ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old October 26th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Blue Hawaii
Master of Nothing

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha YZF600R, Kawasaki Ninja 250R, Honda CRF450X, CRF230F, CRF100F, CRF70F

Aloha from Hilo, Hawaii

Aloha from Hilo, Hawaii (Big Island) ~

My name is Blue and I've been lurking in the forums for quite some time now. I decided to join today to offer up some of my many years of motorcycle riding and tuning knowledge, as well as ask a few questions about things I don't know. I live by the motto: "Never stop learning". (That is what I always tell my two boys, anyway...)

The main goal here is to help out one another, have fun in the process and hopefully, make a friend or two along the way.

Although the 2008 Ninja 250R is not the bike I primarily ride, it was purchased for my girlfriend so that I don't have to always pack her on my Yamaha YZF600R when we go holo holo (cruzin') around the island. I was actually looking for bikes for another girl noobie rider that I had been coaching, and was looking to get her own bike. Since she is vertically challenged, I suggested several bikes for her to get her feet wet with riding. She had her mind set on a "crotch rocket", and when this one came up for sale on craigslist, I told her, "This is the one! Grab it"! When she gave me a handful of excuses why she couldn't buy the bike (or ANY bike for that matter, why in the hell did you ask me to look for you, dumb b!tch?), I asked my girlfriend if she wanted it. I don't think I finished my question before she gave me her answer, "HELL YEAH!!".

Blah, blah, blah... long story, short... I'm the 3rd owner, first guy got deported back to Tonga, sold it to a 23 year old chick who was killed in a car crash (drunk bf xmas eve). Her dad didn't know she had it, found the title, wanted to get rid of it as fast as possible. Had 677 miles, under tail kit, LED's, frame and swing arm sliders, a Z1R leather jacket and Scorpion EXO 700 helmet. The local shop wanted $5,400 OTD for a 2008 that was sitting on their floor. I figured that this one is "brand new" so it was a fair comparison. The father selling it wanted $3,900. I peeled off 39 Benjamins, he signed over the title and helped load it up in the back of my truck.

Since my girlfriend is vertically challenged as well (4'-11", 85 lbs), I had to lower it using Roaring Toyz 1" lowering handle bar riser blocks, lowering links from eBay and had to cut the side stand 1-1/2".

I found this site looking for mods to sync her carbs and shim the needles.

A brief history of my riding experience:
Born in So Cal in the mid '60's. Had cousins and friends with bikes. Started on a friends mini Taco similar to this one:

After that first ride, I was hooked! I made friends with anyone who had a bike, scooter or moped. Bought my first bike from a classmate with my allowance money when I was in the 6th grade. It was a hunk of chit called a Yamaha GT80 (actual bike).

My next series of bikes came in high school, from an older friend who was working at a tow truck company. They would get impounds and other bikes from the sheriffs department, hold them for so many days (I think it was 90) for someone to come and claim them. If no one did, they went up for lien auction. If there was a particular part or whatever that one of us wanted, it didn't really get advertised, so that we could just pay the minimum bid price. The next three bikes were purchased that way: (stock photos from internet search)

1980 YZ80

1980 RM125

1979 RM250

Funny how they look so dinosaur like now, but, back in the day, these were the chit!

In the mid '80's, my brother-in-law found two almost new Kawasaki 440 jet skis at a lien auction. I convinced my dad that these would bring our whole family together on the weekends down at the beach and we would be able to see more of each other. (Yeah, don't hate the player, hate the game...)

I had to laugh at those shorts I'm wearing! Photo is at Imperial Reservoir near Yuma, AZ.

Met a girl one day and asked if she wanted to go riding some time (these were often used as "bait" to get attractive chicks to go out with me and what better way to see them in a bikini?!) Turned out that her ex-boyfriend used to own the two skis that she was about to ride. One of them was "hers" and the other one (the one with all the mods on it) was "his". Pretty cool how I got the whole history on the skis and how he had lost them (couldn't pay his doctor bill, gave the doctor the skis as payment, doctor thought ex-bf would still be making the payments, but wasn't, repo man was called in and up for auction they went. Enter Me to buy them!)

I sold them when I moved here to Hawaii, and replaced them with a Honda CB-1 street bike. Long story short... a guy owed me money for construction work, he didn't pay, so I rode off with his bike. What a jack azz he was.

I've gone through quite a few bikes since then and I'm now down to "Family Fun" type of riding.

I ride a 2005 YZF600R and the 2005 Honda CRF230F (under going a CR125 fork upgrade at the moment). My girlfriend rides the 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R and the 2005 Honda CRF70F. My oldest son rides the 2006 Honda CRF100F and wants to move up to my 230 when I get it done, then my girlfriend will move to the 100 and my youngest son will start out on the 70. Gee... that leaves me with out a dirt bike... what to do... what to do...

BTW... the BMW has been sold. (I hated shaft drive!)

Well, as far as work goes, I'm a licensed general building contractor who hasn't had any work in over 2-1/2 years, living off of dwindling savings and bored out of my mind. Thank gawd for sunny weather and lots of friends who like to ride either street or dirt.

So, if you live close by and want to ride, hit me up and let's do it!

Aloha,

Blue.
Blue Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have ya!
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #4
kkim

Aloha and welcome, Blue.

Glad to see you finally made it. Sync and shims came out okay?

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #5
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Welcome mate, great read with great pictures!

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome. I like your avatar.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #7
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Welcome to the forum, you are already a member of this crazy lifestyle we call being a rider. I would say that there is alot to learn on here, but it sounds like you can be the teacher on some things. Welcome and glad to have another rider experienced in the thrill of the ride.

nb

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #8
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

aloha bruddah blue
welcome to da forum...am on kauai, but parents both from big island...hilo and mt. view side. got relatives and transplanted scum bag biker buddies scattered along the haumakua coast and lava fields

..so when people ask me since i live in hawaii, where do i go on vacation?
i say big island of course!

k den

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #9
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

hey, welcome and cool pics
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #10
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

YZF600R, another good choice!!

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #11
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Welcome Blue - glad to have you with us.

Old October 27th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #12
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Welcome! The red glow... is that lava down in there?
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #13
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

howzit blue. you should tell your gf to make an account too. good to have another hawaii rider on here.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #14
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Welcome Blue! It's great to have you with us, and since I'm another girl, I'll say what the guys are saying - your woman is an absolute hottie Adorable!

Old October 30th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #15
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

your girl should be a model if she already isn't she's gorgeous