riding and owning as many of them as possible.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #18
Seattle_Chris
Newb since 10/2009

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE. Slowly morphing to ADV bike. :D

I'm a big fat dude, so when going up mountain passes trying to stay at or above 85 in Utah, I could have REALLY used more power.

I tend to Cruise at 85 and get up to speed plenty fast enough. Faster than the traffic usually allows. It's really plenty powerful enough, even in our mountain passes. I fear I'm learning some BAD habits though, which I'm trying to correct, but we'll see.

I can flat both my feet, so I tend to be pretty careless at low speeds since stopping at odd angles doesn't mean much to me like it would on a taller, heavier bike. Also I rather molest the heck out of my throttle, as I don't have any chance of flipping it or even pulling a wheelie.

When I think of getting a bigger bike, which is often, I just think of what a BIGGER asshat of a pilot I'd be with more power, and I dial it down a bit.

But for lots of people, the first bike is just like a persons first laptop. You have to get one to see what features you use, and don't use, and would like, etc, etc, so you know what to get on your next bike. In my case, I tend to go semi-offroad, fire trails and the like. I take my Ninja on 'em and it holds up fine, but I think an enduro would suite me better. Also I camp a lot on the bike, so I've modded on hard saddle bags which I don't think is something most people would do.

I don't think anyone could do any finer than a Ninja if their interests lie in sport bikes, and their SANE use. If you're trying to race, stunt, offroad, or tour though, you might wanna start out with something more.

Also, I've had mine for like a whopping year and a half, and whenever I get bummed about certain things, I think about what *I'M* doing, and usually end up learning, and becoming a better pilot and resolving the issue without just powering through it with more CC.

Though here a few things I wish were options.

ABS. I've locked my breaks front/rear/both plenty of times. Bikebike's never let me down, and I've only lost minor control, but ABS sure would be nice.

Fuel Injection. Bikebike at least is a cold blooded mofo. I've gotten into some situations where it's died or tried to die when it's just not safe before he warms up. That and I've never worked on Carbs successfully, so working on Bikebikes kinda scares me. FI is cake though.

Electricity. Theirs no accessory sockets, or spare fuses in block for wiring in accessories, and it doesn't make tons of electricity for heated gear.

Luggage. Theirs no nice way of putting lugging on a Ninja. On the one hand, it's a sport bike. You don't put luggage on sport bikes. But as a starter bike, it'd be nice if they had some options to lean more towards a sport/touring bike. I think adding more electricity and luggage mount points would stretch the viability of the bike to a larger crowd.

Ahh, I'm about off work so I'm just rambling now, so I'll go. But you could TOTALLY do worse than a 250 Ninja, especially if your expectations are realistic.
Seattle_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #19
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja 2002, 2008 ZX10-R

I'm on my 20th motorcycle, and 4th 250 ninja with #3 and #4 sitting in my garage right now. My previous bike was an '08 ZX-10R. I was the guy you'd see doing stand-up wheelies on the freeway and stoppies at every single stoplight that had a smooth,flat section of pavement. Never crashed doing either after thousands of each.

Strangely enough, even though I've geared the 250 ninja up, I actually had to gear down the ZX-10R to get adequate acceleration and also install a timing retart eliminator to overcome Kawi's nanny like controls on the big bike. Bike was a blast but even with 172hp at the wheels, I found myself wanting more power. I was never a speeder, always did 5-10 over and nver cruised faster than that but I loved to accelerate.

Problem with the ZX-10R is that geared down and speedo error corrected, it got a low 30mpg avg. Also, I wore out a set of tires within 300 miles. When you have a bike with that much power, you need sticky tires...no sport touring garbage. Tires are roughly $300 a set installed. I got a great geal on it brand new at $9650 OTD but I eventually sold it due to being "over it." While I enjoyed the hooligan antics everywhere I went, I couldn't help but think that someday I was going to make a mistake and crash in spectacular fashion. Owning a bike like that weighs on your mind. You are always preparing yourself mentally for the worst. I don't feel that way on the 250.

The ninja 250 you know it's not for the speed. At least you know if it's not your first bike. Maybe new owners make the mistake of thinking it's going to be fast becasue of the way it looks. I bought mine for the gas mileage since I have a long commute, and also because a set of tires is $100. Because of the tall sidewalls, I can mount them myself. I bought a gravity balancer for $40 from harbor freight and balance them my self too. And, a set of Kendas has been lasting many riders 15k miles or more with conservative riding habits.

