ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 30th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #1
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Nearly hit a deer

Keep your eyes open folks, usually this doesn't happen until late Sept/Oct/Nov... but I've been working swings and getting off work at 10pm...

I keep a pretty good eye on the sides of the road, got to love them corn field canyons... Sure enough, last night... a doe walks out of the corn and crosses about 40 yards in front of me... Enough time to slow/stop and she was just mosey'n along... so all is good, but still.

between getting pelted with June bugs... ( I had to wash the bike because the mass of bug goo was starting to lower the gas mileage) and watching the corn fields like a hawk... I'll be glad when this project is over and I can go back to normal hours.
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #2
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Glad there was no contact.

Deer are less predictable than the craziest driver. I've seen them cross the road safely, then turn, run back into traffic, and get smacked. Never assume a deer is going to do anything except run into you.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2014, 06:16 AM   #3
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
Glad there was no contact.

Deer are less predictable than the craziest driver. I've seen them cross the road safely, then turn, run back into traffic, and get smacked. Never assume a deer is going to do anything except run into you.
Great advice, and remember while you are watching the deer in the road there are usually 1-2 more in the bushes waiting to follow! I have nearly hit the second or third after the first has past.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2014, 06:35 AM   #4
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Deer are a major hazard by me too. Lots of farmland and woods.

I try not to ride in the late hours when the are most active here. Less stressful!

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2014, 11:57 AM   #5
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Great advice, and remember while you are watching the deer in the road there are usually 1-2 more in the bushes waiting to follow! I have nearly hit the second or third after the first has past.
For sure. While travelling an elevated highway in my pickup, a doe came out of the deep ditch on my left and crossed in front of me. I hit the brakes and was congratulating myself on missing her when her yearling came charging after her. No way I was going to be able to miss him, but I was standing on the brakes anyway. Fortunately for me, his rear hooves slipped on the asphalt as he tried to cross the road and my right tires ran over his back before he could stand up. Killed him instantly. No damage to the truck at all, fresh venison, and little meat damage.
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.