ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old April 16th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #1
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrea

Motorcycle(s): None yet... hoping for a ninja 650 :) (yes, that is a motorcycling my little pony :) )

Practice make Perfect??

So, I've been reading these threads on shifting and... yes, I drive an automatic truck. I learned to drive stick shift from my friend in her truck but I always stalled at stop signs... (go figure... stop then go, not stop then turn the engine off! ) My dad has a little ATV that's a clutch and we've had it for a long time. It reminds me kind of a yamaha raptor.. but he calls it the thunderbike... I can't seem to find any info on it though. I always stalled it on hills so I just stuck to the automatic Polaris... I'm looking at going for my endorsement in October so my question is... should I practice on the thunder bike and get used to shifting? or will it be totally and completely different on a real motorcycle... it's got the shifty thingie for your foot on the left side and that's all i really remember about it other than it's green lol
andreafaerie91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Take the MSF, let them teach you. I had never ridden on a bike nor driven anything manual. MSF taught me everything I needed to know.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
If you have a resource to practice in a "safer" environment. 4 wheels in the grass... DO IT!!!! Lean to use the clutch/shifter to the fullest. Not all of it will transfer to the bike, but most of the fundamentals will. Besides, it will be fun too right?!!!!

Don't let that stop you from taking the MSF though! Do that too, you will thank yourself later.

Good luck and enjoy learning!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #4
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): None yet... hoping for a ninja 650 :) (yes, that is a motorcycling my little pony :) )

Oh yes! I'll be taking the MSF in October! That 4 wheeler needs to be ridden anyways... so I figured I'd pester dad into teaching me how to shift with my foot

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

+1. Knowing how to work a manual transmission will mean one less thing to pick up quickly while learning how to ride the bike. You can do it at the same time, but it's that much more challenging.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #6
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Besides, it will be fun too right?!!!!
Heck yes! I'll have my 8 year old niece with me! she loves riding on the 4 wheelers with me! (she's a little too short to reach the foot brake and the handlebars on her own lol)

Old April 17th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #7
Error_mage
ninjette.org member

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold), 2001 Suzuki SV 650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
+1. Knowing how to work a manual transmission will mean one less thing to pick up quickly while learning how to ride the bike. You can do it at the same time, but it's that much more challenging.
+1
Besides learning to use the transmission won’t take very long and then it’s just playing in the dirt ^^ that’s something I’d love to do but can’t afford atm..