So while I found myself pinning the throttle on the ZX-10r, I actually almost never pin it on the 250 unless I need to pass someone urgently. MPG and efficiency is the name of the game with this bike.

I just decided to buy my 4th 250 ninja a few days ago since I found a cheap 2005 model for $660 not running with some nice ladies gear thrown in on the deal and a nice bike cover. My wife has her M1 license but I sold her 250 ninja last year cause she wasn't riding it. If she doesn't use this one, I'll use it since these bikes don't last forever.

I think if I wasn't commuting and wanted a bike, I prob wouldn't be on a ninja 250, but with the miles I'm putting on...you can see that $300 tire changes every $3k miles kill the deal for sure.

For example, on my ZX-10R @ 30mpg, I'd spend $4400 in gas at current rates to go 30k miles. But, an extra $3600 in tires and 2 valve adjustments over that 30K mile period. That effectively makes the ZX-10R equivalent to getting 16-17 mpg when compared to the price to operate an avg econo car for example which gets 30mpg but whose tires will last 40k or more and needs only regular fuel.

So while a modern high powered sportbike is not really cost effective for commuting, the ninja 250 actually is; which is why I ride them. And set up properly, they can be a riot in the corners. I have a friend who smokes everybody in the corners with his =)

Old April 12th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #20
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I just bought my ninja last thursday, Although I had ridden one quite a bit last summer. I love this thing like nothing else, I can honestly say it's the best purchase I've ever made. I have found some drawbacks, such as the bike being a little short length wise for me to tuck in (I'm 6'2" or so). But overall I really couldn't be happier, I mean you show me a bike that handles better than the 250, with 5mpg give or take...o wait...you can't. The cbr 250r is suppose to be in the same ball park as our beloved ninjettes; Well I'll tell you what, from reviews of the bikes head to head the cbr 250r is worse in every aspect besides mpg and even the mpg isn't a huge difference, I could get 70 mpg from my ninjette with a sprocket switch and driving a tad easier. I don't need a bike that goes 0-150mph because I'm never on a track and I'm a safe driver/rider. Ok, I have to leave for class now, I'll be expecting more opinions after class is over .

Old April 12th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #21
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Count me in as a veteran rider thats spent time on lots of different bikes....I chose the 250 as a permanant member of the garage, and the bike i ride the most.
It just is a combination of everything i need in a bike, and nothing i dont. Anything else would be a compromise.

If i went with a supersport, sure it would give me more power, but now i have to deal with a supersports twitchy nature.
If i went to cruiser, sure it would be more comfortable for longer rides, but now i have to deal with a pig that wont run the twisties like im used to.

Everything other than the 250r has some sort of compromise involved in it. The 250r is the bike for me that offers the little to no compromise.

I get the gas milage i want, the sportbike looks, the twisty carving action, the forgiving nature, the cheap maintanance, the low initial cost, the cheaper insurance, the power to break speed limits, or just cruise. Its just the quintessential motorcycle.

So no, i dont consider it a throwaway bike....actually i consider it the real "upgrade"...for riders that realize what a real streetable bike is.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 08:17 AM   #22
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

I wouldnt call it a throwaway bike, but large displacement bikes and small displacement bikes have their pros and cons. I dont see anything wrong with wanting a bigger bike, same way I dont see anything wrong with wanting a smaller bike. I would choose a husky supermoto over say a gsxr1000 anyday, allthough after taking a demo ride on a bmw s1000rr I would buy one of those in a heartbeat even though I would never reach the potential of that bike in my lifetime.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #23
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

It is so simple... say, you're a new driver, and you learn on a Civic with a stick... after a couple of months you want a Mustang. Then a Corvette... then a Lambo.

After a few years driving all these cars you realize they aren't much fun on the street, cuz you use 30% of their potential... so you keep that M6 for the track, and get yourself a Civic with a stick, to wring it out on public streets and have fun.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #24
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

The 250 Ninja is totally a throw away bike, no doubt. Put it out at the curb tonight

Old April 12th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #25
lunerkid
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Bought the 250 as my first bike to learn on. Had the intent to upgrade to a 600 soon enough. A year and a half later I have a much greater respect for the bike and will be keeping it for a much longer time.

I've been contemplating getting an sv650 just for more lower end torque which I would like, but the 250 will be with me for a long time.
lunerkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #26
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

I've only had the 250 for about 8 months, but I can tell you I've most definitely thought about upgrading. Especially after not riding for a few weeks in a row, the thought always creeps into my mind, but as soon as I get back on the 250 I can't help but think why do I need something bigger? I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually, but I know the 250 will be staying in the garage.
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #27
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

My thought on the topic is this, there is nothing wrong with moving to a more powerful bike. Its human nature to want something 'better' and bigger than what you have at the moment. This drive is what makes us great - it leads to innovation, ambition, and innitiative in other endeavors of life. There is also that internal question floating around, "Wow, can I handle one of these 600s?" You just have to find out at some point.

Now, what some others have said is correct - very few people can ride a 250 to its limits. However, my opinion is that if you have grasped the basic proficiency and safe function of a motrcycle, there is nothing wrong with moving up to a more powerful bike. Some people on this board make it seems like the height of irresponsibility to move up to a 600 after a season on the 250, but there are countless numbers of folks who may not be able to wring a 250 to the limits who safely ride 600 well within their limits.

Fact of the matter is that if you are going to wreck a 600 because you are being irresponsible, you will likely wreck a 250. The only difference is that the 250 would have a higher 'forgiveness' threshold prior to doing so.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #28
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
However, my opinion is that if you have grasped the basic proficiency and safe function of a motrcycle, there is nothing wrong with moving up to a more powerful bike. Some people on this board make it seems like the height of irresponsibility to move up to a 600 after a season on the 250, but there are countless numbers of folks who may not be able to wring a 250 to the limits who safely ride 600 well within their limits.

Fact of the matter is that if you are going to wreck a 600 because you are being irresponsible, you will likely wreck a 250. The only difference is that the 250 would have a higher 'forgiveness' threshold prior to doing so.
+1

You have to try real hard to screw up on Ninja, while 600 can get over your head in a flick... OTOH, if you've been riding for a while, you should be able to spot the problem in time and deal with it.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #29
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja 2002, 2008 ZX10-R

SV650's are cool in the sense that they're inexpensive on the used market like 250 minjas and they get the best mpg of the mid-sized bikes in the low 50's if ridden responsibly. They also have plenty of torque when needed. If I was to get another bike because I thought I needed more power, I'd get an SV650S and throw some dorky touring tires on it and stay away from the corners and just commute. But again, for commuting, the 250 minja is a great bike. Tank bag holds everything I need for the day at work.

Problem is I can't just buy an SV and leave it alone. I'd want to put a GSXR front end on it, some sticky tires and an exhaust and ride it like an animal. Then I'd want to sell it and get another liter-bike. I really have been riding long enough to know that a 250 ninja is all that is ever needed.

Old April 12th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #30
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Upgrade to Habusa yoooo!!!
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #31
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
If you ever find a former 250 ninja rider on a bigger bike and they don't look back at their 250 ownership with some degree of respect and fondness, then they never rode the bike long enough to learn the real value of what they truly owned. For those riders, I feel a real sense of sadness.
I loved (and still do) my old 250. If I hadn't had to sell it to get that ZX I came across, then I would still have it. In fact, I kept tabs of it at the dealer I traded it to, and they have already sold it. I can only hope the new owner enjoys it as much as I did.

My wife has a TU250 and I love that thing. I geared up to ride it to get some two-liters a few nights ago. I could have taken the car, or the ZX, but that small bike is so much fun to ride and I geared up SPECIFICALLY to ride the small bike, lol. You really have to get your corners down and hold speed through them to be fast on the smaller bikes.

I think it is a maturity thing. Not an age thing, mind you, just the right attitude about motorcycling in general. It was always so funny when people asked me if the bike was a 600. I always proudly stated it was a 250, and people acted like I should have been embarrassed about riding it.

One other thing I do is make sure all the students I work with know it is a 250 when they ask what type of bike it is (well, now, was). I like to be a positive role-model for them, so I made sure they knew it was a sensible machine, and I always made sure to let them know that I ride ATGATT (well, OK, sometimes I ride a mile down the road in shorts, but always a helmet, and the students don't need to know that...shhh).

Old April 12th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #32
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
"Bigger, better, faster, newer, sleeker, lighter, improved, redesigned, blah, blah, blah...." marketing... it's all marketing and the ad people know their market. With motorcycles, any manufacturer knows who their target group is and the buzz words needed to make you feel like if you aren't riding the latest incarnation of their super, redesigned product, you're a dufus who doesn't know what riding is all about.

As a whole, the younger/newer riders fall for the hype and get caught into believing the ad speak they hear. They want to be "hip", so they want what is perceived/brainwashed to be the baddest MF machine they can put between their legs. That's how the industry is run and always has been.

The reality is that 90% (or 100% if you're a pessimist) of owners of the ninja 250 will never be able to ride their bikes to it's full potential. They just think their abilities are being held back by such a pedestrian bike and so they move up thinking their shortcomings as a rider are going to be somehow magically fixed by buying a bigger bike.

I really feel that if people were to stick with a bike like the 250 ninja for at least a couple of years, their graduation to the "next" level would be without the mishaps newer riders usually encounter when they find themselves riding above their limits... hence the bad reputation of squidly GSXR riders.

The older 250 ninja riders seem to have gone through this cycle of "bigger is better" and have come to realize that riding a bike... any bike, is 80% rider and 20% machine. In fact, the less potent the machine, the more the rider has to contribute to make riding a bike at 100% a success. In the 250 ninja, riders have found it to be a great bike DESPITE the manufacturers plan for selling you a bigger bike next year. The more experienced riders understand this and can see past the ad hype for what a great ride this bike is. Relatively lightweight, handles great right out of the box, reliable... if anything, I think Kawasaki made this bike TOO good, if their plan was to have the beginners move up. The smarter beginners learn it's true value before they catch the upgrade fever, but unfortunately, the majority does not.

That they sell their bikes to move on only makes used bikes more readily available for the new riders just entering the sport, which to me is good thing. If you ever find a former 250 ninja rider on a bigger bike and they don't look back at their 250 ownership with some degree of respect and fondness, then they never rode the bike long enough to learn the real value of what they truly owned. For those riders, I feel a real sense of sadness.

to each his own... I don't begrudge anyone who sells their 250 ninja... just don't do it thinking it was the ninjette's shortcomings that was the lacking ingredient.
I completely agree with the idea that most people upgrade from the 250r because they think they've outgrown the bike because they've "Maxed it out." I still to this day haven't reached the full potential of the 250 but I'm working my way there, given I've only ridden motorcycles for about 10 months I'm still learning/developing new techniques that work for my riding style. I don't think I'll ever sell my 250, I love how flickable it is, it just glides into corners. I'm not going to lie, in the beginning I was in the I've already outgrown this bike boat (Probably within the first 2 months of riding) but as I slowly got better at cornering I realized the true value of this bike. I enjoy riding this bike so much instead of taking the R6 I can ride to the track next month I'm taking my 250 because I think it will be much safer to know I'm not going more than 100 mph my first time out rather than knowing if I just give it too much throttle in second gear I can low side it because of torque issues. The only things I would change are my 250 are the Rear Sets and the Clip-Ons I want a more aggressive seating position but I'm not in the financial position right now to be spending money on after market parts

Summary:
I agree that most people upgrade too soon
I <3 my 250
kingkang204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #33
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

This may have been said all ready.(It's 3:30am, to tired to read) The 250r as always thought to be a bike to learn on. Ask anyone. 99.9% will say, "Hey! Thats a great bike to learn on!" Really, the bike performs just as well as any other sport bike. Yeah it may not have the 130+++Hp, but it makes due. I'd like to upgread, but why? Yeah it be fun to have a bike that can do a wheelie at 200 mph, but thats lame. I don't race,(tracks) and so don't the 90% of riders out there. A motorcycle was made to bring joy and pleasure to people. Not to say, "Hey dude, i'm bigger' lulzzz. Yeah, now i'm lost at thought. .

Old April 13th, 2011, 02:58 AM   #34
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Uggg i hate when people use the term upgrade when moving on to a bigger bike. an upgrade normally means something better then what you have, a bigger bike is not better just different. I am one of those who has purchased a 600cc bike but i do not look at it as an upgrade it is an enhancement to my riding hobby.

As for how long or how many miles you need before you move on, no one can tell you that, it is something you have to know about yourself, for me if you have to ask someone else if its time for you to move on then you are not ready. A while back i was very heavy on the throttle on my 250, i rode it like a mad man on the streets and even worse in the canyons. I had a slide at a slow speed had some bumps and bruises, the next day i thought it would be fun to run up mulholland for a ride, i took a turn far to hot and had to nut up push the bar look through the turn and hope my tires held, they did, when i straightened up my right elbow was hitting the canyon wall that moments ago i almost went head first into. this was the end of the unsafe aggressive riding for me. i went back to basics and rode with respect after that. had i got a bigger bike earlier i would have found myself in a whole lot of trouble. even a non ss fz6 has enough pull to get you in trouble. there are many mistakes i made on my 250 that on a 600 would have hurt me, too much on the brakes, accidental throttle in a corner, swerving to avoid a cage all things that would have been a struggle on a bigger bike but things my 250 helped me through and took care of me on. This are skills you will need on a 600, these are the skills a 250 will teach you.

with that said and i love my ninja there are things that a 600 is better for, i have gone everywhere on my 250 and after taking the 600 for a long ride it is way better on the freeway, more comfortable and the power is a whole lot of fun. they both have there ups and downs and both are well suited for what they do.

If you are the type of person that has a 250 for a month or two then run off to get a gixxer cause your bored of your 250 you are only fooling yourself. Those are the the people that go 100 on straights then cant take a corner for ****. they are the guys that watch you on the twisties and piss themselves trying to keep up. Dont be that guy, people need to take there time its a fiirst bike not last. Besides who says you cant have a 250 and a 600.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #35
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Man, if you have chicken strips it really doesn't matter what size bike you're on for the most part.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #36
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Kudos to 250R guru Kelly for his remarks on the subject- as always, on the mark and well stated.

When ever the urge to go buy that Ducati strikes, I force myself to reconsider the Law of Diminishing Returns. If I had the bank account of a Trump, I might have a stable of Ducks, but I don't, and retirement looms, so saving money is a huge priority.

It's still the best "real" motorcycle you can buy new for less than $4000, and yearly operating costs are a mere pittance.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #37
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Chris View Post
Though here a few things I wish were options.

Electricity. Theirs no accessory sockets, or spare fuses in block for wiring in accessories, and it doesn't make tons of electricity for heated gear.

Luggage. Theirs no nice way of putting lugging on a Ninja.
Wanted to share these with you, they have really helped me turn my 250 in a nice little sport tourer...

Powerlet 12v Outlet. The outlet itself may be found HERE and is $45.

I agree the 250 doesn't make a lot of power however my buddy runs heated gloves, jacket liner and pant liner with no issues on his 250, he uses the Tourmaster Synergy stuff from Motorcycle Superstore.

I added a Fuzeblock fuse block, may be purchased HERE for $80.

For luggage I installed a trunk onto a stock rear seat pan for $50, the thread may be found HERE.

So in the end I was able to add a fused 12 volt outlet, a switched/unswitched fuse block and trunk onto my 250 for $175, not too bad. These mods won't appeal to everyone but I wanted to share since you mentioned these were items you wished it had. Some like the trunk, some don't, I only care about being functional and having the ability to carry items with me easily (rain gear, tire repair kit, additional gloves, jacket liner, lunch, laptop, drinks, etc).

slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #38
Racer x

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I started on a zzr 600 then traided it in for a vfr 800. After spending 20 00 dollars all on credit. I paid cash for a 2008 250 ninja.Ii want to get another one.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #39
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

When I go into the dealership to lust and drool, I actually appreciate my 250 MORE. As much as newer, faster, etc. appeals to me, it feels like cheating. Heck, there are certainly prettier, sexier, thinner, etc. women out there, but can't bring myself to cheat on my wife..... kind of makes you appreciate what you do have in a way you forgot.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #40
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
When I go into the dealership to lust and drool, I actually appreciate my 250 MORE. As much as newer, faster, etc. appeals to me, it feels like cheating. Heck, there are certainly prettier, sexier, thinner, etc. women out there, but can't bring myself to cheat on my wife..... kind of makes you appreciate what you do have in a way you forgot.
I'm far from an expert on women, but I have dabbled here and there. My experience tells me that you better hope your wife doesnt read the board here.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote